Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ok ch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Kuango64/status/1568364209196486656?t=_Yrmejm2eTe8XyGVFSUAXg&s=19

Apparently the guy who made the big One Piece book has a history of essentially plagiarizing comics without attribution under the excuse of being art.

We call that "lichtensteining"

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/_1992_K/status/1568206682064572416?t=0hN1xTbehZ52K-XZJ-EwCw&s=19

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

goblin week posted:

We call that "lichtensteining"

I was about to make the same connection, lol.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014032

Chapter is officially out

And what a Chapter :allears:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I think this is the first time we actually see Blackbeard use haki.

It strikes me as odd that in a series of chapters with big bounty reveals, we still don’t get Rayleigh’s.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Man I like, appreciate the details and all, but at this point the little scene with Yamato didn't give us any more information we didn't already assume and it only really twisted the knife more :sigh:

Rest of the chapter was good.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think Teach comes across as a lot more straightforward in the official vs the fantranslation.

So he's just 'Well, you're a threat and I can't trust your word. Time to say goodnight.'

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

i think the official translation of this line is a little better than the fan translation but man, Vasco Shot and the rest of Blackbeard's crew are gross

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I think Teach comes across as a lot more straightforward in the official vs the fantranslation.

So he's just 'Well, you're a threat and I can't trust your word. Time to say goodnight.'

I got the same straightforward vibe in the fantranslation too

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The official translation implies that Blackbeard still needs her dead to take the power going by Vasco’s statement there. Fan scanlation was a bit more vague I think

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I wonder if taking someone’s fruit is just such a huge strain to the victim that it’s a significant risk of death which is why they’re being ambiguous.

It’s definitely a given that taking Brook’s fruit would kill him though. :ohdear:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

rannum posted:

The yamato stuff is still frustrating but it was at least nice to see the flashback we should have gotten like 3 chapters ago. The Marco stuff was cute. The rest of the chapter was incredible; the new pacifistas are insane

My guess is these last few chapters have all been stuff that Oda planned to be "officially" in Wano but they had to be cut for time so this is what we get instead. IIRC 1057 was the last thing he drew before going on a month-long bender in the U-S-of-A (at least I assume that's what he did) and for whatever reason he decided anything happening in Wano had to be done by then.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
oda having to do film red ruined the ending of wano im telling you guys

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like Oda's direct involvement in Film Red was already finished like a year ago.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

RuBisCO posted:

Man I like, appreciate the details and all, but at this point the little scene with Yamato didn't give us any more information we didn't already assume and it only really twisted the knife more :sigh:

Rest of the chapter was good.

Really? I thought his originally given explanation for why he changed his mind kinda sucked, so I appreciated knowing it was a lie told to protect Momo’s honor, and he was actually just motivated to protect Wano.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Cloks posted:

i think the official translation of this line is a little better than the fan translation but man, Vasco Shot and the rest of Blackbeard's crew are gross

Somehow this sounds creepier if you read it in his dub voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcmpEBnEOZ0

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

My only complaint with the Wano scenes in this chapter was, why weren't these in Wano? It was good to see Luffy talk to Marco and get an explanation for Yamato not coming, at least.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

zoro defeats mihawk but isnt going to kill him, then mihawk gets stabbed while hes down, i guess? but after beating mihawk shiliew wouldnt really seem like much of a challenge

Maybe Shiliew ganks Mihawk at the last minute, awakens his devil fruit and Zoro has to become the first swordsman in the world to cut nothing

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maybe Shiliew ganks Mihawk at the last minute, awakens his devil fruit and Zoro has to become the first swordsman in the world to cut nothing

He cuts atoms, becoming Roronoa Zoro The Atomic Swordsman.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Fecha posted:

Really? I thought his originally given explanation for why he changed his mind kinda sucked, so I appreciated knowing it was a lie told to protect Momo’s honor, and he was actually just motivated to protect Wano.

It's not really an improvement to go from "I wanna know the people of Wano" to "I was scared of Shanks". Oda might as well have shown a retroactive panel of Yamato getting conked out by his Conqueror's Haki.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
now I’m happy yamato isn’t on the crew with these reactions

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ever Disappointing posted:

My only complaint with the Wano scenes in this chapter was, why weren't these in Wano? It was good to see Luffy talk to Marco and get an explanation for Yamato not coming, at least.

It really feels like oda's editors saw all the complaints about the last chapter of wano online, told oda as he was working on this chapter, and he decided to cram them into this chapter at the beginning. It would both explain why the Amazon lily scene feels particularly condensed, and why these bits weren't in wano proper and after the bounty reveal chapter. It's basically Oda doing damage control. Which, I appreciate. It would have been better for these scenes to be in wano itself, but it's definitely a case of better late than never, especially in salvaging Yamato's character arc a little bit.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Zoro’s true final boss has always been Down D. Stairs, anyways

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Guys I finally found box set 1 of one piece. I can start rereading hurray!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Delphisage posted:

It's not really an improvement to go from "I wanna know the people of Wano" to "I was scared of Shanks". Oda might as well have shown a retroactive panel of Yamato getting conked out by his Conqueror's Haki.

It's nothing about being scared? He's not afraid of shanks, it was Shank's Haki that scared off the admiral. Yamato is saying that Wano would have been in bad shape if it weren't for someone like that being around. He's admitting that Wano right now can't protect itself and so he has to stay to help defend it.

It does feel like a last minute thing because Oda changed his mind but as an excuse it make more sense than Yamato staying because he wants to sight see.

Though if Pluton is involved in the final arc, it probably wont be long until Yamato is back in the story anyways. After Blackbeard/Crossguild/etc attacks them for the weapon (whoever Caribou is leaking information to).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Somehow this sounds creepier if you read it in his dub voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcmpEBnEOZ0

some of those marines sound like theyre voiced by interns

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m always surprised at how attached people are to Yamato, he has a cool design but he’s not that interesting and wouldn’t really add much to the rest of the story

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hatty posted:

I’m always surprised at how attached people are to Yamato, he has a cool design but he’s not that interesting and wouldn’t really add much to the rest of the story
to be fair 'not that interesting and wont add much to the rest of the story' already describes half the straw hats post-timeskip

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s true, poor Franky

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Julias posted:

It really feels like oda's editors saw all the complaints about the last chapter of wano online, told oda as he was working on this chapter, and he decided to cram them into this chapter at the beginning. It would both explain why the Amazon lily scene feels particularly condensed, and why these bits weren't in wano proper and after the bounty reveal chapter. It's basically Oda doing damage control. Which, I appreciate. It would have been better for these scenes to be in wano itself, but it's definitely a case of better late than never, especially in salvaging Yamato's character arc a little bit.
That's not enough time. Yamato only made staying official 3 weeks ago.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if Blackbeard wants Hancock's Devil Fruit not because he wants to use it, but to prevent the Navy from obtaining it.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

hatty posted:

That’s true, poor Franky

Franky got robbed hard in Wano.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

No Wave posted:

That's not enough time. Yamato only made staying official 3 weeks ago.

The chapter officially came out 3 weeks ago. It got leaked over a full week beforehand, way earlier than they usually do. Over a month ago at this point. As far as manga production, mangaka are usually 2-3 chapters ahead of what is currently published, but I'm not sure how oda's breaks factor into production, if he just takes off the full week, or works at a more relaxed pace to do 3 weeks worth of issues in 4 weeks time. It does seem to line up with him working on this chapter when people started complaining about that chapter online in my opinion. :shrug:

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The Yamato scene feels weird and I honestly wish it wasn't there, because it feels like it just snuffed out the last hope he might join later during a big final battle arc to "lol gonna be on this island for the rest of the story, maybe I'll leave in the epilogue? anyway, just do the vivi honorary crewmate thing with me too kthxbai."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Delphisage posted:

Franky got robbed hard in Wano.

Franky beat one of the Flying Six, at least. But yeah, I don't think Franky really had any character moments in Wano (and neither did Usopp or Brook). Which shouldn't be surprising, given how many characters were around.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

Franky beat one of the Flying Six, at least. But yeah, I don't think Franky really had any character moments in Wano (and neither did Usopp or Brook). Which shouldn't be surprising, given how many characters were around.

Franky ran over Big Mom’s face with a motorcycle then taunted her about it

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Julias posted:

That was my first thought, but the more I think about it the more the presentation we got makes sense if you assume it's about Momo, not Yamato.

Yamato is really strong and cool, but Momonosuke needs to demonstrate himself to have development in his character arc. He tells Yamato not to intervene because we need to know Momo has grown, not to free Yamato. Note that other cool-and-strong character Kinemon was conveniently visiting his wife during the incident and also couldn't help. It was a conflict specifically to showcase the progress and growth of Momonosuke.

The chapter where the Strawhats leave Yamato behind was also the chapter where they leave Momonsuke behind. That was the emotional story Oda wanted to present. We want Luffy and Momonosuke to part ways with clear hearts. Yamato gives a half-true alternate explanation to kind of sweep that issue under the rug for now so we don't need to be feeling as much doubt about Momo's growth during his emotional farewell to Luffy.

Now that we have experienced that departure we can return to Yamato who is a responsible friend who wants to protect Momo's pride and the country of Wano.

I'll agree that the whole thing feels like a bizarre emotional roller coaster told in the wrong order... if you only care about Yamato. But from Oda's perspective this had to be Momonosuke's story, and Yamato was only a supporting player in it. I'm obviously a bigger fan of one than the other, but I can see how Momonosuke's story is something that kind of deserves the spotlight considering how long he's been with the crew and how important he is to the world.

This does make it slightly less likely that Yamato will show up in a couple arcs, and slightly more likely that he'll only join the crew for Laugh Tale itself or something, which sucks, but it also makes a lot more sense overall.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I feel like Franky should have had more to do with the Pluton reveal since that was his whole "thing" in Water 7. Having it boil down to one reaction shot after the fact feels weirdly understated for how much of an influence the potential thread of Pluton had on his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like Oda's direct involvement in Film Red was already finished like a year ago.

What they mean I think is that coinciding Wano's ending with Shanks appearance with Film red's release caused the ending to be rushed.