Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I think the deal with Zoro's new bounty is a pun on his birthday (11/11) which is an important number in Zoroastrianism (I think? Someone correct me if this is wrong.) Whereas Sanji's bounty of 1.32 is because 3-2 is can be pronounced as San-Ji.

Crocodile's is a pun as well. 1.965 with 9 being kyu 6 being roku and 5 being go. You can make that into "Ku ro co-dile"

Personally I love that Oda has decided bounties are important as goofy pun numbers.

Kind of whish Zorro had a fox motif for the corss language pun. Also how is it we nearly 30 years into this series and he has never cover a z into some clothes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

Yeah that's who I meant, I just have the vague memory of him sacrificing himself and then never being mentioned again but looks like I missed that cover

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cool

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Crocodile's is a pun as well. 1.965 with 9 being kyu 6 being roku and 5 being go. You can make that into "Ku ro co-dile"

That’s so awesome. Thank you!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe they were both emulating Kaido who took over Wano?

Kaido's takeover of Wano wasn't really like that, though. He humiliated Oden, yes, but he didn't frame him or his family for crimes to get people to cheer on Kaidou's takeover. (Quite the opposite: Orochi took over by faking Sukiyaki's endorsement.) His takeover was really based on raw power; there was cunning involved, but its purpose was to delay the fight against Oden until Kaidou was ready.

Not only did Crocodile and Doflamingo both take the same approach of framing the royal family, but their subordinates' powers seem chosen by Oda to reinforce the idea, implicit in Doflamingo succeeding with the plan Crocodile failed with, that Crocodile is a lesser version of Doflamingo. Baby 5's and Machvise's Devil Fruits are explicitly strictly better versions of Mr. 1's and Miss Valentine's, respectively. Note also the looser similarities between the abilities of Jora and Miss Goldenweek (despite Goldenweek not being a DF user), Mr. 5 and Gladius, and Senor Pink and Miss Merry Christmas.

There's also some suggestion of some sort of history between them in Doflamingo's strangely flirtatious remarks to Crocodile at Marineford.

Then again, one of Kaidou's minions at the time of the Wano takeover was the previous user of Mr. 2's Devil Fruit, so I guess that's an interesting connection between Kaidou and Crocodile. And of course Doflamingo is very connected to Kaidou (to the point of his title and the titles of his main subordinates being tied to the Beast Pirates' playing card theme).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 30, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Crocodile to be fair did not actually care about taking over Alabasta, he just wanted to find Pluton.

And I just realized as I was typing this that Crocodile might be the guy Caribou wants to get in contact with about the Ancient Weapons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Crocodile to be fair did not actually care about taking over Alabasta, he just wanted to find Pluton.

And I just realized as I was typing this that Crocodile might be the guy Caribou wants to get in contact with about the Ancient Weapons.

Caribou: Good news, Kaidou isn't around to stop you going for Pluton anymore!
Crocodile: Great! Who is?
Caribou: Some guy with the exact same powers as Kaidou, a gigantic army, powerful retainers whose loyalty is unshakeable, and Kaidou's own son who is on a level of strength with the samurai who was on Gol D. Roger's crew.... oh also the guy with the same powers as Kaidou is the son of that samurai! Also he can talk to all animals and has a titanic elephant the size of a mountain who is utterly loyal to him as well! Plus Pluton is underwater! Oh yeah and the guy who defeated Kaidou in a one-on-one fight and also defeated you when he was much weaker made a vow to come to the new ruler's defense in a heartbeat if he was threatened!
Crocodile: :cripes:

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Meme Emulator posted:

We still don’t know what’s happened to Amazon Lilly. Maybe Coby caught her (hahahaha yea right)

I actually fully expect Coby to have succeeded there. The dude has a habit of getting way stronger off-panel. I'm not discounting the possibility of Hancock falling for him the same way she did for Luffy, either.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I sorta doubt Hancok is the type of person to just randomly switch who she falls in love with. For one, Coby has yet to punch a World Noble in the face for his nakama.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Desumaytah posted:

I actually fully expect Coby to have succeeded there. The dude has a habit of getting way stronger off-panel. I'm not discounting the possibility of Hancock falling for him the same way she did for Luffy, either.

He probably got beat up but Hancock probably got roughed up bad too. Either that or he used his haki and realized he couldn’t hit a fellow Luffy fan.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
coby works for the wg. hancock automatically and rightfully loathes him the same as she does everyone else who serves the celestial dragons.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Counterpoint: Coby's hot.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Desumaytah posted:

Counterpoint: Coby's hot.

He's okay.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
He's got rock hard abs, and everything else, at this point

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do agree that the only way Coby might manage to save his own life while invading Amazon Lily is to randomly start fanboying about Luffy while in Hancock's earshot. Which is, to be fair, extremely likely.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Coby takes Hancock to Impel Down after telling her he keeps his collection of newspaper clippings on Luffy there.

Later on that day, Coby and Hancock leave Impel Down together, because he was telling her the truth and genuinely just wanted to show off the collection so they could see if either could fill gaps in the other's collection.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Caribou: Good news, Kaidou isn't around to stop you going for Pluton anymore!
Crocodile: Great! Who is?
Caribou: Some guy with the exact same powers as Kaidou, a gigantic army, powerful retainers whose loyalty is unshakeable, and Kaidou's own son who is on a level of strength with the samurai who was on Gol D. Roger's crew.... oh also the guy with the same powers as Kaidou is the son of that samurai! Also he can talk to all animals and has a titanic elephant the size of a mountain who is utterly loyal to him as well! Plus Pluton is underwater! Oh yeah and the guy who defeated Kaidou in a one-on-one fight and also defeated you when he was much weaker made a vow to come to the new ruler's defense in a heartbeat if he was threatened!
Crocodile: :cripes:
On the other hand I wonder if Mihawk would overhear that "country full of great swordsmen" part and get intrigued.

I also want to see the look on Crocodile's face if he learns that Robin learned about it back on Alabasta.

Honestly I see a Cross Guild invasion of Wano as being a pretty plausible development. Not only because of the Crocodile/Caribou setup, but because of Buggy's whole character arc.

Imagine: In the chaos, as all the actually competent fighters of Cross Guild are dealing with the powerful defenders of Wano, Buggy is trying to hide but accidentally falls into the drivers seat of Pluton. World-threatening antics ensue.

Yamato finds Luffy at the end of the next arc: "Wano has been attacked and Pluton stolen! I need to join your crew to help you track down and stop the most dangerous person in the world: Buggy the Clown!"

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The entire Cross Guild section of the chapter was just hilarious. Definitely looking forward to more chapters with them!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
we're taking a break this week right

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yes

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

i won’t be taking a break. i will read the next chapter this week. i’ve discovered a way.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Using my advanced observation haki to read the chapter early

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Using my advanced observation haki to read the chapter early

tried this and overshot to a future break week

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently the Netflix One Piece adaptation will only be 8 episodes (for now anyway), I believe each one is supposed to be about 40+ minutes long though:

https://twitter.com/OnePieceNxBr/status/1558133113338961920

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Romance Dawn
Shells Town
Orange Town
Syrup Village
Baratie
Arlong Park
Arlong Park pt 2
Loguetown

is my guess

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
We know for a fact they're going through Arlong Park, and I personally hope they do get to Loguetown. Buggy returning and the prophetic narration of that part are really when the scope and ambition of the story start to sink in.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Given Netflix these days I very strongly doubt this show will run for very many seasons, but I'm kind of curious as to how the show would handle future arcs. Season 2 being Baroque Works seems like the easiest bet in the world, but I wonder if they'd try to consolidate or rush through Skypeia at the end of that season or the beginning of Season 3 to get to Water 7/Enies Lobby quicker. I don't think they'd skip it because even ignoring all the poo poo that you'd want to cover like Blackbeard and Luffy going up against Enel, you desperately need at least one arc between Alabasta and Water 7 where Robin is present. I think it'd be a real challenge for them either way though because I feel like Skypeia doesn't quite have enough going on to support a full season. Maybe that's just the fact that Skypeia's never been my favorite arc speaking, though.

Now I'm really trying to figure this out, though. If they did, like, 4-5 episodes of Jaya and Skypeia, 1 of Long Ring Long Land to introduce Aokiji (I have no faith they would cover the Davy Back Fight but they should), they could do 2-3 episodes of Water 7 and leave the rest on a cliffhanger.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Darth Walrus posted:

I do agree that the only way Coby might manage to save his own life while invading Amazon Lily is to randomly start fanboying about Luffy while in Hancock's earshot. Which is, to be fair, extremely likely.

Colby and Hancock, both convinced that they are the closest person to Luffy and unwilling to surrender to the other, engaged each other in a battle so apocalyptic that it made Punk Hazard look like a farmer's market.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eiba posted:

I need to join your crew to help you track down and stop the most dangerous person in the world: Buggy the Clown!"

Luffy: .....who?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I wonder if Luffy is the only devil fruit user to (technically) not lose the ability to swim after eating the fruit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Scholtz posted:

I wonder if Luffy is the only devil fruit user to (technically) not lose the ability to swim after eating the fruit.

Huh?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Since when could Luffy swim?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Luffy very much still has the weakness to water.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
You can't lose what you never had :tipshat:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah, all throughout the first chapter, Luffy says "I'm gonna learn to swim, then I can go out to sea with you, Shanks!"

I guess any Devil Fruit user that was young enough when they ate it could also qualify, but Luffy being as old as he was, living on an island, and not knowing how to swim struck me as odd.

Also I guess any of the inanimate objects that have "eaten" Devil Fruits but that's no funl

oh, also, I caught up on my reread... so now I'm rereading again, this time with the Shueisha color scans. Man, One Piece is so much better in black & white imo

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh, you’re saying he couldn’t lose something he never had to begin with. Somehow I doubt he’s the only devil fruit user who didn’t know how to swim anyway, especially the really young ones

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

notwithyourheart posted:

i won’t be taking a break. i will read the next chapter this week. i’ve discovered a way.

I see, so that's where Toki's Devil Fruit ended up...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Spoilers for five weeks from now: One Piece is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
one piece is real alright...

█▀▀█ █▀▀ █▀▀█ █░░
█▄▄▀ █▀▀ █▄▄█ █░░
▀░▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀

█▀▀▄ █▀▀█ █▀▀▄
█▀▀▄ █▄▄█ █░░█
▀▀▀░ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀░