Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I went into a starbucks for the first time in forever recently and was shocked how expensive drinks are now.

Hope their slide into irrelevance speeds up with this nft bullshit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
But if I want new coffee experiences why do I also need a scam jpg?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Scam jpegs have a(n even) higher margin.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

But if I want new coffee experiences why do I also need a scam jpg?

p sure its some hey kids dot gif energy

edit: actually, i literally saw someone wearing bayc merch while taking a walk in my very suburban neighborhood today, so, i'm not sure how to feel. the internet may be leaking

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
I saw a homeless person wearing an ape shirt on the bus. That was peculiar.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

when crypto people say decentralized they really just mean all the rich people who control it never have to meet up and can live anywhere, it's like a job posting saying it's 100% remote, but for the rich

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

deep dish peat moss posted:

when crypto people say decentralized they really just mean all the rich people who control it never have to meet up and can live anywhere, it's like a job posting saying it's 100% remote, but for the rich
I was watching a docuseries on HBOMax about 'anarchists' and was somewhat surprised to learn the vast preponderance of them are rich guys who don't want to pay taxes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NorgLyle posted:

I was watching a docuseries on HBOMax about 'anarchists' and was somewhat surprised to learn the vast preponderance of them are rich guys who don't want to pay taxes.

those are just libertarians who aren't afraid of the label anarcho-capitalist (no government, all corporation)

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Aramis posted:

Well, to be fair on the second point, there "is" something there to prevent it in the sense that validators are incentivized to not gently caress with the system as it would dramatically devaluate their assets. After all, relying on actor rationality is a well-established way to provide stability.

It isn't, in case anyone would dare to read that as anything but sarcasm.

It would dramatically devalue someone's assets, the moment there are enough non-PoS assets on the other side of open buy orders to make a 50%+1 attack worth it.

Edit: didn't even notice the dual meaning of PoS in there, leaving it because if anything it improves the point.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 13, 2022

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

JohnCompany posted:

It would dramatically devalue someone's assets, the moment there are enough non-PoS assets on the other side of open buy orders to make a 50%+1 attack worth it.

Edit: didn't even notice the dual meaning of PoS in there, leaving it because if anything it improves the point.

The theory is that the moment someone pulls off something like this, every single Eth drops in effective value, including the staked ones. The validator has a literal vested interest in not doing it, since they need to have a lot of PoS assets in the first place to be in this position.

Eths are only worth anything as long as the system "works". A 50%+1 attack would be direct observable evidence that it doesn't.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 13, 2022

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Aramis posted:

The theory is that the moment someone pulls off something like this, every single Eth drops in effective value, including the staked ones. The validator has a literal vested interest in not doing it, since they need to have a lot of PoS assets in the first place to be in this position.

Eths are only worth anything as long as the system "works". A 50%+1 attack would be direct observable evidence that it doesn't.

No, I understand the theory. My point was the minute there are sufficient buy orders open offering enough non-ETH assets in exchange such that you can execute the attack, close the buy orders and walk away with enough in not-ETH and so not-yet-devalued assets, the fraction of which are gained in your attack being worth more than your loss in staked ETH the theory no longer holds.

Whether such a condition could in fact occur I have no idea.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
How does nobody get a scam vibe out of this poo poo? I had someone I know suddenly gain interest in it. It's like not even an attempt at a ponzi here.

presend.io/ posted:

CRYPTOCURRENCY TRANSACTION PROTECTION SOFTWARE

-snip-

the ONLY Cryptocurrency Transaction Protection Software Known to Mankind!

PreSend is the first multi-chain fully integrated wallet software to assume the burden and responsibility of ensuring that transferred funds across the blockchain arrive successfully at the benefactor’s wallet address (on the correct blockchains), while also stopping transactions that are sent on incorrect chains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQ7DG7IJ38
I think they paid a 12 year old to promote it, as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjA6XSh0qsE

It's actually more of a thought process for me to try to envision how someone thought this was unique. lol.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 13, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

notwithoutmyanus posted:

How does nobody get a scam vibe out of this poo poo? I had someone I know suddenly gain interest in it. It's like not even an attempt at a ponzi here.

I think they paid a 12 year old to promote it, as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjA6XSh0qsE

It's actually more of a thought process for me to try to envision how someone thought this was unique. lol.

If you can't trust "wolfer finance" then who can you trust? I heard they make a great cola.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Have you ever seen TikTok "finance influencers"? Anyone and every one of the rubes who watch them and there are LOTS

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

King Carnivore posted:

I saw a homeless person wearing an ape shirt on the bus. That was peculiar.

Sold everything except the shirt on my back to invest in apes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I think they paid a 12 year old to promote it, as well.

Not even 15k subs lol

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The new experience is that you coffee in on the blockchain*!

* its actually just a url to the coffee

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

NFTs have made it easier to identify which companies have brain rot on the inside

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Bitcoin had the biggest inflows to dump Bitcoin on exchanges I've ever seen in 2 years of monitoring this data. If there's ever a time to expect butts are about to go *down* over the next week or two, this is it. Last thing even close was March.

CryptoQuant Alert, [9/13/22, 6:54 AM]
[ Forwarded from CryptoQuant Alert ]
🚨🚨🚨 10,874.98 #BTC ($243,556,778)
aggregated inflows to #Coinbase Pro

🐳🐳🐳 9,991.07 #BTC ($225,385,428)
aggregated inflows to #Huobi Global

🐳🐳🐳 30,897.13 #BTC ($696,591,441)

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Bitcoin had the biggest inflows to dump Bitcoin on exchanges I've ever seen in 2 years of monitoring this data. If there's ever a time to expect butts are about to go *down* over the next week or two, this is it. Last thing even close was March.

🚨🚨🚨 10,874.98 #BTC ($243,556,778)
aggregated inflows to #Coinbase Pro

🐳🐳🐳 9,991.07 #BTC ($225,385,428)

🐳🐳🐳 30,897.13 #BTC ($696,591,441)

Thanks for posting this

Do you have anyway to find out if these are the bitcoins from the MtGox settlement?

poo poo thats like a billion dollars in butts

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ups_rail posted:

Thanks for posting this

Do you have anyway to find out if these are the bitcoins from the MtGox settlement?

poo poo thats like a billion dollars in butts

I have heard mixed information on this as they haven't even ended the ability to join/claim as part of the class action or however that works, so I don't know. And yes, that's just this morning (I'm on central US time for those timestamps).

Usually $10-50m in a day is something small but this is just :vince:

edit: and apparently another today already.

🐳 1,500.01 #BTC ($33,894,697)
aggregated inflows to #Bitfinex

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 13, 2022

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Its not Mt Gox its Mt Fed (inflation report came out today and was higher than expected)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

dumb question but does the magical doomsday spell of 50+% attack/thing exists, like what stops all the biggest players from just getting into a static stasis the instant this is implemented?

the entire reason bitcoin mining wastes so much power is to make a 50% attack really loving expensive to run

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Wow, such a great inflation hedge!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

HappyHippo posted:

Duh, its bitcoin winter, there are going to be drops every now and again. But once bitcoin spring comes around it will rocket back up to 80,000!

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Starbucks workers: "Hey, we want to form a union."

Starbucks: "No. How about some NFTs instead?"

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

HappyHippo posted:

I was just thinking about this. For a currency that is supposedly outside of the sphere of influence of centralized fiat currency, it sure seems to take a poo poo in tandem with USD's inflation woes.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Anyone following the Ethereum ”merge” to proof of stake? It’s supposed to cut down on energy consumption by “99%”. This has been delayed a few times but is supposedly happening tomorrow.

I’m not sure how this fundamentally changes much when it’s not helping address the lack of efficiency of transactions per sec, but I’m just a normie :shrug:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i was interested until i realized it wasn't proof of steak

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Nuts and Gum posted:

Anyone following the Ethereum ”merge” to proof of stake? It’s supposed to cut down on energy consumption by “99%”. This has been delayed a few times but is supposedly happening tomorrow.

I’m not sure how this fundamentally changes much when it’s not helping address the lack of efficiency of transactions per sec, but I’m just a normie :shrug:

All the miners are going to fork into etherium 3.0 and cut vitalik out of it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mozi posted:

i was interested until i realized it wasn't proof of steak

That comes the day after usually unless you have GI problems

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

You can type "the merge" into google and get a countdown

Currently 1 day and 42 mins

https://i.imgur.com/g5jM3Rq.mp4

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 14, 2022

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuts and Gum posted:

It's gonna inject a huge amount of panic into the market.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Somfin posted:

It's gonna inject a huge amount of panic into the market.

:pray:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
:eng99:

quote:

Proof crypto is dead (a professor’s perspective)

So, I teach money and banking at a regional public university and today was the first day I taught about cryptocurrency. I think the whole thing is fascinating, although I’m 100% against the idea that it’s some revolutionary tech. At best, it’s the equivalent of inventing a better debit card. At it’s worst, it’s a devolution in technology which wastes energy and human brainpower.

Although I am a hater, I’m still cognizant of the fact that if everyone chooses to use bitcoin or some other crytpo, then bam…that’s our new currency. This is the pot of gold investors are seeking. They pretty much know that the technology is about as revolutionary as a tootsie roll, but they don’t care because with money as a medium of exchange, all that matters is that people decide to use it as their primary medium of exchange. Hell, we’ve used sea shells and massive round stones as money before, so there’s that. It’s a self-fulfilling kind of thing, and there is still a non-zero chance that humanity is really stupid enough to buy into this.

So, I’m still wondering and still a little worried about all about this, up until today. Today, I’m super-excited to teach everything I’ve learned about crypto up to this point. How it’s basically just a ledger, like an excel file with accounting info, and that you can write new entries but not delete anything. This whole thing was even couched in how we are evolving toward less involvement of banks in the payments system. And up to today, these students had been really interested in what I was teaching. I was doing okay, but really the class was good because they were wanting to know more about what I was teaching. That is until I started teaching about crypto. These kids’ eyes just glazed over as if I was their drunk uncle ranting about Biden on Christmas eve. I honestly tried to explain the “cool” parts of the technology, The peer-to-peer aspects, how it was file sharing. I could see in their eyes, it was as if I was just re-traumatizing them all somehow.

So that’s it. That’s my story. This is how I know bitcoin and probably all crytpo is dead. It’s a middle-aged, get-rich-quick pipe dream and these kids are simply not having it. I feel dirty for even trying to treat it as if it’s something relevant or with potential. I probably hurt my own credibility just trying to teach it for 15 minutes. I can’t imagine how these San-Fran silicon valley freaks are doing. Those kids are super smart and savvy out there. The prof’s trying to have a class on this are likely seen as the whores of their institutions by the student body. There’s not a doubt in my mind after today.

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

Main Paineframe posted:

the entire reason bitcoin mining wastes so much power is to make a 50% attack really loving expensive to run

And it failed miserably to do this, because it is hyper sensitive to economy of scales

Quoting David Rosenthal relecture of DARPA's report "Are Blockchains Decentralized ?"

It is well known that Bitcoin is economically centralized: in 2020, 4.5% of Bitcoin holders controlled 85% of the currency. But what about Bitcoin’s systemic or authoritative centralization? As we saw in the last section, Bitcoin’s Nakamoto coefficient is four, because taking control of the four largest mining pools would provide a hashrate sufficient to execute a 51% attack. In January of 2021, the Nakamoto coefficient for Ethereum was only two. As of April 2022, it is three.

Crypto bros have completely ignored externalities, living in the dream world of libertarians. So their attempt to solve Sybil attack is loving stupid by design

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

All the miners are going to fork into etherium 3.0 and cut vitalik out of it.
Has there been any attempt at making a credible argument for doing it, or is it just dancing around "we want to be able to burn energy to make funbux" ?

You'd think how often these folk talk about ~institutional interest~ and being the currency of the future that negligible power usage would actually be a good thing, championed even. Otherwise one has to wonder if all any of this is actually about is enriching oneself at whatever cost? Surely it can't be about that, can it?

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

Durzel posted:

Has there been any attempt at making a credible argument for doing it, or is it just dancing around "we want to be able to burn energy to make funbux" ?

You'd think how often these folk talk about ~institutional interest~ and being the currency of the future that negligible power usage would actually be a good thing, championed even. Otherwise one has to wonder if all any of this is actually about is enriching oneself at whatever cost? Surely it can't be about that, can it?

Forking Ethereum would only add another useless coin on the pile of useless coins , and there would be unexpected and funny side effect with "smart" contracts now.
a good read on this
https://blog.dshr.org/2022/08/forking-ethereum.html#more

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It seems likely they'll attempt a fork. I just don't see it going anywhere. The miners are in deep denial right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like I missed something going down with Etherium. Aren't they basically the core of everything crypto at this point? Feels like something getting hosed up with them would probably trigger the big crash and run.