Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Hyperion is, in my opinion, a brilliant book. Fall of Hyperion completely ruins it and Simmons himself ruins any desire I have to read anything else by him.

I prefer to try and remember it in isolation of anything else and assume the author died before he could continue the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Everyone posted:

Probable minority view but I remember really liking Carrion Comfort from when I was in college. Of course that was when I was much younger and way before Simmons went Muslim hate cray-cray.

Same. It was a very fine, tense, paranoia-laden horror story.

I actually quite liked Simmons until the Ilium/Olympos thing. Which, goddamn.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I like his Land Fit for Heroes trilogy.

What really hit me over the head when I read those was that basically all character interactions were staring the opposition into submission, which is fine for one POV, but it was basically all of them.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
First Binding having, within the deigesis, a book about a redheaded kingkiller was ... a biiiit arch? there's homage then there's being fuckin cheeky

that opening is also, I mean, it's Kingkiller, tell me which of these is Kingkiller and which is First Binding

quote:

The worst sort of prison held the Three Tales Tavern.

An emptiness.

A stillness.

And that is always meant to be broken.

It hung like a cord gone taut, quivering and waiting to snap. It was the quiet of held breaths, wanting for a voice, but ready to bite at any that dare make noise. It was the soundlessness of men too tired to speak and with an ear to hear even less. And all the stillness of an audience waiting for the play to begin.

It's not plagiarism but it is a ripoff, possibly the most naked ripoff I've seen in years

also holy god purple prose, how the gently caress does a cord gone taut hang

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 29, 2022

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I feel like the purple prose drops off a little after the first few chapters. Like how Robert Jordan intentionally made the first part of The Eye of the World so much like The Lord of the Rings, it might have been to pull in the Kingkiller fans. It's possible I'm just numb now though.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
edit: you know what this was probably too mean but I think it's safe to say I did not enjoy First Binding

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 29, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, neat. The second book for Beware the Chicken is on royalroad.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carrier posted:

Hyperion is, in my opinion, a brilliant book. Fall of Hyperion completely ruins it and Simmons himself ruins any desire I have to read anything else by him.

I prefer to try and remember it in isolation of anything else and assume the author died before he could continue the story.

It's one of the worst offenders for me in the 'sequel so crappy it ruins the first book' department. I would be able to say I loved Hyperion if it didn't exist.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

edit: you know what this was probably too mean but I think it's safe to say I did not enjoy First Binding

I'm only defending it in the mildest way possible which is to say that I'm not hating it, but it has yet to impress me. If i'm still reading it when something I'm more interested in comes out...

Oh, wait, the finale of Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse is out. Well I'm going to read that now. I guess we'll see if it's ever worth coming back to The First Binding.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Danhenge posted:

I'm only defending it in the mildest way possible which is to say that I'm not hating it, but it has yet to impress me. If i'm still reading it when something I'm more interested in comes out...

Oh, wait, the finale of Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse is out. Well I'm going to read that now. I guess we'll see if it's ever worth coming back to The First Binding.
Oh I wasn't being mean to you, I just had some Words about the book's voice which I realised are probably not professional to post on an account connected to my real name.

It's not the worst book I've ever read, it's just ... not good.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Yeah. I guess the author is the Monster Slayer Online guy? This is his attempt to transition from self-pub.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Recent discussion about how Simmons and Rothfuss are turds, and previous knowledge about how Orson Scott Card is a mega turd, got me thinking...

Which fantasy writers out there are certified super cool people in real life?

(OSC wrote a regular editorial column for my hometown newspaper and it was so often every type of -phobic you can think of that I can never in my life enjoy an Ender book)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nabokov.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Taz Muir seems pretty chill.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Ann Leckie has always been incredibly sweet to me, and not in a way that seems to suggest a deep reservoir of interior shittiness.

Kameron Hurley is an ornery cranky grouch (in the best way) and also very genuine and supportive and willing to put herself out there for you. She also has huge dogs.

Yoon Ha Lee is a really nice nerdy guy who I am always happy to see at one of the dreaded "cons"

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I have friends that play Warhammer with Adrian Tchaikovsky and he’s a very chill dude by all accounts.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I met Joe Abercrombie once a decade ago at Comic Con and he seemed cool. Sanderson was also nice but painfully awkward and did not seem to enjoy being in NYC.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Count Thrashula posted:

Recent discussion about how Simmons and Rothfuss are turds, and previous knowledge about how Orson Scott Card is a mega turd, got me thinking...

Met Sanderson twice at cons, and he was universally gracious and kind. One of those times he was REALLY clearly stressed out as gently caress about something but making a real effort to give everybody face-time and not let it affect the signing, even preemptively apologizing to people for seeming stressed.

StonecutterJoe fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 29, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Amal El-Mohtar is loving lovely, she's legit one of the nicest people I've ever met

silvergoose posted:

Taz Muir seems pretty chill.
Will happily second this, Taz rocks.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 29, 2022

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

General Battuta posted:

Ann Leckie has always been incredibly sweet to me, and not in a way that seems to suggest a deep reservoir of interior shittiness.

I hope Ann is going ok. Nothing new from her since early 2019, hasn't blogged since her post about two years ago when she talked about removing Raven Tower from the Hugo noms. This is not a request for secret author info, just kind of thinking out loud.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
why did she pull it? puppies poo poo?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

moonmazed posted:

why did she pull it? puppies poo poo?
Getting on the Hugo shortlist is a huge career bump, and a lot of bigger names turn down nominations so newer folks can get the publicity and help build their careers.

Like, re Taz Muir being super cool, she pulled out of the New Zealand book awards thing that I ended up winning, which was what got me a book deal, and that wasn't nearly Hugos-scale. If she hadn't done that, she would've steamrolled me and I'd probably still be nowhere.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

zoux posted:

New exhaustive list of "problematic authors" just dropped on book twitter

https://twitter.com/Abookishdiaries/status/1560078943843020800

I think if you got Marion Zimmer Bradley and John Green on the same list you've lost the plot a bit. Also I can only presume that the lack of Piers Anthony here is a whole hearted endorsement of his work, on her part.

My favorite part is wanting to cancel Emily Duncan for "mocking book bloggers." If anything I consider that one to be a positive action.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
What's their beef with Colleen Hover? The "Reason" section for her is blank. Is it the book-blogger version of "I don't like her books/face/word processor?"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Please let the list some dumb kid wrote die.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah she's 20. It's a hilariously bad list but college students often have terrible opinions, it's normal, it's part of growing up, it deserves an "ok whatever :jerkbag:" not 10k strangers dunking on you for a solid week

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 29, 2022

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Groke posted:

Same. It was a very fine, tense, paranoia-laden horror story.

I actually quite liked Simmons until the Ilium/Olympos thing. Which, goddamn.

I enjoyed The Terror, though it could have been a lot shorter and still maintained the tension. I feel like the seeds of Simmons' freak out were there from the start though. Song Of Kali is quite short by his standards and it's very effectively written, but the basic premise is that an American in a foreign country is being targeted by a deliberately distorted and evil version of something culturally specific to that country.

General Battuta posted:

Kameron Hurley...also has huge dogs.

It's funny what can get someone bumped up the to-read pile

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Count Thrashula posted:

I met Mike Carey a bunch of times when he was mainly writing comics. Sound guy. And of course Terry Pratchett was just an amazing person.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Count Thrashula posted:

I hung out with Jo Walton and a bunch of her friends in Wales one summer long ago, they were chill and friendly. No odious politics that I know of either. Also she writes good books. And poured a drink on David Brin on purpose once.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who recommended Cherryh to me. I just finished Downbelow Station and it scratched exactly the itch I wanted it to. It's the first Cherryh novel I've ever read, and now I'm going to have to make my way through — at the very least — everything else in the Alliance/Union setting.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

MartingaleJack posted:

Rothfuss obsessively writes blocking in his conversations. It's mostly description about what the characters faces are doing. I thought it was stupid at first, but maybe he's onto something. It's like there's a huge audience of people out there who can't read facial cues.

What is "blocking?"

Carrier posted:

Read them when I was a teenager and loved both, Fall particularly so because it has a big high-stakes explosiony fight for civilisation.

In line with the discussion that brought this up, I vaguely remember that he had Keats or someone in it as a character, which if I read it today would probably feel wanky but when I was 19 I didn't know who Keats was and therefore didn't care.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Yes, Keats is central to the plot and some of his poetry is quoted, making the Simmons’ original verse look even worse

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

freebooter posted:

What is "blocking?"

theatre term.

It's not bad in itself but can be a bit annoying when the writer is describing every single movement, like they're anxious that you won't Get It unless they explain well enough

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

sebmojo posted:

theatre term.

It's not bad in itself but can be a bit annoying when the writer is describing every single movement, like they're anxious that you won't Get It unless they explain well enough

Ah right. I haven't read Rothfuss, but over-describing characters' reactions during dialogue feels like a pretty common sin across SFF.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Simmons’ original verse

OK lol I think I need to re-read those books now

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I swore off Sanderson back in the day because he was donating money to anti-LGBT causes. I think more as part of his church affiliation than on a personal level, but still. Has he distanced himself from that?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

sebmojo posted:

theatre term.

It's a habit I see a lot in people who've moved into writing from text-based roleplay. I do text RP, it's like, my main hobby besides painting, and you really *can't* write prose the way you write roleplay poses. It's completely different.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Danhenge posted:

I hope Ann is going ok. Nothing new from her since early 2019, hasn't blogged since her post about two years ago when she talked about removing Raven Tower from the Hugo noms. This is not a request for secret author info, just kind of thinking out loud.

She posts on tumblr occasionally and recently implied that she was writing a new Radch novel. The Presger are involved.

Also she posted a link to her Minecraft server if you're into that I guess.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The idea that we might see a wave of Kingkiller-inspired fantasy sounds like some next level Twilight Zone hell.

Even without the factor of him being a creepy rear end in a top hat, the books are just so meandering and what promise he showed as a first time author in NotW is dragged out into the road and set on fire in WMF. The 2nd book is genuinely bad and makes me glad he's pulling a GRRM and will never write Doors of Stone. Especially since his horde of fans will sing its praises even if the entirety of the book is Rothfuss writing a jordan petersen-tier screed about his detractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think the bright side look at it would be if they DO write these big super weirdo novels, at least they probably will have an ending worked out. That already puts em above rothfuss.