Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

cptn_dr posted:

If people are bored of this they can tell me, but I made another Locked Tomb cocktail

I don't drink at all so I can't evaluate a drat thing about them aside from looks, but these are neat to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

https://twitter.com/ElixirLibris/status/1563386073086304257

Was this entire hobby building up to making this one incredibly stupid joke?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

cptn_dr posted:

Was this entire hobby building up to making this one incredibly stupid great joke?

Hell yeah it was :cheers:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It’s just Dr. Thunder, Admiral Nelson, and that Barstool Sports flavored vodka that sat by the register at my 7-11 with a slowly decreasing price for 6 months. A lovely drink for lovely teens.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

https://twitter.com/ElixirLibris/status/1563386073086304257

Was this entire hobby building up to making this one incredibly stupid joke?

:krad: FOURTH HOUSE RULES :krad:

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of what the other Houses are all about, but the Fourth is still kind of an enigma to me. I think they're like shock troops or assassins basically?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm not really sure either. My theory is that like many dictatorships, there is one regular military (Second) and one revolutionary guard esque loyalist force that keeps everyone else in line as well as fighting.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

My impression is the Fourth House is the frontline, the first sent out in to battle. Basically cannon fodder.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
The perception I have is 2nd House: officers and 4th House: grunts.

Also apparently some Kobo owners just got Nona early and I hate them.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
The Awful Teens definitely give the impression that being Fourth is a death sentence, in that they are cultivated to throw themselves into the meat grinder.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
The way I see it is this: for a military that requires dead soldiers (on either side) to power their abilities, having an entire house whose purpose is “be soldiers with a high likelihood of making at least one person dead”, they’ve managed to handily combine an advance guard, a supply of fresh corpses, narratives of heroic sacrifice for the propaganda machine, and an excellent example of what not to do for actually competent officers.

Alternatively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqaCEPwWGtc

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

big dyke energy posted:

That's a hell of an oversight :monocle: Definitely going to be careful of more spoilers going around but I think all the advanced readers have been pretty good about keeping things under wraps.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
My understanding of the 4th House is that they are the shock troops make first contact and establish the initial foothold who probably also commit horrific war crimes to provide the necromantic "juice" so to speak. They are aren't meant to die, but statistically certainly will after a few planetary landings. I kinda see them as Paratroopers with even more of a 19th century Light Cav "live fast die young reanimate my beautiful corpse" attitude.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

big dyke energy posted:

The perception I have is 2nd House: officers and 4th House: grunts.

I think it’s more like 2nd House = Army and 4th House = Marines, in that they eat crayons and are more likely to get exploded.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
2nd House are the people who joined the Army for paid college, 4th House are the True Patriots.

Also, I still don’t understand how AL would have been able to take over Harrow’s spirit. That theory doesn’t make sense to me.

ETA: the other thing I’m desperately curious about is who Harrow and Ianthe talked to from BoE before the Emperor’s forces rescued them from the First House planet. Considering Camilla, Coronabeth and Judith got taken from there and Harrow was informed how to treat the sword it had to be someone

Who did Ianthe have to talk to about a Queen? Who is the Queen she was talking about? This whole drat series is a mystery box and I love it and I’m so glad it’s coming out in 2 weeks

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 29, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DreamingofRoses posted:

Also, I still don’t understand how AL would have been able to take over Harrow’s spirit. That theory doesn’t make sense to me.

They've done a chinese firedrill with the bodies. I don't remember a theory of Al taking over Harrow?

• As a child Harrow made contact with the body, and got into the tomb with Gods Daughters blood acting as a key.
  • At Canaan House Harrow ate Gideon's soul.
  • Harrow then had Ianthe do brain surgery to prevent her from subsuming Gideon's soul fully into her Lyctorhood, which also prevented anything from controlling her body when she was in the river.
  • It is revealed that Gideon's dead body is not aging or decaying, which is obviously sus, and that its also in the hands of the Edenites with Cam and SexPal.
  • Meanwhile the ghost of Wake was stealing Cytherea's body in the physical while psychically assaulting Harrow in the river.
  • Eventually Gideon's soul gets control while Harrow is afk and a bunch of stuff happens and Gideon gets to meet her dad.
  • At the end of the big battle in the river Harrow realizes that if she goes back to her body she will inevitably finish eating Gideon's soul and lose her forever, so she pulls the ejection lever and permanently yeets herself from her own body
  • Harrow's soul goes full homing pigeon and returns home, to the now empty body of the Body, in the tomb.

We find out that Gideon the First also figured out the proper way to do Lyctorhood, and that Pyrrha Dve is still rocking away inside and they're both doing deep cover work for Edenites.

Somehow perfect Lyctorhood threatens Jod's position and he doesn't want that.

So you've got
Harrow's soul in the tomb
Gideons soul in Harrows body
~Something~ in Gideon's body as Nona (its Al)
SexPal's soul in a little skull doll
Bab's soul eaten by Ianthe
and Pyrrha and GtF bff's while rent sharing

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

They've done a chinese firedrill with the bodies. I don't remember a theory of Al taking over Harrow?

• As a child Harrow made contact with the body, and got into the tomb with Gods Daughters blood acting as a key.
  • At Canaan House Harrow ate Gideon's soul.
  • Harrow then had Ianthe do brain surgery to prevent her from subsuming Gideon's soul fully into her Lyctorhood, which also prevented anything from controlling her body when she was in the river.
  • It is revealed that Gideon's dead body is not aging or decaying, which is obviously sus, and that its also in the hands of the Edenites with Cam and SexPal.
  • Meanwhile the ghost of Wake was stealing Cytherea's body in the physical while psychically assaulting Harrow in the river.
  • Eventually Gideon's soul gets control while Harrow is afk and a bunch of stuff happens and Gideon gets to meet her dad.
  • At the end of the big battle in the river Harrow realizes that if she goes back to her body she will inevitably finish eating Gideon's soul and lose her forever, so she pulls the ejection lever and permanently yeets herself from her own body
  • Harrow's soul goes full homing pigeon and returns home, to the now empty body of the Body, in the tomb.

We find out that Gideon the First also figured out the proper way to do Lyctorhood, and that Pyrrha Dve is still rocking away inside and they're both doing deep cover work for Edenites.

Somehow perfect Lyctorhood threatens Jod's position and he doesn't want that.

So you've got

I see what you mean now! I was getting the theories confused because I thought people were claiming Nona was Al because I can’t read apparently.

I thought Gideon’s body doesn’t rot for the same reason she didn’t die from the neurotoxin because of some thalergetic bullshit from being the child of God

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

DreamingofRoses posted:

I see what you mean now! I was getting the theories confused because I thought people were claiming Nona was Al because I can’t read apparently.

I thought Gideon’s body doesn’t rot for the same reason she didn’t die from the neurotoxin because of some thalergetic bullshit from being the child of God

Yes on both counts. I say Nona is Al, people disagree, we will find out this month (and I will be vindicated)

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

Yes on both counts. I say Nona is Al, people disagree, we will find out this month (and I will be vindicated)

I can kind of see where you get that, given the personality and utter bafflement of everyone involved. You’re still wrong (;)) but I can at least understand why you came to that conclusion.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oh huh um what if it's not AL and is in fact AI and is actually artificial intelligence

I don't think I've seen that theory before

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

So you've got

Regarding one point on this spoiler:

Gideon the First is dead, his soul got blatted fighting the resurrection beast so it's now Pyrrha full time on GtF's body.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I can't tell anymore if these ominous bars are Nona spoilers or Gideon/Harrow spoilers. :ohdear:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Keret posted:

I can't tell anymore if these ominous bars are Nona spoilers or Gideon/Harrow spoilers. :ohdear:

Sort of both!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I have read none of Nona yet, which I can assure you will be go from 0% to 100% come the 13th

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

I have read none of Nona yet, which I can assure you will be go from 0% to 100% come the 13th

:same:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Fuuuck it's already so close, I kept putting off rereading the books because I wanted them fresh in my mind when I started on the next but now Nona's right on the horizon. Welp.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Oh huh um what if it's not AL and is in fact AI and is actually artificial intelligence

I don't think I've seen that theory before

Nona is actually an AI NFT persona that was developed to sell virtual land in the metaverse

I'm sorry to tell you this but facebook still exists a myriad later

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Happy Landfill posted:

Nona is actually an AI NFT persona that was developed to sell virtual land in the metaverse

I'm sorry to tell you this but facebook still exists a myriad later

see I would not be at all put out if it was something like that

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
🦴🦴🦴

With the NTN release imminent, I just want to preemptively remind everyone to please be careful of spoilers in your exceitement to postpostpost about the new book, bearing in mind not everyone is going to have had a chance to read it day one or even week one.

Please use spoiler tags for any NTN plot details, and make it clear if your spoiler tags are hiding actual spoilers or just wild speculation.

🦴🦴🦴

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Even weirder, whoever it was knew Judith was an unwilling captive because the letter just says “silence her immediately, kill if necessary” because she’d blow Harrow’s entire thing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Keret posted:

It's all the latter.

One thing the summary above didn't mention is the role of the sword in conveying souls, like when harrow stabs cyths body and then she starts walking around.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
gief buk NYAO plz kthx bai

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I just got Nona and I cannot believe I failed to predict Nona's dark secret, which is that she is made of BONES. It's bones all the way down!

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Rand Brittain posted:

I just got Nona and I cannot believe I failed to predict Nona's dark secret, which is that she is made of BONES. It's bones all the way down!

Nona more like bona amirite

...I'll see myself out

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Nona Spoiler: book good

Not Nona Spoiler:
https://twitter.com/ElixirLibris/status/1563785691842379785

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'm going to compliment these drinks everytime because they look awesome and they look like they taste awesome

How do you start with these? Do you go in with a mix in mind or is there a lot of trial and error?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm going to compliment these drinks everytime because they look awesome and they look like they taste awesome

How do you start with these? Do you go in with a mix in mind or is there a lot of trial and error?

Thanks!

To be honest, I mostly hunt through cocktail books and various websites looking for drinks that A. Sound nice, B. Use ingredients I have on hand or can get easily and (most important) C. Have a name that can easily be turned into a bad book-themed joke or allusion. Once I've got that, I play around with ingredient substitutions to try and make it more thematically appropriate.

So for that last one, it's a twist on a White Lady, which is a good start for Dulcinea /Cytherea, one of the handful of pākehā (white) characters . Dulcie's outfits are described as being white and floaty, so the egg white foam really calls that to mind. A White Lady traditionally has cointreau in it, but I decided to swap that out for a white wine syrup — perfect for Cytherea the murderous cougar who does actually seem to still be a bit sweet on Gideon. And then I sloshed some bitters over the top to suggest coughed-up blood. That didn't work quite as well as I liked because I have real poor fine motor skills and the spray didn't look great but I'd committed by that point. Then I photograph them and drink immediately. So far they've all been delicious, but I'm prepared for a disaster any day now.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

. So far they've all been delicious, but I'm prepared for a disaster any day now.
Save that for the Lyctor themed drinks lol

I really love what you're doing with all of these. Obviously the taste of the cocktail is important to the overall experience but I appreciate the subtle ways that you can have the taste and the aesthetic play off each other--the part about throwing in the bitters at the end was :kiss:

All in all, just really cool stuff :) it's like fanart or cosplay taken to a different level. Plus booze!

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Those cocktails look amazing and I wish I had enough of a liquor cabinet to try them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

it's September