Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dpkg chopra posted:

I have a 2020 Kia Rio S. It is very needs suiting, despite having been a desperation buy in the hellscape of 2021. I'm also aware that it's also basically a glorified RC car.

We might possibly be having to move in a couple of months, from GA to NY. As far as I can tell, all of our possessions should fit in the smaller U-Haul trailers.

I'm considering our different options and while I personally would like the convenience of just towing everything and dropping the trailer at the nearest U-Haul location, I feel like installing a hitch on such a small car is a bad idea and I'm looking for some confirmation.

A 5x8 uhaul trailer weights 900 lbs, almost half of what you can tow with that thing. So all your belongings would need to fit into that AND weigh less than 1100 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In that situation I would seriously consider renting a van / box truck from UHaul and a car hauler to tow the car on. A 10' UHaul truck pulling your Rio is going to be a much nicer towing experience than your Rio towing its max capacity.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
GA to NY is a lot of Appalachian passes I'd be hesitant to tow both with a compact prime mover and the rinky dink 55mph U-Haul mini trailer while also being a first time tower.

Another vote for van and convoy or truck and car trailer.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone for the insight.

I hadn't considered that the road would have some mountain turns, but yeah that makes sense.

Truck + car tow was the second option, with eventually Truck and going back for the car if necessary.

I'd rather avoid the convoy because with just two of us and such a long drive, I'd feel safer if we had the option to switch drivers when necessary.

Thanks again.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hi, folks!

Proposed Budget: under $50K
New or Used: New
Body Style:SUV
How will you be using the car?: We're a family of 3, occasionally driving as many as 5 people, although that's not a requirement. We live out in the boonies in Northern California, which means we routinely make 4-hour round-trips to see the doctor, or 3-hour round-trips to hit the Costco. Our current 2015 Fit was great for city life, but is noisy and uncomfortable for long-haul driving. We are routinely going to be taking large bags to the dump (still unpacking from our last move), so hauling capacity is important. A couple of contractor-size bags is about the space we'd need. We appreciate driving aids like parking assist, lane keep, and so on. We don't care about luxury trims. We don't drive off-road, but we do occasionally drive on dirt roads. Being able to haul would be very handy.

We routinely drive on very winding roads with a drop, so handling is important.

We generally buy cars new, for cash, and then drive them until they break too frequently. The Fit is an exception to our rule, because our use has changed.

What aspects are most important to you?
* Interior quiet & comfort
* Gas mileage (prefer hybrid)
* Moderate hauling ability

I'm aware that this is a terrible year to buy a car, and even more terrible to buy a hybrid. I'm expecting to go on a wait list and (wince) to pay over MSRP.

Consumer Reports likes the 2022 Hyundai Tucson hybrid, which is of course made of unobtanium, but welcome to 2022. What cars should we be looking at, and what should we expect?

e: We are cheapskates, although we have bought an Audi and an Acura Integra in the past. We will never, ever do our own maintenance.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 14, 2022

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Smallsize 3row: Sportage / Tucson, Highlander
Midsize 3row: Telluride / Palisade, Traverse, Pilot
Minivan: Carnival, Sienna, Odyssey

I’d lean towards a Telluride or Palisade. Not hybrid but if 80% of your mileage is constant 55mph+ then a hybrid drivetrain kinda doesn’t matter. Hybrids are like 100% more efficient at stop/go/stop/go city stuff and like 5% more efficient at highway speeds.

Minivans in there because minivans are seriously the best things available for actual hauling, and the Sienna is always hybrid.

Edit: hmmm if you’re doing hilly road stuff and only rarely need to transport 5 (without luggage) then a hybrid Sportage / Tucson / Highlander are pretty choice. Highlander will be more expensive but, y’know, Toyota.

DNK fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 14, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DNK posted:

I’d lean towards a Telluride or Palisade. Not hybrid but if 80% of your mileage is constant 55mph+ then a hybrid drivetrain kinda doesn’t matter. Hybrids are like 100% more efficient at stop/go/stop/go city stuff and like 5% more efficient at highway speeds.
Because of the hills and turns, our long-haul drives are not constant speed at all. Add in other people on the road, and it varies from 50 to 30. Most of our actual driving is village-to-town; it's more that when we do make long-haul drives, we need to be comfortable. I'd guesstimate about 12-15 drives a year from 200-300 miles round-trip, with the rest being local.

California State Road 20

Also, I made a typo: when I said "being able to haul would be very handy", I meant "It would be nice to be able to tow a small U-haul trailer very rarely."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

zedprime posted:

GA to NY is a lot of Appalachian passes I'd be hesitant to tow both with a compact prime mover and the rinky dink 55mph U-Haul mini trailer while also being a first time tower.

Another vote for van and convoy or truck and car trailer.

what passes are you talking about? run 85 to 95 and there are not a lot of passes

I agree towing is not clever here but it's not because of the mountains.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dpkg chopra posted:

Thanks everyone for the insight.

I hadn't considered that the road would have some mountain turns, but yeah that makes sense.

Truck + car tow was the second option, with eventually Truck and going back for the car if necessary.

I'd rather avoid the convoy because with just two of us and such a long drive, I'd feel safer if we had the option to switch drivers when necessary.

Thanks again.

this is a weird take to me - just drive a truck and drive the car and swap off as necessary, take breaks, and do it over multiple days

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what passes are you talking about? run 85 to 95 and there are not a lot of passes

I agree towing is not clever here but it's not because of the mountains.
Atlanta to Charlotte on 85 would annoy the poo poo out of me if I was in a Kia Rio hauling a trailer. Then you can either take your Kia Rio hauling a trailer through 85 and the DC Philly NJ turnpike hell corridor or stay on the hills riding up 81.

Maybe I am tripping you up calling them passes causes it's not exactly Rockies or Sierra bullshit roads. Its not going to take a very steep hill to make you care about things normal drivers don't notice like engine and brake temps if you are driving a compact at it's tow limit through even the nice gentle interstates going over the Appalachians.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

Atlanta to Charlotte on 85 would annoy the poo poo out of me if I was in a Kia Rio hauling a trailer. Then you can either take your Kia Rio hauling a trailer through 85 and the DC Philly NJ turnpike hell corridor or stay on the hills riding up 81.

Maybe I am tripping you up calling them passes causes it's not exactly Rockies or Sierra bullshit roads. Its not going to take a very steep hill to make you care about things normal drivers don't notice like engine and brake temps if you are driving a compact at it's tow limit through even the nice gentle interstates going over the Appalachians.

You can't even make it up I95 without drafting semis up the hills in something that low powered. I know this for sure because I've done it with a uhaul trailer in a 94 ranger.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Get the Uhaul truck, load it with whatever. Convoy it. Plan to stop every few hours to stretch your legs, eat, piss whatever. Take a couple days to do it and book a hotel room or two. Whoever is in the car stays in the back to run blocker. People are notorious assholes to people in cars, and tend to be even worse with people in trucks. Get the van/truck driver to signal lane changes early whenever possible and whoever is driving the car pays attention, gets their rear end over to the next lane and gives the truck room to move over. That'll take care of 90% of that type of poo poo. The other 10% just have to remember, gently caress other drivers.

For quick communications, use FRS radios, or GMRS or whatever the gently caress they call that poo poo. Obey state and local laws WRT "device" use while driving obviously.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If all your possessions fit into 8-ft trailer, you don't even need a truck, just a short roof cargo van. Those drive much nicer. And yeah, much easier to handle than economy car at a towing limit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

DNK posted:

Smallsize 3row: Sportage / Tucson,
Midsize 3row: Telluride / Palisade,

Are these slashes because they're the same car rebadged, or because they're similar, or because they're tied for first place?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Are these slashes because they're the same car rebadged, or because they're similar, or because they're tied for first place?

Hyundai owns a huge stake in Kia so they share platforms.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Despite sharing platforms they have very differently styled interiors and exteriors and the driving dynamics aren't identical so buy the one you prefer with the better price.

I'd probably buy a Highlander Hybrid and be done with it, personally.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Hyundai owns a huge stake in Kia so they share platforms.

And Kia has substantial stakes in a number of Hyundai family companies! Just chaebol things. The companies share platforms but are hilariously, insanely competitive with each other for what I assume are also just chaebol things.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

coveted triple post: you probably want to look at the Kia Sorento rather than the Sportage if you go that route.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

coveted triple post: you probably want to look at the Kia Sorento rather than the Sportage if you go that route.

Google says the Sorento has been cancelled and replaced by the Carnaval. How bad an idea is buying a first-year car?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Google says the Sorento has been cancelled and replaced by the Carnaval. How bad an idea is buying a first-year car?

The Carnival replaced the Sedona in the minivan/MPV space. The Sorento is still available.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

And Kia has substantial stakes in a number of Hyundai family companies! Just chaebol things. The companies share platforms but are hilariously, insanely competitive with each other for what I assume are also just chaebol things.

Huh I had no idea. I always assumed the Kia/Hyundai relationship was essentially the same as Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura. That's fascinating to hear that they're actually semi-competitors.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

drat, I was trying to set up a test drive, and the closest dealership, a mere 3 hours away, now has no hybrids on the lot; there were three yesterday, at $7K over MSRP.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

incogneato posted:

Huh I had no idea. I always assumed the Kia/Hyundai relationship was essentially the same as Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura. That's fascinating to hear that they're actually semi-competitors.

Genesis is Hyundai/Genesis like Toyota/Lexus.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

incogneato posted:

They started out as completely separate companies. Eventually they got closer and part of that meant parts and platform sharing, but they are not and have never been the same company, probably the best analogy would be like Renault/Nissan in markets where both are sold.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

So since I'm great at making financially sound decisions I am buying a BMW 135i with 57k miles on it.

They are offering me a 5 year 60k mile warranty through Veritas for $4.7k. Normally I would just say no thanks and carry on but this is my first foray into BMW ownership and I wanted to ask the internet if it was actually a good idea.

I'm 99% sure the answer is no, but I wanted to check.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Don't know about Veritas in particular, but most aftermarket warranty companies get you to pay them a bunch of money and then fight the poo poo out of you to not have to actually pay up for warranty work.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

$4.7k is about exactly the amount of warranty repairs you'll need done in that time, it'll be your coolant expansion tank and some random bullshit

And yeah you're gonna have to fight them for every red dime

They've done the math and they know they'll pay out less than that, otherwise they wouldn't offer it at that price

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

You're generally money ahead by foregoing the extended warranty and just paying for the repairs as you need them. The "warranty" is just prepayment for repairs they think you'll need, + a markup. The only way you come out ahead is if your car ends up being a complete disaster, which is a weird way to win.

Plan on spending about $1000/year on repairs and set it aside ahead of time.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Yeah, gonna do what Nancy Reagan said and just say no. Felt like I should run it by the internet first though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I've never bought one but I think you can just contact whoever the service provider is (or a different one, whatever) and they'll probably sell it to you for far less than what the dealer is asking. Salespeople are pushy on things that generate the most profit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If it’s an actual BMW extended warranty it will pay out, but this isn’t, so it won’t.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think the Route 66 warranty for $3k is still well regarded.

https://www.penfed.org/auto/extended-warranty

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true
I'm thinking of trading in my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I don't do a lot of commuting, and I'm looking for a dog car/camping vehicle.

What I am currently considering is a 2 door newer Wrangler, or an outback, or similar. But what else should I be thinking about? RAV4? What's the utilitarian/money smart choice? I like the look of some Volvo wagons but those are also expensive since I'm looking to be under 40.

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

The Clitoris posted:

I'm thinking of trading in my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I don't do a lot of commuting, and I'm looking for a dog car/camping vehicle.

What I am currently considering is a 2 door newer Wrangler, or an outback, or similar. But what else should I be thinking about? RAV4? What's the utilitarian/money smart choice? I like the look of some Volvo wagons but those are also expensive since I'm looking to be under 40.

On the face of it a GC that you already own and have (maybe?) paid for and know all about etc seems like a perfectly reasonable answer to that particular question, notwithstanding having the stink of Chrysler on it. What needs do you have that you feel aren't being met by it, or, what does it do/not do for you that a replacement vehicle should do/not do?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The title says no salvage titles and I get that 100% having a car that I totaled and rebuilt myself, but does that also apply to cars that were in accidents that got repaired without being totaled out? It will be inspected by a shop but I know that damage that pushes a part out of alignment enough to be a pain to work on can be imperceptible to the eye.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The title says no salvage titles and I get that 100% having a car that I totaled and rebuilt myself, but does that also apply to cars that were in accidents that got repaired without being totaled out? It will be inspected by a shop but I know that damage that pushes a part out of alignment enough to be a pain to work on can be imperceptible to the eye.

OMG are you kidding me? Is this about the Legacy with the rebuilt motor?

Just stop. I love how you spread out just how bad things are between multiple threads while you shop for the answer you want to hear.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, I'll go with the plain old low mileage Accord I'm also looking at. I just like 4wd since I've got six months of winter. I thought this would be the appropriate place to ask this question, I'm trying to spread questions to the right threads, not shop for the answer I want. I've got a history of buying cheap cars with a questionable provenance and fixing them, but now that I'm not spending thousands per month on medical bills and am actually making decent money I'm trying to break the habit of cheaping out on everything, which is why I'm asking questions to keep me honest. I appreciate the feedback.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sanity is worth a lot. So is time. If you can afford it, buy stuff that doesn't drive you crazy. That's my vote.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

We've had a Delica at our rural cabin for a while and it's been a bit of a problem because almost none of the local mechanics really want to deal with the thing. You pretty much got to beg them. It's been annoying and making us a bit nervous for what happens if something major actually goes wrong, so either we personally get very good at Delica repair or we bring it back to civilization and sell it and replace it with something that the local mechanics do know. Given that Delicas are currently selling at a premium, it seems like the latter is a very good option and that's what we're going to do.

So what do we replace it with?

It would need to comfortably fit a family of five and need to be a good 4x4.

Price: Cheaper the better. We can probably sell the Delica for C$18k, so any less than that gives us some money we can use to improve the cabin, which is always good.

Can be quite high mileage since it would not be used that often.

Given our history with mechanics it's gotta be something 'normal' so JDM stuff as much as I love it is off the table.

This suggests that something like a 4Runner or XTerra could be good if we're looking at SUVs. Brother suggested that a pickup could be best given that it would be easier to clean if he can throw dirty stuff (eg. his dogs, deers he kills hunting) in back of a pickup and wash it down with a hose after. With that in mind a Tacoma could be good. Those seem pricy. He suggested then maybe a Nissan Frontier. Seems like there's some bad years in the middle but something before 2004 and after 2011 could be ok. Anyone have any thoughts on those?

Any other options I'm not thinking of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

We've had a Delica at our rural cabin

If a Delica is even an option I don't think many people are going to know what would constitute "normal" for wherever it is you're talking about.