Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What were his problems with the De Palma Carrie? Not enough full frontal teens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop

I AM GRANDO posted:

What were his problems with the De Palma Carrie? Not enough full frontal teens?

That's honestly a good question, since even in 1983 he was praising it:

Slashfilm posted:

In a 1983 interview for Playboy, King was asked about the adaptations of both "Carrie" and "The Shining." While he had nothing but bad things to say about "The Shining" ("I'd admired Kubrick for a long time and had great expectations for the project, but I was deeply disappointed in the end result"), he was very pleased with De Palma's take on King's telekinetic teen. Calling De Palma's adaptation "terrific," King critiqued his own work saying, "I still think [it's] a gripping read but [it's] impeded by a certain heaviness, a Sturm und Drang quality that's absent from the film." De Palma's version on the other hand, King felt is "far more stylish than [his] book." Ultimately, he had a lot less to say about "Carrie" than "The Shining" (which he criticized for awhile), but perhaps that's because he simply finds nothing to dislike that much about De Palma's take. 

Maybe it was just the coke talking.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think the trailer is meant to be tongue and cheek lmao

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOnkAEJx8p8

This cast has me interested as does the implication of what the main plot is about. Though overall kind of eh, could have had a better trailer or better direction. Something feels a bit lacking imo.

EDIT: Walter Hill directed this movie. He's done 48 Hours, Red Heat, etc. Huh. Go figure.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 7, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gatts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOnkAEJx8p8

This cast has me interested as does the implication of what the main plot is about. Though overall kind of eh, could have had a better trailer or better direction. Something feels a bit lacking imo.

EDIT: Walter Hill directed this movie. He's done 48 Hours, Red Heat, etc. Huh. Go figure.

He also produced Alien and turned down the chance to direct (he had a schedule clash with The Warriors). Walter Hill has a heck of a hit rate.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gatts posted:

Something feels a bit lacking imo.

Well, it looks like poop, for one thing

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Co-writer on the first Alien as well. The whole android subplot was his invention.

But oh god this new one looks bad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't care how cheap it looks, I love Walter Hill, I love neo-Westerns, and I love that cast. I'm ready to go into the theater hyped and ready to come out disappointed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Morton Haynice posted:

That's honestly a good question, since even in 1983 he was praising it:

Maybe it was just the coke talking.

King himself has said that he was so high on coke when he made Maximum Overdrive that he doesn't even remember making it. So it's probably not worth it to try and ascertain his motive behind that trailer. It's pure coke.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_2DcZjSXTM

With another great cast, Armageddon Time

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gatts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_2DcZjSXTM

With another great cast, Armageddon Time

Huh. Cool.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Armageddon out of the movie theater the minute that film starts playing. :v:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ooh, James Gray. Love his previous stuff.

Netflix dropped a trailer for Henry Selick's new stop motion film with Keegan Michael-Key and Jordan Peele, which Peele co-wrote. This will be Selick's first film in 13 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNUZsLfAMqk

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 8, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Ladies, gentlemen, NBs all, I hope you've kept your knives sharp...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I suspect foul play

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 8, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not sure if it's a rights issue but I don't know otherwise why they just wouldn't call it Knives Out: Glass Onion but either way as long as Daniel Craig is the detective I am pumped for this and the third one. I can not consume enough murder mysteries and I even enjoyed Death on the Nile and Murder on the Orient Express.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ohhh, i like the game tables...

I liked the new Orient Express too, but I am also just a mark for the genre... I am going to take this excuse to tell everyone to watch Last of Shelia if they haven't.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
What was the VFX budget for Norton's wrinkle removal?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dillbag posted:

What was the VFX budget for Norton's wrinkle removal?

A lot considering he decided to redo the VFX himself after being unsatisfied with the results

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edit: wrong thread!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samovar posted:

Ladies, gentlemen, NBs all, I hope you've kept your knives sharp...

i think not :lofty:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hm. I'm sure it's going to be good because Johnson's got a terrific track record, but that was not at all what I wanted from a Knives Out sequel.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Hm. I'm sure it's going to be good because Johnson's got a terrific track record, but that was not at all what I wanted from a Knives Out sequel.

I didn't think about it until I read this but you're actually right. Way too...campy?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Not seeing the issue, it's a bunch of rich dipshits in a murder mystery, which is exactly what I expect from a knives out sequel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I dug how much the first one riffed on/updated/subverted/whatever old Agatha Christie-style regency mystery stories while still channeling the vibe of one itself. This is just doing it's own thing, which is cool and all, but KO worked especially well for me because I love stuffy old detective poo poo. Plus, yeah, this one just feels a bit more cartoonish based on the trailer. But mostly I'm lamenting that this isn't stuffy and leatherbound.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I trust Rhian Johnson over the random trailer house Netflix hired to make that trailer. I wouldn't worry about it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I do think Ana de Armas and her playing off the family as well as Craig is a big part of why the original worked

Her groundedness balanced out Craig’s scenery chewing

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

One of the things I appreciate about Rian Johnson is he tries something new every time he makes a film. I’m glad that holds true even with a sequel to his own film.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkomfZHG5q4

Looks interesting. Betting the plot beats are similar to BvS. Heroes fight each other most of the movie then team up to take down a bigger threat.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Even though the latest super hero movies have been kind of crap, I love me a good spectacle movie. This one looks like it might scratch that itch.

Also, I'm actually kind of digging Pierce Brosnan being cast as Dr Fate.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Pierce Brosnan rules and should be in significantly more things.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Rock sucks, but it looks like fun forgettable spectacle

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Did we all learn nothing from Nope!??

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Morton Haynice posted:

I just love it because it's probably the most bonkers called-shot in cinema history.

The great part is it only works (as a trailer, anyway) because of the specific reputation of its creator. It'd be like if, I dunno, Danielle Steel suddenly made a movie and the trailer was her going "my new film is so loving hot you're gonna cum just from watching it."
It's truly unique, and I doubt anyone will ever be in the position to try something so ludicrous again.

You can definitely tell it's from Stephen King's "I did so much coke I forget large portions of my life" years

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Did we all learn nothing from Nope!??

Just watched it. I think it's my favorite Peele movie lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Just watched it. I think it's my favorite Peele movie lol

It's absolutely his best.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's absolutely his best.

It just knows what it is and executes it perfectly, right? No third act deflation, just pure momentum until the end.

Get Out was way smarter but definitely didn't keep up what it was going for by the end. And the less said of the third act of Us the better.

Really happy that Jordon Peele got into movies. He's so....distinct...

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Gonz posted:

Pierce Brosnan rules and should be in significantly more things.

Exactly my thoughts

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idc0EOmKr30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
[quote="Zzulu" post="526134843"]
The Rock sucks, but it looks like fun forgettable spectacle
[/]

The Rock is holding back my interest, but the action looks to be in the same MOS vein, so I’m torn.