Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sanji being able to light his foot on fire is just retroactively related to him working hard enough to awaken to the powersets his awful brothers had from the start.

Consider, they can control electricity without a fruit or their power ranger suits, same thing.

However, it isn't from his father because he had to actually awaken his inner powers on his own through love for his found family.

Terrible page snipe, truly awful.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

how was luffy immune to enel's attacks if he didnt know rubber negates electricity

if he thought rubber negated sand would he have been immune to crocodile

Luffy is very fortunate that one of the effects of the God fruit is that completely unrelated to the cartoon imagination powers it also turns you into rubber for some reason.

Also, Sanji being able to kick fire is very good and does not need a devil fruit explanation. I will also continue to believe it is unrelated to his Germa heritage.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sengoku's mythical human model fruit allows him to become a giant man made out of gold. But also gives him some of the qualities of Buddha permanently I would assume.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Sanji/Luffy's limbs go on fire when they do a big attack because they trained hard but most of all it looks cool

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Scholtz posted:

Sanji/Luffy's limbs go on fire when they do a big attack because they trained hard but most of all it looks cool

This is just how it works.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nika was a rubberhose cartoon character.

In addition to being immune to electricity, he could turn his head into a wolf when he passed a pretty lady and if a cigar exploded in his face it would make him look like an awful racist caricature.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

the bitcoin of weed posted:

seriously where did this idea even come from. nobody in the series has once alluded to the spooky devil voice that whispers gum gum in your ear when you eat the fruit

There were a lot of mistranslations in the Kaizoku subs/franky family days. The whole nakama thing is what people remember the most but eating the hito hito gives you enlightenment and learning the name of your fruit when you eat it are also from that era.

e: Apparently the name of the devil fruit thing came from the Viz translation? Wow, I didnt know.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Meme Emulator posted:

eating the hito hito gives you enlightenment

This is from an SBS where someone asked Oda what would happen if a human ate the regular Human fruit(or any animal ate the fruit of their species). His response was almost certainly a joke, and this doesn't apply to other models of the Human fruit anyway.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

drat.... just realized Queen Elizabeth won't get to read the chapter tonight....

sucks to be her

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Scholtz posted:

drat.... just realized Queen Elizabeth won't get to read the chapter tonight....

sucks to be her
It’s ok, I read that she wrote to oda and he told her the ending

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RatHat posted:

This is from an SBS where someone asked Oda what would happen if a human ate the regular Human fruit(or any animal ate the fruit of their species). His response was almost certainly a joke, and this doesn't apply to other models of the Human fruit anyway.

Also could be a wink-wink towards Sengoku, the only human user of a Human Human Fruit and is a Buddha.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Also could be a wink-wink towards Sengoku, the only human user of a Human Human Fruit and is a Buddha.

are you saying luffy isnt human?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's a monkey

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

More people should call Luffy "Monkey".

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Ubiquitus posted:

It really does seem like semantics, but doffy was a paramecia. Luffy isn’t, which is why the turning things into rubber thing still feels incongruent unless his power actually is “imagination affects reality”

Mythic Zoans have always been outliers in this regard. They basically do whatever the myths they were associated with said they did, which is why Marco's flames double as a magical healing salve or why Kaido can summon up flame clouds to walk through the air or why Orochi could just tell death to gently caress off like 6 times because he still had an extra head. Luffy is supposed to be a reality-warping incarnation of pure ridiculousness and freedom so that's what he does.

As for why his body is made of rubber, my take on it is that he was like a blank canvass or an animation cell in its default position. He was already untethered from reality so to speak, but he wasn't able to exert full control over the proverbial animation process yet so his abilities were still constrained. Also lets be real here, Luffy's dumb as gently caress - everyone said he was made of rubber so maybe he subconsciously made himself actually rubber without realizing it. He'd certainly never question it, and nobody would ever think much of it because Paramecia's are a thing so whatever, my boss is a giant golden buddha so yeah he's a rubber man, that checks out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The rubber body thing is contrived, sure, but it's fundamentally an excuse to take the power to its most absurd limit, and it does that without ever undermining how utterly goofy Luffy's powerset is, so I appreciate it. I've mentioned it before but I really love that Luffy's power is all about comically deforming his own body. Gear 4 kinda went too far for a while in that it was too traditionally "badass," but Gear 5 is perfect in that regard.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

His body is made of rubber because Nika's body was made of rubber, it's not complicated.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Luffy's Freedom God powers genuinely do not change his powerset in any way. And that's kinda funny if sorta weird.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like that looney toons are the form ultimate power has taken in the one piece universe

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/TCBScans/status/1568049357349330944

:c00l: Don't be fooled; they're incredibly cruel. :c00l:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: ahahahaha

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I wonder how many people just clicked that to make it die like that

Edit: it never loaded for me, what was it?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It didn't die, it was a tweet that said "Check the link in our bio (only for the impatient)" and the link in their bio was a rickroll :negative:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Scholtz posted:

It didn't die, it was a tweet that said "Check the link in our bio (only for the impatient)" and the link in their bio was a rickroll :negative:

I clicked the link but it never loaded :smith:

Though honestly I was assuming it was a Rickroll.

Thanks!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, we're pretty sure that Kaido isn't a human, which makes him one of the smaller giants by default.

We're 100% sure. He explicitly says that he's an oni and tells Yamato that, due to also being an oni, he cannot befriend humans and is required to rule over them with strength.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

tbp posted:

We're 100% sure. He explicitly says that he's an oni and tells Yamato that, due to also being an oni, he cannot befriend humans and is required to rule over them with strength.

This is from Ch 1025 fyi

Tbh I'm not sure if this confirms they're not human, at least until Oda says so from outside of the story. Also, neither Kaido's nor Yamato's vivre card doesn't mention their species, which is only mentioned when the subject of the card is not human.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Luffy's fruit works like X-Men powers. First you get a base power, like turning into ice and being able to make ice. Then the writeryou eventually realize that you aren't just an ice man, no you actually control energy on a sub-atomic level and you can do God poo poo.

Being made of rubber is just the base level poo poo before you awaken to the fact that you aren't a Warner brother, you're a looney toon.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Scholtz posted:

This is from Ch 1025 fyi

Tbh I'm not sure if this confirms they're not human, at least until Oda says so from outside of the story. Also, neither Kaido's nor Yamato's vivre card doesn't mention their species, which is only mentioned when the subject of the card is not human.

I am assuming oni is getting translated as Ogre. How man character have horns like Kaido and Yamato? Avalo Pizarro, Black Maria and Blueno am I missing anyone

side_burned fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 9, 2022

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I wasn't refuting the translation

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Scholtz posted:

I wasn't refuting the translation

I didn't mean it that way I was just thinking that their could be demonic connotation that got lost in that translation.

Does that mean Kind was angel working for demon? huh.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Oh well yeah I mean don't get me wrong, I definitely think they're weird, but so are tons of other humans in OP.

Like, what the heck is up with Caesar??

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 9, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He's a little freak is what he is

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

What's your opinion on Gastino?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Now there's a man I'd let near my children

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

This is all your fault, Caesar.

https://twitter.com/TCBScans/status/1568065133397565440

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
luffy needs time to mourn the death of the queen

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
luffy historically doesn't give a poo poo about royals unless they promise him food

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
no he is very sad the queen is dead, i asked him.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Luffy is only sad because it means he doesn't get to eat the queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

no he is very sad the queen is dead, i asked him.

Wonder how he's going to take what Sabo has been up to.