Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm thinking of doing a Vermouth Week where I buy the 3 or 4 sweet vermouths I've been meaning to try (Carpano Antica, Cocchi, Punt e Mes, and kill off the Dolin I have in the fridge) and just do "same cocktail, different vermouth" a bunch of times.

AKA Negroni Week I guess :v:

if you lack an unwavering commitment to alcoholism you may end up with several half-empty bottles of stale vermouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

LionYeti posted:

Was experimenting went to the liquor store for allspice dram for this christmas party cocktail I was working on and was introduced to this https://distillery291.com/the-decc-citrus-clove-liquor/ . Its a really nice Citrus and Clove Liquer very christmassy.

The cocktail I built and called The Party Monster
2 oz Gin (I have Aviation but you barely taste the gin so you could probably put decent vodka in this instead)
1 freshly squeezed lime
1 oz The Decc
.5 oz Cranberry Syrup
3 dashes aromatic bitters

Its complex yet totally sippable accessable and complicated. Any other recipes that might work with a citrus and clove liquer?
you could probably try it out in anything that calls for falernum, but depending on how strongly flavored the decc is you’ll want to finagle the other ingredients around to account for it. I bet making a corn and oil with it would be tasty, at least.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Clark Nova posted:

if you lack an unwavering commitment to alcoholism you may end up with several half-empty bottles of stale vermouth

Vermouth is good drinking all on its own, friend.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Especially when it’s stale

garak.jpg

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Make manhattans

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

yeah, I was gonna limit myself to vermouth drinks to make sure I don't get to that point :v:

and yeah they're definitely good enough to drink straight!

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I wanted to try something new and Amaro Montenegro came in a box with a free glass, so now I have Montenegro. This stuff is good!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Snow Cone Capone posted:

yeah, I was gonna limit myself to vermouth drinks to make sure I don't get to that point :v:

and yeah they're definitely good enough to drink straight!
I've been killing my Dolan just mixed with soda water and some orange peel. It's a super refreshing after work relaxer.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also 50/50 sweet/dry vermouth is pretty nice and easy drinking!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Toebone posted:

I wanted to try something new and Amaro Montenegro came in a box with a free glass, so now I have Montenegro. This stuff is good!

Amaro Montenegro is absurdly tasty, you can do and M&M that and Mezcal About 1.25 oz of each stirred and put in a rocks glass. Or if you like your cocktails on the bittersweet side the Full Monte, 2 oz of Amaro 1 oz Bourbon and a dash of Ango.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Paper Plane with amaro Montenegro instead of Nonnino is good.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Everytime I visit the liquor store the Montenegro calls to me louder and louder. One of these days I'll finally budget for it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's funny because we've tried like 4 different amaros so far and none of them have been Montenegro or Nonino

We'll get there eventually

e: 7 if you count Fernet Campari and Aperol I guess

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Travelling to Chicago in a couple of months, any spots I should check out?

Last time I was there I went to Three Dots and a Dash, The Office, and Violet Hour.

This time I’m thinking about Kumiko and The Aviary, though I’m not sure the latter will really live up to the hype. Anyone that’s been: is the food any good? We’re thinking about making a light dinner of it.

I’m also looking at Lazy Bird and The Alderman.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I usually have a few amaros at home, even though I haven't found many cocktails I love them in. This isn't a huge problem, because I love drinking them neat or in a paper plane. The store I usually go to has one called Forthave Marseille that is super good to sip on.

LionYeti posted:

Amaro Montenegro is absurdly tasty, you can do and M&M that and Mezcal About 1.25 oz of each stirred and put in a rocks glass.
I'm trying this now, and it's really good!

Anyone have any good recommendations YouTube channels for cocktails? I subscribe to How to Drink, Anders Erickson, and Educated Barfly. They're all pretty fun to watch and learn new interesting drinks to make, but How to Drink has been leaning pretty hard on whacky videos where you watch the host make faces at Outback Steakhouse cocktails or whatever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anonymous Robot posted:

Travelling to Chicago in a couple of months, any spots I should check out?

Last time I was there I went to Three Dots and a Dash, The Office, and Violet Hour.

This time I’m thinking about Kumiko and The Aviary, though I’m not sure the latter will really live up to the hype. Anyone that’s been: is the food any good? We’re thinking about making a light dinner of it.

I’m also looking at Lazy Bird and The Alderman.

Aviary is really fun. I wouldn't expect to get filled up or to be overwhelmed by elegance or anything, but it's a wide array of imaginative little bites and drinks in bizarre presentations that don't take themselves too seriously. I was laughing with delight the whole time, got out for like $300

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s a fun stop for a couple of drinks for sure but when it’s time for food I’d head across the street to The Publican.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
M&M (mezcal and Montenegro) is a great after diner shot/sipper. I usually serve it when I have friends over for dinner.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

It’s a fun stop for a couple of drinks for sure but when it’s time for food I’d head across the street to The Publican.

Thanks for the tip, a charcuterie board and bread basket before popping over for drinks sounds better to me than splashing out on a molecular gastronomy food menu that isn’t really inspiring me. Looking forward to the drinks, though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Trip report: I made a Rye Boulevardier and I don't like it nearly as much as a negroni, but I'm not sure if that's because I really like Negronis or if bourbon/rye hasn't clicked with me yet. I didn't like Negronis the first time I had one, either, tbh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Speaking of 3 dots and a dash. I made one the other day. Didn't like it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I loved every drink I had at The Drifter. If they're doing the banana jaegermeister one get it for sure. Sounds bizarre but it was incredible.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Trip report: I made a Rye Boulevardier and I don't like it nearly as much as a negroni, but I'm not sure if that's because I really like Negronis or if bourbon/rye hasn't clicked with me yet. I didn't like Negronis the first time I had one, either, tbh.

Did you do 1:1:1 or 2:1:1? My fave boulevardier riff is 2:1:1 with Carpano Antica as the vermouth, but if you aren't a bourbon fan that may be worse for you.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Professor Wayne posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations YouTube channels for cocktails? I subscribe to How to Drink, Anders Erickson, and Educated Barfly. They're all pretty fun to watch and learn new interesting drinks to make, but How to Drink has been leaning pretty hard on whacky videos where you watch the host make faces at Outback Steakhouse cocktails or whatever.

Cocktail Time with Kevin Kos. His techniques are fantastic.

My tastes have changed a bit. This summer I didn't hit the whiskey and white rum fresh mint drinks as hard. Biggest new personal hit was probably my interpretation of a strawberry daiquiri. Still tinkering with my fall apple cocktail.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Polish Pirate posted:

Did you do 1:1:1 or 2:1:1? My fave boulevardier riff is 2:1:1 with Carpano Antica as the vermouth, but if you aren't a bourbon fan that may be worse for you.

I can't tout the sub of Cynar (70 if you're using a high proof whiskey) for Campari in a Boulevardier enough. Makes it into an incredible fall/winter sipper for me.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

It’s a shame how far How to Drink has fallen down the click chasing algorithm rabbit hole. I looked at the channel the other day and I think in the past few months maybe 10% of his videos are about actually decent drinks, with the rest being clickbait videos about awful swill and stupid gimmicks.

Someone here recommended the Cocktail College podcast a while back, and I’ve been quite pleased with it. They book highly accomplished bartenders as guests and have long format episodes focused around a single drink each time. It’s been consistently thoughtful, informative and pleasant to listen to.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s a shame how far How to Drink has fallen down the click chasing algorithm rabbit hole. I looked at the channel the other day and I think in the past few months maybe 10% of his videos are about actually decent drinks, with the rest being clickbait videos about awful swill and stupid gimmicks.
The last How to Drink video of any real substance is his Gin & Tonic video from about 2 months ago, which is still really excellent and gave me a project to work towards (that Tonic Syrup).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Strange Matter posted:

The last How to Drink video of any real substance is his Gin & Tonic video from about 2 months ago, which is still really excellent and gave me a project to work towards (that Tonic Syrup).

Yeah he seems smart enough to realize he needs to get back to the real stuff eventually, but I do hope it's sooner rather than later. Even with the more clickbaity videos I always find them entertaining and at least a little educational, but it's getting a bit repetitive at this point. I sense maybe he's not sure what else to cover since, to be fair, he has covered almost everything.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I think he said his more traditional focused ones don't perform as well. I imagine it's also tough you've been doing the series for close to seven years.

On the recommendation front, I like behind the bar with Cara Devine. She's a bartender in Australia at a Spanish focused place and I like her different perspective.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Carillon posted:

I think he said his more traditional focused ones don't perform as well.

I seem to recall him saying the gimmick videos perform like twice what his traditional recipes do

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

There's a woodworker I follow from Canada who does all sorts of interesting projects, including building his own bandsaws and stuff out of wood, and his top performing video is a maze he made to catch a mouse in his garage. The metrics are very depressing for producing informative or interesting videos as opposed to gimmicky bullshit.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If I were to use hot chocolate for a drink, would it be better to use a water based cocoa or do it with milk. Intuitively, milk seems like the way to go. Just because milk seems to be better for mixing with and it makes for better cocoa. But I've never done it.

FWIW: something w/ creme de cacao and creme de menthe and/or mr. black.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
It's not classy, but hot chocolate + banana rum is really nice.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Milk makes a much richer hot chocolate of course. It really just depends on what you like and have available. Slopping some whipped cream on top will help block the alcohol vapors which can be pretty intense in a hot drink. Also try a Verte Chaud

https://theeducatedbarfly.com/verte-chaud/

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
Just a little bit of green chartreuse goes great in a hot chocolate IMO

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

LionYeti posted:

Amaro Montenegro is absurdly tasty, you can do and M&M that and Mezcal About 1.25 oz of each stirred and put in a rocks glass. Or if you like your cocktails on the bittersweet side the Full Monte, 2 oz of Amaro 1 oz Bourbon and a dash of Ango.

I just had an M&M and it fuckin rules. Highly recommended.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

cptn_dr posted:

I just had an M&M and it fuckin rules. Highly recommended.

Drinking it now and loving it. So well balanced for something with just two boozy components

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Braulio shakeratos deserve the hype. (Take some Braulio, shake it hard with ice, strain, dry shake, serve up.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

god, fernet and coke is a magic elixir for tummy pains

I'm grabbing a bottle of the Menta stuff next time, anybody have any reviews?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s lower proof, sweeter, and minty. Don’t buy it. Your favorite bar can’t give it away.