Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

My wife's number for the preliminary test was high, then she did the 3 hour test and everything came back pretty much in the middle of normal. I wouldn't freak out just yet.

This is basically what happened to me too; the 1-hour test was high, and the results at hours 2 and 3 for the 3-hour test were at the low end of normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Joining the club. Annoyed I picked up on symptoms so drat early, I was hoping to be cheerfully oblivious for a while yet.

According to the doc I'm likely to be "5-weeks-4-days" along, but I wasn't 100% certain on the exact date of my last period and am getting an ultrasound in a fortnight to confirm that's the right ballpark. I suspect it is, but hey, who knows.

As for symptoms... This all kicked off coz I thought I had covid a fortnight ago. I had the flu-like symptoms and also like I wanted to throw up and some weird cramping pains, most of which is relatively common for the strain going round from what I gather, but the PCR was negative for COVID and a raft of other nasties. Then... I got slightly better, had the sketchiest positive on a pregnancy test two days after, tested solidly positive the following day, and have largely been feeling "mildly run down" since.

I went in to the GP about this + UTI symptoms that cropped up today only to find out UTI symptoms can also be a symptom of pregnancy. :argh:

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

WrenP-Complete posted:

Update: I may have finally turned a corner on this whole morning sickness business, thank goodness.

Also my little sister is due with her first 6 days before me!

My SIL is due 3 weeks before me, we're both having our firsts. My MIL's gonna freak out. :3:

froglet posted:

Joining the club. Annoyed I picked up on symptoms so drat early, I was hoping to be cheerfully oblivious for a while yet.

Welcome to the club! Hopefully it'll ease out a bit.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Had my 8+4 ultrasound today with a heartbeat of 175. Also graduated from my fertility doc, so I'll be doing a viability scan with my regular OBGYN two weeks from tomorrow.

Each new piece of good news makes me feel a little better but I still can't quite shake the feeling of doom. Infertility really does a number on you.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

JaneError posted:

Had my 8+4 ultrasound today with a heartbeat of 175. Also graduated from my fertility doc, so I'll be doing a viability scan with my regular OBGYN two weeks from tomorrow.

Each new piece of good news makes me feel a little better but I still can't quite shake the feeling of doom. Infertility really does a number on you.

That sounds really difficult, and I hope things get easier soon.

I have not slept all night, so I went to the gym at 5am, then went on a bike ride to see a friend for breakfast. I've largely been keeping to my usual routine - I figure I may as well since I'm apparently not having the As Seen On TV experience (yet). Not gonna be thrilled when that other shoe finally drops, so better enjoy this while it lasts.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

JaneError posted:

Congrats! We found it a bit jarring to go from our fertility doc to a general OB/GYN, but here we are with a 2 month old now. We also had some scary times with the high-risk OB (i.e. MFM) and intensive monitoring but overall we now have a healthy baby! Wish you the best.

froglet posted:

That sounds really difficult, and I hope things get easier soon.

I have not slept all night, so I went to the gym at 5am, then went on a bike ride to see a friend for breakfast. I've largely been keeping to my usual routine - I figure I may as well since I'm apparently not having the As Seen On TV experience (yet). Not gonna be thrilled when that other shoe finally drops, so better enjoy this while it lasts.

I really did not appreciate how much the lack of sleep post-baby would gently caress with me. And it's even worse for my wife because of all the pumping.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Mandalay posted:

Congrats! We found it a bit jarring to go from our fertility doc to a general OB/GYN, but here we are with a 2 month old now. We also had some scary times with the high-risk OB (i.e. MFM) and intensive monitoring but overall we now have a healthy baby! Wish you the best.

I really did not appreciate how much the lack of sleep post-baby would gently caress with me. And it's even worse for my wife because of all the pumping.

Haha, good luck, but sounds like you've got a handle on things.

drat, the little bean didn't want to stick around. Oh well, maybe I'll see some of you around if there's a next time, goons! :wave:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

froglet posted:

drat, the little bean didn't want to stick around. Oh well, maybe I'll see some of you around if there's a next time, goons! :wave:

Sorry to hear that. Next time!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

froglet posted:

Sad to hear. Once we started opening up to our friends about the fertility journey, we found a surprising number of people had also gone through IVF/IUI/losses. They became our support network--I hope you also have a support network in friends or family.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

froglet posted:

I'm really sorry--hope you get some good news sooner rather than later!

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
well to connect with the thread title, I discovered my first (external, at least) hemorrhoid this morning :butt:

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Last pregnancy I had round ligament pain. This time so far none of that (I'm almost 29 weeks) but I am having a lot of pain/soreness in my groin/vulva/where my thigh and hamstring meet my groin. It's super annoying. Anyone else get pain there? My vulva also feels really swollen and sore. Blahhhhh third trimester is not looking great.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

When and how did your various animals recognize your pregnancy? The two elderly cats purr at my belly and won't walk on it and tried suckling on my elbow, wrist, shoulder but my parents' dogs are all I LOVE YOU JUST AS MUCH AS BEFORE WHICH IS INFINITY AMOUNT but dont treat me any different.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

At week 18, my 11-year-old cat is as ornery as ever. I think he might get a clue when we bring the beb home.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
None of my animals ever changed their behaviour. One of my cats would sit on top of my belly when I was in my third trimester because it was in the way of my legs but that was it.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Last week I had diarrhea. Now I haven’t pooped since then (about a week). I feel so bloated and like I’m going to pop. I’m taking miralax every day, walking, drinking water, coffee, just sitting on the toilet trying to relax. I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions welcome, I’m desperate. 30 weeks pregnant.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I was up half the night worrying about my 20 week anatomy scan. Turns out everything is fine. Everyone comments on how active the fetus is, which makes sense since both of their parents are hyperactive.

Trying to stay chill without my ADHD medication. I reached out to my pdoc to see if there's anything I can take because I'm getting in trouble at work for being so behind on my progress notes.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

boquiabierta posted:

Last week I had diarrhea. Now I haven’t pooped since then (about a week). I feel so bloated and like I’m going to pop. I’m taking miralax every day, walking, drinking water, coffee, just sitting on the toilet trying to relax. I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions welcome, I’m desperate. 30 weeks pregnant.

Desperate time call for desperate measures- does your local drugstore sell enemas?

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

boquiabierta posted:

I’m not as far along as you, but what worked for me is all of the above plus getting a “squatty potty” to change my position.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

WrenP-Complete posted:

I was up half the night worrying about my 20 week anatomy scan. Turns out everything is fine. Everyone comments on how active the fetus is, which makes sense since both of their parents are hyperactive.

Trying to stay chill without my ADHD medication. I reached out to my pdoc to see if there's anything I can take because I'm getting in trouble at work for being so behind on my progress notes.

Fwiw and obviously take the word of your pdoc and obgyn over an internet rando, but my psych said that at least with Adderall, based on the latest research it seems like the primary concern is an increased risk of hypertension or pre-e rather than danger to the fetus. I was actually diagnosed with ADHD while we were trying for #1 so I didn't actually start meds until after she was born and I was done breastfeeding, but we're starting to try for #2 and so my psych and I were talking about my best move, especially during the TTC phase.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm going on Wellbutrin starting tomorrow! My doctor was extremely encouraging and I am feeling more hopeful. Take your doc's advice of course but my doctor said Wellbutrin is the safest bet for me.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

My current pregnancy complaints (week 32):

-gestational diabetes, that I have basically diagnosed and managed on my own, though FINALLY tomorrow I'm meeting with a diabetes nurse
-gestational hypertension (systolic is usually normal, diastolic consistently around 100, gone to ER for rule out pre-e twice)
-tachycardia (consistently around 115ish)
-constipation and hemorrhoids (went about 10 days without pooping, now I've got glycerin suppositories for emergencies!)
-baseline anxiety and depression (have been on anafranil since first trimester which kept it under control until recently. just started Remeron too.)

I feel like my body is out of my control and even though I'm trying so so hard to eat well and take walks every day I can't do enough to be healthy for me and this baby. I'm so worried he's going to be born sick, huge, and unable to control his blood sugar.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

boquiabierta posted:

Last pregnancy I had round ligament pain. This time so far none of that (I'm almost 29 weeks) but I am having a lot of pain/soreness in my groin/vulva/where my thigh and hamstring meet my groin. It's super annoying. Anyone else get pain there? My vulva also feels really swollen and sore. Blahhhhh third trimester is not looking great.

Yes, I had some of that awful pain. I had to nope out of the last month of pregnancy due to preeclampsia and the pain went away right after birth. Along with the god awful bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome. Between those two ailments, I never want to be pregnant again.

But then I see a tiny baby. And I have to talk myself out of it. Remember the bad times... remember the bad times....

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is your quarterly reminder to just go ahead and order four bottles of infant Tylenol

You do not want to be driving across town at 4am to the only 24 hour pharmacy to buy the stuff, trust me

Babies seem to go through 1.5 bottles a month

Also: don't forget to switch to ibuprofen at 6 months

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe we're just super stingy with it but we don't go through that much, at least with #1. Definitely good to have on hand though. Also gas drops.

I guess I'll report back with #2 next year if this pregnancy sticks. (Also drat, people joke about priming the pump but it took us 15 months to even get a positive test and 18 for a viable pregnancy with #1, but this time I got pregnant literally the first cycle of trying.)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

How does one make a birth plan? Does anyone have any examples I could look at?

Is it something you do with healthcare professionals?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ours was like half a page handwritten on the back of a recycled sheet of printer paper, done at the hospital day of

c section or natural (or water birth or whatever)
emergency c section ok or no
prioritize life of mother vs child
pain killers preferred/no*
do not use these types of pain killers (if any)
emergency contact info (baby daddy, mother-to-be's mother+father) two phone numbers each, physical addresses
primary insurance carrier
known allergies
religious preferences (if any)
recessitation preferences (you might have terminal cancer or something? i dunno. in that case you would sign a DNR but that would be super rare)

these can be bullet points. have mother and baby daddy sign and date

*morphine and hydrocodine are amazing post partum and i think widely handed out while you're recovering in the hospital, my wife got a bottle of ~15 opiates of some sort, but there's alternatives if you know you'll have problems with opiates in the house (you, your spouse, your deadbeat brother in law)

We went over it with the doctor and they were like "yep not a problem"

If you get beyond a 12 point bullet list well done but I wouldn't stress out about it

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Ours was like half a page handwritten on the back of a recycled sheet of printer paper, done at the hospital day of

c section or natural (or water birth or whatever)
emergency c section ok or no
prioritize life of mother vs child
pain killers preferred/no*
do not use these types of pain killers (if any)
emergency contact info (baby daddy, mother-to-be's mother+father) two phone numbers each, physical addresses
primary insurance carrier
known allergies
religious preferences (if any)
recessitation preferences (you might have terminal cancer or something? i dunno. in that case you would sign a DNR but that would be super rare)

these can be bullet points. have mother and baby daddy sign and date

*morphine and hydrocodine are amazing post partum and i think widely handed out while you're recovering in the hospital, my wife got a bottle of ~15 opiates of some sort, but there's alternatives if you know you'll have problems with opiates in the house (you, your spouse, your deadbeat brother in law)

We went over it with the doctor and they were like "yep not a problem"

If you get beyond a 12 point bullet list well done but I wouldn't stress out about it
Thank you! That really helps. It sounded like a very formal thing when I first heard about it and you made it seem much more achievable.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

As a point of comparison, I didn’t really have a birth plan other than being decently informed about what different interventions were and generally talking some whatifs with my spouse and doc.

It may be worthwhile to talk with your doctor about what the hospital does ‘normally’ and go from there if there is anything you want to do/have done. Imo I think some people get overly focused on birth plans, but so many of the actual big choices are determined by the situation/potential outcome I think having a rigid plan can be psychologically harmful sometimes.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

BadSamaritan posted:

As a point of comparison, I didn’t really have a birth plan other than being decently informed about what different interventions were and generally talking some whatifs with my spouse and doc.

It may be worthwhile to talk with your doctor about what the hospital does ‘normally’ and go from there if there is anything you want to do/have done. Imo I think some people get overly focused on birth plans, but so many of the actual big choices are determined by the situation/potential outcome I think having a rigid plan can be psychologically harmful sometimes.

My midwife was very tickled when I said I decided to call mine "birth hopes" instead. Also she liked that it was half a page instead of the like, 3 page manifestos she sometimes gets.

And then pretty much none of it was useful anyways. :shrug: All that to say, don't stress about it!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, the teacher of my birth class described them as "wishes" rather than a plan because you have to be prepared for everything to go out the window. Also definitely ask what the usual is--a lot of what I focused on was also SOP at my hospital. Also ask if things like post birth pain options change based on type of delivery. I definitely didn't get opiates, just alternating ibuprofen and Tylenol, but I had a vaginal birth with forceps for my first. Idk if it would have been different with a c section or if I'd asked for something stronger but I was actually ok with what I had.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My midwife also hated birth plans. Too many idiots trying to stick with the script when baby's life was in danger.

The sum of my birth plans was epidurals are good, otherwise do whatever needed to get the baby out.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Our hospital had a form for common stuff that people have opinions on. Our birth plan mostly consisted of doing whatever we needed to come into the hospital with two people and leave with three.

Obviously you likely aren't delivering in my city but this is the form they had, just for reference. I found it pretty comprehensive.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I also remember being asked things like whether or not to give baby a bath right away, if I wanted delayed cord clamping, if I was going to try breastfeeding, if we were trying for cord blood collection, and if baby should get certain medications at birth (vitamin K and eye drops I think?)But I also had a midwife for my first so and I was researching the hell out of everything so it was pretty comprehensive. For my second and 3rd I basically just said “I want an epidural, and whatever else is default, we’ll go with that”

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

marchantia posted:

but this is the form they had, just for reference. I found it pretty comprehensive.

That's a pretty good form

The placenta option is neat. I got to see the placenta, it's pretty cool if you're into gross biology stuff. One side is smooth but the other is rough like your dad's 5 o'clock shadow, looked like a very veiny hamburger patty

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

I called my form "birth preferences" because I know that things do not go according to plan in labor. Mostly what I put was in line with the hospital's protocols anyway. I think maybe the only thing I wanted that wasn't necessarily default was delayed cord clamping. I don't think we even wound up bringing it to the hospital but it was helpful for me to think through.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

boquiabierta posted:

I don't think we even wound up bringing it to the hospital but it was helpful for me to think through.

I think this might be the most important part. You've sort of mentally walked through all the major scenarios and evaluated your options and hopefully discussed them with your partner, so that if something goes wrong you know what if any options are and what the sequence of events would be

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Hadlock posted:

I think this might be the most important part. You've sort of mentally walked through all the major scenarios and evaluated your options and hopefully discussed them with your partner, so that if something goes wrong you know what if any options are and what the sequence of events would be

100% agreed.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Mine was basically “no residents or nursing students.” I get that they need to learn, but with residents everything takes forever because they need to run it by a provider, and nursing students do assessments that also take forever. I had a resident for baby one, and it was by far the most painful cervical check I’ve experienced, like I was the first vagina he’d ever had his hand in.

Other than that, “birth wishes” is spot on. You can have an idea of what you’d like, but sometimes/ a lot of times, things don’t go the way you thought they would. Being flexible and open minded is a must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Intellectually I know I was this tired with #1 but man, this is going to be rough if I get a job I care about like I'm trying to.