Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
This might not be the best thread for this, but there does seem to be a lot of people who know stuff about buildings in here.
Can anyone tell me why public bathroom doors so often open inwards?
Surely it would make more sense for them to open outwards:
- bathrooms are always a dead end, so it makes more sense for them to open outwards in an emergency, for the same reason the main entrance doors should open outwards
- gross people don't wash their hands, so its better to have them push on a door than operate a door handle

I'm also noticing all the interior doors in my house open inwards into the room. I assume this is because it doesn't block hallways? What drives door direction in architecture and building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If stall doors opened outward people would be getting hit with them all the time. Just constant stall doors to the face every time you went to poop.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
If you have enough people in a bathroom stall with you that you can't open the door inwards in an emergency, then you are seriously misusing that stall.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Just constant stall doors to the face every time you went to poop.

I wish we could have alt thread titles on hover or something.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If you have enough people in a bathroom stall with you that you can't open the door inwards in an emergency, then you are seriously misusing that stall.

man these "maximum occupancy" and "safety regulations" guys are really cramping down on my Saturday afternoons

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Splode posted:

This might not be the best thread for this, but there does seem to be a lot of people who know stuff about buildings in here.
- bathrooms are always a dead end, so it makes more sense for them to open outwards in an emergency, for the same reason the main entrance doors should open outwards
- gross people don't wash their hands, so its better to have them push on a door than operate a door handle

I'm also noticing all the interior doors in my house open inwards into the room. I assume this is because it doesn't block hallways? What drives door direction in architecture and building?

Good question, outward opening bathroom doors also have the benefit of being easy to open without using your clean hands.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Facebook Aunt posted:

If stall doors opened outward people would be getting hit with them all the time. Just constant stall doors to the face every time you went to poop.

Not the stall doors, just the door to the bathroom itself

Cat Hatter posted:

Good question, outward opening bathroom doors also have the benefit of being easy to open without using your clean hands.

Yeah see you get me

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Splode posted:

The direction of door swings is determined by architects or code consultants. Based on occupancy, generally. Bathrooms had few occupants and default to inside swings. This keeps them from becoming hazards to hallways and corridors where an outward swing would surprise people walking by, or impede people evacuating a building. There are a lot of unique situations though that you have to review and confirm it's set up safely. Janitors closets and storage areas will open out because they're small. Classrooms open out for evacuation. In your home, most doors rest open, and it's more convenient to have them tucked into the room than out into the other room or hallway.

The preferred setup for large bathrooms is to have no door at all, and provide privacy through the design, either maze entrances or other configuration so you can't see in.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 28, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Meaty Ore posted:

That whole thread is insane and worth a click through. Does Kate Wagner know about this one?

First thing that crosses my mind is that keeping that house clean & dusted would be a nightmare. So you'd better be able to live the full rich-rear end in a top hat lifstyle or love living in a dusty cobweb condo.

`Nemesis posted:

Took this pic the other night.... i get it though, this is on a busy street, but man it's ugly

Looks like it used to be a store-front with two full-height glass window displays flanking the entry, which were the coolest thing back in the day.

I've seen a lot of these conversions in parts of Philadelphia that are both residential-adjacent & where retail has pulled back over the decades.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Is that overhang over the front of that where the old pull-down for the grate you slide over the glass at night used to be?

Because that's what it looks like.

maybe where the mounting hardware used to be and they needed to cover something up?

edit: these guys, although I'm sure there's a million models and makes:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Re: bathroom chat, I worked in a building once that had outward open door to the bathroom itself and it was a loving menace. The entry was in an alcove so the door didn’t swing out into the hall but all it took was an egressing pooper in a hurry and the right timing to nearly clock someone on the way in.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I took a bunch of pictures of my horrible room.

Weird drywall cracks + where someone had a TV mount up and painted around it.

Whatever the gently caress is going on in this corner, which I use for cat litter and cleaning supply storage

Light fixture.

The crack in these tiles goes all the way from one side of the room to the other, which I imagine happened all at once like the rock in this video

However I do spend almost all of my time in here for a reason.

(I would start my own thread except I'm not really fixing any of this myself. Either my dad does it (The Mystery Switch) or I pay someone to do it (This Horrible Room). Anyway, stay tuned, because eventually we'll get to the bathroom.)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That’s a good room.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PainterofCrap posted:

First thing that crosses my mind is that keeping that house clean & dusted would be a nightmare. So you'd better be able to live the full rich-rear end in a top hat lifstyle or love living in a dusty cobweb condo.

That's the advantage of living in a castle: dust and cobwebs transform it into a spooky castle.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

PainterofCrap posted:

The first thing that caught my eye was the pair of vestigial drawbridge chains over the front entryway. And I get it, the house does have a coherent and well-executed unifying aesthetic, but drat.

Also I have to give them credit for how they worked in the garage. It's a really elegant solution that I think should done more often with homes that size.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/x02b61/i_built_a_large_shed_out_of_stuff_i_got_from_the/

Don't try to count how many things he does wrong, you'll run out of numbers.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
….all of it? Good grief.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Christ I think the load bearing capacity of that roof is measured in individual leaves.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/x02b61/i_built_a_large_shed_out_of_stuff_i_got_from_the/

I see they finally found the criminal who built my old deck.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Please enjoy your rotting floor and leaking walls.
Also, goddammit, build the loving platform and then put the walls on TOP.
and yeah, a few more roof joists, aye?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

This is like kid club-house energy, which I like, however ...

I usually think people can be a little harsh with criticism on here, but I watched your video and believe you've created a mold farm/termite buffet situation here.

I hope you don't live in city limits or in an HOA.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
He has such strong confidence while making so many wrong decisions I just assume he's a Doctor or IT professional.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
artisanal open air osb

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I admire the gusto with which he pursues the project, but dear god.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
He's heard the framing process described in vague terms at a party and once saw a building plan on a TV in the 00's, I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SpartanIvy posted:

He has such strong confidence while making so many wrong decisions I just assume he's a Doctor or IT professional.

Dunning-Kruger shed for sure

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

moist turtleneck posted:

artisanal open air osb

I know, right? Just looking at the light coming in the gaps while filming inside, oy.
At least a cheap house-wrap before siding, my dude? I mean, it's a shed, but if you're going to store stuff in there, isn't the idea to keep said stuff dry and reasonably clean? Like actually make the inside "indoors" rather than "carport" or "patio cover"? Not that the roof is sturdy enough to qualify as either of those...

edit: I mean, yay, you only spent $100, but you barely got that in terms of value. I built my 10x20 like a house (probably better than my house, and it cost something like $1500 in materials 10 years ago, but it's still dry and in good nick, as is the contents. That's just what it costs for something that will stand more than a couple years.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 30, 2022

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I built backdrops out of scrap lumber in high school theater that had more structural integrity than that shed...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Crappy construction in progress!

I can't count the number of ways this could go horribly wrong.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I think there are more emergencies that are rectified by getting into a bathroom stall than getting out.

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 3, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I think there are more emergencies that are rectified by getting into a bathroom quickly stall than getting out.

I cannot imagine being legitimately trapped in a bathroom stall in such a way that I couldn't just break the door off the frame if push came to shove. I'm not particularly strong, but those things are practically paper dressed up as metal.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Crappy construction in progress!

I can't count the number of ways this could go horribly wrong.

This is a trick question, right? Is there any feasible way this actually goes right?

I mean other than intentional workman’s comp claims. But there has to be less traumatic ways to get workman’s comp.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Warmachine posted:

I cannot imagine being legitimately trapped in a bathroom stall in such a way that I couldn't just break the door off the frame if push came to shove. I'm not particularly strong, but those things are practically paper dressed up as metal.

Fair enough. I probably could too. But like my 80 year old dad might have some difficulty.

I didn't see the video posted though so I don't know what happened in it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Hello everyone, I am sitting in my horrible room (where the floor has sunk to the point where there's a gap of about two inches between floor and wall, which I have filled with Big Gap foam) and the light has started flickering. Is it warning me in Morse code? Is the wiring in this room up to code? How many crickets got in before I sealed it up?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Even if the wiring was up to code, I imagine that code isn't as useful when the wall and the floor are going through a messy divorce.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Hello everyone, I am sitting in my horrible room (where the floor has sunk to the point where there's a gap of about two inches between floor and wall, which I have filled with Big Gap foam) and the light has started flickering. Is it warning me in Morse code?
It'a your heart. It's saying hello.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
check for korean guys in the basement

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Hello everyone, I am sitting in my horrible room (where the floor has sunk to the point where there's a gap of about two inches between floor and wall, which I have filled with Big Gap foam) and the light has started flickering. Is it warning me in Morse code? Is the wiring in this room up to code? How many crickets got in before I sealed it up?

How's the battery in your smoke detector?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A giant phone booth for giant size Superman.