Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i do not enjoy light nearly as much after the run-in with Raye Penber’s gf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I can see that, iconic stuff right there.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

I can see that, iconic stuff right there.
very great scene, but too villainous if you're gonna expect me to like this guy for another ~20 episodes!

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I hate Light so much and I hate watched Death Note just to be sure he died. For that reason I'll never rewatch.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The first set of live action movies is the best possible way to experience Death Note 'cause they wrote in the correct ending

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My fav live-action anime/manga movies: Cutie Honey, Ping Pong, Kenshins with that Kamen Rider guy, I think that Initial D one was okay, and honorable mention to Super Mario Bros with Hoskins and Leguizamo (:stat:). A few that looked ok I've been meaning to try: Detroit Metal City, Beck, Mole Song: Agent Reiji, stuff like that.

Zeiram movies are cool, that's like the opposite since the anime came second. Those low budget Oshii movies he made with those scary troopers later used in Jin-Roh and whatnot were interesting.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I liked the Akagi live-action movie.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The First of the North Star live action movie is unintentionally funny as hell and even features Shin in a ripoff of that famous Lenin poster lol

It also never explains what the first of the North Star is or why it's so unique and renames Jagi to Jackal and just makes him a rando instead of Ken's brother

Instead of Raoh killing Ryuken, who is played by Malcolm McDowell,Shin shows up and shoots him in the face in the first five minutes of the movie

Clint Howard is in it

Rufio is, too

Also the DVD has a commentary track with Ken's actor, Gary Daniels, and he spends a good amount of time dunking on the director and editing lol

It's a goofy rear end experience

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUzAJIhjbrI

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That movie is pretty darn entertaining. I was thinking if there had been a good western made anime movie, that's the best we've got!

Edit: Speed Racer of course

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The second live action Guyver was an okay watch if you caught it on Cable in the 90's

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

All I see here are a bunch of dudes who never watched live action movies and dramas of their favorite shoujo manga. At least watch the first Nana movie and the Hana Yori Dango adaptions.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the utena musical was pretty amazing too

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Oh and the live action Sailor Moon rules.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Heavy Metal posted:

That movie is pretty darn entertaining. I was thinking if there had been a good western made anime movie, that's the best we've got!

Edit: Speed Racer of course

Speed Racer owns so much and I weep every day for the sequel we'll never have.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Or the impossibility of ever getting a 4K Atmos BluRay :negative:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

On the topic of Death Note

https://twitter.com/iamnotweII/status/1560740795858276354

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i love it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

very great scene, but too villainous if you're gonna expect me to like this guy for another ~20 episodes!

smdh if you haven’t been rooting for L since the end of Episode 1.

Perfect.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Here's the list of anime series I'm in the middle of:

Slam Dunk
Lupin the Third pt 2
Lupin the Third pt 3
Lupin the Third pt 4
Gundam 08th MS Team (big Gundam list)
Patlabor (TV)
Dirty Pair
City Hunter 2
Slayers
Ah! My Goddess s2
Urusei Yatsura
Golgo 13
Black Lagoon
Dragon Ball

Also rewatching FLCL and Cowboy Bebop. And for general toons I'm near the end of Batman TAS/New Adventures, doing Batman Beyond, and early The Simpsons, for the record.

If I don't finish at least a few of those anime series by the end of the year, I'll be the laughingstock of the anime lunch room. Anybody else in the middle of a buncha stuff?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Slayers is some good stuff. I really liked the first three series and the movies but I never really got into the more recent stuff.

I think the last thing I was into was the English gag dub of Ghost Stories, which is on Crunchyroll. It has some real 2000s edgy dub humor that is not always funny but there sometimes is a rare good spot.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tulalip Tulips posted:

All I see here are a bunch of dudes who never watched live action movies and dramas of their favorite shoujo manga. At least watch the first Nana movie and the Hana Yori Dango adaptions.

I saw the first live-action episode of Honey and Clover, one of my favorite anime of all time.

I deeply regret having done so.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

I saw the first live-action episode of Honey and Clover, one of my favorite anime of all time.

I deeply regret having done so.

Not all adaptions are good. Off the top of my head, I hate the live action Paradise Kiss movie and I especially hate that they change the ending. The live action Hot Gimmick movie is terrible but the source material is also terrible, so it just highlights the worst stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Saikano live action looked absolutely dreadful

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

Here's the list of anime series I'm in the middle of:

Golgo 13
the original ADTRW thread for this was "He Shoots; He Scores" and nothing has ever been more accurate (except for Golgo 13 himself)

also finally got this fit off for the Yung Bag/Macross 82-99/Night Tempo concert in LA last friday

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rocks! "Go Go" "Get Wild" with your "Footsteps"!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

That rocks! "Go Go" "Get Wild" with your "Footsteps"!
i was shocked every time a zoomer recognized me, but it kept happening!!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I remember getting so hyped for the live action casshern and wanting to like it so much. I couldn't fool myself though, it was real bad. At least it has one or two nice action sequences.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's an incomprehensible screed against the treatment of the Ainu, right?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Death Note being old school anime makes me feel old...school. I was thinking like 80s, maybe 90s.

Like Fushigi Yuugi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrz0e9BGaJs

Huge anime music nerd and FY has one of the all time great and underrated soundtracks. David Hayter of Solid Snake fame voiced the male lead in the dub which is at least part of why I first watched it initially. But I'm glad i did since it has a lot more going for it than that.

Pretty sure the whole dub is available on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLk-pHBxKL4&t=1124s

And then everyone died horribly.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

David Hayter rules. And let's just call this the oldschool Anime General from now on, we're definitely not old. Well maybe we're not in school either. But we're anime for sure!

I dig David Hayter in Manga's Castle of Cagliostro dub, he did a quality Lupin.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

he is among the best possible options for making your Japanese media product into an English media product, but he still has to fight against the lip flap.

give me Yasuo Yamada and Kiyoshi Kobayashi (pbuh).

Kobayashi doing the drat thing in Lupin The Third: The First put a tear in my eye for every line. RIP to a gay anime icon.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Amen, it's always amazing how these heroic seiyuu stay with the role and define it. He's so cool for sure. Here's hoping Kurita is into doing 20+ years of more Lupin!

Luffy and Goku's seiyuus are really impressive too, Mayumi Tanaka doing Krillin too! I'm watching the original Dragon Ball for the first time lately, and it's fun hearing her there.

On that Hideaki Anno doc on amazon, was touching seeing those classic seiyuu there too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Heavy Metal posted:

David Hayter rules. And let's just call this the oldschool Anime General from now on, we're definitely not old. Well maybe we're not in school either. But we're anime for sure!

Is that the original dub where they keep calling him the wolf?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kingtheninja posted:

Is that the original dub where they keep calling him the wolf?

That one's the Streamline produced dub I gather, they say Lupin in this Manga one with Hayter (from a DVD around 2000).

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
also the “Kill James Bond” episode where they watch Castle of Cagliostro with a big Lupin head is hilarious. they all start off talking poo poo about how they actually didnt like the movie based on the criticism that Ghibli movies are more about “world building” and light on actual plot (which, sure, they’re mostly for children). then they try to give the plot outline and keep cracking each other up because the hijinx are just too drat good and the boys were having too much fun teaming up to dunk on Count Pedo. Jigen really does love that anti-tank rifle.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Heavy Metal posted:

That one's the Streamline produced dub I gather, they say Lupin in this Manga one with Hayter (from a DVD around 2000).

It's funny when you watch both versions and notice that Kirk Thornton is playing different characters in each.

The Streamline dub isn't as good as the Animaze/Manga one but it has some decent parts and it's a worthwhile watch.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i am cordially inviting you all to watch the original 1979 japanese voice track instead of a bad 90s dub or a merely tolerable 00s do-over

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nah. I like my 90s dubs. You get some wild poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Arc Hammer posted:

Nah. I like my 90s dubs. You get some wild poo poo.
some wild (Angel Cop, Black Lion), but mostly just bad/lazy with the rare diamond in the rough (David Hayter in Cagliostro, or Bryan Cranston in Macross Plus).

i mean, WOLF?! whose idea was that?