Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I know we're all marking out for our boy Buggy right now but I'm kinda shocked Crocodile has lasted for as long as he has. From lower-mid-tier Shounen Boss Fight from over a decade ago to the man behind one of the Yonko - that's one hell of a comeback.

Oda has said that he regrets introducing Crocodile as early as he did for power consistency reasons, especially since we saw in Marineford that he's no slouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, to be fair, Crocodile was like originally intended to be near-final boss, right?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

power levels are bullshit etc.

Croc may have been introduced early but he was a very big badass and I don't think it requires much of a leap to to think he is still a very big badass now.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Croc was def not a lower mid-tier boss fight.

Look I don't make the rules but paragraph 8, section 9, subsection 35 of the 25th chapter of the Official Shounen Rulebook clearly states that if you go down less than 300 chapters into a 1000 chapter long manga that you are on the lower end of the middle of the end boss spectrum and furthermore... :words: :words: :words:

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, to be fair, Crocodile was like originally intended to be near-final boss, right?

That's the story I heard, IIRC Alabasta was supposed to be roughly where Wano is now in the plot. Though I should mention that I've always only heard of this though second-hand accounts and I have no idea where this was originally stated so it could very well be bullshit.

edit:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

power levels are bullshit etc.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Was it confirmed that he didn’t know Haki before? Can’t remember if he ever just punched Luffy and it having no effect, he seemed very stab happy from the start

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I can deffo buy in on Croc letting himself go for a few years and basically giving up ambition of ever being on the level of Kaido. Both those things together direly weaken him until he got his groove back at Impel Down, and for the past two years he's been working himself up to even stronger than before Kaido whopped his rear end.

This also cements in my head that if Robin had simply told Croc that Pluton was in Wano, he would've crumbled and given himself up on the spot.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

MorningMoon posted:

I can deffo buy in on Croc letting himself go for a few years and basically giving up ambition of ever being on the level of Kaido. Both those things together direly weaken him until he got his groove back at Impel Down, and for the past two years he's been working himself up to even stronger than before Kaido whopped his rear end.

This also cements in my head that if Robin had simply told Croc that Pluton was in Wano, he would've crumbled and given himself up on the spot.

Croc got whipped by Whitebeard, Moria was Kaido.

Not to disparage your point though, I'd have loved to have seen the Enelface he would have made if Robin just straight up told him where it was.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Eiba posted:

No one really guessed that Robin and Robin alone would be getting such a proportionally huge change in her bounty.

Stressing once again that Chopper's bounty rose 10fold!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/JWNTjwnt/status/1563970207021862912?s=20&t=N60qriWbKS7CML7JYEi77g

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Julias posted:

Oda has said that he regrets introducing Crocodile as early as he did for power consistency reasons, especially since we saw in Marineford that he's no slouch.

Doflamingo did completely dunk on him there though, and could have easily killed him

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
My reasoning for Crocodile being so much stronger in the present is after getting his rear end kicked by Whitebeard he gave up on becoming individually strong enough satisfy his ambition and instead decided to obtain an ancient weapon by starting an organized crime syndicate while coasting on his ability. But this time his fairly large syndicate was dismantled by a tiny pirate crew helping a single princess and he ended up losing everything then being thrown in Impel Down. Both out of other options and actually inspired/reformed by the nature of his second defeat he resumed putting in the effort to become stronger himself instead of looking for an easy way out. Plus his motivation was likely further reinforced after the events of Impel Down. Also Crocodile knew about the ancient weapons which means he likely knows more about history than most people (except for perhaps Robin or Kozuki Sukiyaki) which might also explain why he went out of his way to screw over the government during the events of the Summit War and why he remains so much more motivated now.

Basically Whitebeard kicked him down, then Luffy beat him up (both literally and figuratively).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it makes sense hed be out of practice by the time luffy gets to him honestly. he was mostly a shadowy manipulator in baroque works, all his plan required him to do was occasionally rough up some random desert bandits.

plus if whitebeard was the guy who took his hand he just might not have been used to fighting with only one hand. his hook hand cant do any of the sand manipulation im pretty sure, so hed have to be conscious of that when using his powers, and if he didnt have any real challenges to practice that on, itd make sense hed be off his game.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
croc’s marineford showing will always be the wonkiest power scaling in the entire manga

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Julias posted:

I've often heard this but also never seen a source.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly you can kinda at least see it with how Moria was handled, like yeah Luffy beats up the bad man in both cases but with Moria it never doesn’t feel like he would have defeated pre-skip Luffy in a straightforward slugfest with Base Luffy and not Nightmare Luffy vs Mecha Oars before Moria pulled a Vegeta and got too salty to fight with a level head with Shadows Asgard.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly you can kinda at least see it with how Moria was handled, like yeah Luffy beats up the bad man in both cases but with Moria it never doesn’t feel like he would have defeated pre-skip Luffy in a straightforward slugfest with Base Luffy and not Nightmare Luffy vs Mecha Oars before Moria pulled a Vegeta and got too salty to fight with a level head with Shadows Asgard.

But Luffy has his Gears when he fought Moria. If Luffy had Gear 2nd when he fought Crocodile, he could have ended things much more quickly.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Croc only lost to Luffy because he has about the only Logia with a hard counter. On top of that there is a narrative under current of him being out of practice and lazily having fallen into the rookie complacency of Logias.

Getting beat up by Luffy shook the accumulated rust off of him. Even then, Crocodile didn't really outclass Luffy too much at Marineford. Then in the ensuing time skip he probably went on a Rocky III training montage to get back in top condition.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Crocodile got buff in Impel Down having to fight without his Logia then the time skip happened. Anyone can get strong over a time skip. Also he beat Luffy pretty handily a couple of times. It's like how Luffy beat Enel -- he was punching way above his weight class anyhow.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Croc also nearly killed Luffy twice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

But Luffy has his Gears when he fought Moria. If Luffy had Gear 2nd when he fought Crocodile, he could have ended things much more quickly.

I bet even with Gear 2 Croc woulda handled Luffy those first 2 fights and then fallen in the 3rd.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Luffy got a 10x strength multiplier from working out in prison for a week and learning how to punch better, Crocodile can do the same

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I bet even with Gear 2 Croc woulda handled Luffy those first 2 fights and then fallen in the 3rd.

Yeah, something to keep in mind is that Croc was a pre-timeskip Logia and were were still a long way off from meeting anyone else who even knew what Haki was.

These days though I imagine Luffy wouldn't have much trouble slugging him head-on.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/luffysmayie/status/1563763544381763584

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

hatty posted:

Luffy got a 10x strength multiplier from working out in prison for a week and learning how to punch better, Crocodile can do the same

Also Luffy had a limiter cuff on making him weaker, so with shonen anime logic it was also a power boost.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lord_Magmar posted:

Croc also nearly killed Luffy twice.

Yeah, if Robin hadn't helped him out he would have been super dead. I think it's just Crocodile, Magellan, Akainu, and Kaido who "killed" Luffy. Everyone else only beat the gently caress out of the guy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gruckles posted:

I think that twitter person is just lying. The crappy photo they attached is from SBS 96 when Oda was asked to draw a personification of Brook's sword, and their account was created just to make that tweet.

That's all it takes to get spread through gaming news, maybe they just assume the same about anime news

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bleck posted:

I've often heard this but also never seen a source.

It came up in the SBS, here's the panel:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

hatty posted:

Was it confirmed that he didn’t know Haki before? Can’t remember if he ever just punched Luffy and it having no effect, he seemed very stab happy from the start

He’s confirmed to have Haki, and there is no inconsistency cause he never hit Luffy with something that would normally not be capable of hurting him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Doflamingo did completely dunk on him there though, and could have easily killed him

Huh no Crocodile fought Doflamingo off twice.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The rest of the world didn't stay stagnant as the Strawhats powered up over the course of 2 years, even if Croc (or Mr. 1 or whoever else) was weaker back then there's no reason to believe he hasn't gotten much stronger since

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He’s confirmed to have Haki, and there is no inconsistency cause he never hit Luffy with something that would normally not be capable of hurting him.

I don't think Crocodile did have Haki in Arabasta, though. Even pre-timeskip, there are visual cues when Haki is being used that just weren't present. I have no problem accepting that he straight up had a mental block that kept him from using Haki after his loss to Whitebeard, and became able to use it again after losing to Luffy and regaining the resolve to become Pirate King with his own power instead of relying on Pluton.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 29, 2022

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Silver2195 posted:

I don't think Crocodile did have Haki in Arabasta, though. Even pre-timeskip, there are visual cues when Haki is being used that just weren't present. I have no problem accepting that he straight up had a mental block that kept him from using Haki after his loss to Whitebeard, and became able to use it again after losing to Luffy and regaining the resolve to become Pirate King with his own power instead of relying on Pluton.

:hmmyes:

It was the mysterious power of Ms. Goldenweek's hypnotism (explicitly not a devil fruit) that reawakened his haki during her cover page arc.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

If I were Crocodile, I simply would have used facts and logic to outwit Whitebeard

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

What happens if he just had it but didn't use it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what if crocodile was just drunk off his rear end the entire alabasta arc, we always saw him drinking wine

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
croc's entire plan was based on him never getting into a serious fight again for the rest of his life.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If I were Crocodile, I simply would have used facts and logic to outwit Whitebeard
He just didn’t get enough prep time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh no Crocodile fought Doflamingo off twice.

Yeah, when Doflamingo cuts off his head he's not even remotely bothered, and Doffy seems to have basically expected that. He's also EXTREMELY keen to want to form an alliance with Croc who shows no interest in it at all. I wonder if they ever had any encounters as Shichibukai given it was apparently near impossible to ever get more than a couple of them to agree to come when called, and our first look at Doflamingo is I believe only after Croc has been sent to Impel Down and stripped of his rank.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
What if Oda hadn't invented Haki when Crocodile was first introduced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the lateral nature of power in one piece is one of its best traits imo