Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Elden ring is sick.

But yeah the targaryens read like the master race to me lol. it might have been better in the books or I just wasn’t paying attention close enough but on screen it seems pretty racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

A MIRACLE posted:

Elden ring is sick.

But yeah the targaryens read like the master race to me lol. it might have been better in the books or I just wasn’t paying attention close enough but on screen it seems pretty racist

To be fair, this was already baked into pretty much everything about Dany from the jump.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

A MIRACLE posted:

Elden ring is sick.

They are irredeemable assholes so yeah, master race fits, in that they make everything horrible for everyone else but do not succeed. Except maybe in the PROPHECY of Ice and Fire and saving Westeros sort of. And Aegon is cool I guess. Some Dark Side guys get cool swords and armor and victory moves.

Also RE: Prestige TV, it seems like a call back to "trust us and wait for it" which has been abused pretty thoroughly but also had its upsides. Slow burns are great and often enjoyable, especially at a binge pace, but having a payoff is expected. When the payoff is GoT season 8 or pick your failure it erodes that trust.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

None of the beliefs they have about their own superiority are actually true though. The only thing that really makes them different is being immune to fire and that was a one-time miracle in the books that got extended to a general quality in the show.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think I just got confused by the Rasta Targaryen, he seemed like a stand in to show they aren’t racist but I still thought they were if that makes sense

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

A MIRACLE posted:

I think I just got confused by the Rasta Targaryen, he seemed like a stand in to show they aren’t racist but I still thought they were if that makes sense

It would be interesting/horrible if they had some kind of backstory as to why he wasn't "alabaster-skinned" or however they describe Targs but it's probably more likely just the modern trend to cast actors without regard to race*.

*in a very calculated way that must never be talked about or made fun of in "behind the scenes" skits and suchlike because actually it is good after all

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Also RE: Prestige TV, it seems like a call back to "trust us and wait for it" which has been abused pretty thoroughly but also had its upsides. Slow burns are great and often enjoyable, especially at a binge pace, but having a payoff is expected.

I'm having less and less patience with mystery box shows that reveal little to nothing in their first season. The mystery needs to be unwrapping the entire time, you can't just inundate the audience with weeeeeeird stuff constantly before they'll grow tired and frustrated.

But actually, you can do some of that if the characters and story otherwise are compelling. I was a huge Lost fan back in the day, felt burned by the finale, and didn't watch it again for years. Then I rewatched it again during the start of the pandemic, and sure, the ending still sucks, but I had forgotten how much I loved all these characters, and how funny even some of the more filler episodes could be. The show had problems, but there was a reason why it was so huge.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

A MIRACLE posted:

Why is your first reaction to seeing a black person on TV to call him "rasta" and assume he is there to make the show less racist, man?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Cause everyone there was white as gently caress I guess idk. I get he’s not really rasta

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm gonna nerd out a little bit on the Dragon Show: Corlys Velaryon is a Velaryon, not a Targaryen. Two different families, both from the same region that was destroyed by a volcano. House Velaryon is apparently a vassal of House Targaryen but the show is of course getting into some political schemes.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Do you mean Corlys? I feel like they go out of their way to tell you he married in

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The genre is called fantasy. You gotta ask yourself if your fantasy is a world where black people don’t exist

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

assume he is there to make the show less racist, man?

Well, I mean… he is. GRRM even tried to take a little credit by saying he was totally thinking of making the Velaryons black(but then he didn’t) so he’s glad the show did. It’s a good thing these guys are no longer all 100% insanely white though, but I guess they have to stick with the white hair no matter what.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

idek what I’m talking about sorry

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm back on Netflix, and I'm 8 episodes into Sandman. All of the stuff in the dreamworld and Morpheus is really interesting, but all of the real world stuff is tonally inconsistent, and full of hokey, terrible acting, especially the actress who plays Rose Walker. A lot of the dialogue also doesn't sound very natural.

Edit: just figured out that a lot of this has to do with the fact that this was filmed entirely in England, and that 90% of the cast are English actors playing American. A lot of them are overemphasizing the American R, and have a weird cadence with how they're speaking.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 31, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
itt that Elden Ring would actually make a good Netflix show. just have a bunch of one-off stories about Ranni, Hogaak, Wizard Mom, etc

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, but they'd never do that. Instead they'd do some grand overarching deep-worldbuilding mythos-encompassing wold-ending nonsense to out-epic all of the other epic fantasy shows. Hollywood is incapable of understanding that small-stakes episodic fantasy is the best way to make the genre shine.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

im watching the patient, I'm not really sure what kind of show this is supposed to be yet. its kinda cool, there are a lot of musical stings to remind you how tesne the situation is!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, but they'd never do that. Instead they'd do some grand overarching deep-worldbuilding mythos-encompassing wold-ending nonsense to out-epic all of the other epic fantasy shows. Hollywood is incapable of understanding that small-stakes episodic fantasy is the best way to make the genre shine.

I feel like the Witcher did pretty well with the monster of the week premise. The first season was kinda inconsistent but I think they did a lot better on the second season, I hope it keeps going and improves.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

https://ew.com/tv/tv-reviews/lord-of-the-rings-rings-of-power-amazon/

sounds like poo poo! can't wait for the wailing :sickos:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I’m trying to be less mean spirited but I want this to fail so bad. I’m sorry LOTR fans, it’s purely out of hate for Amazon.

Edit: that article was not very convincing to me though. And the screenshots look pretty good. I guess we’ll see tomorrow!

Starks fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 31, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Starks posted:

I’m trying to be less mean spirited but I want this to fail so bad. I’m sorry LOTR fans, it’s purely out of hate for Amazon.

Edit: that article was not very convincing to me though. And the screenshots look pretty good. I guess we’ll see tomorrow!

I read a review by io9 saying that the first few episodes are very slow to start, but then the show starts to pick up steam from there

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's cool that in 2022 everyone can be talking about LOTR and GOT again, and probably watch an Avatar movie before the end of the year

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is it, though...? I mean, I hope they're all good but I'd rather be talking about interesting-looking stuff that isn't based on a pre-existing franchise.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Starks posted:

Hoping a franchise I like fails because it's owned by a big company is not a good take

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Field Mousepad posted:

Hoping a franchise I like fails because it's owned by a big company is not a good take

it's a tv show not a person. it's ok.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

It's cool that in 2022 everyone can be talking about LOTR and GOT again, and probably watch an Avatar movie before the end of the year

We also got a Predator movie that will probably be the best of these sequels

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Worth noting many of the reviews for rings of power were a bit more positive than the EW article, but everyone only got the two episodes to review so it's kind of hard to say how it's going to turn out.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Famethrowa posted:

I was very irritated by the half-wits who kludged together The Dark Tower movie and can be upset if Amazon wastes potential like that. Them wasting hundreds of millions in the process is cold comfort though.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In streaming news, Paramount+ and the OTT Showtime service are now one.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Famethrowa posted:

Eh still not a good look

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

It’s not really a take, it’s just how I feel. I can’t control what my heart roots for. I already apologized.

it’s also not about the franchise but about the fact they spent a billion goddamn dollars on it. I hope you get a really good LOTR anime instead

Starks fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 31, 2022

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Kingtheninja posted:

Worth noting many of the reviews for rings of power were a bit more positive than the EW article, but everyone only got the two episodes to review so it's kind of hard to say how it's going to turn out.

Yep the reviewers seem to be pretty good so far overall (nice cherry picking the worst review out there), but since only 2 episodes none of it matters.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for whoever brought up Miracle Workers, absolutely hilarious (although season three is way more inferior compared to the previous ones, like honestly gently caress uncle sam, what's with casting black people as super pro 19th century america lmao)

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm willing to believe this is a hoax tweet

https://twitter.com/BigGulpAmerikan/status/1565085151318745089

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm willing to believe this is a hoax tweet

it's absolutely not the intro (https://ew.com/tv/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-cover-story/), but lmao what a weird little clip

https://twitter.com/boobastank/status/1565123769059926017

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 1, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

lmao that works too perfectly. It needs name subtitles though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Floating faces?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRtYuG6MgX8

mystes posted:

lmao that works too perfectly. It needs name subtitles though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO-Vzn38PYw

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 1, 2022

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

https://twitter.com/transparencyboo/status/1565140014559907848

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1565159658758836227

DEAR GOD.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Miracle Workers is great but WOW is season 3 a complete dropoff in every single way. I guess it's also the first season not based on a novel or short story. Here's hoping s4 is a return to form.