Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The general idea I get is that Devils get powers not based on logic but on emotion.

So Spider Devil can teleport because people fear Spiders appearing out of nowhere, Angel Devil can turn your life into a weapon because people associate religion with things like the Crusades ect.

Chainsaws are a very primal image that brings to mind total destruction. A whirring spinning blade that grinds you into absolutely nothing painfully and violently. So it's powerful by default and the more it destroys and kills the more powerful that fear grows, especially if it fought and killed other demons who would associate its appearance with the end of their existence. (Either being thrown back to Earth from Hell or vice-versa.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

the inspiration was quite literally the Texas chainsaw massacre. I’d imagine the whole cannibalism thing in that movie is the inspiration for the power. I would imagine other devil powers are similarly inspired but who knows

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The end of the chapter reminds me of the moment in One-Punch Man just after Saitama destroys the asteroid.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ground round meal

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
When you think about it, Denji chose to solve the trolley problem by pulling the lever, or in this case, cutting down the Devil right there to prevent future casualties, so did he really defeat the Cockroach Devil in the end?

The answer is yes, that guy's brain got cut in half.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://twitter.com/D_Kumii/status/1559618138651738115?t=wI9oTgTGatIAeMJUWhLYZw&s=19

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Saving the cat is a joke, he clearly chose to kill the baddie and the cat was a bonus. It's cool he didn't save the people imo. I don't think he could have anyway and that bat would have killed just as many people when he was saving them. I don't think Denji ever cared much about life until he became really close with Aki and Power. He mentions not even really caring when Himeno died. I don't think he's callous or as callous as he used to be even but he would always have gone for the kill in that situation I think.

Was surprised to see our boy, was sure we were going to be kept on tenterhooks much longer.

I like the memes but the Trolley problem isn't apt either. Unless it had a third component where regardless of pulling the lever the trolley goes rogue and starts killing hundreds of civllians.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Saving the cat is a joke, he clearly chose to kill the baddie and the cat was a bonus. It's cool he didn't save the people imo. I don't think he could have anyway and that bat would have killed just as many people when he was saving them. I don't think Denji ever cared much about life until he became really close with Aki and Power. He mentions not even really caring when Himeno died. I don't think he's callous or as callous as he used to be even but he would always have gone for the kill in that situation I think.

Was surprised to see our boy, was sure we were going to be kept on tenterhooks much longer.

I like the memes but the Trolley problem isn't apt either. Unless it had a third component where regardless of pulling the lever the trolley goes rogue and starts killing hundreds of civllians.

I mean, the villain was intentionally evoking the trolley problem (possibly the Spider-Man version of it). Denji just didn't have time for that bullshit.

The thing with Denji is that he has a good heart, and something in the way of virtue ethics going on (his handling of Makima has him explicitly bring up that this isn't about what he wants, but about doing right by the dead) but he's grown up in the harshest parts of a cruel world, and that makes him very hardened to tragedy. People die who he doesn't know? Well, poo poo happens.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I mean he was definitely evoking the Raimi Spider-Man no doubt but that’s also not the trolley problem.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I suppose if you’re being generous you could consider all the potential people Bat would kill while Denji saves the others (if you lump that as one track). That’s getting too into the weeds and not really what’s being presented or what’s interesting about the scene ino

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

McKilligan posted:

Uh, is it ever kind of explained why, of all the devils, Chainsaw man has the ability to erase devils by eating them? Seems like a really random power to assign to chainsaws of all things, unless it was stolen from like... a devil of erasure or oblivion or something.

Rip and tear. Until it is done.

I think Denji did notice the cat, but, he's much more interested in proving the devil wrong rather than doing Good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Your yearly reminder that the little blades around a chainsaw are called teeth. Which is why he has magic eating powers.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

You're about 4 months early. :colbert:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Hey, that was still last year. But yeah, it's one of my favorite silly little bits of creative power license. Just taking an idea and running with the concept to an interesting place. It's probably compounded by the fear devils have for him, but who the hell knows how devils work?

Maybe we'll find out.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

EmmyOk posted:

I suppose if you’re being generous you could consider all the potential people Bat would kill while Denji saves the others (if you lump that as one track). That’s getting too into the weeds and not really what’s being presented or what’s interesting about the scene ino

I don't think Bat was going to be doing any more killing after being squished by Cockroach & Denji's fight.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
in chapter 20 Kobeni herself states she has a devil contract but that it's secret. I don't feel like she would lie in this situation but drat this has been a long con

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

in chapter 20 Kobeni herself states she has a devil contract but that it's secret. I don't feel like she would lie in this situation but drat this has been a long con
her agility when shes fighting katana and snake seems pretty superhuman too, we see some other characters have more difficulty dodging the snake. and shes also able to get behind the snake girl near instantly while akis fighting her and put a knife to her throat. obviously snake girl was distracted by aki but still

her having some sort of superhuman reflexes or agility would also explain her being good at ddr despite never playing it before :v:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

She hasn’t shown anything that big dog Kishibe couldn’t do. Not to say she’s on his level but those kinds of physical feats are possible without invoking your contract. Himeno also mentions she’s the opposite of Arai, cowardly bit super talented

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder what specifically you can and cannot trade for a contract. Can you literally trade meta aspects, like say, your luck? The future devil didn't exact a real price for it but you can also seemingly trade for persistent abilities rather than the one-off stuff most of the other devil hunters do where you just trade away say, some flesh or blood per usage. Can you contract with a devil to just get a generic, persistent physical boost?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Kobeni trading her luck would be a really funny concept, especially if it was something like "I might as well trade my luck; I'm always so darn unlucky anyways. How much worse could it actually get?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the only appropriate trade for Konebi would be the exact same as the Future Devil: I'll give you power but I get to watch and laugh at every single thing that happens to you.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I kind of assume whatever Kobeni's contract is, assuming she does have one, is something stealth related. Her combat skill is well within the standards for the manga's "normal" humans, but she manages to vanish in several situations that seem unusual, with Reze only noticing her when she's mentioned by name.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's impossible to say how much of kobeni's problems are due to her own natural weird misfortune and what came from her mystery contract. likewise, her physical abilities because she never did anything explicitly superhuman.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kobeni came across superhuman prowess through sheer anxiety and also caring for like ten little siblings

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
oh of course she's contracted with the anxiety devil, which is very strong when out of sight but weaker when directly confronted

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

absolutely losin my poo poo at the last two pages this week. just incredible stuff

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

God I've missed Denji and his particular philosophy on life :allears:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Denji. Denji never changes.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

absolutely losin my poo poo at the last two pages this week. just incredible stuff

this entire chapter was fully ftw. interesting to see that despite all the publicity and market value Chainsaw Man holds that public opinion on him is really diverse and mixed, and also a hearty lol at Denji just chopping into the cake with his hand after being denied silverware. God i love this manga

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
man, I think Denji’s actively gotten stupider, like he was never smart but you’d really think he’d be able to already guess from public reception and all of part 1 that Chainsaw Man fangirl action is gonna be hollow and empty.

Not that, you know, I’m complaining. Super stoked to get a rehash of the “Denji tries to grab a titty” arc.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

this entire chapter was fully ftw. interesting to see that despite all the publicity and market value Chainsaw Man holds that public opinion on him is really diverse and mixed, and also a hearty lol at Denji just chopping into the cake with his hand after being denied silverware. God i love this manga

yueah i really liked that even though as a whole chainsaw man's super popular there are a ton of people that don't like him. it definitely makes sense!

also lmfao at denji getting on tv and instantly trying to say that he's chainsawman and giving out his phone number before he gets shut down by the camera crew

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

baba booey baba booey i am chains-*camera cuts*

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Denji's logic is so solid Yoshida can't argue against it

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Denji is too powerful for mere mortals.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Denji you delightful loving moron.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

:bahgawd:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

got a good sense of like 14 different personalities with 1 panel each in 3 pages, without using exaggerated designs. fujimoto is good at this

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
holy gently caress lol we do not deserve denji

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I missed that dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chainsaw Man: If you ask me chainsaw man hasn't eaten that cat