Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isra the Great
Apr 5, 2009

A pleasure to meet you, my good bro.
Obviously, Mihawk will simply fall down a set of stairs on his way to duel Zoro to bring the arc full circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Buggy will become the Pirate King, therefore he will go to Laugh Tale, so if Mihawk wants to find Zoro then all he needs to do is follow Buggy. Oda's doing it again!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Isra the Great posted:

Obviously, Mihawk will simply fall down a set of stairs on his way to duel Zoro to bring the arc full circle.

and then smokers new assistant will look just like him in a subplot that goes nowhere

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Mihawk and Zoro agree to duel at Ganryu Island except Zoro gets lost and finds the One Piece instead

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

blizzardvizard posted:

Zoro vs Mihawk is gonna happen in-story, but I'm not sure it's gonna be shown to the readers necessarily. The way the story's going Cross Guild isn't likely to end up being a major antagonist, especially cos they're not gonna rehash Crocodile as the arc boss. It's probably all Blackbeard and the WG from this point on, so when and how is Zoro vs Mihawk gonna happen on the way to the story's endgame? Defeating Mihawk specifically wasn't Zoro's dream anyway, it was to be the world's greatest swordsman and Mihawk was just a benchmark.

I think they're just gonna have a duel in some remote island off-screen that would last a week or something in the epilogue.

Something I have been half expecting is for Shiryu to be the one who defeats Milhawk. It would help to establish the Blackbeards as legit threats to have crew member defeat Milhawk, Yoru fits Shiryu psudo nazi look and Milhawk is shown to heavily use observation Haki which Shiryu seems built to gently caress with that (and so is Shanks) even before his devil fruit.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

LightReaper posted:

Sure but if the greatest died by being ganked doesn’t that completely deflate Zoro? Becoming greatest by default seems like anti hype

His kunia 2.0

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

This seems like a ridiculous thing to do now and not in 5-7 years

Check out my limited edition copy of 3/4ths of One Piece

That's cute that you think we're already 3/4 of the way through OP and not like 1/2.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Isra the Great posted:

PX Stairs :eek:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Stairaphim :v:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Last night I dreamed that every major character's name in One Piece turns out to be an acronym that's important to the story. In my dream, it all made sense and explained so many mysteries in the plot. When I woke up, the only one I could remember was that Law stood for "Loves A&W Root Beer" somehow

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Kuango64/status/1568364209196486656?t=_Yrmejm2eTe8XyGVFSUAXg&s=19

Apparently the guy who made the big One Piece book has a history of essentially plagiarizing comics without attribution under the excuse of being art.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

zoro defeats mihawk but isnt going to kill him, then mihawk gets stabbed while hes down, i guess? but after beating mihawk shiliew wouldnt really seem like much of a challenge

The two likely endgame antagonist factions (the Blackbeard Pirates and the World Government) have much more going for them than individual combat strength. Dirty tricks, sheer numbers, and advanced and exotic weaponry are all on the table for anyone who wants to bring the World's Greatest Swordsman down.

My bet is that after being defeated in single combat by Zoro and passing on his title, a badly injured Mihawk is going to show up out of the blue to help his former student carve through an entire army of Mihawk Seraphim during the assault on Mariejois. It will be both hosed up and badass.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fungah! posted:

mihawk is the worlds greatest swordsman. zoro's dream is to be the worlds greatest swordsman, which means proving yourself stronger than th previous number 1. Also like they've been building it up for a thousand chapters, there's no way oda goes SIKE! NOW IT'S SHILIEW I GUESS

Mihawk is the greatest swordsman, but if he gets beaten by another swordsman that person becomes the greatest swordsman. This can be seen when Zoro and Mihawk have their duel and Mihawk then promises to remain at the peak no mater how long it takes for Zoro to get there so they can fight again.

Since Kuina and Zoro pinky promised to become the greatest swordsman but didn't swear to beat Mihawk, Zoro fulfills the promise by becoming #1 no matter who he beats. He's looking for the title, which apparently follows some loose parallel of boxing rules. Mihawk doesn't appear to be the first greatest swordsman, and is instead just the current best swordsman of those alive/active. To be the best, Rocky doesn't have to hunt down and beat the guy Apollo Creed beat to become champion.

If Mihawk gets killed or "Shanks'd", that doesn't actually change anything about Zoro's dreams. Otherwise he'd have to find a way to revive all the past great swordsmen so he could beat them too in order to become The Best Around. You can argue whether Mihawk failing to uphold his promise to remain at the peak is narratively satisfying or not, but that's unrelated to Zoro checking off World's Greatest Swordsman on his dreamboard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the issue is that if mihawk dies in a way that doesnt count as a swordfight, that promise is unfulfilled. like if wapol showed up and ate him i dont think thatd make wapol the worlds greatest swordsman, but zoro cant beat mihawk because hes dead

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am pretty sure the Cross Guild will be rivals in the final battle.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

Endorph posted:

the issue is that if mihawk dies in a way that doesnt count as a swordfight, that promise is unfulfilled. like if wapol showed up and ate him i dont think thatd make wapol the worlds greatest swordsman, but zoro cant beat mihawk because hes dead

try telling that to wapol after he's eaten him

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

notwithyourheart posted:

try telling that to wapol after he's eaten him

Mihawk just parries a guy into eating his own entire self.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shiryu will defeat Mihawk via a mix of his own sword skills and some dirty tricks, and is publicly declared the Greatest Swordsman in the World.

Zoro, knowing that a dirty cheat doesn't deserve the title and looking to avenge his mentor, duels Shiryu while holding Mihawk's big cross sword in his teeth.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Shiryu will defeat Mihawk via a mix of his own sword skills and some dirty tricks, and is publicly declared the Greatest Swordsman in the World.

Zoro, knowing that a dirty cheat doesn't deserve the title and looking to avenge his mentor, duels Shiryu while holding Mihawk's big cross sword in his teeth.

but of course, he will get the final blow with Mihawk's teeny tiny dagger

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

rannum posted:

but of course, he will get the final blow with Mihawk's teeny tiny dagger

Zoro, standing over a defeated Shiryu: I'm sorry.....this is the smallest sword I've got.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

lmao at Blackbeard having a big moment with Hancock and there's just this enormous poster of Luffy in the background.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am pretty sure the Cross Guild will be rivals in the final battle.

cross guild will get there right after luffy leaves but before the press arrives so buggy can be proclaimed pirate king

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Manatee Cannon posted:

cross guild will get there right after luffy leaves but before the press arrives so buggy can be proclaimed pirate king

Buggy will use his influence as the Pirate King to demand the people of the One Piece world raise their arms to give Luffy their energy.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
It feels like we're gonna need a flashback to this Rocky Port Incident considering every time we hear about it, it gets more important. At first we only knew it as something that happened that made Koby famous as a marine. Later we find out Law was involved in some way. Now we find out that Blackbeard was also involved and it somehow led to him taking control of that pirate party island with the big skull mountain that's his home base now. Also, incidentally, Blackbeard mentions it helped him dethrone someone named 'Ochoku" who apparently was a member of the Rocks Pirates???

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Endorph posted:

If Mihawk gets killed by a non-swordsman without having previously passed the title of greatest swordsman, then the next swordmaster has to unify the title again by defeating guys left and right who were the top ranks. Of course, practically, a new greatest swordsman is going to be dueling just a metric fuckton of sword dudes after beating Mihawk anyway.

Really the only thing that affects Zoro's dream is whether or not there is a recognized Greatest Swordsman in the World for him to take the title in one fight or not. Mihawk failing to stay as that guy is unimportant to Zoro's dream but would have effects on motivation and such for Zoro's fight.

Kind of hope Mihawk does get disarmed at some point so he and Shanks can have fun dueling again. Unless they both die, and then they can sword fight for eternity in Pirate Heaven.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I imagine it's not great but is One Piece World Red worth $4? It's super discounted on switch right now

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I dunno, I think it would just be lame if Mihawk just got merced by Shilew or whatever before Zoro got a chance to fight him at his peak. There's so much build up for it since the early days of the comic when Mihawk crushed him with a tiny sword at Baratie. He's literally the example that Zoro has been striving to surpass for the entire duration of this comic since then.

Like Mihawk can be maimed or killed afterwards by whoever, but Zoro needs to beat him up at his peak first. There's really no other character that could take his place that would be anywhere near as impactful. Now if the point of the comic is that he doesn't get to accomplish his dream by the end then fair. Gives him an excuse to stay with Luffy for more adventures in the ending or whatever.

But if he does accomplish it he's not gonna accomplish it by beating some secret super mihawk 2.0 who jumps out of a bush in the final arc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ThingOne posted:

lmao at Blackbeard having a big moment with Hancock and there's just this enormous poster of Luffy in the background.

Love that earlier in the chapter, Hancock suddenly strikes on a brilliant plan to deal with the situation the island is in... she'll marry Luffy! Only to be yelled at that this is ALWAYS her plan in every situation :allears:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I feel like we're overstating the buildup for Zoro vs Mihawk, it was set up once in the beginning of the series, touched on again pre-timeskip, but besides that neither of them were shown to be talking or thinking about the other much. So I think it's fine if the story doesn't necessarily show the duel itself, wouldn't be any worse than Yamato's bait-and-switch, at least.

It's not like after every major arc we saw Zoro caressing Mihawk's portrait besides his bed

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wrt Zoro vs Mihawk I could see Mihawk getting beat by PX-Mihawk and then Zoro beating him.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Drakkel posted:

Blackbeard mentions it helped him dethrone someone named 'Ochoku" who apparently was a member of the Rocks Pirates???

Fun fact; "Ochoku" is the literal translation, but the name is actually Wang Zhi, a name inspired by real-life Chinese pirate lord Wufeng.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Honestly I think I'm more interested in seeing Zoro and Mihawk team up and fight back to backp than seeing them fight each other at this point

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
if Blackbeard merked boa at that moment she woulda had two commanders and a handful of marine vice captains under her kill count.

probably the best showing from a warlord and if she wasn’t in love with luffy she woulda ended marineford

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

i hope zoro and mihawk have a fistfight

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

skipmyseashells posted:

if Blackbeard merked boa at that moment she woulda had two commanders and a handful of marine vice captains under her kill count.

probably the best showing from a warlord and if she wasn’t in love with luffy she woulda ended marineford

One Vice Admiral

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

skipmyseashells posted:

That moment was pretty cool for everyone involved. Boa managed to get the upper hand, Blackbeard talks to Coby like he respects him, Rayleigh comes in and saves the day with the deserved force of his reputation.

But the bit that left most of an impact on me was that Blackbeard was totally willing to kill Boa and lose his own followers for the sake of Boa's power.

Blackbeard is a scheming bastard, but he's not a puppet master. A more boring manga would have the scheming villain's plans always succeed to make them seem inevitable. But that's boring, and that's not Blackbeard. He's an opportunist. He may get hosed over, but his dream will never die- he'll find some other way and keep going.

I'm pretty sure every single plan we've seen Blackbeard attempt has been foiled in some way. All the way back to his first appearance- he wants to take out Luffy to earn his Shichibukai seat, and instead his ship gets destroyed. And he just laughs about it and keeps going. And of course the next major move we see him make is his assault on Impel Down where he gets utterly routed by Magellan. He thinks Whitebeard is going to kill him at one point and just shits himself, but he always makes it out on top.

He's not just winging it. His successes aren't just happenstance. He has plans and he's very well informed about the world, but his real strength is seizing on every advantage as it appears and laughing off the setbacks.

It was so cool to see him facing setbacks and ruthlessly improvising this chapter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
did I miss something or is “winging it” not synonymous with “improvising”?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

did I miss something or is “winging it” not synonymous with “improvising”?
Now that you mention it, yes it is. What I meant was he's not just getting lucky. For all his talk of fate and undying dreams, he still does a whole lot of lot of practical preparation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eiba posted:

That moment was pretty cool for everyone involved. Boa managed to get the upper hand, Blackbeard talks to Coby like he respects him, Rayleigh comes in and saves the day with the deserved force of his reputation.

But the bit that left most of an impact on me was that Blackbeard was totally willing to kill Boa and lose his own followers for the sake of Boa's power.

Blackbeard is a scheming bastard, but he's not a puppet master. A more boring manga would have the scheming villain's plans always succeed to make them seem inevitable. But that's boring, and that's not Blackbeard. He's an opportunist. He may get hosed over, but his dream will never die- he'll find some other way and keep going.

I'm pretty sure every single plan we've seen Blackbeard attempt has been foiled in some way. All the way back to his first appearance- he wants to take out Luffy to earn his Shichibukai seat, and instead his ship gets destroyed. And he just laughs about it and keeps going. And of course the next major move we see him make is his assault on Impel Down where he gets utterly routed by Magellan. He thinks Whitebeard is going to kill him at one point and just shits himself, but he always makes it out on top.

He's not just winging it. His successes aren't just happenstance. He has plans and he's very well informed about the world, but his real strength is seizing on every advantage as it appears and laughing off the setbacks.

It was so cool to see him facing setbacks and ruthlessly improvising this chapter.

It was not just for his power. He was willing to give up Devon and Shot because he did not think Boa would turn them back, and viewed her as too dangerous to him and his forces to let live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Drakkel posted:

It feels like we're gonna need a flashback to this Rocky Port Incident considering every time we hear about it, it gets more important. At first we only knew it as something that happened that made Koby famous as a marine. Later we find out Law was involved in some way. Now we find out that Blackbeard was also involved and it somehow led to him taking control of that pirate party island with the big skull mountain that's his home base now. Also, incidentally, Blackbeard mentions it helped him dethrone someone named 'Ochoku" who apparently was a member of the Rocks Pirates???

im not too sure how law factors into the situation, but i feel like a pretty safe assumption is ochoku was the last non emperor remnant of the rocks crew and maintained control of fullalead island, and he got caught out at rocky port or something where coby either defeated or claimed credit for defeating him. that opened up a power vacuum that blackbeard was able to take advantage of and seize control of fullalead for himself.