Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Crocodile is here and strong because he's cool. My only question is if we're ever going to get into conflict with the Cross Guild, or if they'll just be our allies* in the final war. Zoro has to have his fight with Mihawk of course.

*for a certain definition of ally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Something I've been thinking of....maybe yamato doesnt join the crew.

Maybe he becomes a captain of a ship in the straw hat fleet. he plans on traveling wano first. there's always a chance that some folks want to explore the world too.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Renzuko posted:

Maybe he becomes a captain of a ship in the straw hat fleet.

The Pluton, presumably.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RuBisCO posted:

Congratulations CodfishCartographer! Please PM me your charity of choice and I will process it later today!

Oh boy, I won!

I was stoked I was spot on for Usopp, but tbh felt like I was far enough off on the others that someone would beat me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Terper posted:

Crocodile is here and strong because he's cool. My only question is if we're ever going to get into conflict with the Cross Guild, or if they'll just be our allies* in the final war. Zoro has to have his fight with Mihawk of course.

*for a certain definition of ally

I imagine they will be competitors. I could see a big final battle that is Luffy vs Blackbeard vs Shanks vs Crocodile for the One Piece in a big four way battle.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, when Doflamingo cuts off his head he's not even remotely bothered, and Doffy seems to have basically expected that. He's also EXTREMELY keen to want to form an alliance with Croc who shows no interest in it at all. I wonder if they ever had any encounters as Shichibukai given it was apparently near impossible to ever get more than a couple of them to agree to come when called, and our first look at Doflamingo is I believe only after Croc has been sent to Impel Down and stripped of his rank.

To be fair Doflamingo, Mihawk, and Boa we're at best quarter-assing their way through the whole war. So it's not like any fights they were in would actually count for power level calibration theorizing. Except any fights Boa got in to block for Luffy, where she would be fighting at 110%, though those are also tainted by the Cat 5 winds of love throwing off normal power levels.

It is interesting to think about whether Croc ripped off Mingo's villainous machinations, Mingo ripped off Croc, or they just both came up with very similar flights of world domination fancy.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
the one piece dick memes got Howard Hamlin’s actor to say ‘the one piece is real’

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Bleck posted:

I've often heard this but also never seen a source.

it does appear to just be a weird fan rumour that was never actually in SBS or anything

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, when Doflamingo cuts off his head he's not even remotely bothered, and Doffy seems to have basically expected that. He's also EXTREMELY keen to want to form an alliance with Croc who shows no interest in it at all. I wonder if they ever had any encounters as Shichibukai given it was apparently near impossible to ever get more than a couple of them to agree to come when called, and our first look at Doflamingo is I believe only after Croc has been sent to Impel Down and stripped of his rank.

I mean even if the Shichi Warlords didn't really meet one another frequently, Doffy and Croc are both entrenched in the underworld and big on plotting and scheming, and Croc did almost succeed in overthrowing a nation without Dofflamingo's advantages (being a former World Noble with connections, having literal string puppetting powers, having a crew matey with one of the most broken DF powers in the manga).

Croc's really smart and clearly capable since he was able to raise the funds to help Buggy kickstart Buggy Deliveries, and he was smart enough to slip under the radar while the Marines were concerning themselves with non-ex Seven Bukai and Yon Emperors.

Though given Croc's personality he never would have worked for someone like Dofflamingo (because unlike with Mihawk, an alliance with Doffy and Croc would have both sides vying for the top dog spot). Like, Buggy's fine to put as the face because Croc knows Buggy's weak and harmless, and Mihawk's not really interested in status, so Croc can rule from the shadows. He'd never be able to do that with Doffy cause Doffy's an ambitious schemer with kingly intentions like him.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I basically assume that the power discrepancy with Crocodile is due to us, as in the reader, not being able to see haki at the time, combined with the fact that the Nika Nika fruit has probably always given Luffy a mild degree of ability to bend reality. Crocodile's haki was much weaker as a result of his spirit and ambition being broken, Luffy was using mild armament and conquerors coating without realising it due to being in a berserk rage, and the remainder of the gap is filled by the Nika fruit having slight passive activation due to Luffy fighting to free a bunch of trapped people from oppression.

Yes, I am aware Oda probably didn't have the full nature of Haki thought through at this point, but luckily his themes are so consistent that it more or less matches the nature of how these things work anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Luffy was able to beat Croc for the same reason he wasn't burned by the attack from Kaido and Big Mom during Wano: Guts!

Gyges posted:

It is interesting to think about whether Croc ripped off Mingo's villainous machinations, Mingo ripped off Croc, or they just both came up with very similar flights of world domination fancy.

Maybe they were both emulating Kaido who took over Wano?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Tolth posted:

I basically assume that the power discrepancy with Crocodile is due to us, as in the reader, not being able to see haki at the time, combined with the fact that the Nika Nika fruit has probably always given Luffy a mild degree of ability to bend reality. Crocodile's haki was much weaker as a result of his spirit and ambition being broken, Luffy was using mild armament and conquerors coating without realising it due to being in a berserk rage, and the remainder of the gap is filled by the Nika fruit having slight passive activation due to Luffy fighting to free a bunch of trapped people from oppression.
Luffy beat Crocodile because he punched him really hard

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Cat Machine posted:

Luffy beat Crocodile because he punched him really hard

That's what I said.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tolth posted:

Yes, I am aware Oda probably didn't have the full nature of Haki thought through at this point, but luckily his themes are so consistent that it more or less matches the nature of how these things work anyway.

Luffy punched Crocodile super hard the same way that he punched Enel super hard, he fell assbackwards into a hard counter of their logia ability. This hard counter made it so that their THAC0 no longer had logia modifier, allowing him to hit them as hard as he hit non-logias.

No need to retrofit haki into situations where non-haki solutions are explicitly stated.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Crocodile is vulnerable to water because it makes him clumpy and mushy but his left hand also dries up all water instantly.

Makes u think.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gyges posted:

To be fair Doflamingo, Mihawk, and Boa we're at best quarter-assing their way through the whole war. So it's not like any fights they were in would actually count for power level calibration theorizing. Except any fights Boa got in to block for Luffy, where she would be fighting at 110%, though those are also tainted by the Cat 5 winds of love throwing off normal power levels.

see I don't think there's as much overlap as there might seem, beyond the basic crime syndicate/kingdom takeover framework, mainly because I don't think Mingo was ever really aiming for world domination

that dude knows what's behind the curtain, and because of that seemed to have just given up on anything beyond being a comfortable spectator at the steady collapse of the world (and is now of course resigned to being an UNcomfortable spectator)

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Crocodile is strong, he just had the misfortune of being the first World-renowned pirate to get on Luffy's poo poo list.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Boa and her ship of Amazonian pirates and Yamato and his samurai pirates and Carrot with her Mink pirates as part of the strawhat armada is going to rule

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rody One Half posted:

see I don't think there's as much overlap as there might seem, beyond the basic crime syndicate/kingdom takeover framework, mainly because I don't think Mingo was ever really aiming for world domination

that dude knows what's behind the curtain, and because of that seemed to have just given up on anything beyond being a comfortable spectator at the steady collapse of the world (and is now of course resigned to being an UNcomfortable spectator)

He's definitely throwing massive "gently caress you, dad" vibes, but at the end of the day his plan was an 80s business/action movie plan to become the Pirate King. Which is basically world domination in whatever flavor of your personal pirate belief in what being the Pirate King means.

Like, Luffy wants to be the freest man in the world, but that necessitates being strong enough to impose his will over everyone who wants him to eat his vegetables and not horse around at the pool. Pirate King is basically the same as winning The Prize in Highlander. We all hope that MacLeod/Luffy wins because they'd be cool dudes with the power, unlike Kurgen/Blackbeard.

Which is honestly kind of the weird plot hole in One Piece. Why, exactly, does everyone dream of being the super awesome King of the Pirates? Roger is the only Pirate King, and he sure as poo poo wasn't what anybody so far has dreamed of using their powers of the One Piece to achieve. Dude
  • realized he couldn't do anything about the conspiracy to kill Kennedy hide the true history
  • had a laugh
  • suicided by cop to avoid dying of plot cancer
  • killed a lady by knocking her up
  • left his kid an orphan who hated his guts
If I'm having big pirate dreams, I'm dreaming of maybe being a Whitebeard; respected by everyone and having a family that Dominic Torretto would be jealous of.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Posting receipts!

Thank you everyone for playing! Congratulations to Codfish again. Maybe I'll do this again if the opportunity presents itself before the series ends, who knows.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

RC Cola posted:

Boa and her ship of Amazonian pirates and Yamato and his samurai pirates and Carrot with her Mink pirates as part of the strawhat armada is going to rule

We still don’t know what’s happened to Amazon Lilly. Maybe Coby caught her (hahahaha yea right)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gyges posted:

He's definitely throwing massive "gently caress you, dad" vibes, but at the end of the day his plan was an 80s business/action movie plan to become the Pirate King. Which is basically world domination in whatever flavor of your personal pirate belief in what being the Pirate King means.

Like, Luffy wants to be the freest man in the world, but that necessitates being strong enough to impose his will over everyone who wants him to eat his vegetables and not horse around at the pool. Pirate King is basically the same as winning The Prize in Highlander. We all hope that MacLeod/Luffy wins because they'd be cool dudes with the power, unlike Kurgen/Blackbeard.

Which is honestly kind of the weird plot hole in One Piece. Why, exactly, does everyone dream of being the super awesome King of the Pirates? Roger is the only Pirate King, and he sure as poo poo wasn't what anybody so far has dreamed of using their powers of the One Piece to achieve. Dude
  • realized he couldn't do anything about the conspiracy to kill Kennedy hide the true history
  • had a laugh
  • suicided by cop to avoid dying of plot cancer
  • killed a lady by knocking her up
  • left his kid an orphan who hated his guts
If I'm having big pirate dreams, I'm dreaming of maybe being a Whitebeard; respected by everyone and having a family that Dominic Torretto would be jealous of.

I think people like Luffy just wanna be the King because the King of the Pirates is the guy who adventured harder than anyone else who ever lived except the last king, since it wasn’t like Gold Roger got a crown or scepter or even called himself the Pirate King, he was just the guy who conquered (survived) the miserable godless death trap that was the Red Line and had a blast doing it, so everyone else collectively started calling him the King of the Pirates.

I mean, now it doesn’t quite make sense since the current goal to become Pirate King is “find laugh tale by going to these four dungeons and defeating/surviving the Emperors of Cinder” rather than asserting your dominance over the miserable death trap hellscape but hey, this franchise has gotta finish eventually. I guess everyone wants the One Piece really really badly?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gyges posted:

Why, exactly, does everyone dream of being the super awesome King of the Pirates?
do that many people actually dream of it? crocodile, moria, kaido, big mom, and buggy all seem to use the term as shorthand for 'undisputed strongest/richest pirate,' which they'd want with or without the term and with or without roger having ever existed. only some of them even show interest in the one piece, and it's reasonable to assume that the one piece is either a massive sum of money or would be worth a massive sum of money. only luffy and maybe blackbeard seem to want to actually be pirate king in the sense of having a romantic image of it.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
It's Six-String Samurai rules - The King is dead, ergo, everyone wants to be the new The King.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Last Celebration posted:

I guess everyone wants the One Piece really really badly?

it was the call roger made to the world

the one piece is real

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

I don't think Crocodile did have Haki in Arabasta, though. Even pre-timeskip, there are visual cues when Haki is being used that just weren't present.

Ehhhh, even as of Marineford a lot of the visual cues we've come to expect from Haki use weren't established, particularly anything for armament haki. No black coated fists/weapons and even in the moment Luffy uses conqueror's haki to knock out the executioners we don't see the black lightning that power has become associated with. You basically just had random people saying "woah did that attack have haki?" every so often, but you can bet like 90% of the attacks thrown in that arc were heavy hitters throwing out a ton of armament haki and there's no visual cues present at all.

EDIT: Whitebeard has a lot of visual flair to his attacks which are somewhat similar to some of the haki effects we've come to see but as far as I can tell those were all specifically meant to represent his quake powers. For example he punches the air to create shockwaves and those look like lightning crackles. However, when he attacks Aokiji and some mook is like "woah Aokiji just got hit with pure haki!" we don't see any kind of visual cue for that

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 29, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Most people don't know that One Piece is part of a conspiracy, they just know that Roger went to the end of the Grand Line and found a big treasure

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Last Celebration posted:

I think people like Luffy just wanna be the King because

Luffy has told us explicitly why he wants to be King of the Pirates.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Guy A. Person posted:

Ehhhh, even as of Marineford a lot of the visual cues we've come to expect from Haki use weren't established, particularly anything for armament haki. No black coated fists/weapons and even in the moment Luffy uses conqueror's haki to knock out the executioners we don't see the black lightning that power has become associated with. You basically just had random people saying "woah did that attack have haki?" every so often, but you can bet like 90% of the attacks thrown in that arc were heavy hitters throwing out a ton of armament haki and there's no visual cues present at all.

EDIT: Whitebeard has a lot of visual flair to his attacks which are somewhat similar to some of the haki effects we've come to see but as far as I can tell those were all specifically meant to represent his quake powers. For example he punches the air to create shockwaves and those look like lightning crackles. However, when he attacks Aokiji and some mook is like "woah Aokiji just got hit with pure haki!" we don't see any kind of visual cue for that

We also didn't see it on the arrows etc from the Kuja. You can put it down to Oda not working out the visual symbolism until later, and that's probably true, but in practice we as the readers "couldn't see Haki" until the timeskip happened.

Do I think Oda was consciously having Crocodile use or not-use Haki? No. However, it makes no sense whatsoever for Crocodile, or the Vice Admirals seen at Marineford, to not have been using it given what we later learned about Haki, and "We just couldn't see the Haki in use" sort of neatly fills every potential plothole created, so I'm inclined to just take it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally haki sucks so i just ignore every use of it even now that theres obvious visual cues for it

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
It is really awesome to see some of my favorite characters from early on still being important aspects of the universe.

Just thinking about how Mihawk is introduced is fantastic. The best swordfighter in the world floats up in a throne on a tiny raft with candles, all because he is just sort of bored and wasting time by chasing these pirates. Then he proceeds to cut their entire ship in half and defeats Zoro with a pocket knife. Top it all off, this all takes place a thousand chapters ago and he is still just as feared.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
buggy, sir crocodile, and dracule "hawk "the D" eyes" mihawk will be a good 3v3 against the 3 strongest straw hats: god ussop, luffy, zoro

luffy and zoro rematches and usopp and buggy have a bluff off

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I wonder how many of the old Baroque Works members will end up in the Cross Guild.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Come on Miss Father's Day

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Did Vivi's partner actually die, I can't remember

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

Did Vivi's partner actually die, I can't remember

If you mean Carue he was at the Reverie last we saw so hopefully he’s wherever Vivi is currently

If you’re talking about her partner from Baroque Works then no idea (I forget how he went out and if he ever showed up again)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vivi's actual baroque works partner was mr. 9, who got a cover panel showing him and miss monday alive. he and miss monday stalled mr 5 and ms doublefinger so vivi could escape, but it cut away with mr. 5 blowing them both up.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Endorph posted:

vivi's actual baroque works partner was mr. 9, who got a cover panel showing him and miss monday alive.

Yeah that's who I meant, I just have the vague memory of him sacrificing himself and then never being mentioned again but looks like I missed that cover

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Voxx posted:

buggy, sir crocodile, and dracule "hawk "the D" eyes" mihawk will be a good 3v3 against the 3 strongest straw hats: god ussop, luffy, zoro

luffy and zoro rematches and usopp and buggy have a bluff off

Buggy will give Luffy a taste of his own medicine and follow up his two defeats with a win :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

I think the deal with Zoro's new bounty is a pun on his birthday (11/11) which is an important number in Zoroastrianism (I think? Someone correct me if this is wrong.) Whereas Sanji's bounty of 1.32 is because 3-2 is can be pronounced as San-Ji.

Crocodile's is a pun as well. 1.965 with 9 being kyu 6 being roku and 5 being go. You can make that into "Ku ro co-dile"

Personally I love that Oda has decided bounties are important as goofy pun numbers.