Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Qwijib0 posted:

a console-style humdifier is probably the right solution-- they're designed to do large spaces and have sizable tanks so you won't have to fill it as often.

like so https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I9YFXSS

thanks! i'll check it out. fortunately it's been humid enough for the last week or so that i haven't had to rush out and get anything. i guess winters here are decently humid. i know the summers are like 3% humidity or something obscene. maybe i'll just need to have the humidifier running for summer, not sure yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

So the toilet tank in a bathroom leaked while we were gone. It looked like the toilet fill valve got stuck, causing water to keep filling, but the mystery was why the water wasn't going into the overflow tube. A bit of debugging revealed the reason: the overflow tube is too high, so it drains out the non-watertight hole for the flush handle first. Here's a picture, although, it's not that clear what the heights are:

So it seems like whoever replaced the previous overflow tube didn't bother to cut it down to the right height. Here are the options that I thought of:

1) Cut off the top of the overflow tube to the right height. However, if I do this, there won't be anything for the refill tube to attach to.
2) Replace the overflow tube. But that'd require taking off the tank, which might be complicated since this toilet is fairly old.

Is there anything else I can do? Maybe it suffices to cut a few holes in the tube at the right height or something?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do you really need to take the tank apart to replace that? I’ve never done it but I would have guessed that it just unscrews from the bottom of the tank.

Anyway, least invasive modification may be to cut some slots down from the top of the pipe to an elevation below the problematic hole with a hacksaw blade or something small with a cutting wheel?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's been a minute since I've installed a toilet repair kit oh gently caress I just cursed myself but I distinctly remember there being instructions to cut the tube - so yeah, whoever installed that last didn't get why it had to be cut.

It looks just aged enough that I wouldn't attempt the fix without having a whole replacement kit on hand, because that tube looks like it might snap when you try to cut it. But then yes, I'd attempt the repair without pulling the tank first.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's been a minute since I've installed a toilet repair kit oh gently caress I just cursed myself but I distinctly remember there being instructions to cut the tube - so yeah, whoever installed that last didn't get why it had to be cut.

It looks just aged enough that I wouldn't attempt the fix without having a whole replacement kit on hand, because that tube looks like it might snap when you try to cut it. But then yes, I'd attempt the repair without pulling the tank first.

Nah attempt the repair and then drive to the store after it breaks like a real man.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No one has every bought replacement parts for a toilet while still having a working toilet.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

tangy yet delightful posted:

Nah attempt the repair and then drive to the store after it breaks like a real man.

Attempt the repair, then flush for a few days with a home depot bucket filled in the tub.

Then go to the store.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's a double action hinge but I doubt you're going to find one on a shelf in the size you want.

Rolling your own from plate brass doesn't seem like it'd be that hard though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvK3Dsvgk_g

Thanks for that! And I see what you mean, all the ones on Google Image Search have a pretty short midsection.

Guy definitely has more tools than I have access to/am willing to buy (I rent a 1BR and am moving overseas in less than a year), but fortunately I'm planning on doing a metalworking course early next year so might be able to have a crack at building that jig.

PainterofCrap posted:

You could use four hinges: one pair up top & the other below. Does not have to be a single compound unit.

I'm a little tired after a full workday so might not be visualising what you're talking about correctly, but the wooden piece above the ground glass back that the hinge spans has to stay fixed in place (it acts as a guide/retaining clip for the film holder).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Thanks for that! And I see what you mean, all the ones on Google Image Search have a pretty short midsection.

Guy definitely has more tools than I have access to/am willing to buy (I rent a 1BR and am moving overseas in less than a year), but fortunately I'm planning on doing a metalworking course early next year so might be able to have a crack at building that jig.

I'm a little tired after a full workday so might not be visualising what you're talking about correctly, but the wooden piece above the ground glass back that the hinge spans has to stay fixed in place (it acts as a guide/retaining clip for the film holder).

No, I see what you're saying, now. So the backplate hinges up & over the strip it's laying over. Pulls out from the top so the bottom can be lifted out of the groove. I can't visualize why that is important to the function, but I get it. And replacing that hinge would be difficult. I could see fabricating them out of two - one hinge set with a long plate, the other short - cut & welded or brazed together.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

No, I see what you're saying, now. So the backplate hinges up & over the strip it's laying over. Pulls out from the top so the bottom can be lifted out of the groove. I can't visualize why that is important to the function, but I get it. And replacing that hinge would be difficult. I could see fabricating them out of two - one hinge set with a long plate, the other short - cut & welded or brazed together.

You could maybe just get two T-Strap hinges and then attach them together on the T since they should be long enough that you can get to whatever length you need.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I had to take a mouse apart to fix it. What kind of glue would be best to put the little rubber pads back on? Something permanent but not too permanent in case I need to take it apart again.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lysandus posted:

I had to take a mouse apart to fix it. What kind of glue would be best to put the little rubber pads back on? Something permanent but not too permanent in case I need to take it apart again.

Elmers. It's a little flexible which might help it stay but still be removable. Why did you take the pads off? Hidden screw?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm gonna say double sided tape.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mouse manufacturers use adhesive that's similar to double sided tape since it's thin. If you have a popular gaming mouse you can probably buy new feet/skids for it in either PTFE to replace what you had, or glass if you want super smooth but more expensive. There's a lot of options on amazon or ebay. If you don't want to buy one then yeah, I'd try the double sided tape or something similar. Don't use super glue since it would be a challenge to remove later. Elmer's may work, although I don't know how well it would bond to ptfe or plastic.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I've used rubber cement with success in the past.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have some guys installing some siding right now. There's window in the front wall of my house that had been added by previous owners. We had the windows replaced 6 years ago, and they were retrofit, but those guys said nothing about what was going on.

Bottom windows came with the house when it was built. These are framed normally and correctly despite my drawing. The top window was added later by someone. Black are studs, blue are windows.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Elmers. It's a little flexible which might help it stay but still be removable. Why did you take the pads off? Hidden screw?

Yeah a screw. I never would have thought of regular old elmers.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lysandus posted:

Yeah a screw. I never would have thought of regular old elmers.

Also the person who suggested rubber cement is the answer, but what a nightmare material to get a thin smear of. Either way, whatever you have on hand is probably "good enough."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Whenever I pull the feet off a mouse (logitechs, mostly) there’s enough goo left on them to keep them in place when I just press them back on. The mouse spends all day resting on top of them anyway

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

haveblue posted:

Whenever I pull the feet off a mouse
You monster

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

Also the person who suggested rubber cement is the answer, but what a nightmare material to get a thin smear of. Either way, whatever you have on hand is probably "good enough."

I use a toothpick. It's so small it can't pick up much of the cement and the rigidity aides in application. It doesn't take much.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PremiumSupport posted:

I use a toothpick. It's so small it can't pick up much of the cement and the rigidity aides in application. It doesn't take much.

It is Satan's adhesive.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

H110Hawk posted:

It is Satan's adhesive.

No.

That’s expanding foam.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

No.

That’s expanding foam.

Technically not an adhesive, I would say it's more of Satan's diet coke and mentos enemas. :v:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

H110Hawk posted:

Technically not an adhesive,

I take it you've never gotten it anywhere except exactly where you want it to go.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

I take it you've never gotten it anywhere except exactly where you want it to go.

I take it you've never seen... Nevermind.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Technically not an adhesive, I would say it's more of Satan's diet coke and mentos enemas. :v:

Isn't it? It sticks to skin worse than CA and is harder to get off. It's like polyurethane glue with extra foaming agents.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 16, 2022

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I was making a basic joke about how it's not marketed as an adhesive to be able to chain on the super basic joke after about that poo poo getting everywhere and being a nightmare to clean up when it goes wrong.

:negative:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

:glomp:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have to install a epdm rubber boot to flash a vent pipe. "manufacturers guidelines" recommend using epdm primer to prepare the surface. Conveniently, the manufacturer sells epdm primer for $50/gal

is there a substitute I can use instead?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Our walk in shower is original to the house (20 years) and looking like it needs to be resealed. It's also been leaking around the outside corners and weird spots I never was able to figure out why.

When doing research on sealing these I ean across that in most cases when the ledge the door/frame is on leans inward typically it's left unsealed to let water drain into the shower. This actually has silicone on the inside of the door from whoever did it last, would that explain the weird leaking from trapping water inside the frame and should I just scrape that out?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bob Mundon posted:

Our walk in shower is original to the house (20 years) and looking like it needs to be resealed. It's also been leaking around the outside corners and weird spots I never was able to figure out why.

When doing research on sealing these I ean across that in most cases when the ledge the door/frame is on leans inward typically it's left unsealed to let water drain into the shower. This actually has silicone on the inside of the door from whoever did it last, would that explain the weird leaking from trapping water inside the frame and should I just scrape that out?

Not to be dismissive here, but early 2000s 20 year old construction would explain this. And it's almost definitely so bad it's time to take this down to the studs.

What do you need here? Is this your long term home that you want to fix right? Or are you just trying to keep this together for a few years?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
It's our long term house. Wasn't an issue when we moved in (watched him check under the carpet all around there for leaks). The sealant that's starting to look iffy is white, that and a couple other spots are clear, in guessing they did that prepping the house for sale, so probably just looking at a couple years of that not 20.

Am I probably thinking right the sealant on the inside is causing that?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bob Mundon posted:

Am I probably thinking right the sealant on the inside is causing that?

I have no idea what you're trying to describe here. You're probably right, but you're probably looking at flipper level fixups done to hide bigger problems.

I would not expect an original builder 20 year old shower stall to be serviceable still unless this was a custom home that somebody spent big bucks on.

You really need to include pictures and probably then poke around and provide results to get a real opinion via the forums.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I have to install a epdm rubber boot to flash a vent pipe. "manufacturers guidelines" recommend using epdm primer to prepare the surface. Conveniently, the manufacturer sells epdm primer for $50/gal

is there a substitute I can use instead?

I have had good luck looking the MSDS for whatever and look up it's composition, and find the nearest match at the hardware store, usually in the PVC section.

For EDPM primer it might be in the roofing section, but here's a random one I found:

• 64742-89-8
    Solvent naphtha, petroleum, light
    - 7-13%
  • Trade Secret Isophorone Diisocyanate 0.5-1.5%
  • 108-88-3 Toluene 7-13%
  • Trade Secret Chlorinated polypropylene 0.1-1%
  • 98-56-6 PCBTF 60-100%
  • 67-63-0 Anhydrous Isopropanol 0.1-1%

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Hello friends!

I worked up the gumption today to finally run and install some network cables and coax for my basement gaming setup and TV. Everything was pretty painless, but I have a few questions about the best course of action now to repair the aftereffects of my labors.

Here's a picture of how things look now, with comments below:

1. The most obvious thing that needs to be fixed is the hole in the wall. The box I bought is one of those ones that has the angled nails in it, which ended up requiring me to cut more drywall out to the right so I could get an angle to hammer the nails in. The hole I cut to the right of the box is approximately the same size as the box and the piece of drywall I saved from when I cut the initial hole. Is this piece still useful in any way? What should I do to patch the hole? Buy that mesh stuff and plaster/sand/primer/paint, use drywall tape, something else? If I reuse the piece of drywall I have I'm not sure how to adequately secure it in place; my Idiots Guide to DIY says I should be anchoring it to a stud but the hole is right in between two studs (and I obviously can't reach the stud to the left because the box is there).
  2. The wallplate is obviously crooked, which is because the box itself is slightly crooked. Getting an angle to drive the nails in was really difficult. I was able to drive the bottom nail in eventually by using my drill and a screw to drill a pilot hole and then using a screwdriver as the strike surface to drive the nail in, with only moderate damage to my fingers. Unfortunately the top nail is being driven into a knot in the stud and I also wasn't able to find an angle to drill a pilot hole for that nail, so it's not driven fully into the stud, therefore the box is crooked. Is there a better tool I can use to provide a strike surface for the hammer? Something like https://www.amazon.com/Nailed-Tool-Perfect-anyone-hammer/dp/B075RND2Q7 seems like it would be perfect, except it's not in stock.
  3. I suspect I probably could've used a different easier-to-install type of box for this low-voltage use case (Ethernet and television coax) that wouldn't have required all these shenanigans with nailing it to the stud and whatnot. Is there a more appropriate type of box I could have used that would just like anchor into the drywall?

Thanks! I look forward to Motronic telling me about my mistakes so I can learn some new things.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I'll let more knowledgeable posters talk about the rest of it, but I can tell you that the reason the box was so hard to install is that you bought a box that is intended to be installed when the framing is exposed, before drywall goes up. If you look up "old work box" you'll see boxes intended to be installed without nailing into the framing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
a 90 degree drill attachment will be handy if you do more of these.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

A 1-gang low voltage bracket would have allowed you to bypass the box entirely, so long as you’re just doing coax/Ethernet. Then you just mount the plate to that.

To fix your gap there - small thin piece of wood, angle that in (put it in so it’s vertical), attach drywall screws above and below the spot where the hole is, then pop the piece you cut out back against that, and slap a drywall screw in that. See at about 7:08 in this video for a demonstration:

https://youtu.be/qbupCzSPW9o&t=7m8s

Dr. Habibi fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

I have had good luck looking the MSDS for whatever and look up it's composition, and find the nearest match at the hardware store, usually in the PVC section.

For EDPM primer it might be in the roofing section, but here's a random one I found:

• 64742-89-8
    Solvent naphtha, petroleum, light
    - 7-13%
  • Trade Secret Isophorone Diisocyanate 0.5-1.5%
  • 108-88-3 Toluene 7-13%
  • Trade Secret Chlorinated polypropylene 0.1-1%
  • 98-56-6 PCBTF 60-100%
  • 67-63-0 Anhydrous Isopropanol 0.1-1%

Ah! Very clever. I ended up using a different flashing product to get around it but this is a real useful tip that I'll use in the near future. :cheers: