Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megahtz
Jun 24, 2020

by Hand Knit
I hope Janet Gretzky had finally overcome her gambling addiction.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Having the head of state and head of government separate is a good thing, I think.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

TheCenturion posted:

Having the head of state and head of government separate is a good thing, I think.

No good reason for it to be some old inbred racist who lives in another hemisphere though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Bring back Julie Payette - no more ms nice regent

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
put christopher plummer or and colin mochrie on the money or else close the country

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

megahtz posted:

I hope Janet Gretzky had finally overcome her gambling addiction.

I don’t, I hope she costs wayne all his money.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Doesn't he stump for some sports book betting poo poo now anyway?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

If we go with Gretzky then we can issue a 99 dollar bill.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

No good reason for it to be some old inbred racist who lives in another hemisphere though.

Actually, Buckingham Palace is in the western hemisphere :goonsay:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Seems like the king lives rent free in both of your hemispheres now!!!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powershift posted:

Actually, Buckingham Palace is in the western hemisphere :goonsay:

aren't the western and eastern hemispheres arbitrarily defined to support the claims of colonialist powers in which case lol and lmao

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

TheCenturion posted:

Have sortition select a sovereign if you're that horny for one.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I give you the best choice

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1568057701418303489?t=IShwmoXER5uXUkyGW5p18A&s=19

(Check the replies too)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

infernal machines posted:

Doesn't he stump for some sports book betting poo poo now anyway?
Yeah, MGM’s.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Yup, that's the best choice hands down

Awkward freeze while holding a microphone while receiving the head of state of luxembourg after giving him a long lost treasured photograph or something

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Do we need to rename all the lovely faux pubs with queen in the name?

Scarborough is already prepared, with both the Queen's Head and The King's Arms

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

evilpicard posted:

Scarborough is already prepared, with both the Queen's Head and The King's Arms

Just the need The Princess' Feet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Just the need The Princess' Feet

Quentin Tarantino posts in CanPol?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Do we need to rename all the lovely faux pubs with queen in the name?
There's still a bunch of stuff named after the last Queen, no reason to change now

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

Bring back Julie Payette - no more ms nice regent

It's well known at this point that exposure to the terrifying void can bring on terminal space madness with unpredictable consequences.

We need to keep the astronauts well away from any sort of power.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

TheCenturion posted:

Having them be the same person is basically the speedrun to dictatorship, notable exception being the US (and even then it's been touch and go occasionally)

DynamicSloth posted:

Elected isn't that great, people don't understand the system as it is, imagine trying to explain that we now have a president as well

Also the first one would 100% be President Harper

Alctel fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 9, 2022

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

TheCenturion posted:

Sure, but no need for it to be some monarch across the ocean. I'm not convinced by France's system so maybe just keep it identical to how it is now except that the Governor General doesn't represent the Crown and probably rename it to something else.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

What if we made the pope the head of state?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Just make the least-rapey player from whatever team won the Stanley Cup the head of state for that year

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Fidelitious posted:

Sure, but no need for it to be some monarch across the ocean. I'm not convinced by France's system so maybe just keep it identical to how it is now except that the Governor General doesn't represent the Crown and probably rename it to something else.

Basically this, but keep "the crown" for convenience sake but make it an abstract concept vs an actual person, it more or less is right now anyway.

Absolutely 100% if the head of state has powers even close to the GGs on paper powers they shouldn't be elected, think of all the tiny little almost scandals like proroguing Parliament during the Harper years and now imagine that the GG is partisan.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Moving on from dead monarch

https://twitter.com/bruceanderson/status/1568243482828890113?t=OBpSzP3GrZ2spkDiv6qwAA&s=19

Time for the dumbest poo poo I have seen in the last 12 hours

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Put Alanis on a loonie and two Ryans make a toonie.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

bunnyofdoom posted:

Moving on from dead monarch

https://twitter.com/bruceanderson/status/1568243482828890113?t=OBpSzP3GrZ2spkDiv6qwAA&s=19

Time for the dumbest poo poo I have seen in the last 12 hours

Conservatives: Less government regulations!

Also conservatives: We want to increase regulations around how companies spend their money.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i love how this guy is enough of a loving idiot he doesn't understand that pinkwashing is an advertising strategy that makes companies money

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

Conservatives: Less government regulations!

Also conservatives: We want to increase regulations around how companies spend their money.

Their idea is straight up prohibit corporations from endorsing ideas. Mind that it would only apply to CBA corporations, which is a tiny faction of companies in Canada. And also they could still endorse the idea if shareholders vote to approve it. Shareholders have already voted for the directors who are causing these ideas to be endorsed.

It's ineffectual, performative foolishness. Mr. Jivani really nailed it by labelling it "a uniquely Canadian solution".

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I cant wait for our Biebbucks or whatever.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The solution is already in our 5c coin. Make a beaver the head of our country.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Madkal posted:

The solution is already in our 5c coin. Make a beaver the head of our country.

we just got finished with a beaver though. now it's the bluenose off the dime

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Local politics, but it came up on my feed so now you need to see it

https://twitter.com/Bob_Chiarelli/status/1568269254037852161

He does this every day. Which is hilariously sad

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The death of a monarch who rained for 70 years is obviously big news, but it is still a sign of how calloused we've become to Quebec's xenophobia that we haven't noted Legault's little tirade here.

Specifically, the CAQ is campaigning with a plan to freeze immigration to Quebec at current levels. This is despite a labour shortage and the fact that Quebec is shrinking relative to the rest of Canada. Legault explained this counterintuitive approach thusly:

some xenophobic jerk posted:

Les Québécois sont pacifiques, ils n’aiment pas la chicane, ils n’aiment pas les extrémistes. Ils n’aiment pas la violence. Il faut s’assurer qu’on garde ça comme c’est là.

https://www.ledevoir.com/politique/...ses-dit-legault

That is, "The Quebecoise are peaceful people, they don't like arguments, they don't like extremism. They don't like violence. It has to be kept that way."

This was too much, even for Québec. Legault is now walking it back, sort of. He now regrets that people were confused by his comments, and says that immigration provides a "richness" to Quebec when immigrants assimilate.

Separately from this, Legault "apologized" because part of the CAQ campaign website was provided in English. Not that it was only available in English, but that any part of it was available in English. No call to walk that back.

This is all working well for the CAQists. They are expected to capture something like 80% of the seats this election. Notably, with only 40 something percent of the vote, which is nuts even for first past the post.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

enki42 posted:

Basically this, but keep "the crown" for convenience sake but make it an abstract concept vs an actual person, it more or less is right now anyway.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Maneck posted:

The death of a monarch who rained for 70 years is obviously big news, but it is still a sign of how calloused we've become to Quebec's xenophobia that we haven't noted Legault's little tirade here.

Specifically, the CAQ is campaigning with a plan to freeze immigration to Quebec at current levels. This is despite a labour shortage and the fact that Quebec is shrinking relative to the rest of Canada. Legault explained this counterintuitive approach thusly:

https://www.ledevoir.com/politique/...ses-dit-legault

That is, "The Quebecoise are peaceful people, they don't like arguments, they don't like extremism. They don't like violence. It has to be kept that way."

This was too much, even for Québec. Legault is now walking it back, sort of. He now regrets that people were confused by his comments, and says that immigration provides a "richness" to Quebec when immigrants assimilate.

Separately from this, Legault "apologized" because part of the CAQ campaign website was provided in English. Not that it was only available in English, but that any part of it was available in English. No call to walk that back.

This is all working well for the CAQists. They are expected to capture something like 80% of the seats this election. Notably, with only 40 something percent of the vote, which is nuts even for first past the post.

I wonder if he remembers the country the Quebec Mosque or École Polytechnique shooters were from.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Maneck posted:

I can say things I just made up too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

iv46vi posted:

Put Alanis on a loonie and two Ryans make a toonie.

Suddenly inconsolable that a nickel and the number two have nothing going on to make a two Michaels joke here.

Maneck posted:

They are expected to capture something like 80% of the seats this election. Notably, with only 40 something percent of the vote, which is nuts even for first past the post.

Is this down to Montreal vs the rest of the province demographics, or something else?