Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Just finished the 3rd Expanse book & I'm pretty done with them. They felt like basic bro sci-fi from the start but at least the first had some body horror stuff & the conflict between Holden & Miller. Thin, cliche conflict but hey, better than nothing. 2 & 3 feel like more of the same, except the villains all get progressively dumber and stereotypical, plots all get dumber & stereotypical, and Holden is loving unbearable. He's at best a psychopathic rear end in a top hat who can't ever consider the consequences of his own actions, but the story treats him as a naif Mary Sue just trying to do the right thing and making the Hard ChoicesTM.

First book felt like ok schlocky space-pulp, but three books of the same thing is too drat much.

edit: on a positive note Black Water Sister was great, fantastic, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XG6MG3Y/

A Perfect Vacuum by Stanislaw Lem - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FC7TZ4/

Peace on Earth (From the Memoirs of Ijon Tichy #4) by Stanislaw Lem - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008533DBW/

Cross Fire (Exo #1) by Fonda Lee - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756KV6RR/

World of Trouble (Last Policeman #3) by Ben H Winters - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXYHVNU/

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

idiotsavant posted:

Just finished the 3rd Expanse book & I'm pretty done with them. They felt like basic bro sci-fi from the start but at least the first had some body horror stuff & the conflict between Holden & Miller. Thin, cliche conflict but hey, better than nothing. 2 & 3 feel like more of the same, except the villains all get progressively dumber and stereotypical, plots all get dumber & stereotypical, and Holden is loving unbearable. He's at best a psychopathic rear end in a top hat who can't ever consider the consequences of his own actions, but the story treats him as a naif Mary Sue just trying to do the right thing and making the Hard ChoicesTM.

First book felt like ok schlocky space-pulp, but three books of the same thing is too drat much.

Spoilers for somewhere in books 4-7 (I don't remember exactly where lol)

Miller comes back as a space ghost (maybe more than once) and it's the best part of whatever book it happens in

And speaking of miller, what other books are like a sci-fi mystery novel?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Altered Carbon :v:

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

VostokProgram posted:

Planetfall by Emma Newman, Dark Orbit by Carolyn Ives Gilman, and Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty immediately come to mind.

edit: And obviously Gideon the Ninth if you haven't read that!

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

pradmer posted:

Cross Fire (Exo #1) by Fonda Lee - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756KV6RR/

Correction: Exo #2.

I just finished the first one (Exo) after reading through Fonda Lee's Jade City/Green Bone trilogy.

I rather liked Green Bone. Solid worldbuilding that unfolds over decades, fleshed-out characters, and plenty of slice-of-life in the mix. The overarching plots are about organized crime families with magic powers, but it's more focused on the characters than the magic. I typically struggle to sympathize with characters in organized crime dramas, but I rarely had that problem here.

Exo's pretty good, though the subject matter (human enforcers working for invading alien colonists) feels a bit ill-served by the YA tone.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 27, 2022

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Michael mammay - PlanetSide

David brin - kiln people

Pat cardigan - tea from an empty cup

Warren Hammond- Kop series and there's another one about an ocean world

Robert J Sawyer - Red planet blues

A lee Martinez and Alistair Reynolds have written a few too

There's a lot of em, sci fi/cyberpunk meets detective noir was a popular genre in the 90s and early 2000s

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

idiotsavant posted:

Holden is a OD&D Paladin, engineer guy is the dwarf, pilot love interest is the Elf.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

Haven't read them in years, but I've got fond memories of Richard Paul Russo's Carlucci books.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

VostokProgram posted:

Spoilers for somewhere in books 4-7 (I don't remember exactly where lol)

Miller comes back as a space ghost (maybe more than once) and it's the best part of whatever book it happens in

in 3, and hes like yo holden slow your fuckin roll and holdens like what did you say? im golden and can do no wrong? cool i got this oops now thousands more are dead and everyone left wants to kill each other thanks to me, drat, the sacrifices i gotta make its so hard

quantumfoam posted:

Holden is a OD&D Paladin, engineer guy is the dwarf, pilot love interest is the Elf.
pretty much. Adrian Tchaikovsky is like, middling journeyman level but he did the whole strict lawful-good thing way better in Spiderlight.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 27, 2022

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
like the main reason i'm not gonna bother with books 4+ is that the only thing left is for Holden to travel through the ultimate time-space portal to the end of the universe & finding a big, red button labeled "DONT FUCKIN PUSH YOU GONNA DESTROY ALL FUCKIN EXISTENCE IF YOU DO" & he turns to his totally hot totally brilliant mixed race engineering space babe and hes like... "i love you babe, but i have no choice ITS TEARING ME APART"

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

idiotsavant posted:

Bloodlines by Chris Wraight is a licensed Warhammer book but I genuinely think it would appeal to someone without previous familiarity with the setting who wanted to read something with a Blade Runner mood.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

idiotsavant posted:

like the main reason i'm not gonna bother with books 4+ is that the only thing left is for Holden to travel through the ultimate time-space portal to the end of the universe & finding a big, red button labeled "DONT FUCKIN PUSH YOU GONNA DESTROY ALL FUCKIN EXISTENCE IF YOU DO" & he turns to his totally hot totally brilliant mixed race engineering space babe and hes like... "i love you babe, but i have no choice ITS TEARING ME APART"

End of series spoilers this is not far off from what actually happens

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

General Battuta posted:

End of series spoilers this is not far off from what actually happens

holy cow, what a surprise. lol rip noble jimmy holdem, who never let a good man down

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
ngl if that's true it has half-convinced me to actually pick those books up again

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Watch the teevee instead, it's better in every way afaict

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

sebmojo posted:

Watch the teevee instead, it's better in every way afaict

For one thing Amos is much more of a character

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

A couple of Aliette de Bodard's novellas are murder mysteries, The Tea Master And The Detective and Seven Of Infinities I think. All her Xuya universe stuff is good IMO.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

tiniestacorn posted:

For one thing Amos is much more of a character

And it's got Cara Gee being awesome.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

VostokProgram posted:

The Two Georges by Harry Turtledove is a straight up alt history police procedural.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

tiniestacorn posted:

Caves of Steel?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

VostokProgram posted:

I really enjoyed The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch. Interesting concept about time travel and murder.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I just started listening to the audiobook for Master and Commander. Honestly did not expect a 50 year old book about the British Navy to be so charming and funny right off the bat.

And the narration is amazing. It's from 1990 or so and it seems to be a little less edited, you can hear the narrator swallowing and clearing his throat occasionally. It makes it feel like some kindly old man sitting and reading me a book.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I have never listened to an audiobook in my life but I hear such high praise for the Aubrey-Maturin audiobooks that I might drat well listen to them for my inevitable second read through (for the first time round, after beginning the series in 2015 I have one left) and maybe that'll put me onto audiobooks for good

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I just started Master and Commander too, I'm up to chapter 5. Jack is such a dork I love him :allears:.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Taffy Torpedo posted:

I just started Master and Commander too, I'm up to chapter 5. Jack is such a dork I love him :allears:.

Jack's dad jokes and Stephen's inability to remember which bit of a ship makes it go are endlessly charming to me.

"Stephen!" cried Jack. "You are come home, I find!"
"I am so," Stephen replied affectionately. He prized utterances of this kind in Jack.

Stephen's cadence and speech is so distinctly Irish that it was distracting having Paul Bettany in the movie, but only accent-wise. It's really an excellent depiction of those characters aside from that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I just started listening to the audiobook for Master and Commander. Honestly did not expect a 50 year old book about the British Navy to be so charming and funny right off the bat.

And the narration is amazing. It's from 1990 or so and it seems to be a little less edited, you can hear the narrator swallowing and clearing his throat occasionally. It makes it feel like some kindly old man sitting and reading me a book.

We have a Patrick O' Brian thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393240&pagenumber=66#lastpost

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Three Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett - $4.49 each
Equal Rites (#3) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W9393Y/
Mort (#4) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W967UQ/
Sourcery (#5) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W913S2/

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yeah, there's a reason why those books are so beloved.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

VostokProgram posted:

Niven has some in the Known Space setting. Gil the ARM is about a cop solving high-tech crimes. Many of the other stories in the setting are scientific mysteries; things like "what killed the crew through an invulnerable hull ?" Niven's weird sex stuff is safely confined to the Ringworld.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Niven has some in the Known Space setting. Gil the ARM is about a cop solving high-tech crimes. Many of the other stories in the setting are scientific mysteries; things like "what killed the crew through an invulnerable hull ?" Niven's weird sex stuff is safely confined to the Ringworld.

Actually rishratha makes perfect sense and promotes harmony and tolerance between races

(Is there a bb code for a creepy sci-fi writer externalising fetishes?)

branedotorg fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 27, 2022

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

branedotorg posted:

Actually rishratha makes perfect sense and promotes harmony and tolerance between races

I doubt it, but we could probably rate authors on the Chalker index

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

branedotorg posted:

I think it’s covered by :q:

Ironically it’s Niven who sent lawyers after a fanfic writer for human-on-Kzin action.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've read two new books to me over the last few days, Shards of Earth and Eyes of the Void by Adrian Tchaikovsky. They strive to be good, old-fashioned space opera, but I feel that while the first book succeeds pretty well the second fell flat.

I think Tchiakovsky struggles very much with balancing his desire to write a personal story about a ragtag band of misfits in a dangerous galaxy with his desire to write a grandiose space saga with the fate of the universe at stake. I feel that he pulled off a good balancing act with Shards of Earth and failed in this book, and my instinct for why is that he wrote the big cosmic stuff to be a plot that only one character can interact with. What was mysterious and evocative the first go-around when they were more a looming threat in the background became tedious when it became a central active element of the plot.

I also felt that he ended up not really doing much with his future human societies and alien races. They're around and doing stuff, but I feel like you don't get more than a surface level impression of any of them, try as he might to present some interesting conflicts.

There's good ideas here, and I feel that Shards of Earth was a good story that balanced the various parts of its drama well, but the second book very much felt like it was just going through the space opera motions.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/sapitosabroso/status/1563659566381924363

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
That is the Hound from GoT tv show with a fairy in the style of Berserk

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Ironically it’s Niven who sent lawyers after a fanfic writer for human-on-Kzin action.

Niven: as SF authors, we should be writing about interspecies loving often
Niven: no, not like that

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I think it’s covered by :q:

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I've read two new books to me over the last few days, Shards of Earth and Eyes of the Void by Adrian Tchaikovsky. They strive to be good, old-fashioned space opera, but I feel that while the first book succeeds pretty well the second fell flat.

I'm not sure I'd characterize it as going through the motions but I was definitely a little disappointed by the second book. It felt like he'd worked really hard on the characters in the first one and didn't spend as much time on them in the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
I just finished A Memory called Empire and it left me cold in a way I wasn't expecting. I think the opening is really strong--the Aztec-inspired space empire is cool, the basic problem of "how do I keep my backwater space station independent of these guys playing Civ 5 on Settler difficulty from stomping all over us" is interesting, the early "the ghost in my head is malfunctioning" complication is a great way to turn up the temperature--but then it feels like it spins its wheels for the rest of the book and things mostly happen around her?

Looking back over the last forty or so pages it feels like all the most interesting decisions aren't Mahit's? It's Yskandr who decides to sell the imago technology to the Teixicalaan, and it's Six Direction who offs himself to secure transition of power. Mahit's climactic decision, to return home and preserve some sense of her identity, makes sense, but it doesn't feel like it costs her in the way that really hits me.

I was really hoping for something a bit more ambitious when I picked this guy up. I will probably still pick up the second one at some point, but should I adjust my expectations for it to something a little... cozier?