Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Update: Chester's account appears to no longer exist.

EDIT: Let's see how this goes over.

Haschel Cedricson fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
HE GOT MURDERED BY THE NEXTDOOR MAFIA!! i HEAR THEY JOIN ALL KIND'S OF NEXTDOOR NEIGHBORHOOD'S AND BEFREND PEOPLE AND THEN ROB THEM. THEY KNEW THAT CHESTER DIDN'T HAVE A RING DOORBELL SO HE WAS AND EASIE TARGET!!
WE ALL NEED TO BE VIGILENT PEOPLE!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A single wind chime jammed through his chest

And thus the vile ding was donged

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

stay safe there could be pollsters in your neighborhood

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I went to my folks for lunch the other day in their active adult sub development and there was a republican clipboard guy going door to door and I answered and explained that none of us can vote cuz we're all felons and my dad yelled at me but my mom thought it was funny.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i dont understand the ring bell hate? its really good at telling me when a person is on my porch and i am able to trim the diagnostic area to just my yard so i don't get bombarded constantly with alerts.

is it just because its amazon and probably harvesting data about... i dunno...? fedex?

what did i miss?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wendigee posted:

i dont understand the ring bell hate? its really good at telling me when a person is on my porch and i am able to trim the diagnostic area to just my yard so i don't get bombarded constantly with alerts.

is it just because its amazon and probably harvesting data about... i dunno...? fedex?

they're used by insane people that set alerts for whenever anyone walks by on the footpath and then watches all the footage looking for "those people"

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

who gives a poo poo lol just don't login to the stupid nextdoor or whatever.

I love the doorbell I've never logged into next door that i can recall. I think they send me like a "crimes" report or something every couple of weeks but its always like 3 cars broken into that were parked on the street or a single robbery over 15 mile radius in the last month... okay and?

retired people need hobbies i think sums it all up

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ring doorbells are like caller ID for not answering the door but a lot of people with no lives treat it as CCTV/surveillance cameras and believe they're the security guards of their neighborhood.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Unperson_47 posted:

Ring doorbells are like caller ID for not answering the door but a lot of people with no lives treat it as CCTV and their the security guards of their neighborhood.

yeah that fits. they need to just get hobbies and get out of the house... i would say that covid didn't help, but i feel like most of the people complaining would also be covid deniers lol

i loving LOVE being able to ignore the dingus going door to door to try to "not sell me so its not solication" while also trying to get me to give them money. gently caress you at&t eat poo poo and die.

thankfully i am actually friends with my neighbors and we do text each other when there's a salesmen doing the routes lol.. irony not wasted.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 16, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i just don't like the idea of how hard it is to get away with murder these days cuz of assholes with bezos cctv systems. like, what if i gotta murder someone? you never know

also, yeah, most users are boomer dipshits with a new hobby of scanning footage so they have something to be paranoid/post on next door about.

also, i think they're mostly pointless for their intended use. case in point: my friend jesus lives in a house down the street (we're in a condo), nice area, leaves car unlocked in driveway - everything inside car stolen. they have a ring doorbell so they call the pigs because they have clear video of slim shady walking up to the car and taking poo poo and legging it. what do the pigs do? that's right, they shoot my friend's dog and wife. just kidding. they didn't do poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Came up earlier that in practice their practical uses are 74% having evidence to complain to delivery services for not bothering to ring the doorbell, 25% getting footage of animals doing funny things, and 1% winning dumb arguments with your neighbours.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Ring provides all the captured information to law enforcement without a warrant, regardless of reason doesn't it?

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Wendigee posted:

what did i miss?

It's also because amazon are freely giving that data to police forces all around America.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/07/amazon-finally-admits-giving-cops-ring-doorbell-data-without-user-consent/

And they're signing up new police departments all the time.

Remember, in a surveillance state everyone is a cam girl!

Party Ape fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 16, 2022

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Every main road into town is covered by a loving Flock camera, they are popping up everywhere.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Wendigee posted:

what did i miss?

The general fear culture that makes people afraid of other people and that the cops want to gather footage for their own purposes for starters.

Got an hour to spare? https://youtu.be/-xh8fgEntYo

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What We Do in the Shadows made me lol at this quick throw away joke.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Wow I didn't know all that about Ring doorbells but I'm not surprised. These people should just get a little trail cam and put it in at their bird feeder so they can watch the birds and squirrels instead so they have something to do.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol please tell me more. I am amazed to see an HOA rule I actually approve of and want to know what their reasoning was.

Is it all video doorbells or Ring specifically?

All cameras on the exterior of a home. We're right over by the Bethany cop shop anyway, I don't know why people are so paranoid.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

All cameras on the exterior of a home. We're right over by the Bethany cop shop anyway, I don't know why people are so paranoid.

The only time my camera went off when I was away from my house and I got alerted was when a bunch of cops were running through my backyard lol.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I had a real lovely neighbor for about half a year before they got evicted (one was arrested for domestic violence, but turns out they both had warrants out for them so neither was free of sin) and I got a Blink camera just to watch the driveway and make sure they didn't like, revenge-vandalize my car or something.

Normally I'd be skeptical of an Amazon product and ties to cops and poo poo but god drat this is the most useless camera. It'll give me a video when a cloud passes over the sun, or when a car drives by, but my mailman is 100% invisible to it, as are neighbors coming and going, and it only even catches me coming and going like half the time. All no matter what messing with settings or positioning I do.

The only reason I even keep it is it's pretty good at catching when cats use my porch as a place to hang out and that's nice to see.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Tokyo Sex Whale fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 18, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Good solid advice by Anderson there, A+ tip to always keep in mind, it's never gonna steer you wrong.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dennis Zawacki only sees life through the lens of the democRAT.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
99% of people in your area who like to say "that's why I never go downtown anymore" or "that's why I never go into the city anymore" never actually went downtown or into the city

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

99% of people in your area who like to say "that's why I never go downtown anymore" or "that's why I never go into the city anymore" never actually went downtown or into the city

It's this. Rural people here are talking like they have ever been anywhere other than the nordstroms.

And also California be crazy y'all! Have you heard what's going on down there? So vague, like I watch whatever reactionary youtube you're specifically referencing.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I long to move to America, where a man may chase another man down the street and jump upon him with his genital out. If only a political party would let me.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Baronjutter posted:

What We Do in the Shadows made me lol at this quick throw away joke.

What the gently caress is with Nextdoor: It turned into an orgy of racism

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
one of dem dere illegals high on drugs yerp yerp

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still remember that r/relationships thread post where a guy went from the small town to the city and was genuinely shocked that people actually like, lived their lives there and made friends and went out and he wasn't being assaulted on the street for being cis, and then went back to the small down and noticed how awful and lovely it was and no one would believe him when he talked about the city.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I don't like Kevin AT ALL.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When the squirrels dig
Up the lawn for nuts
Who ya gonna call?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kevin your loving squirrel is digging up my lawn again.

No, I know it's yours because you have a GPS collar on it.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It's this. Rural people here are talking like they have ever been anywhere other than the nordstroms.

And also California be crazy y'all! Have you heard what's going on down there? So vague, like I watch whatever reactionary youtube you're specifically referencing.

"I remember when there was a song called "California Dreamin''", but they might as well call it "California NIGHTMARE" now when you look at what democRATs have done to the place!"

It's strange, crime rates have plummeted and boomers either have fond memories of those cities back in their youth, when things were objectively worse. Or they accurately remember that things were lovely in the 80s and assume nothing has changed since then

The other day I had to spend 20 minutes listening to a woman from Brooklyn talk about moving out because crime has gotten so much worse in NYC since her childhood, because someone got stabbed like a block away from her house! It wasn't like that in the 70s (it totally was x3) because she had brothers that protected her!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I also fondly remember the days when organized crime was the best go to for personal protection especially for poor and minority communities. Oh wait

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The crime rates were much lower when you in your suburban home only ever had to hear about crimes secondhand from the nightly news, instead of seeing it on your news feed every time someone sees a minority and views "making me see a minority" as a crime they can post about.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I dunno what the big deal is there were Guardian Angels then and there are Guardian Angels now. Obviously crime isn't a problem bing bong

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Just to be safe, let's keep on eye on that dude