Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
luffy and usopp singing the national anthem with 4kids means they remember 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

Can't wait

For Buggy's Pacifista to be the ultimate weapon.

That would be funny. Watch as it uses his powers in a much stronger light.

Funky Valentine posted:

Why are they kids. Vegapunk what are you doing.

I would imagine that they are mostly organic and have been growing up in secret up until now.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I feel like Franky should have had more to do with the Pluton reveal since that was his whole "thing" in Water 7. Having it boil down to one reaction shot after the fact feels weirdly understated for how much of an influence the potential thread of Pluton had on his life.

That's a fair point. Franky really should have had more involvement in that. Hopefully in the upcoming arcs he'll get to do something. Maybe at least he'll get to interact with Vegapunk?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Silver2195 posted:

Franky beat one of the Flying Six, at least. But yeah, I don't think Franky really had any character moments in Wano (and neither did Usopp or Brook). Which shouldn't be surprising, given how many characters were around.

Franky beat a placeholder Tobi Roppo with nothing notable about him, when he should've been the one fighting Queen instead of Sanji.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Franky and Chopper could’ve teamed up and beaten Queen together as a medical mechanical team or Jack could’ve come back and not instantly lose again to give Franky and Brook something to do

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
King and Queen were the designated "second-and-third in command epic superhuman and weird guy that Zoro and Sanji respectively end up fighting" that almost every arc since Arlong Park has been obligated to have. It was never, ever, going to go down any other way.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
These lunarian pacifistas seem to lend some credence to the idea that Vegapunk really was trying to get Kaido's oni-ness when he accidentally made the dragon devil fruit.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Cloks posted:

i think the official translation of this line is a little better than the fan translation but man, Vasco Shot and the rest of Blackbeard's crew are gross

thats the thing about them right? the whole Blackbeard crew is the most really pirate-y crew out there :allears:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Delphisage posted:

Franky beat a placeholder Tobi Roppo with nothing notable about him, when he should've been the one fighting Queen instead of Sanji.

Being a triceratops is very notable. :colbert:

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

frajaq posted:

thats the thing about them right? the whole Blackbeard crew is the most really pirate-y crew out there :allears:

Nope, blackbeards crew killed absalom and freed drum island which makes him better than luffy

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cloks posted:

i think the official translation of this line is a little better than the fan translation but man, Vasco Shot and the rest of Blackbeard's crew are gross

This bit felt hella out of place

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

skipmyseashells posted:

Nope, blackbeards crew killed absalom and freed drum island which makes him better than luffy

They killed Absalom but uhhhh

Cloks posted:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They killed Absalom for not being horny enough it seems

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

skipmyseashells posted:

oda having to do film red ruined the ending of wano im telling you guys

drat you Shanks

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cloks posted:

Yeah I agree they should just leave "nakama" untranslated

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Rody One Half posted:

This bit felt hella out of place

They are pirates (and "bad" pirates in the One Piece universe). It feels in place

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I've seen people mention haki, but what if Blackbeard and Coby are simply Not Horny?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mabels big day posted:

lmfao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

I've seen people mention haki, but what if Blackbeard and Coby are simply Not Horny?
what if theyre gay

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I know they changed it to Color of the Supreme King, but what if Luffy overpowers Blackbeard's Conqueror's Haki with his own "awakened" version of it: Liberator's Haki?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

Blackbeard specifically is horny and implied in this chapter that Haki can’t block her power. He just grabbed her and turned off her power with the Dark Dark Fruit before she had the chance to use it on him.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mabels big day posted:

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Haki sucks!!!!!!!!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

can someone explain the nakama thing? i don't think i've seen it outside of this thread

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

what if theyre gay

:hmmyes:

I'm hyped for the plot moving forward. shits going down

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Halo is good because it annoys people for no reason. Also I like the black lightning.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Len posted:

can someone explain the nakama thing? i don't think i've seen it outside of this thread
you can’t explain nakama, it’s too complex

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Blackbeard specifically is horny and implied in this chapter that Haki can’t block her power. He just grabbed her and turned off her power with the Dark Dark Fruit before she had the chance to use it on him.

Coby however, is gay

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

you can’t explain nakama, it’s too complex

I love that even that explanation has no actual explanation as to why nakama itself is a special word in the setting of One Piece and provides several alternatives any reasonable localizer would use.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's illegal to translate a single word slightly differently depending on context, you have to have every word be 1:1 all the time

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nakama is an important word to One Piece because maybe you want to translate it as "crew" or something at certain points in relation to the Straw Hat Pirates but then if you do that when you translate it as "friend" in other situations where saying crew wouldn't make sense you lost a bit of the paralells being drawn through use of the same term.

This is a sort of complication that is obviously not unique to One Piece in any way but will come up commonly in translation. Of course leaving the word as is, is a poor solution at any rate.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Coby just didn't have his glasses on but also he's gay

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Blackbeard is simply an rear end man

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Blackbeard, in another parallel to Luffy, is only horny for adventure.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Coby is a true bro and would never even think lustfully about Luffy's wife. That's why he's immune to Hancock.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Silver2195 posted:

Blackbeard really must be way more physically powerful than we've witnessed if he could grab Hancock before she could react. I mean, she's fast.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mabels big day posted:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Yamato wouldn’t get turned to stone because he’s acesexual :grin:

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Bleck posted:

Blackbeard really must be way more physically powerful than we've witnessed if he could grab Hancock before she could react. I mean, she's fast.

teach is just channeling dat lucky roux energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
It's not being not horny or gay.

Koby simply is a true marine above everyone else and he thinks only of "Justice"