Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Violen posted:

i really don't think there's more to the events than the literal destruction of an island by whatever means we saw. i don't think im striking out the island on a map represents anything more than dramatic direction indicating the choice of target, and i don't think the language involved in erasing something from history speaks to anything more than a practical enforcement of that by way of threat and censorship same as they handled ohara and modern prying into/records of the void century/ancient kingdom and their relics. the elders outright threaten the surveillance team to forget what they heard if they know what's good for them after panicking about sabo's impending words (doubling up on risk of revealing both the existence/possible detailed identity of im depending on what he saw, and revealing the WG's resident superweapon in the middle of planned use). i also think the order of conversation between the elders is that sabo was just born under a bad star here.

Yeah absolutely
weve already seen what erased from history means: just the WG killing or imprisoning everyone and keeping any info under tight lock and key, and since everyone lives on islands far away from each other, with especially dangerous travel the further you go down the grand line/new world, its a relatively easy job to keep everyone in the dark.

What i meant is the buster call is to terrorize and beat down any resistance, the superweapon is for when they/imu wants things absolutely gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
i know we’ll find out more later but for right now, what the gently caress what the gently caress what the gently caress, how are they gonna explain “we reduced an entire island/kingdom to a steaming mushroom orb cloud”

Someone else mentioned it and it’s possible that the world of One Piece was an actual proper world like our earth and not a bunch of islands of varying sizes before the Void Century happened if the World Government had this on hand.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

i know we’ll find out more later but for right now, what the gently caress what the gently caress what the gently caress, how are they gonna explain “we reduced an entire island/kingdom to a steaming mushroom orb cloud”

"aw jeez, oh no, another unexplained natural disaster, such is life on the Grand Line I guess" :geno:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Star Platinum posted:

"aw jeez, oh no, another unexplained natural disaster, such is life on the Grand Line I guess" :geno:

its kinda scary how much sense that makes.

And thinking about it further, maybe if the Void Century was just a hundred years of nukes, maybe that’s why the Grand Line is so hosed up :aaaaa:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So luffys dream is going to space and sailing around up there right? King space pirate?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Found this on reddit:

Pretty cool if true. Remember "16 holy bullets"! Looks like Pluton might be a upside/down hat shaped ship designed to catch Uranus?

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
I forget, does Luffy have a Vivre card for Sabo? Also now I’m wondering if the term “Void Century” is more literal than we think, as Sabo being sent to some sort of purgatory dimension via Im’s space laser seems a bit more likely than him just getting wiped out like that. Wouldn’t be the first time we see a power that seems like it’s vaporizing people turn out to just send them elsewhere…Who knows!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Panic Restaurant posted:

I forget, does Luffy have a Vivre card for Sabo? Also now I’m wondering if the term “Void Century” is more literal than we think, as Sabo being sent to some sort of purgatory dimension via Im’s space laser seems a bit more likely than him just getting wiped out like that. Wouldn’t be the first time we see a power that seems like it’s vaporizing people turn out to just send them elsewhere…Who knows!!

The Shadow Realm...4Kids tried to warn us....

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder how the Celestial Dragons factor into all this as well (they’re completely above most laws and are basically treated like gods)

I also wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out that the WG itself is illegitimate and are essentially the descendants of invaders (they seem pretty scared about anyone trying to learn the truth regarding the Void Century after all)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 16, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If anyone was feeling fatigued by Wano, the series has reasserted itself with a bang. I can't wait to hear what Bonney has to say. What a chapter.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I can't believe Imu killed Blackbeard just like that.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
was the warm water thing related to the huge god beams

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Guys you’re way overthinking this. There’s just someone with the Orbital Bombardment Orbital Bombardment No Mi.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Wait, new theory regarding Uranus: It drains the user’s lifespan or outright kills the user (and is too powerful to allow a subordinate to use). Imu is immortal thanks to a previous user of the Op Op Fruit, but still has to pay a price every time he uses it by going into a hibernation-like state for a few years. This fits with some of the things Doflamingo has said about the Celestial Dragons’ secret treasure and about the Op Op Fruit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tbp posted:

was the warm water thing related to the huge god beams

seems like it, the source of the heat seemed to be the globe that Zoro shanked since it got less turbulent after that

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Papa Jimbei gonna have to fish his two kids out of the ocean and you just know Chopper's gonna be crying about his hat being gone, hope Robin has some cotton candy to cheer him up

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Well if that isn't an ancient weapon I dunno what is. I guess with Luffy's Awakening and shifting world powers the WG king is ready to start the great war before Laugh Tale is rediscovered.

"BEHOLD THE GREATEST WEAPON, THE MIGHTY... URANUS!"
Bradleyyy

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have no idea how even gear five Luffy is meant to stop that. Presumably the other ancient weapons, but it raises the stakes just the right amount.

Don't think I've jonesed for the next chapter so soon after the one I've just read quite this badly in a long while.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

One Piece Manga Thread: Uranus is an Ancient Weapon

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Holy shiiiiit

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I have no idea how even gear five Luffy is meant to stop that.
gum gum balloon

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Just look at the smile.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 16, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I have to admit, in spite of them being heavily implied to have just nuked a whole island and being the secret world ruler, seeing Imu just hanging out in their garden playing with butterflies is oddly cute.

The utter dissonance is a really cool way to establish some characterisation.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Luffy grabs a biiig pot and the beams curve back

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I have no idea how even gear five Luffy is meant to stop that. Presumably the other ancient weapons, but it raises the stakes just the right amount.

He looks up, smiles real wide, and the lasers bounce harmlessly off of his teeth!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Terper posted:

Luffy grabs a biiig pot and the beams curve back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5gUh5MkRQ&t=228s

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Mirrors. Brûlée confirmed for next Strawhat!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Don't think I've jonesed for the next chapter so soon after the one I've just read quite this badly in a long while.

Luffy would turn the island to rubber

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Marluxia posted:

I can't believe Imu killed Blackbeard just like that.

But seriously, what happened to Moda, Dr. Blackbeard and the other folks from Ace's cover story here? That was the same island that Imu just nuked :ohdear:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

goblin week posted:

I am rubber, you are glue.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbTV4M0MUoI

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well, between everyone worrying about Vivi, and Bonney showing up when the last time we saw here was at Levely... maybe the next arc is going to be Mary Geoise. Or at the very least we might not end up going to that random island the Log Pose picked out.

It's been so long since the Log Pose took us to a random island. We were so close!

Also, it's pretty clear to me the Gorosei/Im were about to blow up that island anyway and they were calling Sabo unlucky. Whatever weapon they have seems like it needs to be in position first.

My guess as to how Sabo survived (because we know he survived) was that he was just routing the call through Lulusia somehow. Maybe he even knew somehow that the island was about to be destroyed and was doing it to fake his death or something if he's terrified of Im's power or something like that.

I gotta say I don't know how I feel about this new superweapon. I thought the Buster Call was incredibly cool because it was built up as a way to erase islands from history, and we were kind of meant to imagine terrifying sky lasers, but it wasn't. It was "just" a fire bombardment. It wasn't the technology that was terrifying, it was the intent. It was in part about the huge number of people the World Government had at its disposal to follow horrific orders without question. I thought that was really cool and terrifying.

And now we've got the sky lasers. It almost feels redundant unless there's more going on. I guess they've cut the Navy out of the operation, which is actually a pretty big deal now that I think about it. It's weird that the Gorosei trusted the organization under Sengoku, and now that a hardliner absolutist is in charge they're taking matters more into their own hands.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Eiba posted:

Well, between everyone worrying about Vivi, and Bonney showing up when the last time we saw here was at Levely... maybe the next arc is going to be Mary Geoise. Or at the very least we might not end up going to that random island the Log Pose picked out.

It's been so long since the Log Pose took us to a random island. We were so close!

Also, it's pretty clear to me the Gorosei/Im were about to blow up that island anyway and they were calling Sabo unlucky. Whatever weapon they have seems like it needs to be in position first.

My guess as to how Sabo survived (because we know he survived) was that he was just routing the call through Lulusia somehow. Maybe he even knew somehow that the island was about to be destroyed and was doing it to fake his death or something if he's terrified of Im's power or something like that.

I gotta say I don't know how I feel about this new superweapon. I thought the Buster Call was incredibly cool because it was built up as a way to erase islands from history, and we were kind of meant to imagine terrifying sky lasers, but it wasn't. It was "just" a fire bombardment. It wasn't the technology that was terrifying, it was the intent. It was in part about the huge number of people the World Government had at its disposal to follow horrific orders without question. I thought that was really cool and terrifying.

And now we've got the sky lasers. It almost feels redundant unless there's more going on. I guess they've cut the Navy out of the operation, which is actually a pretty big deal now that I think about it. It's weird that the Gorosei trusted the organization under Sengoku, and now that a hardliner absolutist is in charge they're taking matters more into their own hands.

He's pretty clearly seeing and reacting to Big Beam here along with everyone else.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

goblin week posted:

If that's why they fear Luffy's fruit that would be hilarious. Screw Pluton, I want this to be how they counter Uranus.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Seeing it again that sure looks like the shadow of

A Big Hat

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

blizzardvizard posted:

Logias for elements that are normally airborne like Smoker and Caesar can probably fly indefinitely using their own power alone, but other logias seem to only be able to travel short distances through the air when transforming. It's like they're jumping and/or gliding.

e: Although I guess Sabo might be able to use his flames to generate some sort of rocket propulsion

Sabo should be able to fly but hed need a hot air balloon setup to do it.

Bisse posted:

Found this on reddit:

Pretty cool if true. Remember "16 holy bullets"! Looks like Pluton might be a upside/down hat shaped ship designed to catch Uranus?

Uranus is the strawhat shaped weapon. Pluton will be the upside down shaped hat weapon. Attaching them together requires the work of 100s of sea kings, but when you put them together in One Piece, you get a ufo to go to the moon with.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 16, 2022

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
kizaru's uranus

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
not to be confused with kizaru's im, which is also true

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I like how lasers were their own attack category that kept ramping up through the manga until this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Violen posted:

not to be confused with kizaru's im, which is also true

This guy really gets around because hes also Vegapunk