Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #4

https://www.17lands.com/draft/1ee1121c04e24577b1db09ccd58d0e20

I uh... think this is a deck lol? I found it pretty tricky to navigate so I'm sure there's something super obvious I missed. I basically remember the post that said Tatyova was good and since I already had a Llanowar Loamspeaker I thought "hey that works", and that point I started picking up things that were just one pip extra color, and snowballed into "I guess I need full domain for this." I think there should be enough fixing for this to work? The extra RG lands were a waste since I just need it for Rith lol. The other big choice was P3P1 which had Phyrexian Missionary and Liliana of the Veil, Lili had two black pips and the tier lists were rating Missionary higher regardless so I went with the latter

Edit: that basic mountain is now a RG land. 7 plains (8 white sources total) / 1 island (i feel like I need this because Scout the Wilderness only gets basic lands) / 5 forest (8 green sources total)

3-3. The two games where I drew Tatyova felt great, one of the other wins was the opponent being mana screwed. Everything else, I got flooded and died. Opps seemed to have endless stacks of removal. Oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #5

https://www.17lands.com/draft/720f13cb19564e918ca9eb88525e2152
Opening a Lightning Strike in a pack without anything else very good, and then an Electrostatic Infantry pushed me in the spells direction. Blue was there well enough, but after initial powerful red cards there wasn't much else, I didn't get the fixing early and it dried up, and Raff, Weatherlight Captain wheeling tempted me to consider White.

After looking at this, the white picks I got don't seem to jive very well? I don't think Wingmantle Chaplain will work with just two Defenders... I also got two Micromancers and only got two 1-mv spells so I guess one of those wizards is staying home. Theoretically I could be Azorius with a red splace

wei
Jul 27, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #5

https://www.17lands.com/draft/720f13cb19564e918ca9eb88525e2152
Opening a Lightning Strike in a pack without anything else very good, and then an Electrostatic Infantry pushed me in the spells direction. Blue was there well enough, but after initial powerful red cards there wasn't much else, I didn't get the fixing early and it dried up, and Raff, Weatherlight Captain wheeling tempted me to consider White.

After looking at this, the white picks I got don't seem to jive very well? I don't think Wingmantle Chaplain will work with just two Defenders... I also got two Micromancers and only got two 1-mv spells so I guess one of those wizards is staying home. Theoretically I could be Azorius with a red splace

I would have mostly done the same, but wouldn't have specced on white in pack 2 especially after a P2P5 Balmor. There was P2P1 Impulse > Chaplain, P2P6 Impede Momentum > Captain's Call, and P2P11 Tolarian Terror is blue's best common imo over Artillery Blast. The way the draft is going it's unlikely you pivot into defenders.

UR looks better to me I think, but it's only day 2 so I'm not super confident. Raff isn't worth splashing because UR tends to be light on the board. I think you're possibly underrating Essence Scatter and Tolarian Terror which are auto-includes for me (looking at your 2nd deck on 17lands).

https://sealeddeck.tech/E1lnMUL5yx UR
https://sealeddeck.tech/l8DEDVLfK0 UW (not splashing because you have no fixing)

wei fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 3, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Interesting, yeah that makes a lot of sense and I can see the UR version being a lot cleaner.

Bumping up the estimation of counterspells makes sense here, especially when I can keep mana efficiency with Impulse I think.

Also I guess 16 lands makes more sense? I have felt like I have been flooding in previous decks but I didn't want to let that influence me here. I think I defaulted to 17 because of a seemingly beefy top-end but of course the Tolarian Terror(s) should cost like 4 in reality.

I lost the last game of my last draft by someone just dinking me with Haunting Figment + a cantrip every turn and I couldn't do anything about it lol, let's see if that card works here

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Yeah the fragments are dorky but they can be real threats sometimes. I would run 17 lands usually but with 2 cantrips and a bunch of card selection 16 should be fine. Terrors get really cheap with said cantrips and Impulses and getting them to cost less than 3 has happened more than I've expected.

Counterspells are good with Impulse yes, and Essence Scatter is really strong against etb kicker creatures or just as to counter their 2 drop while you build up to cheaper Terrors. Less thrilled with Negate and the Cancel variant but they should play fine with the other things you have going.

Edit: mana base should def be 9u/7r or even 10/6

wei fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 3, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

3-3. blergh. A number of misplays (lol using timely interference when my only attacker was a flier) and also felt mana screwed a bunch but that's probably just variance I guess.

UB seems incredibly powerful, or maybe it's just more memorable to me because this is the second draft in a row I've been knocked out by someone grinding me into the dust with Phyrexian Ragers and Haunting Figments while holding 10 kill spells

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Finally got around to my first draft, and I think I might have peaked too early

7-2 in silver/gold.

Here's the draft https://www.17lands.com/draft/196b0330f48e4adf87d77fc3933e17c7, p2p3 should have been Phyrexian Emissary.

If you want to see something really funny, look at my first loss under Details.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

four chaplains? wtf????

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq4T44EvPvo

ugh I wish I was smart enough to do something like this in a reasonable amount of time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I took a break, had some dinner, cracked open a beer, and did the draft I'll fire off tomorrow lol

Event #6

https://www.17lands.com/draft/b7fadddf227045829c3d129089cb79be

Maybe I was influenced by my most recent comment about UB decks but I ended up building one. I started with some W cards but when I saw what I was getting I didn't want to get stuck between lanes like I felt I did in the previous drafts.

The deck's gameplan is card advantage -- drawing cards while making the opponent discard, potent removal to clear out threats and then get in with Tolarian Terrors/fliers/unblockables. It looks pretty clean to me, but I still need to make two cuts lol. The lowest-quality cards might be some of the creatures but I also just need bodies? Are the sagas too finicky? They seem powerful.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Got to play some draft. It's been a while for me - think the last time was Midnight Hunt. Have a ton of gems kicking around thanks to Strixhaven though, so I've got drafts to burn.

It's going all right so far. Don't know if greeding this hard is going to cut it when people start figuring out how to draft aggro in this set though. This deck has a lot of power but one of the two losses was someone just going low with unremarkable grizzly bears and pump spells.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Finally got around to my first draft, and I think I might have peaked too early

7-2 in silver/gold.

Here's the draft https://www.17lands.com/draft/196b0330f48e4adf87d77fc3933e17c7, p2p3 should have been Phyrexian Emissary.

If you want to see something really funny, look at my first loss under Details.

what in gods name

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Someone actually put a decent amount of thought into these yargle day decks and it's actually kinda fun lol

Or, the red one is, anyway.

Welp second sealed went 0/3 with a solid red white aggro deck versus... 3 mardu aggro decks, on the draw twice, drew at least one heroic charge in every match and never had a chance to play one for any kind of value (or indeed at all I don't think), every opponent just had removal absolutely coming out their ears :( Feels bad. Nearly stabilised off Danitha with Hammerhand in the last one, but OP drew the red 'phase a creature and blow up the board' card.

Lmao day 2 and I'm already out of currency :(

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 3, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what a stupid loving game lol

just haymakering each other with Meria's Outriders for 3 turns straight

edit: just got a bunch of random walls on the field, and they've got some huge hitters that have stymied all my assaults.

but then, Walking Bulwark comes in to turn all those walls into 4/4's and 6/6's

I really love how they've "fixed" walls with this set. like I don't think they're constructed playable or anything, but they're such fascinating utility pieces in draft now.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 3, 2022

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
People seem to be loving this set so far, moving and renovating so probably can't play for 2 weeks :sad:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MikeCrotch posted:

People seem to be loving this set so far, moving and renovating so probably can't play for 2 weeks :sad:
it's fun as hell and the ability to go 4-5 colors pretty consistently makes for some ridiculous jank, but not in a bad way like in some recent sets(new capenna especially)

this might be one of the most grueling matches I've ever had, and I actually hit screenshot right as they conceded on the last of about 12 make-or-break turns where both of us were on the verge of death with a single wrong choice. clockwork drawbridge is for sure an expensive tapper but BOY is it useful in this limited. I got mana screwed initially, and they built up a huge board, which I then wiped with a last-ditch Drag To The Bottom I grabbed with a desperate Karn distraction(his minus ability is pretty decent on a stalled board, but even throwing him under the bus let me find the sweeper in time). I was at 3 health for like 7 turns, any lightning strikes would end it, but I slowly clawed my way back by chumping and saccing with Gibbering Barricades and throwing sacrificial flying lands in the way of their big green creatures and gryphons, and plinked away at them with occasional swings with weenies. After forgetting magnigoth sentry has reach and mashing my Tura Kennerud, Skyknight right into it ineffectually, I figured I was toast, especially after they dropped the black phyrexian defiler and forced me into desperate blocks to stop the menacers, but they made an error and I was able to kill it off by throwing Tatyova in front of it with one of her lands to prevent it from giving more things menace. I would soon deck myself when I drew Wingmantle Chaplain, giving me enough chumpers to stop their big green stompy fellas while I swung in with a FOUR TIMES RESURRECTED Shalai's Acolyte(first with the phyrexian missionary, then two Urborg Repossessions to get the missionary back and then the acolyte with it)

this was exactly the sort of thing that makes me love magic, good lord what a game, took like 40 minutes but what a ride, I'm shocked I've gotten 3 wins with this deck already considering almost all my rares were TRASH(a painland, two of that 1RG 3/3 legend, Karn) but the defender strategy is paying ridiculous dividends especially with the three recursion cards I pulled so I can get back the Wingmantle Chaplain or Walking Bulwark.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

This set is making me feel like I’ve gone to a science contest full of Nobel Prize winners and entered a potato clock that doesn’t work; everyone else’s decks do clever synergistic things while mine just flood out and lose. It’s pretty great, but also it is going to bankrupt me

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

vegetables posted:

This set is making me feel like I’ve gone to a science contest full of Nobel Prize winners and entered a potato clock that doesn’t work; everyone else’s decks do clever synergistic things while mine just flood out and lose. It’s pretty great, but also it is going to bankrupt me
post the decks

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

post the decks

I haven’t saved any of them; they were mostly bad aggro decks that didn’t have any way to mitigate flooding. I am slowly realising that mitigating flooding is a very important part of winning quickly, after getting thrashed a great many times

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Captain Invictus posted:

it's fun as hell and the ability to go 4-5 colors pretty consistently makes for some ridiculous jank, but not in a bad way like in some recent sets(new capenna especially)

this might be one of the most grueling matches I've ever had, and I actually hit screenshot right as they conceded on the last of about 12 make-or-break turns where both of us were on the verge of death with a single wrong choice. clockwork drawbridge is for sure an expensive tapper but BOY is it useful in this limited. I got mana screwed initially, and they built up a huge board, which I then wiped with a last-ditch Drag To The Bottom I grabbed with a desperate Karn distraction(his minus ability is pretty decent on a stalled board, but even throwing him under the bus let me find the sweeper in time). I was at 3 health for like 7 turns, any lightning strikes would end it, but I slowly clawed my way back by chumping and saccing with Gibbering Barricades and throwing sacrificial flying lands in the way of their big green creatures and gryphons, and plinked away at them with occasional swings with weenies. After forgetting magnigoth sentry has reach and mashing my Tura Kennerud, Skyknight right into it ineffectually, I figured I was toast, especially after they dropped the black phyrexian defiler and forced me into desperate blocks to stop the menacers, but they made an error and I was able to kill it off by throwing Tatyova in front of it with one of her lands to prevent it from giving more things menace. I would soon deck myself when I drew Wingmantle Chaplain, giving me enough chumpers to stop their big green stompy fellas while I swung in with a FOUR TIMES RESURRECTED Shalai's Acolyte(first with the phyrexian missionary, then two Urborg Repossessions to get the missionary back and then the acolyte with it)

this was exactly the sort of thing that makes me love magic, good lord what a game, took like 40 minutes but what a ride, I'm shocked I've gotten 3 wins with this deck already considering almost all my rares were TRASH(a painland, two of that 1RG 3/3 legend, Karn) but the defender strategy is paying ridiculous dividends especially with the three recursion cards I pulled so I can get back the Wingmantle Chaplain or Walking Bulwark.

Hell yeah

I'm living the loving dream here

Despite several major mistakes on my part in the midgame, a fumble in my opponent's attack allowed me to kill his pumped up black knight. This allowed me to mill them to death. Loving this

edit:i'm now at 3-0 this is still great

Flowers For Algeria fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 3, 2022

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

currently 5-0 with this sealed deck. was initially disappointed in my pool because my rares made me want to go base green with visionary and tatyova, but the support just didn't look like it was there. then i realized how many sick orzhov uncommons i had and built that instead

white has a backbreaking amount of removal. it feels kinda weird to be trying to sac/recur/attrition out my opponent at the same time aron wants me to go wide, but it's been working. mostly win in the air after pumping the team once and enlisting with skyknight

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've been goofing with Kaya + Rabble Rousing and when it goes off one of two things happen, my opponents scoop or I'm about to eat a meathook.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Got a second chance at sealed due to small bag during what would have likely been my third loss. I got a bunch of good stuff but having a hard time making cuts. I'm thinking GWB splashing for gold cards: https://sealeddeck.tech/9aELX9f6ao

I have 5 legendaries I could run, is there a point where that makes Hero's Heirloom worth running?

Levin fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 3, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

^ ^ ^ I think that this format can have some board stalls, and having equipment as a way to punch through is good enough. Getting the trinket text with legendaries is a bonus, and 6 legends seems worth it to me ^ ^ ^

vegetables posted:

If you want meaningful feedback and assistance, please get a draft tracker like from 17lands.com.

We're all trying to figure out what is working and what isn't, and if you're going to help us find out what isn't working that's valuable too :v:

(I have gone 4-3, and 2-1 bo3, so my results are pretty poo poo too right now.)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I cut a land and the second Phyrexian Espionage. Early days yet... but this seems to hum

Rona pinging for 5-6 a game, 5/5s for 2, yeah I'll take that.

I fired off both sagas in the first game and they did some good work. Getting a hang of actually using Read Ahead -- I started Zhalfir on 2 so I protected Rona, they had one turn to scramble, and then the nuke went off plus I could immediately play a 5/5 on a board full of 2/2s. Even though they had more creatures I still felt ahead, also making them all tokens turned unkicked Rona's Vortex and Tolarian Geyser into pure removal spells. With the Braids Saga I didn't need them to discard so I started on 2, paying 2B for Regrowth, kill a token was decent enough for a card

Edit: well spoke too soon of course, lol.. Game 3, selesnya tokens get bigger from zhalfir and they just overran me on 4 anyway lol

Game 4 was a real tester, managed to clinch things out by shuffling instants around and chaining them with impulse for final pings, I was prepared to Zhalfir but realized I could win without giving them another turn, I finally read Vohar's text and got how the two parts synergized lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 3, 2022

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

kaaj posted:

8 wins, a bunch of looses and I still didn't finish that quest with a token generating deck I'm playing:

Play one of the precons with removal, that's what I do and usually can finish that one in 5-6 games.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
this formats fuckin weird, I went 1-3, 3-3, 0-3 my first three drafts and they were some combination of UR, BR, or BG and I just fizzled out

the next draft I said gently caress it let's try this domain nonsense and I'm 6-1 with a silly WUBG pile that uses the uncommon simic flyer, 10 defender creatures (2x blight pile) and a wingmantle chaplain. walking bulwark is also great, swinging for 3 on turn 2 is pretty hard to deal with and it enables all the other defenders in the deck. I enjoyed watching people mouse over blight pile when it was dinging for 5

4+ colors may be the way to go??? Scooping lands early to enable seems critical

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 3, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Levin posted:

Got a second chance at sealed due to small bag during what would have likely been my third loss. I got a bunch of good stuff but having a hard time making cuts. I'm thinking GWB splashing for gold cards: https://sealeddeck.tech/9aELX9f6ao

I have I 6 legendaries I could run, is there a point where that makes Hero's Heirloom worth running?

Hero's heirloom is the sword that extra buffs legendaries, right? It's quite good, especially if you can drop a legendary and then equip it for the haste and swing in right away. Definitely won a few games with it, and in a pinch a 1/1 token becoming a 3/2 can help as well. During a board stall where I had a phyrexian missionary and a bird token, I would equip the bird, swing in for 3, then put it on the missionary to make a 4/4 lifelinker to dissuade attacks. It helped long enough for me to draw something to break the stall. It's a solid card in sealed.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
My opponent just obliterated themselves attacking with Raffine and a bunch of other minions, totally forgetting that I have Sheoldred on board. I love that card.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

4-3. Last beat felt really bad lol, for my card advantage gameplan I was somehow always down 3 cards against Simic and I was too pinched to use Zhalfir in a productive way, it was so telegraphed they just played around it and had a bunch of beefers I couldn't do anything about lmao

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

7-1 with this draft:

I opened King Darien, wanted to kind of force green/white but wasn't quite as open as I would like. I was getting late pick Phyrexian Warhorse which seemed great with the Darien and Queen I already had. I wheeled plaza of heroes which was amazing for mana, and in pack 3 I opened Rith and decided to spend the rest of that pack picking any duals with red so I could cast it. It worked much better than I thought it would. Whenever I got Zar down it was game over without a response. One game an opponent played Phasing Zhalfir straight to number 3. I used Plaza to protect Zar, then my zombies were all bigger than theirs and it was completely game over. I played against an amazing defender deck that was really good. I had to use citizen's arrest to prevent losing to the miller, and they had 10 1/1 birds in play. Unfortunately those birds had to chump block Rith/Rith tokens and I was able to get so much air superiority they gave up. Without Rith I would have 100% lost that game to all those birds.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That SaffronOlive Dragons deck looks so insanely dope but requires like 30 Mythics, I’ll never get those all together before rotation!

@Time, finally built your Mono-U Affinity list for Historic and it’s maybe the most busted deck I’ve ever played on Arena, so many insane openers. I haven’t opened my 4th RealY Chip yet so I jammed a Vedalken Archmage in that slot and have won every game I’ve ever untapped with it and sometimes even the same turn I play it. Ever tested it? Similar mana investment to chippy, not even sure I’m gonna cut it at this point.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bust Rodd posted:

That SaffronOlive Dragons deck looks so insanely dope but requires like 30 Mythics, I’ll never get those all together before rotation!

@Time, finally built your Mono-U Affinity list for Historic and it’s maybe the most busted deck I’ve ever played on Arena, so many insane openers. I haven’t opened my 4th RealY Chip yet so I jammed a Vedalken Archmage in that slot and have won every game I’ve ever untapped with it and sometimes even the same turn I play it. Ever tested it? Similar mana investment to chippy, not even sure I’m gonna cut it at this point.

Hello bust rodd. This is your family speaking. We would really appreciate if you would give us a call back. Thanks

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

Hello bust rodd. This is your family speaking. We would really appreciate if you would give us a call back. Thanks

Season 4 of True Detective getting real weird with it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
fridge

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

(I have gone 4-3, and 2-1 bo3, so my results are pretty poo poo too right now.)

if you have a positive wr you're allowed to complain. I'm kicking you out of the loser's corner, go sit at the big kid's table

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #7

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c68c3e27ce3445808504ef9d73f1bb87

Opened Balmor in a pack with a weak rare so UR spells it is again lol. I guess I could have taken Cut Down to stay more open.

Opened a Grixis mythic pack 3 and I lucked out having picked an RB dual land earlier just in case. I thought the archetype wasn't fully there by pack 3 and was wondering whether I would have to play some of the speculative white card or red lowtier filler... but then I got passed Lightning Strikes on 2, 6(!?) and 9(?!?!?!?!) and Electrostatic Infantry on 4 and literal last pick lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 3, 2022

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Honestly at least in limited Shittier Green Gifts Ungiven seems to be less bad than people were saying. "Get the third and fourth best creature in your deck" is perfectly fine and if you get lucky they might misjudge your position.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

reignonyourparade posted:

Honestly at least in limited Shittier Green Gifts Ungiven seems to be less bad than people were saying. "Get the third and fourth best creature in your deck" is perfectly fine and if you get lucky they might misjudge your position.

the thing with a card being a worse version of gifts ungiven is that gifts ungiven is a very very good card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Someone actually put a decent amount of thought into these yargle day decks and it's actually kinda fun lol

Or, the red one is, anyway.

As much as I dislike some of the events like momir, this is just the right level of weird for me to enjoy it a lot.