Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Turns out "out-of-date pro-nuclear" sources were underestimating how important building a reliable nuclear energy grid would be to not loving up the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I think this may have been a reference to or a memory of stories cropping up last year wherein Germany had allegedly been trying to leverage the WTO to get access to southeast Asian old growth forests, with local communities raising the middle finger and turning their backs. Just a guess.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 28, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It was my cynical take at how it's likely to pan out if firewood demand in Germany spikes from this energy disaster and they suddenly feel this need to pull in firewood from all over the world.

As a firewood user in Finland I sure hope the germans don't take to firewood and instead do sometihng else, burn gas, live in darkness, whatever. Because whenever the german does something, he ruins it for someone else near him.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

His Divine Shadow posted:

It was my cynical take at how it's likely to pan out if firewood demand in Germany spikes from this energy disaster and they suddenly feel this need to pull in firewood from all over the world.

As a firewood user in Finland I sure hope the germans don't take to firewood and instead do sometihng else, burn gas, live in darkness, whatever. Because whenever the german does something, he ruins it for someone else near him.

What did Germans ever do to you? Heck, roughly 5% of “Germans” are of Turkish descent, and without them you wouldn’t have enough döner shops — invented as we know it in Germany by Turkish Germans, not in Turkey — in Helsinki to make multiple top 10 lists of them. To me, this indicates a significant improvement to your life by living close to Germany. This is anti-German discrimination.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well the Energiewende for one. And the whole austerity thing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

they turned me into a newt

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I visited my parents today and they said they're prepared for a few years now

They recommended me to buy firewood now because soon those germans are probably gonna hoover it all up across europe.

Just personal observation but people in real life and online are quite often complaining about the germans now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Just personal observation but people in real life and online are quite often complaining about the germans now.

Time is a flat circle.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hi goons. Are there any cool YouTube videos/lectures that you’d recommend on nuclear SMRs or anything else in that zone? I find it pretty interesting and would like some stuff to listen to while walking.

If there’s some other hot tech youd like to recommend videos on I’d love to hear them too.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I dunno which ones I'd recommend, the main issue you'll find is they're very "popular mechanics" and aren't particularly for a more informed audience so almost all of them are click baity and are very repetitive with regards to various basic explanations and very slight on actual new news for example.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

I thought this one was really well done, even if it is of course super biased because its made by the company about their product:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cc1j-MbVVA

similarly from the horses mouth, this is the nuscale reactor that just got federal approval a few months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU-IlqiP4sU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I visited my parents today and they said they're prepared for a few years now

They recommended me to buy firewood now because soon those germans are probably gonna hoover it all up across europe.

If this is actually your parents they need to get that stuff stacked instead of just a giant pile

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Diablo Canyon is staying open.

There was one vote against in the Senate.

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/lawmakers-keep-Diablo-Canyon-open-17413258.php

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

mastershakeman posted:

If this is actually your parents they need to get that stuff stacked instead of just a giant pile

:same:

I spent *years* of my young life forced to stack firewood, either at my parents or at an inn I worked as a dishwasher at, if I had to do it they have to do it too!!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Phanatic posted:

Diablo Canyon is staying open.

There was one vote against in the Senate.

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/lawmakers-keep-Diablo-Canyon-open-17413258.php

I wish they could repair SONGS

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hi, I am new to the thread and 300 pages is a lot. I am learning about what's in the OP, and saw it was last edited in 2012. Happy 10 years OP who is still posting forums user Bucky Fullminster

We need an update! :)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

mastershakeman posted:

It's not the best I know. But the wood was already dry when it got tossed in. The worst thing about piles is that you tend to have a core of old wood that never gets used up as it keeps getting filled over.

edit, here's my firewood storage, this was from my own trees, mostly pine and fir:

On wednesay I bought another two cubic meters of primo birch firewood just in case, currently building some improvised firewood storage to get it up and off the ground so it'll keep. 1m3 of birch firewood here is 50€ right now, used to be 40€.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 2, 2022

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

MightyBigMinus posted:

I thought this one was really well done, even if it is of course super biased because its made by the company about their product:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cc1j-MbVVA

similarly from the horses mouth, this is the nuscale reactor that just got federal approval a few months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU-IlqiP4sU

Even though the first one includes a lot of things I am familiar with (digital twin, measured vs assumed valve positions, fail-to-opened/closed valves) etc there was still a lot of buzzword feel about this. Very interesting though. If it was available to buy for a somewhat sensible price ($3k/MW <25 c / KWhr), I could motivate ordering probably about 30 of them to replace HFO reciprocating generators. I guess they would have to be shipped offsite to be refueled but hence why it is containerized.

I assume for the second that the reactor is long and thin to allow for road transport as a modular unit? To be stood up by crane at the site.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Europe better hope for a mild winter.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/02/energy/nord-stream-1-pipeline-turned-off/index.html

Good thing they've been closing down their reactors, nuclear power is too expensive.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A random comment I read elsewhere on the topic of renewables and storage feasbility.

quote:

In today's situation, it is not completely useless to have battery storage to parry rapid swings.

Same as for those who have a habit of shooting themselves in the feet, it is also not useless to stock up on bandages at home.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Clarste posted:

If you go back, the basic point is that nuclear is bad and anyone who says otherwise is part of a grand conspiracy to kill renewables, especially solar. That's the argument being made.

No, there exists no such conspiracy. I never claimed that. What I am referring to is a popular belief in this thread about why in recent history the US has not been rapidly building out nuclear power plants. It couldn't be that nuclear electricity technology has big drawbacks, no, instead nuclear power is just TOO GOOD a technology, and the powers that be in the United States (which include random small-time environmentalist groups, lol) have conspired against it.

The fact that the posters in this thread are ideologically committed to nuclear electricity and that there exists pro-nuclear propaganda is no conspiracy. History has shown that the United States government and American energy companies aren’t really following the advice of the posters and sources in this thread.

QuarkJets posted:

A nuclear bomb works by smashing two clumps of material together to create a big explosion. Not a lot is quantum mechanical about that sentence so I guess you'd argue that nuclear fission is a classical physics process.

The explanation I provided for transistor action is not much of an oversimplification at all. It is a 100% accurate description of transistor action for almost any type of transistor. There is one hidden detail. The existence of the potential barrier inside of the transistor is predicated on there being an energy gap in the electronic levels of the semiconductor and the position of the Fermi level inside of the semi-conductor being in the middle of the energy gap. It is hard to explain how this could happen without invoking the wave nature of electrons.

However, if you take the existence of the energy gap on faith, and you may as well, since I have been told that the condensed matter theorists cannot very accurately predict from first principles things like: what crystallographic arrangement will the atoms in the crystal prefer to be in, what is the magnitude of the energy gap, is the energy gap direct or indirect, etc, then I'd say that quantum mechanics doesn't really dominate the physics of transistors.

Compare this with something like classical electromagnetism. People numerically solving Maxwell's equations from first principles works very well and often are able to make predictions which are hard to come by through any other method, and people use the results of these calculations to drive research and development all of the time. First principles EM modeling can be a powerful tool.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 4, 2022

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

silence_kit posted:

No, there exists no such conspiracy. I never claimed that. What I am referring to is a popular belief in this thread about why in recent history the US has not been rapidly building out nuclear power plants. It couldn't be that nuclear electricity technology has big drawbacks, no, instead nuclear power is just TOO GOOD a technology, and the powers that be in the United States (which include random small-time environmentalist groups, lol) have conspired against it.

The fact that the posters in this thread are ideologically committed to nuclear electricity and that there exists pro-nuclear propaganda is no conspiracy. History has shown that the United States government and American energy companies aren’t really following the advice of the posters and sources in this thread.

The explanation I provided for transistor action is not much of an oversimplification at all. It is a 100% accurate description of transistor action for almost any type of transistor. There is one hidden detail. The existence of the potential barrier inside of the transistor is predicated on there being an energy gap in the electronic levels of the semiconductor and the position of the Fermi level inside of the semi-conductor being in the middle of the energy gap. It is hard to explain how this could happen without invoking the wave nature of electrons.

However, if you take the existence of the energy gap on faith, and you may as well, since I have been told that the condensed matter theorists cannot very accurately predict from first principles things like: what crystallographic arrangement will the atoms in the crystal prefer to be in, what is the magnitude of the energy gap, is the energy gap direct or indirect, etc, then I'd say that quantum mechanics doesn't really dominate the physics of transistors.

Compare this with something like classical electromagnetism. People numerically solving Maxwell's equations from first principles works very well and often are able to make predictions which are hard to come by through any other method, and people use the results of these calculations to drive research and development all of the time. First principles EM modeling can be a powerful tool.

Can you show us on the doll where quantum mechanics hurt you?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Phanatic posted:

Europe better hope for a mild winter.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/02/energy/nord-stream-1-pipeline-turned-off/index.html

Good thing they've been closing down their reactors, nuclear power is too expensive.

France is looking to reopen its closed down reactors:
https://www.france24.com/en/france/20220902-france-to-restart-all-nuclear-reactors-by-winter-amid-energy-crunch
Issued on: 02/09/2022

At the moment, 32 of France's 56 nuclear reactors, all operated by EDF, are shut down for usual maintenance and, in some cases, to repair corrosion problems.

“There’s a schedule that provides that starting from October, each week, a new (nuclear) plant is operational again,” Pannier-Runacher said.

Germany is hopefully no longer reliant on nordstream1for gas. The winter stores are full and Liquid Natural Gas ports are being built.
https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy/news/german-government-announces-fifth-floating-lng-terminal/
Sep 2, 2022

Berlin has arranged for a fifth floating liquified natural gas (LNG) terminal in order to increase the amount of LNG the country is able to import, which may be a boon to the country’s landlocked neighbours.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 4, 2022

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

RBA-Wintrow posted:

France is looking to reopen its closed down reactors:
https://www.france24.com/en/france/20220902-france-to-restart-all-nuclear-reactors-by-winter-amid-energy-crunch
Issued on: 02/09/2022

At the moment, 32 of France's 56 nuclear reactors, all operated by EDF, are shut down for usual maintenance and, in some cases, to repair corrosion problems.

“There’s a schedule that provides that starting from October, each week, a new (nuclear) plant is operational again,” Pannier-Runacher said.

Germany is hopefully no longer reliant on nordstream1for gas. The winter stores are full and Liquid Natural Gas ports are being built.
https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy/news/german-government-announces-fifth-floating-lng-terminal/
Sep 2, 2022

Berlin has arranged for a fifth floating liquified natural gas (LNG) terminal in order to increase the amount of LNG the country is able to import, which may be a boon to the country’s landlocked neighbours.

The Danish Tyra gas field is down for maintenance but will reopen in 2023. Usually Danish natgas exports cover about 7% of German consumption but Denmark is currently importing from Germany. Combined with the reduction in French nuclear generation it's just an inconvenient time to transition away from Russian gas.

Countries around the Baltic Sea (Russia excepted) recently held the Baltic Sea Energy Security Summit and agreed to septuple offshore wind to 20 GW by 2030 and in May North Sea countries similarly agreed to expand North Sea offshore wind tenfold to 150 GW by 2050.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Your post boils down to "quantum mechanics is necessary to describe transistor physics". I don't see why you're still posting like this, by your own admission your classical explanation has a huge hole that is only plugged by quantum mechanics.

The "hidden detail" you refer to may as well be alluding to the "hidden variable" theories of the early 20th century, it's very funny

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Your post boils down to "quantum mechanics is necessary to describe transistor physics". I don't see why you're still posting like this, by your own admission your classical explanation has a huge hole that is only plugged by quantum mechanics.

The "hidden detail" you refer to may as well be alluding to the "hidden variable" theories of the early 20th century, it's very funny

Not really. I still wouldn't call a transistor a quantum device. A lot of the phenomena people associate with quantum mechanics isn't really present or isn't very important in transistor devices. The fact that you need quantum mechanics to explain the energy levels in a semiconductor doesn't make a transistor a quantum device, especially since my understanding is that they can't even predict the energy levels in a semiconductor very accurately anyway using the pure theory.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

silence you started out wholly correct and have now been successfully trolled into a multi page derail for like a week

just put the three dumbest assholes on ignore and drop it

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I’m not getting trolled. I want to argue about this. It does have a very small relation to the thread topic.

On the original, more thread relevant topic though, thank you for recognizing that. Yeah, due to the great cost reduction in wind and solar electricity, the energy landscape has changed since the beginning of this thread 10 years ago and it is important to recognize that.

This and what the natural gas industry is doing might be the biggest developments in energy technology over the last 10 years, but strangely, nuclear power and the oddball technologically irrelevant speculative versions of nuclear power almost exclusively occupy this thread's attention.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 5, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Just start a new thread to debate and discuss QP in solar panels. No one here gives a poo poo.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The landscape hasn't actually changed all that much. Gas is still putting out horrific pollution we can't afford any more of and solar still can't get Toronto through a winter.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

well ok then i was giving you too much credit, please *also* stop the derail.

cat botherer posted:

Just start a new thread to debate and discuss QP in solar panels. No one here gives a poo poo.
obviously that loving wrong or there wouldn't be a half dozen people constantly replying would there?

it takes a village to circle jerk

i will now be probated for posting about posting because *this post* is the problem, not the last 3 - 5 pages

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MightyBigMinus posted:

well ok then i was giving you too much credit, please *also* stop the derail.

obviously that loving wrong or there wouldn't be a half dozen people constantly replying would there?

it takes a village to circle jerk

i will now be probated for posting about posting because *this post* is the problem, not the last 3 - 5 pages

Actually the plan was to probate you for the previous post, for insulting fellow D&D posters, but it caught me out and about in town, and you seem to have added “posting about posters” and “backseat modding” to your portfolio of posting tickets in the meantime. I’m in my way home, so I recommend you to make your closing arguments soon, respectfully.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

my closing argument is that you and the mods before you are bad at this, and that has produced the described effect

silence_kit posted:

due to the great cost reduction in wind and solar electricity, the energy landscape has changed since the beginning of this thread 10 years ago and it is important to recognize that.

This and what the natural gas industry is doing might be the biggest developments in energy technology over the last 10 years, but strangely, nuclear power and the oddball technologically irrelevant speculative versions of nuclear power almost exclusively occupy this thread's attention.

a decade of letting the wrong trolls win

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

silence_kit posted:

I’m not getting trolled. I want to argue about this. It does have a very small relation to the thread topic.

On the original, more thread relevant topic though, thank you for recognizing that. Yeah, due to the great cost reduction in wind and solar electricity, the energy landscape has changed since the beginning of this thread 10 years ago and it is important to recognize that.

Silence_Kit can you elaborate on these alleged developments from the "natural gas industry", do you mean that they've made natural gas "cleaner" i.e "clean coal" but for "natural" gas? Are more efficient at producing gas so there's more energy for everyone? Or are they funding solar, wind, hydrogen and other renewables (why is firefox saying this is a spelling error?)? Can you link to these developments?

THEN, can you elaborate on WHY through argument and evidence, why you believe those developments are competitive with nuclear for the generally understood to be the thread consensus goal of decarbonizing the planet to try to mitigate climate change? Particularly on providing base load power generation? But it is vital to explain how it fits in part of the framework of being an effective means of getting industrialized nations in the global north to get off of fossil fuels.

The transistor/quantum device argument again I'll say I'm not sure what you're getting at, I don't think you elaborated the context well, I think most reasonable people participating in the thread agree the costs of solar has gone down, by a lot; I fear the forest has been lost for the weeds.

Like in your response to me before:

quote:

I made the below post which was a dig at a big contingent of this thread's tendency to uncritically cite old, out-of-date pro-nuclear electricity sources on 'The State of Electricity/Energy Technology'. I'm reflexively very skeptical of most posters in this thread for this reason and at the implausibility of their theories of how the US' energy policy works. To them, everything is a conspiracy.

So I don't think we were able to move past trying to unpack this, but can't you just suggest newer sources? The argument about quantum engineering and exotic materials I'm not sure there's really a disagreement about the core point; costs have gone down.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 5, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so would Project Pluto be a zero carbon bomber and therefore the best?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

So, the stress test with various grid operators in Germany has finished. As a result, one of the last three nuclear power plants in Germany will be shut down at the end of the year as planned. The other two will be put into standby until April 2023, in order to be available as an emergency reserve.

Article:
Germany to delay phase-out of nuclear plants to shore up energy security

quote:

Last two working plants were due to be mothballed, but will be used as emergency reserve into 2023 after Russia cuts off gas

Germany is to temporarily halt the phasing-out of two nuclear power plants in an effort to shore up energy security after Russia cut supplies of gas to Europe’s largest economy.

The economy minister, Robert Habeck, announced on Monday that the power plants, Neckarwestheim in Baden Württemberg and Isar 2 in Bavaria, are to be kept running longer than planned in order to be used as an emergency reserve until the middle of next year.

Habeck said that after a stress test carried out with four grid operators, considered worst-case scenarios, they had come to the conclusion that “hourly crisis-like situations in the electricity supply system during winter 22/23, while very unlikely, cannot be fully ruled out”.

He insisted that Germany had “very high supply security” and that the two nuclear plants should remain “on standby until mid-April 2023, in order, if necessary, to provide an additional contribution to the electricity grid in southern Germany”.

The nuclear power plants would be available for operation, and fully staffed, but only on standby and would not produce electricity unless it was deemed necessary.

He insisted that Germany would continue to stick by its plans – regulated by law – to withdraw from nuclear power.

The plants were due to be mothballed by the end of December, the last of Germany’s nuclear power plants to cease working, after a dramatic 2011 decision by Angela Merkel, the then chancellor, in reaction to the Fukushima nuclear accident in Japan.

The extraordinary upending of energy markets since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February has however led to a dramatic rethink.

Power bills across the continent have been soaring in light of dwindling supplies, putting households and businesses under extreme pressure as winter approaches.

The sense of urgency increased when Russia failed to turn on the fifth and last functioning turbine on the Nord Stream 1 pipeline which had carried gas from Russia via the Baltic Sea to Germany. Moscow cited faults on the line, which it said were linked to the sanctions imposed on it.

Discussions on extending the lifetime of the plants have triggered a heated debate in Germany, where nuclear power has been a source of controversy for decades. An announcement by Habeck, a leading figure in the anti-nuclear Green party, on restarting the plants would once have been unthinkable, but the party has come under increasing pressure, especially from its coalition partner, the pro-business FDP, to pause the phase-out.

Many in the FDP hope that today’s announcement may lead to a complete rethink on the phase-out policy, arguing that nuclear power would help Germany achieve its zero-carbon emission goals sooner, as well as helping to secure long-term energy security. The Green party has rejected this position.

“In the winter, our towns and cities will in part be darker because of the fact we have to save electricity. In this situation we should not forgo safer and climate-friendly ways of producing electricity such as nuclear power. This requires more than just extending their operation,” said finance minister Christian Lindner, who is head of the FDP.

Already Germany had been forced to restart mothballed coal-fired power plants, considered the most environmentally damaging source of fuel, which Habeck has stressed was a temporary and painful but necessary measure. So far polls show that the majority of Germans are understanding of the need to at least temporarily revert to nuclear power, given the urgency of the situation, even if they don’t like it.

Habeck has also been trying to fill Germany’s gas storage facilities, using supplies from Belgium, Norway and the Netherlands. Despite Russia’s total switch-off, storage levels stood at just under 86% on Monday.

Dmitry Peskov, the Kremlin spokesperson, said on Monday that the failure to resume supplies from Nord Stream 1 after the impromptu maintenance work was owing to “problems with pumping gas [that] arose due to sanctions that were imposed against our country”.

Extending the lifetime of the plants is, though, not expected to boost Germany’s energy supplies by much. Habeck has said they make up just 2% of Germany’s electricity output.

He had repeatedly ruled out resurrecting the plants, while chancellor Olaf Scholz had said it “could make sense”.

Scholz unveiled a new series of inflation relief measures on Sunday, amounting to 65bn euros and encompassing everything from a rise in child support to assistance in housing benefit to cover high energy bills.

Groups and political parties of the far left and far right have pledged an autumn of protests against higher living costs, the first of which is due to kick off in the eastern city of Leipzig on Monday evening.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maybe the 'new ideas from natural gas' is about deep geothermal, which has some technological overlap with fracking?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

quote:

due to the great cost reduction in wind and solar electricity, the energy landscape has changed since the beginning of this thread 10 years ago and it is important to recognize that.

my man who the gently caress is telling you otherwise

it's like you can't take yes for an answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I don't recall seeing this posted earlier.

Amazon took all U.S. solar rooftops offline last year after flurry of fires, electrical explosions
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/01/amazon-took-solar-rooftops-offline-last-year-after-fires-explosions.html

quote:

Between April 2020 and June 2021, solar panels atop Amazon fulfillment centers caught fire or experienced electrical explosions at least six different times.
In my experience with electrical equipment failure this was a result of being cheap. All but one of the catastrophic failures I've been involved with have been management decisions that involved saving money on labor, materials, or engineering. Every time that this half-assery makes the news it's going to be more ammunition for the renewables are dangerous let's keep burning coal crowd.