Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just realized this chapter introduced both of our new Emperors of the Sea as beaten wrecks at the mercy of their subordinates.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

Link for the official chapter

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013769

Also Viz hosed up something in the translation

Zoro's bounty should be 1.100,001,100, NOT 1.111,000,000 belli

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Julias posted:

Link for the official chapter

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013769

Oda really should have just Price Is Right'd that poo poo. So close, but he foolishly listened to some rando from the audience.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also now that we have official confirmation of the new bounties it's time to bring this back up:

RuBisCO posted:

:siren::siren::siren:CONTEST ALERT:siren::siren::siren:

Hey! Guess I should post this now.

With Wano approaching its end after 4 entire years, I wanted to do something that celebrates one of my favourite parts of One Piece: bounty updates!

The last time we received a proper crew-wide bounty update was the end of Dressrosa, in 2015. If we consider the last time we had the entire crew together to react to bounties, it'd be the Post-Enies Lobby arc back in 2007! 15 years ago! Holy moley!

So, why not hold a once in a decade-ish contest and take bets on what everyone's new bounties will be. List out what you think will be the new bounties for each of the Straw Hats. The closest guess for each Straw Hat, as well as the resulting closest summed total for the Straw Hat Pirates' total bounty, will score one point each. The poster with the highest number of points wins!

:siren:The prize will be a 100$ donation to a charity of your choice!:siren:

To state it plainly:

1) Guess what each of the Straw Hats' new bounty will be.
2) Scoring will go by closest absolute value by difference for each Straw Hat, as well as the closest |value| to the total Straw Hat bounty.
3) Closest match will score 1 point.
4) In case two (or more) posters have the same number of points, winner will be decided by whoever has the most closest guesses to each Straw Hat.
5) Uh in case this still results in a tie I'll figure something out.
6) Poster with the highest number of points wins 100$USD (:canada:) to a charity of their choice.

For convenience, here are the current Straw Hat bounties:

"Straw Hat" Luffy
1,500,000,000 Berries

"Pirate Hunter" Roronoa Zoro
320,000,000 Berries

"Cat Burgler" Nami
66,000,000 Berries

"God" Usopp
200,000,000 Berries

"Black Leg" Vinsmoke Sanji
330,000,000 Berries

"Cotton Candy Lover" Tony Tony Chopper
100 Berries

"Devil Child" Nico Robin
130,000,000 Berries

"Cyborg" Franky
94,000,000 Berries

"Soul King" Brook
83,000,000 Berries

"First Son of the Sea" Jinbe
438,000,000 Berries

"Oni Princess? Oni Prince?? Kozuki Oden???" Yamato
n/a

+
Current Total for the Straw Hat Pirates
3,161,000,100 Berries

And for copy and pasting:

All bets will be recorded in this here spreadsheet.

Contest will close when spoilers for the chapter with the bounty reveals drop. I will sacrifice my own One Piece experience and start reading spoilers until we get the full reveal. However, note that I can't actually run in here and announce that spoilers contain bounties, so it will be a silent cutoff. Get in your bets ASAP!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gyges posted:

Oda really should have just Price Is Right'd that poo poo. So close, but he foolishly listened to some rando from the audience.

Yeah the impression I get is this is less a "mistake" and more that they simplified it since it doesn't matter a ton and they wanted to abbreviate the bounties to something readable.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It might be a pun since other bounties are like that.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it matters more than anything

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Saw this amazing reddit comment about the new chapter and had to share it with you all:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Can Of Worms posted:

Saw this amazing reddit comment about the new chapter and had to share it with you all:

jesus

Julias posted:

Also now that we have official confirmation of the new bounties it's time to bring this back up:

Typing it up now! Glad that Zoro's bounty discrepancy doesn't actually matter as the winner is still the same.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Can Of Worms posted:

this person is literally incapable of understanding why people like buggy, incredible

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004

Can Of Worms posted:

Buggy, like Shanks and Luffy before him, knows when fighting back is meaningless.

To Buggy, Mihawk and Crocodile are no different than weaklings like Higuma the Mountain Bandit and Bellamy the Hyena, they're just not worth the effort of Emperor class pirates.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

RuBisCO posted:

jesus

Typing it up now! Glad that Zoro's bounty discrepancy doesn't actually matter as the winner is still the same.

Actually important correction:

Oda hosed up lol

https://twitter.com/sandman_ap/status/1563925550837534722?s=21&t=X44qtzEajQHgj7USi5UCUQ

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1563924260242206720?t=47mb7IE7fLVYIV-m6eMzEQ&s=19

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the official translation feels different today. a lot of characters are using a more casual tone and slightly more contemporary language. weird. wonder what changed.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Julias posted:

This is fun to look at now.

Judging by everyone's numbers I think the biggest surprise to all of us ended up being Robin's massive bounty increase. The only person who was remotely close to guessing her new value also thought Ussop was going to go up to a billion. No one really guessed that Robin and Robin alone would be getting such a proportionally huge change in her bounty.

I wonder what accounts for it. If we assume the Emperors are those closest to One Piece then just the fact of her being on an emperor's crew makes her a lot more dangerous, so maybe that's it.

Or else they learned that Robin took out Black Maria, and therefore learned for the first time that Robin can actually kick rear end. After all, the government never heard about her last fight. Against Yama. On Skypia. So they might have only just realized the secret knowledge that can bring down the government is in the hands of someone who is actually immensely physically powerful.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Can Of Worms posted:

What about people like me that loved that Buggy became an Emperor and also find it funny as hell that Crocodile and Mihawk have done this to him? :confused:

People take this poo poo too seriously.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

As if everyone's immediate reaction to Buggy being an emperor wasn't "How did you bungle your way into this one, dumbass?"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the wg was always worried robin would read the wrong poneglyphs and become a real threat. it turns out that meant lode poneglyphs. i don't think her personal strength really figures into it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Can Of Worms posted:

This dude is going to be quite upset when Buggy becomes Pirate King

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

:siren::siren::siren:CONTEST ALERT:siren::siren::siren:

Well! We made it! Lumps and all, Wano has finally ended and the official bounties have been revealed. Let's go through each of the Straw Hats!

Kild gets this point with a guess of 2,956,888,000 Berries, for a difference of 43,112,000

(or 1,100,001,100, not sure, but doesn't make a difference. Going with the official numbers!) 1,111,000,000 it is!
CodfishCartographer gets the point with a guess of 1,000,000,100 Berries, for a difference of 110,999,900
Of note, both The World Inferno and Raspberry Bang with their guesses of 1,000,000,000 lost the tie by just 100 Berries!

Julias and Silver2195 tie with guesses of 400,000,000 Berries, for a difference of 34,000,000

CodfishCartographer and Coaaab tie with perfect guesses of 500,000,000 Berries!

The World Inferno, CodfishCartographer, and Raspberry Bang all tie with guesses of 1,000,000,000 Berries, for a difference of 32,000,000

Fecha, Waffleman_, CodfishCartographer, and Gyges all nailed it with guesses of 1,000 Berries!

Gyges gets the point with a guess of 900,000,000 Berries, for a difference of 30,000,000

Kild gets the point with a guess of 368,100,000 Berries, for a difference of 25,900,000

Coaaab gets the point with a perfect guess of 383,000,000! Berry good

Fecha gets the point with a guess of 1,200,000,000 Berries, for a difference of 100,000,000

The official total bounty of the Straw Hat Pirates: a whopping 8,816,001,000 Berries!
Raspberry Bang's sum total gets the closest, with a culmulative total of 8,803,000,075 Berries for a difference of just 13,000,925!

Yamato? who's that

The final scorecard is!

Julias with 1 point (Nami)
Silver2195 with 1 point (Nami)
The World Inferno with 1 point (Sanji)
Waffleman_ with 1 point (Chopper)
Raspberry Bang with 2 point (Sanji, Straw Hat Total)
Fecha with 2 points (Chopper, Jimbei)
Coaaab with 2 points (Usopp, Brook)
Gyges with 2 points (Chopper, Robin)
Kild with 2 points (Luffy, Franky)
:siren:CodfishCartographer with 4 points:siren: (Zoro, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper)

Congratulations CodfishCartographer! Please PM me your charity of choice and I will process it later today!

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 28, 2022

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Here's the data in case I get audited or whatever. Though I did this in kind of a rush so no excuses from me.

(I realized I didn't accomodate the formatting in case of ties. I figured out how to do so in a later spreadsheet but I was too lazy to go back and fix this one.)

Fun fact, my own guesses were:

RuBisCO posted:

good luck guessing chopper's

I won't be participating myself but here are my guesses for fun:

Luffy: 3,000,000,000
Zoro: 1,520,000,000
Nami: 366,000,000
Usopp: 500,000,000
Sanji: 1,330,000,000
Chopper: 1,000,000
Robin: 666,000,000
Franky: 840,000,000
Brook: 730,000,000
Jinbe: 1,080,000,000
Yamato: 1,210,000,000

Still wondering if something weird may happen with Yams but we'll see!

I would have nailed Luffy, Nami, and Usopp (exactly) and gotten the closest for Jimbe, which would have meant I tied for winner :v:

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 28, 2022

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Can Of Worms posted:

croc club rise up :raisefist:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I got the tude now posted:

croc club rise up :raisefist:

*raises hook*

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

RuBisCO posted:

Fun fact, my own guesses were:

I would have nailed Luffy, Nami, and Usopp (exactly) and gotten the closest for Jimbe, which would have meant I tied for winner :v:

For getting second place, I will donate $99 to a charity of your choice if you PM me.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's both cool to see this data and embarrassing that the closest I got was 30k away from Chopper lol

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I just realized today that Ryunosuke was supposed to be a drawing of Momo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm just going to post like Yamato is in the crew anyway gently caress it I'm still loving mad about this

I don't care if the fish guy can talk to whale sharks and do karate he's not a cool trans guy that can turn into Ammy Okami

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yamato getting so built up as a new crew member only to last minute swerve to not joining, seemingly without reason, was the crowning jewel of an arc that had many instances of huge build up to weird resolutions.

I still really loved Wano. Just too bloated. Hell of a lot better than Dressrosa, which is the obvious comparison point.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

I'm just going to post like Yamato is in the crew anyway gently caress it I'm still loving mad about this
I can see it right in front of me. Yamato bouncing from panel to panel excitedly cheering for everyone's new bounties, and then looking around for his own poster before realizing he hasn't gotten one and getting dejected.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i am begging yamato complainers to actually read the chapter and what he says in it first

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Okay I’ve been reading this since like 2013 and I still don’t remember who Perospero is.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Can Of Worms posted:

Daz wrote this

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gruckles posted:

I think that twitter person is just lying. The crappy photo they attached is from SBS 96 when Oda was asked to draw a personification of Brook's sword, and their account was created just to make that tweet.

lmao

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ManSedan posted:

Okay I’ve been reading this since like 2013 and I still don’t remember who Perospero is.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ManSedan posted:

Peropero is the onomatopoeia for licking. Hope that helps

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Julias posted:

Peropero is the onomatopoeia for licking. Hope that helps

So sad that Perospero died of Ligma

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It’s honestly wild that Oda really does seem to be setting up the conclusion of One Piece.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

can’t wait to see those pieces come together in 2039

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I know we're all marking out for our boy Buggy right now but I'm kinda shocked Crocodile has lasted for as long as he has. From lower-mid-tier Shounen Boss Fight from over a decade ago to the man behind one of the Yonko - that's one hell of a comeback.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Croc was def not a lower mid-tier boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

the official translation feels different today. a lot of characters are using a more casual tone and slightly more contemporary language. weird. wonder what changed.
They used formal language for almost all the Wano characters to emulate the fact they were speaking Ye Olde Japanese in the original text, so that might be part of it. Though I do remember the official did make a revolutionary punk with a mohawk and megaphone say “Indeed, the times are changing.” so uhhh maybe they finally took some feedback