Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
If Lihito actually achieves the potential he is implied to have due to being a disciple of The Beard and crawls into Top Tier during this tournament, I will forgive a lot of the misgivings I have about Omega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Cosmo was the disciple of a top tier.......

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, but Cosmo sucks. :colbert:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, but Cosmo sucks. :colbert:

speaking of which, when is dudley showing up

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

No Wave posted:

Cosmo was the disciple of a top tier.......

His mentor seems to have given up on actually getting stronger unlike Joji or Gensai. Not saying that's a bad thing when the man is capable of casually dislocating joints with a flick of his own wrist, but he doesn't have that hunger for more.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Brought To You By posted:

His mentor seems to have given up on actually getting stronger unlike Joji or Gensai. Not saying that's a bad thing when the man is capable of casually dislocating joints with a flick of his own wrist, but he doesn't have that hunger for more.

He is getting stronger, but only in the figure skating rink.

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Omega has been carefully keeping Gensai away from fights so far.

I wonder if he will continue to not be involved in any fights for the rest of the series, to preserve his mystique as the unreachable champion of the Ashura tournament.

Or if he'll be jobbed out to Shen Wulong or something to enhance the threat level of the new ultimate villain is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gensai will be defeated by Wulong, but then Wulong will be defeated by a tag team of Mokichi Robinson and Murobuchi Gozo

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Gensai will be defeated by Wulong, but then Wulong will be defeated by a tag team of Mokichi Robinson and Murobuchi Gozo

Kaneda is clearly being groomed by Ohma himself to be the weapon to take down the Connector once and for all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wulong will be defeated by 80 unmentioned Nikos

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I will defeat wulong

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Crymetimeboys posted:

Omega has been carefully keeping Gensai away from fights so far.

I wonder if he will continue to not be involved in any fights for the rest of the series, to preserve his mystique as the unreachable champion of the Ashura tournament.

Or if he'll be jobbed out to Shen Wulong or something to enhance the threat level of the new ultimate villain is.

I don't think Gensai really has any real reason to seek out fights at the moment. He's not an active Kengan fighter, he's probably set for life after winning the tournament and doesn't need to assassinate people anymore, and he is not involved in any Worm bullshit. Also, he's 55 at this point, and slowly but surely approaching the time he can't do life or death matches any more.

He's already beaten everyone worth his time, aside from Rolon who lost to Ohma, who Gensai defeated, and does not seem to be in any hurry to have a rematch.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The only current plausible fight Gensai might even want is a rematch against Ohma now that Ohma isn't on his last legs and dying of heart trauma.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
An Ohma vs Gensai rematch seems possible but probably the sort of thing where Ohma loses again or the result is left unstated. I don't think Gensai is going to lose a fight again even if he is seen fighting, but it's been implied a couple times that he's still hoping to fight someone he can view as a true peer before he starts declining to age, and during their fight lamented that he was fighting Ohma on the brink of death and not as his potential best.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gensai will finally fight his true peer in the form of Rihito in 1-2 years.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Ytlaya posted:

You know, I'd be really happy if that was done as a serious turn.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ytlaya posted:

Their duel will take place in the form of a statue carving contest using only their fingers.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fuckin' love the side chapters and skits.

https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/nxRMXYt/1/1/

That second page is just too funny.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

gensai will job to the connector

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

If Lihito actually achieves the potential he is implied to have due to being a disciple of The Beard and crawls into Top Tier during this tournament, I will forgive a lot of the misgivings I have about Omega.

You misspelled 'If Murdercop ever gets any meaningful comeuppance', but I get the sentiment.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Fuckin' love the side chapters and skits.

https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/nxRMXYt/1/1/

An interesting thing about the character profile for Rolon: The author states that Ohma, Raian and Rolon are all roughly at the same level, but it states nothing about where Rolon stands in comparison to Gensai.

I am now convinced that the reason why Kuroki called off their fight all those years ago wasn't just because the target had been assassinated but he figured that if they kept fighting he'd win, but if he left, Rolon would improve and become a more equal match in the future. Letting him go around with reputation of achieving a draw against the Gensai was a small price compared to that, since he was going to get paid anyway since someone else chopped up the target while he was fighting Rolon.

Also, the second page had me in stitches.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I mean at least they are aware of how janky those three looked in their fights.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Chapter 175

I like it when punchmans are friends.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

real pet peeve when they depict every brazilian city as rio de janeiro

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Kure Clan invented BJJ
Koga uses Niko Style

FFS, Sandro

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Warden posted:

Chapter 175

I like it when punchmans are friends.

At this point why doesn't everyone just learn the Niko style?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

JamMasterJim posted:

Kure Clan invented BJJ
Koga uses Niko Style

FFS, Sandro

The Kure are named after Gracies so honestly the Gracie stand-ins being a Kure spinoff makes sense lol

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Hell yeah this fight looks sick

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

At this point why doesn't everyone just learn the Niko style?

Everyone does, whether they know it or not.
"Clenched his muscles? Niko style.
Redirected attacks? Niko style.
Face to fist attack? Niko style.
Get high blood pressure and die? Niko Style

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JamMasterJim posted:

Everyone does, whether they know it or not.
"Clenched his muscles? Niko style.
Redirected attacks? Niko style.
Face to fist attack? Niko style.
Get high blood pressure and die? Niko Style

Someone's fat father dies of a heart attack

He has finally mastered the Niko style..

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I thought I was living unhealthy lifestyle, but it turns out I was just cultivating Niko Style all along.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Koga collecting teachers like Pokémon cards

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Lmao at Kazzy and the girls having beach clothes on Săo Paulo, and also at the Niko style, again. Other than that, the fight looks promising.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

JamMasterJim posted:

Kure Clan invented BJJ
Koga uses Niko Style

FFS, Sandro

No the Guy who invented BJJ stole from the Kure clan and made improvements, and I guess his daughter or something shagged the Kure guy.

Also Koga using Niko style is fine, his whole thing is he has the ultra instinct eyes and has been learning from literally EVERYONE else on the cast.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't like Koga. Other characters have lives and histories with their fighting and he's just Mr talent. Baki and Ippo do a good job because even the gifted talents aren't just Good.

(I do like Ryuki ofc)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 17, 2022

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I feel like Koga has gotten a decent amount of page time showing just how much work and effort he’s been pouring into getting stronger. He is just a normie compared to the absolute psychopaths, insane people and genetic freaks we got to know in the first series.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The Purgatory tournament followed by the time skip totally short-circuited that arc, though, as well as some potentially interesting character developments. Before Purgatory, he'd just barely cracked into the lowest rank of Association by beating some jobber, and his friendship with Ryuki was fraying over the latter's latent murderousness. Now -- doodly-doodly-doodly -- it's like, what, a year later and Koga's suddently a top contender, and despite who-knows-what-all happening in the intervening time, he's buds with Ryuki again and Kengan keeps letting Ryuki compete despite his clear intentions to be Murdercop Junior. It's just like Sandro couldn't handle the more challenging middle bits of the arc so he just bypassed it altogether.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Are there popularity polls or anything we can check? My personal theory is that after a volume or two editorial was just like “everyone wants all the old characters and not these new guys, put the spotlight back on the faves”. I mean the creators are huge martial arts nerds, they’d probably love to go deep on a character with fist eye learning everyone’s moves.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

No the Guy who invented BJJ stole from the Kure clan and made improvements, and I guess his daughter or something shagged the Kure guy.

Also Koga using Niko style is fine, his whole thing is he has the ultra instinct eyes and has been learning from literally EVERYONE else on the cast.

Maybe, but it'[s a bit annoying. Learning from so many teachers and the moment grappling, ground game, throw etc comes up, we do not get a flashback to say Kureishi and thinking of fellow student cosmo. We are back to Niko style swallowing nearly everything. At least it's unlikely he will use removal or advance (for now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Now -- doodly-doodly-doodly -- it's like, what, a year later and Koga's suddently a top contender, and despite who-knows-what-all happening in the intervening time, he's buds with Ryuki again and Kengan keeps letting Ryuki compete despite his clear intentions to be Murdercop Junior. It's just like Sandro couldn't handle the more challenging middle bits of the arc so he just bypassed it altogether.

2 years 3 months+ since KvP I believe. It showed him talking to Ryuki following the first 3 month time skip which made it clear he thought Ryuki was shook by killing Naiden and taking time away to cope (actually secretly killing worm but Koga didn’t know that)