Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Sevarian from Book of the New Sun is probably a worse person by an order of magnitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Knowing nothing about Coventry of Tom, I can say for certain Severian was.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gnoman posted:

I didn't like that for the pretty simple reason that the Lord Ruler wasn't the actual Hero, he was some jealous asshat who shanked the Hero and was unfit to actually replace him, so it felt like Sanderson chickened out on an actually clever idea.

Except that the Hero was going to release Ruin who would destroy the world(universe?) after it got out. The Lord Ruler (according to the Wikipedia summary I read because it's been a couple decades since I read the series) had been ordered to shank the Hero to prevent that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MartingaleJack posted:

Sevarian from Book of the New Sun is probably a worse person by an order of magnitude.

Yeah and I have tried three times now to get into that book and I just can't. I can read about terrible people but something has to carry me through, and for whatever reason Gene Wolfe does not click with me. I've tried the Wizard Knight and New Sun a few times each. I'll probably keep trying! One day maybe it'll click. I don't know if other folk feel this, but sometimes I *really* have to be in the right headspace for a certain book. Trying to force it feels like homework.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you want, the Long Sun cycle doesn't spoil anything for New Sun and it's principal character Silk is maybe the nicest character in any book I've met. Dude really with his whole heart just wants people to live their best lives and be happy. Dude spends most his time trying to impress wisdom on the younger generations, help out the destitute of his quarter even the church non attendees, and frying tomatoes.

Short Sun is more connected and shouldn't be read without New Sun and Urth

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I haven't read or heard of a fantasy or sci-fi novel about horrible people doing horrible things that sounds remotely appealing unless Titus Groan/Gormenghast (which I only know by reputation but have on my to-read list) fits that niche

I think it's probably really hard to do that with a sci-fi or fantasy work that's too far removed from the real world because usually when a protagonist that's a horrible person works, we can at least sympathize a little with why they're doing what they're doing, and readers usually need a hook of some sort like that. This is the bread and butter of crime stories. The characters get to exist outside of real world social conventions that can feel stifling and do things the audience can't really do, but those real world conventions are present enough in the story they both function by way of contrast to tell you what the appeal of these characters are, and remind you why they're conventions at all.

Or else, you can have something like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly which succeeds very well as an action-adventure epic with a completely immoral main cast, but it works in large part less by pushing against stifling conventions (it does do some of this though) but more by actively mocking real-world sentimentality about the American Civil War. The satirical edge clearly grounds why it's fun to watch these horrible people be horrible.

But in fantasy and sci-fi, unless very clearly extrapolating something from the real world to some extreme (AFAIK the Gormenghast books do this), often breaks loose from the real world enough that it becomes a harder sell, especially if we've got a nerd author interested in 'worldbuilding'. Anything the author puts in the setting doesn't get the automatic pass that it says anything about the real world, the audience needs to be convinced it says something about the real world. Maybe the author succeeds at this! Lord knows somehow people were convinced A Game of Thrones is more 'realistic' than it is. But there's an extra step to take here where the setting of the bad-guy protagonist's actions has to justify itself in fantasy/sci-fi moreso than if we were dealing with such a protagonist in their more conventional contexts. It's just not inherently compelling in the same way to see a character break some social or ethical code that also only exists because of the author, unless the author convinces us it has a reason to exist beyond antagonizing the protagonist.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I don't wanna get too kissassy here but a recentish thing that to me was genuinely dark and shocking and good in SF/F was the end of Baru 1, and I think it's because that darkness is interpersonal, they could be in our world and a similar story could play out and the word victory would still taste like grave dirt. Obviously there aren't 100% direct real world analogues to every single secondary world element but being asked to sacrifice everything for power is an experience that people in this world can understand even if they've never done the same, it's a people thing, people remain people wherever you put them.

Baru is somebody in a lovely world trying to do good and it leads her to commit a horrible act, and that to me is good darkness.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 31, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Falls Down Stairs posted:

But there's an extra step to take here where the setting of the bad-guy protagonist's actions has to justify itself in fantasy/sci-fi moreso than if we were dealing with such a protagonist in their more conventional contexts. It's just not inherently compelling in the same way to see a character break some social or ethical code that also only exists because of the author, unless the author convinces us it has a reason to exist beyond antagonizing the protagonist.
An example of this done right (if I understand the point which I'm honestly not too sure about) would be The Sad Tale of Brothers Grossbart where truly repulsive characters constantly try to adjust and justify their position in medieval morals.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo. That Beware of Chicken guy is making 13k a month on Patreon.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
All of Joe Abercrombie is basically the same dilemma--bad people trying to be good with the hand they've been dealt, but being forced into darker and darker corners.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Slice of life is popular as gently caress lately lol. I guess all of our power fantasies have degenerated to 'man having a house would be awesome'

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I would way rather read a story about a decent person in a lovely world (eg I love the Raymond Chandler books) than a lovely person making a lovely world shittier.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

HopperUK posted:

I would way rather read a story about a decent person in a lovely world (eg I love the Raymond Chandler books) than a lovely person making a lovely world shittier.

Sometimes you get a story like this but then the author shits all over them to demonstrate the naivete of being a good person

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Goon Selkie Myth is making p dece figgies as well, last I checked. Randidddly Ghosthound guy was doing even better at his peak.

One could argue that spending a year as a Popular This Week RR darling is a bigger payday than a contract with one of the big 5(big 3 now?)

Edit: Not that it’s anybodys business how much anybody makes. I just happened to be creeping on RR patreon pages recently

navyjack fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 31, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's all public basically, if there's a Patreon. I never understood the whole "keep your salary secret!" aspect of doing stuff for a living. poo poo, if I made 13k a month I'd be more than happy to do a breakdown of expenses/salary/takehome as soon as someone asked. Gotta know what the market pays before you can make a decision on if you want to bother with it.

I don't know much about rr, or Patreon really, but it seems like more and more authors and creatives are using it as a supplement to their usual income if it isn't their primary income.

It's kinda nice seeing people making money doing what they love (or are really good at). It's less about getting that big contract and having your books for sale in Walmart or something, and more just direct feedback from everyone on how much they dig your ideas/writing.

Sorry, didn't mean to drag the thread off topic, was just amazed this dude is pulling in more than most book contracts I hear about every month via his fanbase.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It's no different than any other content mill driven by algorithms and trends. Don't start thinking, oh, people read this stuff and the author earns x? It must be easy. The things that get popular do so because they vibe with the tastes of the RR userbase and it's getting increasingly difficult and energy-intensive to break into the market. It used to be that updating 2-3 times a week was seen as optimal, then it was updating every day, now it's multiple times a day. On top of that, you need about fifty chapters of backlog to dole out to advance Patrons, etc. etc. But there's absolutely money in the RR -> Kindle pipeline. I'd say RR is a better site to use than any of those innumerable WebNovel.com sites or whatever, and it's not the stillborn Vella.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 31, 2022

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

anilEhilated posted:

My biggest problem with Thomas Covenant was how incredibly generic and boring all the fantasy elements were. rear end in a top hat savior is not necessarily a bad concept for a book, but there's zero fun in discovering the world and characters.

Yeah, that's why I liked whichever one it was with the Sunbane corrupting the land the most, but then they all sailed away and it got meh again. I swear one of the greatest revelations of my life was realising that I didn't have to finish books/series that were boring/irritating/revolting me.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I stopped reading Thomas Covenant #1 because the copy I got from the library was just missing about 80 pages. Not torn out or anything, the pagecount and narrative just jumped. Honestly I wasn't getting much out of it, that lovely printer did me a favour.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Edit: Disregard, skipped a page.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 31, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
:hmmyes:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Runcible Cat posted:

I swear one of the greatest revelations of my life was realising that I didn't have to finish books/series that were boring/irritating/revolting me.

Yes. As a young impressionable teenager I read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and it taught me that same very valuable lesson, that starting a book does not obligate me to finish it.

I did finish that one, but the lesson I took away from it has saved me so many hours in the years since then. So thanks for that, I guess, Ayn Rand.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Groke posted:

Yes. As a young impressionable teenager I read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and it taught me that same very valuable lesson, that starting a book does not obligate me to finish it.

I did finish that one, but the lesson I took away from it has saved me so many hours in the years since then. So thanks for that, I guess, Ayn Rand.

I don't think I ever got around to reading it but was there any place in Atlas Shrugged where all those wealthy, brilliant 'men of the mind' sorted out who collected the trash, cleaned the sewers or did colonoscopies in Galt's Gulch?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Everyone posted:

I don't think I ever got around to reading it but was there any place in Atlas Shrugged where all those wealthy, brilliant 'men of the mind' sorted out who collected the trash, cleaned the sewers or did colonoscopies in Galt's Gulch?

They didn’t need to because by that point you know Rand will asspull whatever she needs to make her point. Further asspulls would be wasted words so of course she avoided them

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I don't wanna get too kissassy here but a recentish thing that to me was genuinely dark and shocking and good in SF/F was the end of Baru 1, and I think it's because that darkness is interpersonal, they could be in our world and a similar story could play out and the word victory would still taste like grave dirt. Obviously there aren't 100% direct real world analogues to every single secondary world element but being asked to sacrifice everything for power is an experience that people in this world can understand even if they've never done the same, it's a people thing, people remain people wherever you put them.

Baru is somebody in a lovely world trying to do good and it leads her to commit a horrible act, and that to me is good darkness.

Personally, I think Baru 1 is phenomenal because it stands to usher in the newest, hottest meme in SF/F reader culture. What I like to call: Tainposting. Observe.

Forgive me, General. posted:

The Duchess Vultjag's fierce dark eyes traced the lines of her mask.

"If I pulled that off," she asked, "would you die?"

Baru canted her gaze and cupped the duchess Tain Hu's chin in her hand. "It would be extremely painful."

Tain Hu smiled between her thumb and forefinger. "You're a strong woman."

"For you," Baru said, her voice a whisper -- or perhaps, a warning.

No! Farrier thought as chaos struck the court. This can’t be happening! I’m in charge here!

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 31, 2022

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
No, sister, they expect one of us in the ocean

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

DAILY TELEGRAPH

Is Tain Culture Destroying Our Schools?
Hu-se prices set to fall at highest ever rate

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
:shepicide:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, I think this is why Thomas Covenant and The Engineer didn't land at all for me. The motivations are still very understandable and human; we see "if there are no consequences for my actions I can do whatever awful poo poo I desire" and "I'm going to make those assholes who slighted me loving suffer for their impudence" play out in real life all the time. But in those books, as in real life, the result is a story about "a lovely person making a lovely world shittier" and the books have no answer for why I should read them anyways.

Like, if I want to read "bad person does bad things for bad reasons and makes everything worse for everyone" for a thousand pages I can just doomscroll google news. :smithicide:

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

And in contrast, Baru (and Cyteen) did land for me because even though Baru and the Arianes do some awful poo poo, they are genuinely trying to make the world a better place -- it may be open to debate whether the ends justify the means (or whether the means will even lead to the desired ends), but the ends themselves are a lot easier to justify and I keep reading because I want to know if they can pull it off -- and, if they do, how they then deal with the emotional weight of everything they did to get there.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is it still a dreamlike experience in the book? It's one thing to think hell yeah, a dream, I can kill all of my enemies haha how do you like that losers???

And quite another when every shred of the actual sensation of killing a person who doesn't want to die is communicated to you in actual detail because it's real. No sympathetic person would enjoy that.

It's the gulf between an action movie and a snuff film.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Please stop the Tainposting immediately, I don't have time to re-read Baru right now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Is it still a dreamlike experience in the book? It's one thing to think hell yeah, a dream, I can kill all of my enemies haha how do you like that losers???

And quite another when every shred of the actual sensation of killing a person who doesn't want to die is communicated to you in actual detail because it's real. No sympathetic person would enjoy that.

It's the gulf between an action movie and a snuff film.

Nah, he just decides he must be dreaming and assaults the young girl who is nursing him. It describes her pain and fear as obvious to him. It loving sucks.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

HopperUK posted:

Nah, he just decides he must be dreaming and assaults the young girl who is nursing him. It describes her pain and fear as obvious to him. It loving sucks.

It's been a while since I read it, but I think the thing that's almost worse than the rape is the way the rest of the Land just decides, "Well, you're new here and you are the Savior of the World, so we're gonna give you a mulligan on the whole violent sexual assault thing."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

withak posted:

Please stop the Tainposting immediately, I don't have time to re-read Baru right now.

I read that as "Tainspotting" and instantly started to compose a Choose Life monologue.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Everyone posted:

It's been a while since I read it, but I think the thing that's almost worse than the rape is the way the rest of the Land just decides, "Well, you're new here and you are the Savior of the World, so we're gonna give you a mulligan on the whole violent sexual assault thing."

What I recall is that the girl's mom is, like, really super mad about it, but she has to accompany him on his quest and help him anyway. Even as a dumb teenage shithead in the 1980s I thought this was super hosed up and did not continue the series.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Every time I've seen someone decide to use sexual assault as a plot device in their fiction story, it seems to be from someone who does not adequately understand the severe implications of it, and it feels very insulting for folks who actually have to deal with and navigate the ramifications of sexual assault in their day to day lives. I think there is a huge responsibility in deploying it as a plot device and most writers seem to not respect that responsibility.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keret posted:

Every time I've seen someone decide to use sexual assault as a plot device in their fiction story, it seems to be from someone who does not adequately understand the severe implications of it, and it feels very insulting for folks who actually have to deal with and navigate the ramifications of sexual assault in their day to day lives. I think there is a huge responsibility in deploying it as a plot device and most writers seem to not respect that responsibility.

Cherryh I would say is an exception to this. But for the most part, yeah.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I read a lengthy analysis of sexual violence in Donaldson's work (I have not read any of his work but I understand his Gap sequence is even more saturated with said violence). It argued that Donaldson is concerned with the effect of rape on the perpetrator, as an utterly destructive and dehumanizing choice which has unthinkable consequences on one's humanity. And while there might be something important to say there, I don't know, I'm sure choosing to do something so horrible is very bad for you, it strikes me as kind of the same as all these movies about how hard it is to be a drone pilot blowing up innocent Pakistanis, which is to say extremely :jerkbag:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Jenna Moran's new novel The Night-Bird's Feather is out September 22, and she says that if pre-orders and first-week sales are good enough to lift her out of her usual circle of readers, she's going to make the playtest draft of the fourth edition of Nobilis available to the public. If you're interested in either of those things, or if "Vita Nostra meets Studio Ghibli" sounds like it would appeal to you, consider pre-ordering maybe?

Jenna Moran posted:

Besides "some of my best," it's ... an epic fantasy with a veritable smoothie of other fantasy subgenres mixed in (and a dash of the literary, too), with a focus on the social construction of worth, the internal process of constructing experience, the weight of accumulated preconceptions of the self, and dysmorphia. Lately I've been calling it Vita Nostra meets Spirited Away. ^_^

In the meantime I have to finish putting all the page numbers into the ePub before that day comes.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
As someone who read the Gap Cycle but not the Thomas Covenant books, that doesn't really ring true to me. Angus is already a monster before he rapes Morn, and him doing so doesn't really have any corrupting effect on him. As someone who's not particularly triggered or bothered by sexual assault in fiction, the whole series handling of Angus seemed rather careless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Patrick Spens posted:

As someone who read the Gap Cycle but not the Thomas Covenant books, that doesn't really ring true to me. Angus is already a monster before he rapes Morn, and him doing so doesn't really have any corrupting effect on him. As someone who's not particularly triggered or bothered by sexual assault in fiction, the whole series handling of Angus seemed rather careless.

Yeah. In covenant it's a horrible thing he does, it fucks up the family, it has catastrophic consequences, he suffers for it, it's a whole thing. The Gap one is "then he did a whole bunch of raping, then he did some other stuff, then he got turned into an immortal super cyborg."

The Gap went rather weird towards the end