Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A good boy believes in "justice" and not "just tits"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Fecha posted:

Yamato wouldn’t get turned to stone because he’s acesexual :grin:

He'd remember that Oden never turned to stone and simply choose not to

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bleck posted:

Blackbeard really must be way more physically powerful than we've witnessed if he could grab Hancock before she could react. I mean, she's fast.

Remember he can just pull you into his hand via gravity and you can't do anything about it.

Also for another person shockingly unaffected by Hancock's charms you have Hannyabal, despite him being captured once by being seduced by Bon Clay in Nami's form. But Hancock is just not his type, so he is immune.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 12, 2022

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Bleck posted:

Blackbeard really must be way more physically powerful than we've witnessed if he could grab Hancock before she could react. I mean, she's fast.

In that clip, someone just hit Luffy, though.

I wonder how many more One Piece movies we'll get?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If, once the series finishes sometime in the next 10-15 years, they decide to keep churning out movies where Luffy and the crew get to wear some cool new outfits and have an adventure with a whole bunch of cameos, some brawling, ending with Luffy punching some rear end in a top hat rich dude before credits roll on a cool song featuring scenes of where everybody who was in the movie went to next.... well hell, I'm down.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

If, once the series finishes sometime in the next 10-15 years, they decide to keep churning out movies where Luffy and the crew get to wear some cool new outfits and have an adventure with a whole bunch of cameos, some brawling, ending with Luffy punching some rear end in a top hat rich dude before credits roll on a cool song featuring scenes of where everybody who was in the movie went to next.... well hell, I'm down.

If they keep getting real directors like Taniguchi this would be cool

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Fecha posted:

Yamato wouldn’t get turned to stone because he’s acesexual :grin:

Asexualsexual? Good luck.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No-one has been through more personal growth and maturity than Koby, who has literally gone from small boy to seasoned adult in the span of two and a bit years.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 12, 2022

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Koby's still too busy thinking about Vivi hitting on him at Revelrie to notice anything sexy Hancock does.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Koby only has eyes for Luffy

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Koby's observation haki is so strong that he doesn't need to use his glasses any more

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

No-one has been through more personal growth and maturity than Koby, who has literally gone from small boy to seasoned adult in the span of two and a bit years.

that's the power of garp's parenting. if he'd been around for luffy and ace they'd get the one piece in a year tops.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Garp tried to make a man out of Luffy and it clearly didn’t take, he complained all the time when he got sent out in the forest full of wild animals to live off of lizard meat, thrown into the sky with balloons, or into the water when he couldn’t swim.

…come to think of it, Luffy’s pretty okay with those first two things now so I guess it was just a delayed response.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1569340172877299714?t=wwLqctStsczrwFg0LxAzVg&s=19

So college football just lied.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

November 4th for the UK/Ireland too... Was kinda worried they'd use the "b-b-but the Queen!" excuse like they have with the new Gundam movie

https://twitter.com/AllTheAnime/status/1569344013483876356

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
why did smokey casually go 'oh it's you' to the most wanted man in the world like they always see each other at kroger instead of OH gently caress WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

smoker is a tough guy who doesn’t react like that

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also they’re probably old ex-Navy buddies so there’s that too.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

This reminds me, it's been to long since we've seen Smoker. We had law for like 500 chapters time to bring Smoker back.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Remember when smoker's pants ate that ice cream

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

odas rushing the poo poo outta op. those vacations made him realize lifes too short, why waste it drawing all the time. be with family instead! if he wants to just draw the major big pages and release the rest of the story in text that's fine with me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think if he was rushing, we wouldn't have spent the last like two or three chapters on flashbacks and things other people are doing and would have just had the Straw Hats on the next island by now.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
If he wants more time off he should go the DBS/Boruto route and fully pass on the drawing duties to other artists. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone who can ape his style (considering how many artists have grown up with his work) and I doubt he's hurting for money if it meant giving new artists split royalties on new volumes. I wouldn't care, so long as he was still writing the series and living his best life in the process.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The idea of Oda of all people rushing anything is comical

You can accuse him of many things, but SPEED?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I think if he was rushing, we wouldn't have spent the last like two or three chapters on flashbacks and things other people are doing and would have just had the Straw Hats on the next island by now.

I think even if he dropped everything and went into a maddash to the end in one year he would still have these check ins because they're important as set up to the world and where it's going, they'd just be abbreviated

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bleck posted:

The first thing we ever hear about Blackbeard is that he gave Shanks his signature scar and not because Shanks was goofing off and being careless. Blackbeard was low key a secret badass for years before he even started making his moves and moving up the ladder fast. If he’s openly going head to head against someone like Boa on her own turf it’s because he knows he has the power to do that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blackbeard was on the level of whitebeard's commanders even before he got his fruit. ace's flashback has a scene where the 2nd division commander slot is open and ace and blackbeard are talking about it, and ace acts surprised blackbeard isn't gunning for it. considering we see things like vista holding his own against mihawk and marco 1v2ing king and queen, whitebeard's commanders are no joke, and ace seemed pretty confident blackbeard was at that level.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
wasn't ace easily folding the blackbeard pirates before teach used the darkness to negate ace's logia abilities?

that whole sequence perplexed me on how teach was able to scar shanks at all

BoosterDuck fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 13, 2022

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shanks underestimated Teach like everyone else did, it's just that Shanks lived to learn that lesson.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BoosterDuck posted:

wasn't ace easily folding the blackbeard pirates before teach used the darkness to negate ace's logia abilities?

that whole sequence perplexed me on how teach was able to scar shanks at all

Ace was the Number 3 of the strongest Pirate crew in the world.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Funky Valentine posted:

Shanks underestimated Teach like everyone else did, it's just that Shanks lived to learn that lesson.

Shanks literally said he didn't underestimate Teach.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ace was the Number 3 of the strongest Pirate crew in the world.

he can't be stronger than vista or diamond jozu though

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Blackbeard's pretty unique among the baddies of One Piece because he doesn't have that awe-inspiring might that other arc villains have. He's a lot more prone to taking attacks out of carelessness and arrogance than the likes of pretty much every major villain except Moria (who's grown lazy and complacent) and can't just shrug them off like Kaidou / Big Mom can. In fact, Blackbeard overreacts to every hit he takes, which gives off the impression that he's sort of a wuss. Also doesn't help that the nature of his fruit means that he's more prone to taking damage/pain from attacks.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

mabels big day posted:

Yeah I agree they should just leave "nakama" untranslated

genuinely lold at this post

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways, the debut of the Seraphim got me thinkin' about Weevil, the self-proclaimed son of Whitebeard. This ugly son of a gun right here.

What if Weevil's like a hosed-up prototype of the Seraphim project? The two Seraphim we've seen are like childhood clones of the Warlords, but who's to say that they're only based on Warlords? What if they tried making a clone of Whitebeard as a Seraphim but hosed up midway and resulted in a clone that had all of Whitebeard's strength but none of Whitebeard's personality or looks?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Nakama is an important word to One Piece because maybe you want to translate it as "crew" or something at certain points in relation to the Straw Hat Pirates but then if you do that when you translate it as "friend" in other situations where saying crew wouldn't make sense you lost a bit of the paralells being drawn through use of the same term.

This is a sort of complication that is obviously not unique to One Piece in any way but will come up commonly in translation. Of course leaving the word as is, is a poor solution at any rate.

i disagree that it's a poor solution entirely. for a word that is used with such importance in the story, i think you can trust the readership to be able to look up and understand the context it's implied in, and then that word becomes part of their lexicon as well. at least in nerdy online circles, nakama is completely understood by a significant amount of people now just due to one piece's sheer popularity, and having read the story you can "get" what it means no problem.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Bleck posted:

this clip is so much what i wish robin's combat style was like. feels like sabo and koala could have taught her fishman karate (weird that they're both not fishmen) during the timeskip and it would have been cool to see her incorporate armament with her fruit

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

tbp posted:

this clip is so much what i wish robin's combat style was like. feels like sabo and koala could have taught her fishman karate (weird that they're both not fishmen) during the timeskip and it would have been cool to see her incorporate armament with her fruit

hack and koala did teach robin fishman karate during the timeskip
she even used techniques on black maria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tbp posted:

i disagree that it's a poor solution entirely. for a word that is used with such importance in the story, i think you can trust the readership to be able to look up and understand the context it's implied in, and then that word becomes part of their lexicon as well. at least in nerdy online circles, nakama is completely understood by a significant amount of people now just due to one piece's sheer popularity, and having read the story you can "get" what it means no problem.

One Piece is a huge mainstream property and has a very wide appeal. Leaving a term (a simple and common term at that) untranslated because existing fans are familiar with it through scans and fansubs would absolutely be a failure in a professional translation imo.