Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Hope you registered that poo poo in the hour that you owned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Slugworth posted:

Hope you registered that poo poo in the hour that you owned it.

Oh no need for that, just bring it back to the store with the receipt and get refunded. "is there anything wrong with it" yeah it broke in 5 minutes.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It still sands so it's actually a dual function belt smoke machine. What a value!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had a Ryobi inflator where one of the buttons didn't work. I called up Ryobi and explained the issue and they said "ok cool, where should we ship a replacement to? Just drop the broken one off at a Home Depot or whatever to recycle it. Have a great day."

I think they asked for the serial number, but that was it. No receipt or anything. Super easy

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Oh no need for that, just bring it back to the store with the receipt and get refunded. "is there anything wrong with it" yeah it broke in 5 minutes.

Yeah, this is what happened. You could still smell it. It was clearly hosed.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Uncle Enzo posted:

Oh, I didn't really mean it, but Ryobi is known for screwing people on warranties if they didn't register.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can I cut through 4" concrete slab with a 9 inch grinder equipped w diamond blade?

E: more specifically, can I use it for light duty stuff, like cutting basement slab open for 16"x16" footing. ~$200 for something that can substitute for a concrete saw is a pretty good deal

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 2, 2022

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Can I cut through 4" concrete slab with a 9 inch grinder equipped w diamond blade?

E: more specifically, can I use it for light duty stuff, like cutting basement slab open for 16"x16" footing. ~$200 for something that can substitute for a concrete saw is a pretty good deal

I think the tool itself will limit your depth to less than 4" and deliberately burying a 9" grinder blade all the way to the hilt in a slit sounds like a recipe for disaster. Those things are like wild animals on a good day.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Tool Thread: Burying 9 Inches of Grindr Blade to the Hilt Like a Wild Animal

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

slurm posted:

I think the tool itself will limit your depth to less than 4" and deliberately burying a 9" grinder blade all the way to the hilt in a slit sounds like a recipe for disaster. Those things are like wild animals on a good day.

ya and there's no way to do it with a guard either. The danger doesn't dissuade me so much as the possibility that it wouldnt give sufficient depth of cut, i dont wanna drop $250 for grinder + blade (or ~$90 if i go to Harbor Freight) for something that doesnt work for intended purpose

I've been using a diamond blade in a small bosch grinder to make relief cuts in a sidewalk i'm breaking & removing, and that thing just zips right through it the concrete, leading me to wonder about larger blades/grinders

Soul Dentist posted:

Tool Thread: Burying 9 Inches of Grindr Blade to the Hilt Like a Wild Animal

:mmmhmm: i enjoyed their phrasing too

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
9" grinder without a guard is the "playing stupid games with your fingers and a table saw" of metalworking. I've met a bunch of dudes with scars and missing pieces from doing specifically that, the Navy guys just can't resist doing it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'd try and find someone who does concrete and see if they're interested in a little side work.

I have a halogen work light on a tripod, is there anyway to convert it to LED without spending real money? I was thinking I could hack apart some of those $15 5-6000lm garage lights and it wouldn't throw out so drat much heat.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Price out cheap LED floods first you might find something you can just bolt onto the tripod stand.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I have always scored and cut concrete with a circular saw when I didn't want to go rent the big boy. Why the f would you use a grinder? Seems like you're just inviting danger.

Edit: nm it's op

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

ya and there's no way to do it with a guard either. The danger doesn't dissuade me so much as the possibility that it wouldnt give sufficient depth of cut, i dont wanna drop $250 for grinder + blade (or ~$90 if i go to Harbor Freight) for something that doesnt work for intended purpose

I've been using a diamond blade in a small bosch grinder to make relief cuts in a sidewalk i'm breaking & removing, and that thing just zips right through it the concrete, leading me to wonder about larger blades/grinders

:mmmhmm: i enjoyed their phrasing too

Can't you rent a diamond concrete saw?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

This a million times. Yeah, it'll probably be a little pricey for a day of work but getting the tool for the job will make it take like no time.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Mr. Mambold posted:

I dunno man, surely there's a way to do it with a Dremel, right?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Slugworth posted:

I dunno man, surely there's a way to do it with a Dremel, right?

Using a strip of 1600 grit sandpaper to slowly grind away a 16x16" chunk of slab

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Chisel it by hand with a spoon

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lol as a jeweler there is an entire world of tools that only make a difference under a microscope. Just imagining somebody using rubber wheels and felt points to glacially erode concrete is hilarious at this point (I'm broken)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Use a feather and wedge as our forbearers did
https://youtu.be/5tjSwJmH1HI

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Use water, it was good enough for the grand canyon.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

canyoneer posted:

Use a feather and wedge as our forbearers did
https://youtu.be/5tjSwJmH1HI

Man, sometimes This Old House is just really good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Speaking of using the wrong tool, I am adding a fireplace hearth and needed to cut out the floor tile it would be sitting on so it sits on the subfloor.
So I cut my border with an angle grinder and diamond saw wheel, and then smash out the tiles with hammer and chisel for the next ~hour.

95% of the way through, I remembered that I have a borrowed SDS max rotary hammer with floor demo chisel. Could have saved me a lot of time

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Storage question. I keep losing my nut driver bits because literally no tool set comes with its own box or holder:

Any creative solutions for keeping all these bits in one place? I've been looking at magnetic trays but they are all designed for 12+ pieces Might use a coin purse. I just hate having them lying around loose in my tool chest. Also why the poo poo does every DeWalt "bit set" only come with one or two nut driver sizes and never the complete set.

At my previous workplace we had a big box in the workshop for Ryobi powertools that died an untimely death. It was a very full box. Just putting that out there.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 3, 2022

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

To make you buy the sets.

Buy a crap nut driver set and steal the little rubber holder from it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ABN-SAE-Nut-Driver-Set-Magnetic-Nut-Driver-Bit-Set-Nut-Driver-Set-5pc-1-4-1-2/213705239

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sounds like a fun 3d printing project to me! Make a holder exactly you to your specifications!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

canyoneer posted:

Speaking of using the wrong tool, I am adding a fireplace hearth and needed to cut out the floor tile it would be sitting on so it sits on the subfloor.
So I cut my border with an angle grinder and diamond saw wheel, and then smash out the tiles with hammer and chisel for the next ~hour.

95% of the way through, I remembered that I have a borrowed SDS max rotary hammer with floor demo chisel. Could have saved me a lot of time

Top daddery :dadjoke:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

any thoughts on the lenox all-in-one screwdrivers?

I think I want to just get the 6-1 version. I have no idea what the #2 and #3 square pieces are even used for. The other ones that aren't philips or flat look to be hex wrenches?

https://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/screwdrivers.aspx

also does anyone sell a hammer that has a rubber cap on it to make it a mallet? I have an old one from ikea but the rubber is finally falling apart.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The 9-1 instead of just having one shaft and two double side bits has two shafts and three double sided bits. The longer shaft has a larger and smaller hex drivers the small shaft is 1/4" on both ends for the two smaller double sided bits.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ah cool ty

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
You can just buy 100% rubber mallets for like $5 at most hardware stores, I have a couple and they're by far my most used hammering device, not the best at anything but with the exception of hitting actual nails good at most hammering tasks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

They are also fantastic for pounding meat flat.

No, not that way.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Making your own wooden mallet is a fun little project.

Just saying....

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Pounding meat with homegrown means has a certain je ne sais quoi that you can't get elsewhere.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

melon cat posted:

Storage question. I keep losing my nut driver bits because literally no tool set comes with its own box or holder:

Any creative solutions for keeping all these bits in one place? I've been looking at magnetic trays but they are all designed for 12+ pieces Might use a coin purse. I just hate having them lying around loose in my tool chest. Also why the poo poo does every DeWalt "bit set" only come with one or two nut driver sizes and never the complete set.

At my previous workplace we had a big box in the workshop for Ryobi powertools that died an untimely death. It was a very full box. Just putting that out there.

Someone asked a similar question about storing dumb little things and here's what I use for some cleaning crap. Seems like it would work for those:

Cyrano4747 posted:

These guys:

Not as nice as Kupa’s suggestion but also the kind of poo poo you can buy right now for iirc something like $5.

That's home depot's model if the color scheme doesn't make it obvious. I assume Lowe's has some similar cheap house brand stuff.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Halder hammer is what you want.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hmmm i'm surprised no one makes more of a mallet where one side is rubber, and the other side is metal, so it can be used for both tasks

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Guyver posted:

To make you buy the sets.

Buy a crap nut driver set and steal the little rubber holder from it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ABN-SAE-Nut-Driver-Set-Magnetic-Nut-Driver-Bit-Set-Nut-Driver-Set-5pc-1-4-1-2/213705239

I like it. I do need to be able to bring it around while keeping a small footprint so this is the route I am going

Cyrano4747 posted:

Someone asked a similar question about storing dumb little things and here's what I use for some cleaning crap. Seems like it would work for those:
I think this is great for a home garage but less so for my work toolchest which already has too much stuff cluttered in and around it.

Just Winging It posted:

Pounding meat with homegrown means has a certain je ne sais quoi that you can't get elsewhere.

New thread title right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I'm not a tool person but is Ryobi's QC known to be insanely trash-tier? I bought their base drill + battery combo recently to do extremely occasional house stuff and the charger only worked intermittently right out of the box. At the same time I got their cheapest little cordless lawnmower to do our tiny patch of grass and the second time I used it the battery just completely died and stopped even showing state of charge lights. The place I got it from just gave me a new battery, but I didn't expect to have so many crib-death issues, you'd expect them to crap out a day after the warranty ends at least.