Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Boxman posted:

I've got enough WCs for an explorer deck. Something top tier? Spirits? Something dumb? Gates? Something else? What's fun in there?

I think the top decks are Rakdos Sac, Rakdos midrange, mono-u spirits, U/W control, Abzan Greasefang and possibly mono-g ramp. In bo3 at least. Mono red is better in Bo1. There's also a budget boros heroic deck that seems bo1 exclusive, because I've never seen it. And there's one guy out there that was playing gruul dinosaur tribal in bo3 plat, so follow your dreams I guess. Lately people are playing a bunch of golgari midrange, which just seems worse than Rakdos, except you get to play Scavenging Ooze maindeck, also an excuse to play Tireless Tracker.

There's also a green or green white hardened scales deck that might be good. Might want to maindeck Ozoliths though because like 60% of your opponents are running 4x fatal push. Grinning Ignis combo is a real deck too, and I think the new red defiler just added another way for it to combo off (not really infinite, you need to have more life than your opponent). I've seen a few people playing Simic Flash, Dimir Flash, and straight up zendikar standard rogues.

I haven't played much explorer since the new set, so I don't know if anything changed. The meta is pretty wide open though

Gates is better as a historic deck, since you get to play Growth Spiral AND explore, and you get a few extra gates from the alchemy set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

wei posted:

https://sealeddeck.tech/9U00j6NSJQ

Something like this? I'm phone posting so I can't do a proper build. White gives you Aron and fodder for Bone Splinters. The defender package is small but okay, hopefully you can recur Wingmantle Chaplain (you can sac her to splinters or the rare Cleric). You can splash any third colour for relatively cheap, I just went with blue for Micromancer and another interaction spell. Essence Scatter is playable too.

Edit: I'm not entirely sure about the defender package, I really dislike running Drawbridges

huh! totally different direction than the way I was looking at it but I think I was a bit too hung up on keeping the red defiler in even though there isn't much going on in my red. I thought about trying to make the Wingmantle Chaplain work as well but those clockwork drawbridges feel like they hold it back, like I'm one good wall away from feeling good with the package. I like Micromancer in this deck with the bone splinters and vortex though, feels like a solid choice to go with the blue.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

babypolis posted:

im pretty sure thats not true. like just looking at their winrates, only the green one has a pretty high one at 61.9. then red is sitting at a respectable 60%, but still lower than many uncommons and even some commons. the rest range from ok (58% range for the white and black ones) to actually kinda bad for the blue one at 56.4% (not surprising given the lack of blue permanents). i was slightly too dismissive of them but besides the green one they arent really bomb rare status. 2 pips of mana is just a big ask in this format and they ask for things most decks dont want to do (play a lot of permanents of a single color)

Ive actually drafted the red one a bunch and its always kind of just there because if im going deep into red im probably in UR, which doesnt actually want to play many red permanents. every time it was basically a 4 mana 4/4 first strike which is pretty solid but also not something im going nuts for. id much rather pick a strong uncommon that actually gives me some direction

Oops, i guess the blue one isn't actually above rate, I had it confused with that other blue rare that's bigger and has ward. First strike is a really nasty keyword though, u/r doesn't have many permanents but there's lots of ways to increase it's power further or damage something during combat. I'm surprised the black one is so low, a trigger means that you need 4 blockers to stop yourself from taking damage.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 9, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Boxman posted:

I've got enough WCs for an explorer deck. Something top tier? Spirits? Something dumb? Gates? Something else? What's fun in there?

RB/x piles are probably the “best” right now but the format is pretty wide open. Elvish mystics really elevated mono G if throwin’ down fatties on turn 2 is your thing. Spirits is strong and fun if making your opponent mad is your thing. Anything with CoCo is fun and CoCo can be used in a number of decks.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many Essence Scatters should one play

one or two. It's a good cheap card but you don't want to find yourself in spots where your opponent sneaks in a cheap nasty card like nishoba brawler and you're staring at a hand full of cards that can't block or answer something that's already on the board.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Boxman posted:

answer 1: wait at least a week before doing anything because the format is still in flux after the release of dmu

answer 2: if you are entering a format for the first time and you only have the resources for one real deck, you may want to consider crafting a single budget deck that you can incrementally improve instead. if you go all in on one deck and end up hating it or getting bored, you're SOL. as a suggestion, rakdos sac is very budget-friendly as most of the key cards are uncommons. rakdos midrange is also a consideration if you've been playing standard for at least a year--you may have some of the rares that deck uses like graveyard trespasser and fable of the mirror-breaker. but that deck is easy to budgetize since it's just removal.dec with a planeswalker top-end.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My limited win rate has got to be miles better than my constructed one lmao

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
2/2 with the deck from last night: https://www.17lands.com/deck/e491b814ec6b4a778c1b1a044a942fc3/2 - cut all the white except Baird, Aron, and the kickers initially, then realised when he mouldered in hand for an entire match that Aron was a double pip and I should have cut him too. Baid plus Kavu did a bunch of work in a couple of matches, and I think I made at least one minor gameplay mistake, but please overall with performance given the slighty dodgy draft.

Then 4/3 with this drafted today: https://www.17lands.com/deck/34cfa84062b24dc8822e6d0445b9c2cc - pleased with the deckbuilding here, cutting all the splashes to go down to 2 colour felt painful but it meant I couyld guarantee my 4-toughness creatures surviving Drag to the Bottom which saved my rear end a couple times, and allowed me to do a big board wipe with Nemata out once - albeit my opponent then popped their Sylex the following turn and killed me later, it was still satisfying (and in the same match I tried to Tail Swipe with a Battlefly into a bigger creature intending to activate it, but it skipped the activation trigger, which is a lesson I guess - activate firsr - and then cost me an Extinguish I could have used later, so maybe cost me the game? But on reflection I'm pretty sure I was dead either way. At least one loss was just drawing two straight hands of all one colour mana with no castables, so missing out on fixing was a little painful.

Next up is this one: https://www.17lands.com/deck/9f52c19f01914d879caa912bffee896c - any suggestions? I think with the amount of 1/1s and 2/2s I can generate, the green splash for Zar Ojanen is worth it, but cutting the greent entirely and swapping in more go wide aggro is definitely an option.

I'm at 22/23 out of 9 events now which feels a lot better than being a 9/15 after 5 lol.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Next up is this one: https://www.17lands.com/deck/9f52c19f01914d879caa912bffee896c - any suggestions? I think with the amount of 1/1s and 2/2s I can generate, the green splash for Zar Ojanen is worth it, but cutting the greent entirely and swapping in more go wide aggro is definitely an option.

Don't cut Argrivian Cavaliers, it's a top performing common for white. I'd cut phoenix for it, a 1/1 can't block sucks and it's going to come back a lot less often than you think. Zar does not seem like it's going to be castable often but it's got a high ceiling and the only thing you could swap it for is the Coalition Warbrute which is actually pretty decent.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Every deck I run into in ranked is either a black removal/discard deck or a blue deck built around counterspells and Haughty Djinn. Having pretty good success against both with a deck built around Illuminator Virtuoso, Ivy Spell Thief, and whole pile of those U/W disturb creature cards from Innistrad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thinking I might switch from Izzet Gruul for this Historic season...

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

black is just really good right now. having a good time with an esper controlly midrange deck ive been using. ive been starting to feel like although the white cards are really good at face value atm are kind of bad and bait in control shells. wedding announcement buys a little time but tear asunder/invoke despair/that one werewolf creature are literally everywhere. wandering emperor is gas but doing the -2 on trespasser feels terrible and no one attacks with sheoldred when u have 4 mana up. farewell owns i have nothing bad to say about that card.

anyways i might cut white back but with all that said even with cut down raffine is gas and imo void rend is super underrated with all these trespassers and other ward creatures running around. hard to decide if white is worth it rn, dunno if there are other cards im forgetting

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many Essence Scatters should one play

studio mujahideen posted:

upper limit is going to depend on how many vortexes/geysers you have

little munchkin posted:

one or two. It's a good cheap card but you don't want to find yourself in spots where your opponent sneaks in a cheap nasty card like nishoba brawler and you're staring at a hand full of cards that can't block or answer something that's already on the board.

Thanks, that all makes sense and is how things panned out lol

Event #17

https://www.17lands.com/draft/186c594c53644d15a35ebe43179bdc0b
1-3

Did not feel great. Even with early control picking off small creatures and countering big ones, my top-end wasn't really enough to get things going. Dragging things out just meant it took later for the big value pile decks to just plant something that would outclass my board. The best case scenario was getting into a stalled board where I would end up just decking before being able to win lol.

In the past 36 hours I've burned through 6000 gems (most of my reserves) and only have 2 drafts left (counting the coins I've scrounged up in the past two weeks lol)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 9, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hbrawl is diseased with five color commanders

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

kalel posted:

hbrawl is diseased with five color commanders

All you need is Baral and you can farm them with like a 95% win rate

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thinking I might switch from Izzet Gruul for this Historic season...

After folding in succession to Enchantress, Mill, Auras, Mizzix, Elves and Reanimator, maybe not lol

Though I don't know how much Izzards would have fared better against them

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 9, 2022

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

All you need is Baral and you can farm them with like a 95% win rate

baral has a 100% WR against me because i will autoconcede against that miserable experience every time before even seeing my hand

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i will never give baral-playing scum the satisfaction of playing a game of magic

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Hooplah posted:

i will never give baral-playing scum the satisfaction of playing a game of magic

Yes, thank you for my 15 wins each night when I fire up my bot that starts a game, waits 5 seconds and concedes. So many players beat me to the concede button lol.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Depending on the deck, I just scoop to Baral. Not worth my time.

Sometimes I get the win, but it’s not often.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I literally just show up to post my wins. That's why I don't post often.

7-1 with this one:

Topically, the defiler was great. Mostly, as a 4/4 first strike, but the pings were not entirely irrelevant. Paragon is just a bomb. Feels like the game just ended every time she came down. I did get to live the dream and skycleave pony someone to death.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Also, if you hate 5C Brawl decks, try my mono-B Tinybones. It is considered "low tier" so you hardly ever get matched with 5C, and on the rare occasion you do, you wind up completely shredding their hand as they attempt to ramp, then you start dealing 10 life loss to the dome. You can mix-and-match anything you want and substitute anything you don't have. The only godlike must-craft is Waste Not.

The 3-mana Discard Two cards are technically a better value than things like Inquisition of Kozilek, but "reveal your hand" causes a surprising amount of rage concedes so you want enough in the deck that you often have one on Turn 1.

The one meme card is Command the Dreadhorde which usually doesn't work out but is hilarious when it goes off.

Liliana's Triumph is one of the few opportunities in Arena to force an opponent to discard during their draw phase. I really wish there was more of that.

Commander
1 Tinybones, Trinket Thief (JMP) 17

Deck
1 Barren Moor (ONS) 312
1 Cabal Stronghold (DAR) 238
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
1 Hive of the Eye Tyrant (AFR) 258
1 Bloodchief's Thirst (ZNR) 94
1 Thoughtseize (AKR) 127
1 Inquisition of Kozilek (STA) 31
1 Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage (WAR) 83
1 Elspeth's Nightmare (THB) 91
1 Inscription of Ruin (ZNR) 108
1 Go Blank (STX) 72
1 Pelakka Predation (ZNR) 120
1 Rankle, Master of Pranks (ELD) 101
1 Never /// Return (AKR) 118
1 Tergrid, God of Fright (KHM) 112
1 Infernal Grasp (MID) 107
1 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
1 Sign in Blood (STA) 32
1 Cling to Dust (THB) 87
1 Epic Downfall (ELD) 85
1 Baleful Mastery (STX) 64
1 Bleed Dry (VOW) 94
1 Feed the Serpent (KHM) 95
1 Eat to Extinction (THB) 90
1 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
1 Chainer's Edict (TOR) 57
1 Pharika's Libation (THB) 111
1 Soul Shatter (ZNR) 127
1 Unburden (AKR) 131
1 Feed the Swarm (ZNR) 102
1 Devour Intellect (AFR) 97
1 Arguel's Blood Fast (XLN) 90
1 Flunk (STX) 71
1 Hero's Downfall (VOW) 120
1 Divest (DAR) 87
1 Dread Fugue (VOW) 107
1 Vicious Rumors (GRN) 89
1 Liliana's Triumph (WAR) 98
1 Arterial Flow (RIX) 62
1 Demogorgon's Clutches (AFR) 96
1 Drill Bit (RNA) 73
1 Heartless Pillage (XLN) 109
1 No Way Out (MID) 116
1 Liliana, Waker of the Dead (M21) 108
1 Skull Raid (KHM) 111
1 Mind Drain (ZNR) 114
1 Hypnotic Specter (M10) 100
1 Dark Ritual (STA) 26
1 Hagra Mauling (ZNR) 106
1 Command the Dreadhorde (WAR) 82
1 Waste Not (M15) 122
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
1 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
31 Snow-Covered Swamp (KHM) 281
1 Mind Rake (MH1) 96
1 Asylum Visitor (J21) 46
1 Mind Spike (HBG) 46
1 Acquisitions Expert (ZNR) 89
1 Burglar Rat (GRN) 64
1 Elderfang Disciple (KHM) 93
1 Virus Beetle (NEO) 128
1 Painful Bond (Y22) 12
1 Invoke Despair (NEO) 101
1 Soul Servitude (Y22) 16
1 Sewer Plague (HBG) 47
1 Grave Choice (HBG) 43
1 Undercity Plunder (Y22) 15
1 The Raven Man (DMU) 103
1 Liliana of the Veil (DMU) 97

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 9, 2022

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Boxman posted:

Someone in this thread posted this Boros goblins list. It seems very fun and well positioned in the meta. I am waiting till I get the hordemaster from Dom U drafts but I am planning on running it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

oh God Sonios new Izzet brew is

a) adorable

and

2) pretty much proof that Fable kinda has to go

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shrecknet posted:

oh God Sonios new Izzet brew is

a) adorable

and

2) pretty much proof that Fable kinda has to go

was this posted in here somewhere, and if not do you have the list

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I haven’t played in a couple of sets and promptly went 0-3 drafting UG (I did not look up anything)

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Got into the mood to play more Obliterator decks in Historic. Tried Golgari with Tail Swipe at first which can be hilarious (like fighting a Parhelion at instant speed) but feels too inconsistent

Now I'm trying Mono B Midrange with Invoke Despair and while it's definitely not a great deck, watching a Gruul opponent concede at 20 life when Obliterator hits the board gives me infinite joy

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
they pushed another update for the mobile client so hopefully that fixes the problem with additional cost targeting prompts, two updates in two days is the most ive ever seen then touch the mobile client lol

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

flatluigi posted:

was this posted in here somewhere, and if not do you have the list

Probably this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvMa02q2xc

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #18

https://www.17lands.com/draft/a41fdf78d0e04d0a9782fccc912be174

So these colors were kinda handed to me on a platter lol? I guess I just need to make the correct cuts for the gameplan. Is there something I cut for a fifth Strike Team? Is there a case to be made for too many Strike Teams and I should play one of the fistful of one and two-drops in the board?

The only noteworthy pick choice here is perhaps Tori, like on paper she should be good but has terrible stats... Is she actually worse than a Strike Team? I passed her and she wheeled -- along with another Sprouting Goblin lol... the only reason I picked her up is because I already had two Sprouting Goblins and there's probably diminishing returns on that?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #18

https://www.17lands.com/draft/a41fdf78d0e04d0a9782fccc912be174

So these colors were kinda handed to me on a platter lol? I guess I just need to make the correct cuts for the gameplan. Is there something I cut for a fifth Strike Team? Is there a case to be made for too many Strike Teams and I should play one of the fistful of one and two-drops in the board?

The only noteworthy pick choice here is perhaps Tori, like on paper she should be good but has terrible stats... Is she actually worse than a Strike Team? I passed her and she wheeled -- along with another Sprouting Goblin lol... the only reason I picked her up is because I already had two Sprouting Goblins and there's probably diminishing returns on that?

I just had Tori in a deck. My biggest problem with her was I really wanted her to have Haste or something. It's mostly that Tori has to sit there a whole turn before doing anything. I didn't think she was bad, per se, it just feels like you want her to alpha strike, giving dudes trample and vigilante to save the possible crackback, and it's hard to just have that on the board waiting for a bit first.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, thank you for my 15 wins each night when I fire up my bot that starts a game, waits 5 seconds and concedes. So many players beat me to the concede button lol.

if this were any other poster i would think you're making a joke

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Hooplah posted:

if this were any other poster i would think you're making a joke

I'm not the only one doing it either, I noticed other Baral players that caught on and do the same, to the point that I remember their usernames because they come up so often (HBrawl is a pretty small matchmaking pool, or maybe I get sandboxed with other people who do it, but I think it's the former because sometimes I'll be matched to the same person twice in a row). If you see someone named "Isometry Steer" or "Mattias H1N1" playing Baral in HBrawl, wait 30 seconds and you'll win guaranteed. Same for me unless you see me actually play a land, in which case you're hosed.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Interesting, I never see Baral decks, maybe because my hbrawl decks are jank?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Simone Poodoin posted:

Interesting, I never see Baral decks, maybe because my hbrawl decks are jank?

Yes, commanders are sorted by name into different tiers. The top tier is Baral, Golos, Esika, Kinnan, that GW Enchantress I forget the name, Nicol Bolas, a few others like Tef5ri.

Tier settings get changed around a bit but if you run a lower tier commander you should never run into the scumbags unless matchmaking is very thin.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I do run a golos deck sometimes but it’s a stupid gates deck so maybe the tiers also take the 99 into account

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Simone Poodoin posted:

I do run a golos deck sometimes but it’s a stupid gates deck so maybe the tiers also take the 99 into account

kinda? i'd be surprised if you didn't see the mirror constantly.

speaking of golos, anyone try to build a combo version of that deck with world tree to cheat out a buttload of gods? not as good a wincon as fields was, but it seems pretty funny if you can actually get to 10 mana

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Simone Poodoin posted:

It's possible, I know there's a concept of "deck power" in Play mode, but in my experience I am matched with goofballs running T1 jank as much as "serious" T1. Likewise my Tinybones deck is tuned to be very competitive but I rarely see T1 commanders, I find think I've ever seen a Baral with it but my Baral gets plenty of mirror matches.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oh, this is how these decks are supposed to play, huh

maybe i should put in the fifth strike team...

Edit: yeah the game is really presenting this question to me pretty starkly, so happy to see Keldon Strike Team in this situation whereas I'm not going to cast Tori...

I guess if I hit a roadblock Tori would break out of it, albeit slowly? I would rather have a second Heroic Charge in my deck but I guess it's still marginal value

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

It’s weird I do see all the T1 commanders mentioned above when I run golos, but never see Baral