Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I still like the zombies just because of how Johnathan frames it.

"These guys I learned about in history class are here! Right now! Fighting me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Bisse posted:

Posting my thoughts and reactions after each arc just for fun!

PART 1: PHANTOM BLOOD

Thoughts: My mind is blown, this is an awesome ride, can't wait for 8 more arcs of this bizarre creativity. Excellent way to start a series.

Favourite parts:
I can't believe Jack the Ripper is not included in the list.

Actually, there seems to be some debate on his Surprise Entrance. Personally, I always thought that he was hiding inside a Live Horse because that makes the scene a hundred times funnier. However I've heard that some see it as him hiding into a decapitated horse.

Also, please post more thoughts as you go on.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 30, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Vookatos posted:

I can't believe Jack the Ripper is not included in the list.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/notmista/status/1564242522389479424

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmfao

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Could he give the babies knives for hands?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Speedwagon busting out his abs to warm up Zeppeli's arm is a top 3 jojo moment for me. Huge fuckin lols every time

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/WendySnowRadish/status/1564967518845997058

the second chunk out of 3, but yeah

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Netflix is poorly managing the release? Who could’ve seen this coming

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Maybe one day it'll get a toonami run that treats it better

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mostly hoping netflix drops it like a rock after part 6 comes out and they've thoroughly blown their foot off with how they handled it so there's no interference with a part 7 anime

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it looks like it's still quality, though I only watched like the first five episodes, but there's like anti-hype now

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it looks like it's still quality, though I only watched like the first five episodes, but there's like anti-hype now

Wait it's up right now? God drat it I got work soon. :mad:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait it's up right now? God drat it I got work soon. :mad:

nah I meant the first season of it. it's not as though the show has dropped in quality, there's just zero hype

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

mostly hoping netflix drops it like a rock after part 6 comes out and they've thoroughly blown their foot off with how they handled it so there's no interference with a part 7 anime

Netflix drops it but keeps some obscure licensing rights which means no other network globally can air it, thus ensuring parts 7 and 8 never get animated

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

As much as I’d prefer it to go back to monthly TV format. I think the best chance of getting the next parts animated is if Netflix funds them. SBR alone would be long and expensive. While the release schedule is frustrating and there was barely any advertising I’m fairly sure Stone Ocean did fairly well when it launched.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ASBR got released in Japan today and fellas, I'm sad to say Petshop is at it again

https://twitter.com/LLon_Kim/status/1565025901024526337?s=20&t=u-HEdT47lqePr_LmsoCCEA

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

ASBR got released in Japan today and fellas, I'm sad to say Petshop is at it again

https://twitter.com/LLon_Kim/status/1565025901024526337?s=20&t=u-HEdT47lqePr_LmsoCCEA

But if you close your eyes,
Does it almost feel like nothing changed at all?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

he can’t keep getting away with it! :negative:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Waffleman_ posted:

There's no way that this is an accident. :allears:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can someone explain? Like I know Petshop is busted in the PS1 game, but I'm not sure what that tweet is demonstrating.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Unblockable attack

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Unblockable attack

Oh lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

specifically it’s an overhead attack (can only be blocked while standing) and a low attack (can only be blocked while crouching) both landing simultaneously, which means you can’t block

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Can't you sidestep dodge in ASB?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Real power move if they add Tooru in the season pass and Pet Shop's attacks go through Wonder of U

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

It’s a sin

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They localised Limp Bizkit as Limp Viscuit rather than Flaccid Pancake.

Flush this localisation down the sewer pipe

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

gently caress this

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

netflix is the worst thing to happen to jojo

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

That unblockable doesn’t seem too bad? You need to set it up, the opponent can change the timing or avoid it by moving, and you need to burn meter.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bisse posted:

That unblockable doesn’t seem too bad? You need to set it up, the opponent can change the timing or avoid it by moving, and you need to burn meter.

Been saying this about the Netflix deal

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

PART 2: Battle Tendency

Holy hell what a ride. Loved it, and it had some fantastic moments, but I felt like the story arc and setup wasn't as fresh or memorable as Phantom Blood. The first part was unique in so many ways, and this part was also awesome but structurally the story is basically just Goku and Vegeta training with Master Roshi to fight off the Saiyans. Overall I feel like i'll remember Phantom Blood for the story and Battle Tendency for many of it's incredible moments.

Loved:
- "Work? OHH NOO"
- "And now you're going to say:"
- The stupid clackers being ridiculed by everyone around him and in a surprise twist, remaining basically completely useless forever.
- The loving ending, I spent the last two episodes trying to figure out how to possibly defeat a perfect immortal being, but oh of course you just blow up a volcano and launch him into space!
- Murder squirrels
- Laughed my loving rear end OFF at the first fight in the diner, where the vampire talks for minutes about how perfect he is and how he's countered every of JoJo's moves, and how will you defeat me now!! JoJo!!! *LinkedList of glued grenades*
- Joseph was a great protagonist, I liked how he contrasted his grandfather the Ultimate Gentleman with being a streetsmart, lazy, temperamental idiot.
- Caesar's death came out of nowhere and hit me hard, ouch. Did not see that coming.
- Waamu ended up being a truly memorable villain. A true man, in his own peculiar way.
- Strondheim. My heart beats for you. If only you weren't a nazi.
- The blade has little sparkly chainsaw teeth on it oh my god that is SO CUTE!!!
- I really adore how the fights are focusing much more on strategy than strength, it feels like if Bleach was written competently, executed well and compressed to be about 10 times shorter and faster. I think none of the fights involved more than 4 exchanges of blows before they were over.

Hated:
- Lisa Lisa suffering the usual anime female treatment of being basically useless, getting ambushed while bathing naked, and finally ending up a damsel in distress.
- I feel like the part missed a proper villain, the bad guys were cool but felt like Saiyans arriving from outer space, and had very little personal connections or relations with the main character. There were exciting fights for sure but the personal drama was missing.
- All in all the fighting in the end in Switzerland dragged on a bit by the end, although the chariot fight was fantastic.
- Hamon, you can tell the author is trying to get creative with it and sometimes succeeding but it was reaching its limits near the end for sure. Without prior knowledge I'd expect it to get either upgraded or replaced with something else soon, but since the internet exists i'm now hype as hell for some Stand battle!
- The hamon training was boring and the pillar climb was both dumb and boring. It didn't feel like the training made any tangible difference other than villains verbally agreeing that wow you sure are stronger now.
- Re: Bleach, this also felt a bit like the bad part of later bleach, namely becoming more focused on figths and powers to the detriment of overal story and character building. I hope the series doesn't continue going too far down this road.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 1, 2022

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Bisse posted:

Hated:
- Lisa Lisa suffering the usual anime female treatment of being basically useless, getting ambushed while bathing naked, and finally ending up a damsel in distress.
- I feel like the part missed a proper villain, the bad guys were cool but felt like Saiyans arriving from outer space, and had very little personal connections or relations with the main character. There were exciting fights for sure but the personal drama was missing.
- Hamon, you can tell the author is trying to get creative with it and sometimes succeeding but it was reaching its limits near the end for sure. Without prior knowledge I'd expect it to get either upgraded or replaced with something else soon, but since the internet exists i'm now hype as hell for some Stand battle!
You're definintely echoing the opinions of many here. Lisa Lisa and Erina are like this because editors at that time didn't allow women to do much.
In his book, Manga in Theory and Practice, he talks a lot about breaking rules, which paint JoJo as some sort of miracle. Apparently some rules were very strict, and both Jonathan being English, not Japanese, and him dying are his "gently caress you" moments to some of the established manga conventions.
Kars is definitely less memorable than most villains, even if he has a cool design and the hair reveal is fantastic. He's mostly remembered for what's probably the most over-the-top fight in all of JoJo and not for any of his actions or motivations though, unfortunately.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Vookatos posted:

Kars is definitely less memorable than most villains, even if he has a cool design and the hair reveal is fantastic. He's mostly remembered for what's probably the most over-the-top fight in all of JoJo and not for any of his actions or motivations though, unfortunately.

He's got that moment where he saves a dog. In Jojo, that speaks volumes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wamuu is basically the main villain of Part 2 and Kars is just kinda there until he becomes the apex apex predator.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

th icon says medium/low, not high/low though

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They localised Limp Bizkit as Limp Viscuit rather than Flaccid Pancake.

Flush this localisation down the sewer pipe

One job, Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Honestly I'm more annoyed at Kiss->Smack. "Limp Viscuit" is still a pretty funny name