Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

kiimo posted:

In. Also I get to find out who created this trailer in a couple weeks and I am excite.

Need to watch the movie Scorcesse did about his childhood and filmmaking. Feel like this is a mini genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

La La Land was excruciatingly terrible

I liked it :colbert:

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Jewmanji posted:

Well he did the Neil Armstrong movie too

I'm a big fan of Whiplash and I thought First Man was really impressive so I'm all the way in on Babylon. Looks like a fun time at the movies!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

The Clap posted:

I'm a big fan of Whiplash and I thought First Man was really impressive so I'm all the way in on Babylon. Looks like a fun time at the movies!

First Man was super good, just not what a lot of people were expecting

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I dunno...

Jewmanji posted:

Well he did the Neil Armstrong movie too

I really liked that one, but this looks kinda middling.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I dunno...

I really liked that one, but this looks kinda middling.

The biopic movie is the one that seemed middling to me. Anything in particular that made it get out of the mediocre biopic ghetto?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
People who knew Armstrong said the depiction was more or less made up out of whole cloth and that he wasn’t an unfeeling automaton like the movie depicts. Also it was weird that the movie aimed for an aesthetic of hyper-realistic immersion but blatantly fudged stuff to make it seem cooler.

The new movie looks like he’s doing a David O Russell impression, yikes

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 13, 2022

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Aw poo poo, surprise trilogy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALNV4mdHGEE

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jewmanji posted:

People who knew Armstrong said the depiction was more or less made up out of whole cloth and that he wasn’t an unfeeling automaton like the movie depicts. Also it was weird that the movie aimed for an aesthetic of hyper-realistic immersion but blatantly fudged stuff to make it seem cooler.

I don't think he's unfeeling, I took away from it that the whole point is that he's singularly focused and driven in what is a rather absurd situation. Armstrong himself was a pragmatic and gutsy person, the fly-by-wire nature of some of the poo poo he was doing on pure instinct and understanding of mathematical principles or engineering is just insane stuff, like he's a very un-normal person but not a showboat at all. Probably a hard thing to depict. I think the film really works to demonstrate a sense of how cold and alienating space exploration is, especially with the brute force nature of 50s-60s cold war mechanisms, and how weird it is that we spend so much money to send people up there in order for us to come to the rather normal realization that this planet is all we have. The juxtaposition of the Gil Scott-Heron poem in that one scene comes to mind.

Shageletic posted:

The biopic movie is the one that seemed middling to me. Anything in particular that made it get out of the mediocre biopic ghetto?

Incredible sound design, score, and sense of visual texture. And great production design.

Also, it's one of the only aero-space films I can think of that doesn't feel super nationalistic or ideologically loaded.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 13, 2022

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

I don't think he's unfeeling, I took away from it that the whole point is that he's singularly focused and driven in what is a rather absurd situation. Armstrong himself was a pragmatic and gutsy person, the fly-by-wire nature of some of the poo poo he was doing on pure instinct and understanding of mathematical principles or engineering is just insane stuff, like he's a very un-normal person but not a showboat at all. Probably a hard thing to depict. I think the film really works to demonstrate a sense of how cold and alienating space exploration is, especially with the brute force nature of 50s-60s cold war mechanisms, and how weird it is that we spend so much money to send people up there in order for us to come to the rather normal realization that this planet is all we have. The juxtaposition of the Gil Scott-Heron poem in that one scene comes to mind.

Incredible sound design, score, and sense of visual texture. And great production design.

Also, it's one of the only aero-space films I can think of that doesn't feel super nationalistic or ideologically loaded.

I agree with all of this. Also its almost a nihilistic look at the drive these fellas had. They are all living in a solitary suburban neighborhood with one another and each of them keep dying and they just show their crying wives and this dull drive of the others to press on. Its very dark and creepy, and an interesting look at it.

Also the SOUND DESIGN

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

I highly recommend this video on the programming of the apollo guidance computer and the importance of the infamous 1202 alarm. It does a great job of showing how Armstrong, heroic as he was, has been inflated by the narrative that he basically did the Death Star trench run when in reality there was an incredible amount of innovation behind the scenes to make his life much much easier than the films often depict. I promise this boring-sounding lecture is worth everyone's time, it is riveting.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
As fun as it probably will be to watch Margot Robbie do another variation on Faye Dunaway's performance in Bonnie and Clyde it's starting to feel like it's the only the note she cares to play

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

True, but I think that's fine. Range isn't the only criterion to evaluate an actor by. Some just excel at a certain type. When's the last time Brad Pitt attempted anything other than cocky and self-assured? Still charismatic as hell every time. Margo kinda does the same thing but as a woman.

(I guess the answer to my rhetorical question is Ad Astra which was very enjoyable, but you get the point).

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Chazelle rules. All 3 films are good stuff so far, and this one looks like a lot of fun. Also like how he has constant collaboration with same composer.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This trailer is just ok, but I like the director's first two movies (The Ritual, The Night House)

Hellraiser (2022)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUlgwJNdu2I

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

havent seen any of the hellraiser movies but holy poo poo that was an effective trailer imo

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Gresh posted:

havent seen any of the hellraiser movies but holy poo poo that was an effective trailer imo

It looks like this is taking it in a different direction. First movie is worth watching, IMHO. You can skip the rest of them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

confused posted:

It looks like this is taking it in a different direction. First movie is worth watching, IMHO. You can skip the rest of them.

The back half of the second film is pretty loving good.

It's also the only one that's really connected to the first one. I'd still recommend it with the caveat that the first half isn't too involving.

Trailer looks like it's pulling some stuff from the second film as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, the first Hellraiser is definitely worth a watch if you're into freaky bloody horror poo poo. It gets hosed up, but in a good way. I don't remember much about the rest of them, but I know once your horror series has gone to space, reboot is basically your only option left, so I'll probably check this out.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hellbound is my jam, it's absolutely vile.

The new one looks like people actually gave a poo poo this time around and I'm now hyped.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

confused posted:

The second film is a good-faith attempt to capture the spirit of the original which I find succeeds and fails in equal measure. The third turns Pinhead into 90s Freddy Krueger. If you're ok with that it's perfectly acceptable popcorn entertainment. The rest are mostly ok examples of super low budget horror. Some interesting concepts, none of which could be described as good but it's only the most recent two (Revelations and Judgement) that are objectively garbage.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

confused posted:

As long as you accept that Hellraiser 2 is the second half of the first film, yes. You can stop halfway through and be OK, but it's all a piece.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm surprised I've never seen someone edit the first two movies together into one single film (which I would totally watch because they're both equally good).

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

ozmunkeh posted:

Some interesting concepts, none of which could be described as good but it's only the most recent two (Revelations and Judgement) that are objectively garbage.

This is a good description. I liked the ideas behind the two that kind of took a Silent Hill type turn,
(inferno and hellseeker) but the execution left a lot to be desired.
1 and 2 are good, inferno and hellseeker are eh, and the other ones I'd probably skip.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ehud posted:

This trailer is just ok, but I like the director's first two movies (The Ritual, The Night House)

Hellraiser (2022)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUlgwJNdu2I

And it's going to be streamed at Disney+ in my country.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Jedit posted:

As long as you accept that Hellraiser 2 is the second half of the first film, yes. You can stop halfway through and be OK, but it's all a piece.

I should clarify that I'm not a horror fan, just a general film fan. I don't dislike horror movies, but I don't seek them out. I'm sure horror fans would have a much different opinion.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

confused posted:

I should clarify that I'm not a horror fan, just a general film fan. I don't dislike horror movies, but I don't seek them out. I'm sure horror fans would have a much different opinion.

I should say that I'm specifically not a horror fan. I tend to avoid them. But even I can admit that the first Hellraiser is pretty drat great. Just swinging for the fences, and turning most of those swings into homeruns.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

thrawn527 posted:

I should say that I'm specifically not a horror fan. I tend to avoid them. But even I can admit that the first Hellraiser is pretty drat great. Just swinging for the fences, and turning most of those swings into homeruns.

I would recommend Prince of Darkness then.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

happyhippy posted:

I would recommend Prince of Darkness then.

This is not a dream. It is a transmission.

That still sticks with me today. 10 year old me just had his mind blown by that.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I saw prince of darkness on TV with commercials in my late teens and it still scared the poo poo out of me

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

(Googles) I mean, John Carpenter has rarely let me down, so sure.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jedit posted:

The boyfriend just disappearing between movies would be a little weird, not sure if there’s a way to edit him out of the first half.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Prince of Darkness was creepy AF even watching it on VHS with a friend. I was only sad that there's a transition from night to daybreak right at the peak which really breaks the tension. If the storyline had played out before sunrise hits I'd have been creeped out until the end but even as a kid I wondered why JC made such a baffling choice that whiffs the ending.

Uh, spoiler tagging a 35 year old movie as we're currently recommending it to someone who maybe hasn't seen it.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
Don't think I've seen this trailer on here. Here is a sentence I never thought I'd say: Allison Janney kicking rear end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QILhvR4QPsQ

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wiBHEACNHs

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BonoMan posted:

This is not a dream. It is a transmission.

That still sticks with me today. 10 year old me just had his mind blown by that.

Truly sublime. There are maybe five wonderful ideas in that movie that could each be their own movie. It’s an extremely creative film, especially given the limitation in sets and location.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yesssssss! This is based on the book "The Cabin at the End of the World" and I loving loved it. It was one of those books that got the rights purchased but I just assumed would never get made.

Kind of excited to see Shyamalan take it on. Hopefully he does a bit better with rails. But it's definitely material made for him.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like they should have left anything about the apocalypse out of the trailer if possible and just leave it to the imagination what they've been called upon to do and why, just that the family has to make a horrible decision for ~reasons~. But maybe that didn't test well and they're fighting against people rolling their eyes at any M Night twist.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

I feel like they should have left anything about the apocalypse out of the trailer if possible and just leave it to the imagination what they've been called upon to do and why, just that the family has to make a horrible decision for ~reasons~. But maybe that didn't test well and they're fighting against people rolling their eyes at any M Night twist.

Yeah I feel like if you leave that out then it just feels like generic home invasion-y stuff which it definitely is not. Gotta let the audience know it's something else. Also (book spoilers) it's introduced pretty early on in the book so it's not a big twist... also the book has a grim as gently caress ending which I wonder if they'll keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

BonoMan posted:

Yesssssss! This is based on the book "The Cabin at the End of the World" and I loving loved it. It was one of those books that got the rights purchased but I just assumed would never get made.

Kind of excited to see Shyamalan take it on. Hopefully he does a bit better with rails. But it's definitely material made for him.

Cabin in the woods is the first one to come to mind, but hasn't the "Sacrifice to prevent the end of the world" been relatively common in horror lately?