Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's basically an excuse for them to be able to level up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Excelzior posted:

Also my assumption, but why would the elders have asked Imu which light needed to be extinguished if Imu could just do it at any moment it stuck his fancy? You're probably right it's just a bit weird to me

i assume that the elders and the navy are used for moments that require discretion, because blasting an entire island into the sea with uranus is gonna raise eyebrows if you do it willy-nilly. this was probably a special case because sabo had seen imu, and that's, like, the #1 top priority state secret that absolutely can't get out because it would threaten the legitimacy of the WG

i don't get the impression from the panels that imu has some kind of mindwipe/memory alteration power, but rather that removing things from history involves using his total control over the WG to enforce it ingsoc-style

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

also I think the island and everyone on it aren't dead, but sent to some sort of Shadow Realm/Purgatory. Oda wouldn't kill Sabo like that, but he also wouldn't want to wave away Imu's power as something you can just dodge or tank through if you are strong or malleable enough

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Vermain posted:

i assume that the elders and the navy are used for moments that require discretion, because blasting an entire island into the sea with uranus is gonna raise eyebrows if you do it willy-nilly. this was probably a special case because sabo had seen imu, and that's, like, the #1 top priority state secret that absolutely can't get out because it would threaten the legitimacy of the WG

That's not the impression that I had.
from what I got, the island was going to be blasted in the next few minutes in every case and it was just pure coincidence that Sabo was exactly there in that moment instead than in one of the other rebel island.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

Why is Sabo communicating NOW something he saw in Mary Geoise weeks ago, and while staying in a completely different kingdom?

From the way it's presented, Sabo has likely been on the run since whatever went down at Mary Geoise. The marines specifically mention he is not jamming his call and he is seeking refuge someplace that just had a rebellion, so we can assume he hasn't had an opportunity to reach the Revolutionary Army until now and even then had to risk being traced. Obviously we only hear the intel about the empty seat, but there may have been more he was trying to pass along that got cutoff.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

That's not the impression that I had.
from what I got, the island was going to be blasted in the next few minutes in every case and it was just pure coincidence that Sabo was exactly there in that moment instead than in one of the other rebel island.

yeah the "he's an unlucky man" thing

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
That was the most buck wild chapter of One Piece in ages. God, I'm so hyped for the final saga.

There's a lot to discuss but I wanted to shout out the smaller moment of Zoro's advice about Sabo. They all gave him poo poo for it but I love when Zoro asserts his unnoficial-first-mate guidance like that and keeps Luffy grounded.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

My interpretation was that Imu wanted Sabo dead but didn't know where he was once Sabo left Reverie, so when Sabo revealed his location on the den-den mushi, that allowed them to send the thing to wipe out the island.

I also get the impression that the Five Elder Stars aren't happy about having to do this, but they know that they have no choice but to follow Imu's orders. As additional evidence, when they order Clover to be killed on Ohara, there's a brief panel of one of the Elders doing a facepalm. Kinda feels like Imu is secretly holding the entire world hostage with whatever that thing was.

It's also obviously going to be revealed to be a flying saucer, which is coincidentally shaped like a straw hat.

Chapter was very good! It was interesting reading it because we knew there was going to be some big info because of the spoiler warnings, at first I was like "Oh we are going to find out Luffy's dream", then I thought "We're going to see Imu's face", then thought we'd learn something about Cobra, then the island gets nuked and I thought that was it, but then Bonny shows up. What a rollercoaster.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Cat Machine posted:

So we know now the Void Century was Imu basically committing planetary genocide on all the countries that opposed him?? And only a select few people managed to live on?

wano has a secret weapon that would be unleashed if it was destroyed
skypeia moves
zou moves
fishman island is under the ocean

so all of the important ally islands to joyboy are the ones that cant be deleted with cursory information. so yes, they likely survived this and im deleted the entire kingdom.

im wondering if the ocean rose as each island was deleted.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Good chap

My impression is also that the kingdom that rebelled was already being targeted for annihilation, and the fact that Sabo was there seeking refuge was just incredibly bad luck. At most, the kingdom got nuked a bit ahead of schedule to cut him off.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

BoosterDuck posted:

its probably your anus I mean uranus

Agree with this. I think Im either is Uranus, or controls it somehow. Makes sense that something called "Uranus" can destroy with impunity like that just firing from orbit, being named after a god who was specifically thought of as the personification of the sky. Fits the theme established by "Poseidon" being a ruler of the oceans by controlling the Sea Kings as well as being able to sink islands into the sea.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Good chap

My impression is also that the kingdom that rebelled was already being targeted for annihilation, and the fact that Sabo was there seeking refuge was just incredibly bad luck. At most, the kingdom got nuked a bit ahead of schedule to cut him off.

After re-reading it with this in mind, it does seem more likely that this is what happened, but that's a ridiculous coincidence even for One Piece. So it's probably true. And it makes sense that they'd want to obliterate a kingdom that rebelled.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's possible that Im's powers will actually make people forget that the kingdom existed. This is shown as possible with sugar's power and it increases the significance of the poneglyphs being carved on rock.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Strawhat Bonney

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

is this the true buster call, and the navy version just exists for the sake of clearing out witnesses? I always thought it suspicious that the navy could erase an entire island with ten battleships alone

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm 99% sure that weapon is Uranus. I'm not so sure that Imu is using it directly, though.
Sabo's probably fine, he's a logia so he naturally turns into fire when hit unless he makes himself solid like Ace did to protect Luffy, right?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
If we assume for a moment that Sabo intentionally didn't scramble his call so that the Navy could listen in and learn about Imu, it's also possible that he lied about his exact whereabouts not knowing that his lie would result in an entire island being wiped out. i.e. he's on a ship or smaller island off the coast. Something like this could flesh out exactly how SWORD and the revolutionaries' plotlines will eventually converge on taking out Imu.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/TCBScans/status/1570467894747860993

"Special circumstances"

Waffleman getting special treatment :rolleyes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You're welcome.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ooh. A few thoughts:

Robin claims the Revolutionaries are against the World Nobles, not regular kings. Then later in the chapter we see an indignant king imprisoned by Revolutionaries, lol.

Zoro bringing up Ace here is odd, because Ace ended up getting killed! If Luffy had intervened earlier (even just a few hours earlier!), then not only would Ace have been saved, but the Whitebeard War could have been avoided.

And then the :bignews:. The Five Elder Stars/Imu destroy Lulusia using what I'm pretty sure is the Ancient Weapon Uranus. It does pretty much what I'd assumed the Ancient Weapon Uranus did, at least. The only question is whether the Big Hat is Uranus or something else.

Which I guess means Sabo is dead now? OK, we shouldn't be too hasty to assume someone is dead in One Piece, and Sabo should be one of the strongest people in the world at this point (and a logia), so it's entirely plausible for him to survive the explosion. The question is, though, is there enough rubble left over after the explosion to prevent him from drowning?

And then we meet the only Supernova who the Straw Hats haven't met post-timeskip yet, who also happens to know some big secrets (about Kuma, at the very least).

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Zoro starting off the chapter with reminding us why he's first mate.

My bet is Sabo was routing his transmission through lulusia because if the nuke does have the ability to alter memory then they wouldn't try to reach Sabo through the dead line, right? If he's dead though... that's actually hilarious. Either way the stakes are raised so loving much hell yeah. I'm very excited to see what happens next.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Can't believe that bastard Sabo just destroyed an entire kingdom.....

When will his rampage end???

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
That sure was a chapter of one piece :eyepop:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Silver2195 posted:

Zoro bringing up Ace here is odd, because Ace ended up getting killed! If Luffy had intervened earlier (even just a few hours earlier!), then not only would Ace have been saved, but the Whitebeard War could have been avoided.

If Luffy intervened after Thriller Bark and successfully invaded Impel Down, then there would have been Admirals at Impel Down. They couldnt leave Marineford specifically because of Whitebeards threat. Even if Impel Down still asked the Marines to wait outside Aokiji could have just sniped every one as they left the front gate. Garp could have been there too, he had visited Ace at some point before the execution. Besides, Luffys left it up to his crew countless times and theyve pulled through. That trust in his people is something Luffy should have, and Zoros reminding him.

e: New thought. Imu marked Lulusia Kingdom off of the map. Namis going to be cheated out of her dream, because it sure seems like someone has a map of the world already.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 15, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
In any case bringing up Ace is not how I'd put Luffy's mind at ease...

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I guess we know where Uranus is now. :catstare:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
so what are the predictions on luffy's dream? "destroy the world government/celestial dragons" seems pretty obvious, i wonder if there will be a twist

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Meme Emulator posted:

e: New thought. Imu marked Lulusia Kingdom off of the map. Namis going to be cheated out of her dream, because it sure seems like someone has a map of the world already.

Luffy & Co. will likely reshape the entire world once they crush Imu and the Celestial Dragons so she'll be fine

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
it sure be like that sometimes

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

so what are the predictions on luffy's dream? "destroy the world government/celestial dragons" seems pretty obvious, i wonder if there will be a twist

I like the speculation someone posted way earlier with the Roger flashback that was like "I want to throw a feast with the whole world invited!" From the reactions I think it needs to be naive and sorta silly and not just something super noble and ambitious.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
that hit the spot

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Countblanc posted:

I think it's unlikely that Luffy's childhood dream was "destroy the world government", not gonna lie.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I think we’re gonna get an info dump from Bonney too, since she was at reverie. At least now we know definitively why there are only islands and so much ocean . . .

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like the speculation someone posted way earlier with the Roger flashback that was like "I want to throw a feast with the whole world invited!" From the reactions I think it needs to be naive and sorta silly and not just something super noble and ambitious.

Yeah, I agree. It just works.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
i have a scorching take to deliver: One Piece is Good

hosed up if true imo

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Maybe Luffy/Roger’s dream is going to the moon. That would seem silly to anyone who isn’t Enel

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Pretty sure we know what happened to God Valley now.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's going to be something like 'I'll make sure no one ever goes hungry again'

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
sabo saved himself and bonney in his giant pocket of superheated air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
luffys dream has to be something uplifting or exciting, and childish. that feels like a big feast, or the moon, or starting another pirate age or something. delivering binks sake feels like an option too.