Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
congrats to tyson fury for being the first guy to say that he'll beat the next two best dudes on the same night and i've thought about it and gone 'yeah, probably'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
What next for.AJ? Wilder? Whyte rematch?

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

AJ needs to work on his promos

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Quizzlefish posted:

retires, waits for fury to flatten usyk, and a year after that posts an unhinged rant to twitter about how he's been in camp and is ready to massacre the gypsy king in th o2 arena and then gets an ungodly amount of money to go out there and look like absolute poo poo

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

:lol:

I don't see AJ or Usyk beating Fury, unless Fury gets a DQ for manhandling Usyk too much. And Fury can trade far too much pain for AJ to stomach.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
AJ seemed to take the first losses to Ruiz and Usyk pretty well but, certainly from the WWF promo he cut and his comments afterwards, this really seems to have broken him. I initially thought they could maneuver him into a fight with Chisora or rematch with Dillian Whyte but he probably needs to get his mind right first.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1561159516498141184

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

please try not to read too much into anything done or said by someone who has just been hit 170 times by usyk until they have received a post-fight medical assessment and appropriate treatment.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can we finally move past the AJ era over here in the UK.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It is now the Leon "Rocky" Edwards era

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

[wishmaster voice] as you wishhhha. you may support the loser, or the homophobe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LobsterMobster posted:

It is now the Leon "Rocky" Edwards era

which one of these is he

Marching Powder posted:

[wishmaster voice] as you wishhhha. you may support the loser, or the homophobe.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CommonShore posted:

He probably just didn't have enough left in the tank

Yeah live I thought he punched himself out in the 9th, and when Usyk came out in the 10th like nothing had happened it looked like Joshua basically just gave up

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
In other news Omar Figueroa has called it a career after frankly having gotten the poo poo beaten out of him by Sergey Lipinets (who was a late replacement for Adrien Broner). Figueroa for being a pretty exciting (read - not defensively responsible at all) fighter who had one of the better fights of the last decade against Nihito Arakawa in 2014 but his bad habits outside the ring coupled with inactivity and probably moving one of weight class too many just caught up to him in time.

EDIT: Figueroa's another fighter who has been public with his mental health struggles and while it's viscerally difficult to see, having professional fighters willing to be so open about it goes a long way towards destigmatizing mental health issues.

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/1561195889628266497

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/1561200963280670721

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/1561205931421073408

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 21, 2022

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Maybe he pulls a Wilder and takes a few months to get his head straight, but he's never seemed shy about taking fights. But who's next? I would like to see Dubois get another big fight, he landed shots on Joyce that would've dropped most men.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Quizzlefish posted:

I doubt it. With the heavyweight title now likely being tied up over the next 12-18 months assuming Fury and Usyk fight (and have a rematch) and with Joshua coming off two straight losses, I would fully expect Joshua’s team to take a bit of a step back with him and get him a few wins under his belt. Looking at the rankings, someone like Hughie Fury, Zhilei Zhang, or Dereck Chisora would fit the bill as a good first step back.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hughie Fury or Chisora for some UK payday to try and convince us for the xth time that Tyson Fury wouldn't kill him

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I'm sad for him. He'd be fine if the marketing hype hadn't been so ludicrous I think

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Hughie Fury and Michael Hunter have been ordered to fight each other in a “WBA eliminator” fight, which doesn’t make any sense to me because the WBA has said they want to get rid of the “WBA regular” belt and consolidate it into the “WBA super” belt, which would mean WBA regular titlist Daniel Dubois is already the WBA mandatory and there is no need for any additional “eliminator” fights. The WBA makes up their own rules as they go though, so who knows.

This also removes two good options for Anthony Joshua’s planned December return fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah that doesn't make much sense, but on the other hand if the belt still exists then they may as well continue to find mandatory challengers for it.

I don't know what the process of "getting rid of" a belt looks like, I would think if they wanted to stop counting one of their own belts it would be as simple as the WBA just saying so. But guys pay money to fight for and wear those things so it may not be so easy..

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Otto Wallin has been throwing his name out there for an AJ fight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
On the influencer boxing card where KSI beat 2 dudes somehow the professional was the worst fighter on the event.

Also Hasim Rahman Jr. will be fighting Vitor Belfort on the next one of the cards in October. Exciting times ahead.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

They gotta start calling Torres Jr. the Tornado or something. That guy got blasted out there.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/Seventy7NB/status/1563722528211746819

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lol his mom just loving it in the crowd

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1563724582405668864?s=20&t=-glZdhDl5ggx7IHdKcqKGQ

Yea, that guy just died

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

He was out even before that second bomb snapped his head back.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

He was out even before that second bomb snapped his head back.
Slow mo view:
https://twitter.com/DonLew87/status/1563731931061157889

Three bombs, his lights were out on the first. The left-right after that mainly served to scare his ghost away from trying to re-enter his body.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
What in God's name has Sam Hyde done to himself?

Dude looks like he is having a bad shellfish reaction.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Forceholy posted:

What in God's name has Sam Hyde done to himself?

Dude looks like he is having a bad shellfish reaction.

Hasan Piker is in trouble

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That dude was down and out for a disturbingly long time after that KO

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Richard Torrez only being 6'2 225 is a shame. If only he was even a couple of inches taller.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Torrez Jr is cool. But yeah he does almost seem like an undersized heavyweight. Sucks he was up against Jalalov for the Gold. Torrez jr was about 5 rows ahead of us at the Stephenson Valdez fight. Didn’t get to speak to him tho

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/DanRafael1/status/1564675938910093312?t=w92Y10bhvGfQr9C1bQwxrA&s=19

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

RIP Earnie Shavers, "the Acorn"

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Shavers may have lost to Holmes and Ali but my God the punishment he inflicted was painful to watch. The man could throw a punch.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Andy Ruiz Jr vs Luis Ortiz tonight. Good scrap between two top 10 heavyweights. True crossroads / must win fight for both guys.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

It's a shame that there's some comically large PPV fee for tonight's HW bout. I'll be interested to watch the fight on a VOD somewhere after it's done. I can't help but pull for Ortiz to keep the train running for at least one more fight.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ruiz with the clear win with those knockdowns, got a little slow here and there though

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Ruiz won, but despite knocking Ortiz down several times, it was a bit of a disappointing performance. Felt like Ruiz never fully put his foot on the gas, or was able to fully put his foot on the gas, and it was Ortiz putting on the pressure at the end of the fight. Ruiz has talents; he's got fast hands and good power, and that combination will always make you a dangerous fighter, but ultimately he's a small heavyweight who can only be active in spurts due to his relative fitness. With this performance, it feels like he's settled into being a legit top 10 heavyweight, but not a guy who will ever again threaten the elite of the division. He said he wants to fight Deontay Wilder should Wilder beat Robert Helenius next month, but I feel like Wilder, if he has anything left, waxes Ruiz at this point in their careers.

Ortiz meanwhile still has some gas in the tank, but his legs are pretty shot and he's practically a statue at this point. We'll see if he wants to keep going now that his paycheck will be in the low six figures going forward. He's still a dangerous gatekeeper who's a threat to almost anyone outside the top 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Good summary of those two boxers. Wilder-Ruiz would draw eyeballs, I think.