Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Harold Fjord posted:

Wait, who is pash exactly?

Pash / Our Lady of the Passion is Commander Wake's niece, therefore she's Gideon's cousin.

Which explains this line from the cover reveal interview.

quote:

How do you cope when the biggest jerk in the universe … turns out to be your secret crush’s out-of-town cousin?!?!”

Edit:

quote:

Also, Nona is about a friend you know getting super, super drunk at the club, and you’re sitting with him in the local McDonald’s at midnight as he tells you a bunch of incredibly intimate details about something you always wondered about, and you’re torn between wishing you were not in this McDonald’s and egging him on, because you know he’s really, really going to regret telling you all this when he’s sober.
OH BOY it sure is

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Now that I'm finished I'll cross post from the Seattle thread

Happy Landfill posted:

Said "have a nice gay!" instead of "have a nice day!" to the cashier at King's Books today as I was picking up Nona The Ninth, a book about sci-fi lesbians, and now I can never go back :supaburn:

I'll try and post more thoughts later after work but I was up until 2am finishing last night (not really Spoilers, but just in case) my god were those last chapters were surreal as hell. everything from the megatruck and on almost didn't feel real, but in a good way. it was a lot. also lol megatruck

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 16, 2022

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ah, right, the other thing I noticed speaking of Jod hating the trillionaires was that one of BoE's complaints in As Yet Unseen was him locking people into contracts for the lifetime of the Emperor Undying...

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

Pash / Our Lady of the Passion is Commander Wake's niece, therefore she's Gideon's cousin.

Which explains this line from the cover reveal interview.

Oh right. Awesome. These books are awesome.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

I think there's a chunk of Gideon in nona and not in Gideon, because all of g's banter is sort of nasty. Nona has the love.

I kind of don't want to believe this but mostly because God-loving-dammit it's hard enough keeping track of whose soul is in whose body. If I have to start keeping track of soul fragments I might go batshit insane

Rand Brittain posted:

It's not exactly surprising that people are coming up with reasons why Gideon deciding to live with her dad and being somewhat cold to Palamedes has to be the result of magic, but... is it really that bizarre? Gideon is kind of coldly polite to Camilla and Palamedes, who she knew for a couple of days and is now on opposite sides to, is extremely hostile to Nona, who's wandering around in the body she cared about, and seems to have become besties with Ianthe, who she previously strongly disliked but also offered to marry on the grounds of having the same awful taste in jokes. She still seems interested in Harrowhark's fate (although she acts like she isn't when she's with her enemies) and she's openly brofectionate with Aiglamene.

Her behavior seems pretty reasonable? Like, it's extremely unfortunate that she's bought into her dad's offers of affection, importance, and a place in the world, but when you get right down to it she didn't have a lot of other options, and it strikes me as only too reasonable that after spending her whole life around basically three people, finally getting involved in a bunch of different social relationships has resulted in her transforming into an almost unrecognizable person. (Plus I think her dad is probably extremely sincere about wanting a relationship with her even if he's also evil and will gently caress her over if that becomes in his interest.)

This. All of this.

Kiriona/Gideon has been mistreated and kind of shat on for most of her life. And not just in a "this is what happens to peasants/underlings" but in a pretty specific and personal way. And now she has power, both personal and political power. She doesn't have to be the underdog anymore because she's now the second most important person in the universe and that feels pretty loving good to someone who's been fairly powerless for most of her existence. She still cares about Harrow, beyond romance, she feels she owes Harrow for keeping her soul unmunched as a Lyctor. Living with John and being God's Daughter puts her in a very good position to help Harrow. I don't see her being "besties" with Ianthe so much as going along for the ride because figure the constant kiss-assing by John's people probably got really old really fast.

Kiriona/Gideon is kind of cold with Camilla and "Sex Pal" because they're not really her friends. They've also taken possession of Harrow's body and apparently put some other person's soul in it. Still she doesn't slaughter the lot of them and drag Nona back to John. And she very much could. She does allow things to play out. Meanwhile, she willing and happy to accompany them to the Locked Tomb because it might be a way to heal/restore Harrow. But also because she really, really wants to rub those Ninth House fuckers faces in the fact that she, the person they abused and sneered at for so long, is actually the Daughter of God the Emperor. And maybe some apologies and groveling are in order. Kiriona/Gideon may still be a good person. She probably is. But I don't think she's necessarily a nice and forgiving person. At least not to that level.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Nona absolutely does not love burgers (along with not loving all other food either). She loves burger/fish & chip shop shirts. That was the big twist for the book

Everyone posted:

Kiriona/Gideon is kind of cold with Camilla and "Sex Pal" because they're not really her friends. They've also taken possession of Harrow's body and apparently put some other person's soul in it. Still she doesn't slaughter the lot of them and drag Nona back to John. And she very much could. She does allow things to play out.
They're not super best friends, but they got along fine before. And Palamedes did blow himself up to try to save everybody at the end of Canaan House. Didn't stick, but he should get some points for effort.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I would think that given Sex Pal was about the only person Harrow respected, and he blew himself up to save them all, there’s an implicit trust there even if they were never personally close. Gideon respects actions and that was a hell of an action.

John and Kiriona’s relationship isn’t magic, she’s clearly being manipulated by a charismatic cult leader type. She’s spent her entire life being shat on for who she is, she was born to be a bomb, she’s used by everyone around her, she gave her soul to Harrow who didn’t even want it, etc. Of course if the Kindly Prince comes along, isolates her from her friends, lovebombs her and tells her how important she is, and offers her power, fame, and family, she’s going to take it. All her brain cells were contained in Harrow, figuratively and literally.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 17, 2022

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Book 3 notes Anyone else notice how the Necrolord's doctrine of killing all other world spirits on sight prevents any rivals from surfacing? I feel like most any necromancer could become JOD if there were any world spirits left alive to lyctor with

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Loel posted:

Book 3 notes Anyone else notice how the Necrolord's doctrine of killing all other world spirits on sight prevents any rivals from surfacing? I feel like most any necromancer could become JOD if there were any world spirits left alive to lyctor with

:hmmyes:

I'm pretty sure he's going to try to get Gideon to eat the rest

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Everyone posted:

Kiriona/Gideon has been mistreated and kind of shat on for most of her life. And not just in a "this is what happens to peasants/underlings" but in a pretty specific and personal way. And now she has power, both personal and political power. She doesn't have to be the underdog anymore because she's now the second most important person in the universe and that feels pretty loving good to someone who's been fairly powerless for most of her existence. She still cares about Harrow, beyond romance, she feels she owes Harrow for keeping her soul unmunched as a Lyctor. Living with John and being God's Daughter puts her in a very good position to help Harrow. I don't see her being "besties" with Ianthe so much as going along for the ride because figure the constant kiss-assing by John's people probably got really old really fast.

Then why can Ianthe turn her on and off like like an automaton?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

A friend has just started reading these books and his commentary as he goes along is a delight. But he's also a fast reader so I'm going to have to actually focus if I'm going to finish Nona before he does.

Also, as an aside, finally got myself a copy of The Dawnhounds after this thread put me on it. The blurb is very enticing and it's going to be the first thing after Nona for me.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

I want to say it’s the bracelet, but Gideon/Kitiona is a revenant which means a lyctor as the necromancer of necromancers, is going to have power over a spirit possessing its corpse.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Finished Nona. It's great! Different feel than the other two and there's a little drag between the barracks and the trip back to the Ninth, but nothing major. Nona, herself, is delightful.

One thing I really appreciate about the books is that many of the characters who you think are awful people still have some manage to make you cheer for them: Crux sacrificing himself to roll away the rock; Mercymorn disintegrating John; Augustine dropping John into the river. Even John, as awful as he is and despite all the evil things he's done, is still just a brokebrained sad sack who had an incomprehensible level power thrust upon him, ultimately bungling everything because he's overly vindictive, selfish, and insecure.

I want to see a Locked Tomb TV mini-series just for the varied characters each protagonist's actor would have to play. Harrow's body goes on quite the journey and the naive and childlike wonder Nona engages the world with would be an interesting visual contrast from the dark-and-brooding Reverend Daughter of Gideon or the stretched-to-a-breaking-point Harrowhark the First of Harrow. I don't recall if it's explicitly described in the text, but I read Nona as a bundle of excited energy and near constant fidgety motion.

Now the wait for Alecto :(

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Harold Fjord posted:

:hmmyes:

I'm pretty sure he's going to try to get Gideon to eat the rest

That seems... unlikely since Gideon/Kiriona isn't a necromancer. Maybe if she becomes one somehow, but not unless that happens.

M_Gargantua posted:

Can she? I thought Gideon/Kiriona just "played dead" when that happened. I could be wrong, but given the multiple treacheries of Lyctors at the end of Harrow the Ninth you'd think that John would have given Gideon some kind of protection/immunity to that stuff to keep her from being taken hostage.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Honestly I think my biggest takeaway from this book was how do you not also burst in to tears when Cam does???

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I sent a screenshot of the birthday party dog invite list to a friend because Noodle won me over on page 1. They responded that it looked like Nona had a real "pawty" planned and I'm now irrationally mad that Tamsyn didn't fit that pun into the dialogue somewhere :mad:

Noodle being pivotal in keeping Nona going was adorable. Bless his little arboreal legs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gideon clearly liked and trusted Palamedes and Camilla in Gideon, my take on it is that she feels a bit betrayed by them. She's not in a good place and probably reads their actions in the worst way, especially with inathe and John around to give their version of the story.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Happy Landfill posted:

Honestly I think my biggest takeaway from this book was how do you not also burst in to tears when Cam does???

What destroyed me was "We are one flesh." "I am your end."

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

One thing to keep in mind about Gideon is that as of the end of HtN she feels rejected / abandoned by Harrow:

HtN posted:

I think the main thing I should have said was, You sawed open your skull rather than be beholden to someone. You turned your brain into soup to escape anything less than 100 percent freedom. You put me in a box and buried me rather than give up your own goddamned agenda.

Harrowhark, I gave you my whole life and you didn’t even want it.

Since then she's had six months or so to hang out with Jod (wow she has family now) and Ianthe (a bad influence in the best of cases) and continue to stew while under their influence. She's definitely still got a bunch of classic (if angrier) Gideon attitude and banter tossing around 'Sex Pal' and offering 'U Lap' and 'Aulp' for 'Paul', which makes me believe she's not just a recreation or simulation. And she clearly still is very concerned with Harrow:

NtN posted:

Kiriona said, “Where is she?”
Nona didn’t know what to say. The corpse prince urged—
“Come on. Where’d she go? Where is she?”
“I don’t know who you’re talking about,” said Nona miserably.
“Listen, she can be in hell for all I care, I won’t get mad,” said Kiriona. “She can be at the bottom of the sea or at the bottom of space. I just need to know—where.”
When Nona didn’t answer, the corpse prince said—
“Okay. Different question. Do you love her?”

That said, I'm not sure she's entirely autonomous and I'm very suspicious of the friendship bracelets, which seem incredibly un-Gideon and smell of Ianthe awfulness to me...

I'm very glad Nona grew from Act I to a whole book -- it was great spending a bunch of time outside the Nine Houses, hanging out with Nona and her family and friends and dogs, and watching BOE's hyper-compartmentalized-to-the-point-of-nearly-being-self-defeating resistance cells, if only for the mayhem that created the worst day of school ever. Now settling in for the long wait until I get to see what utter madness is in store for us in AtN.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Quinton posted:

One thing to keep in mind about Gideon is that as of the end of HtN she feels rejected / abandoned by Harrow:

Since then she's had six months or so to hang out with Jod (wow she has family now) and Ianthe (a bad influence in the best of cases) and continue to stew while under their influence. She's definitely still got a bunch of classic (if angrier) Gideon attitude and banter tossing around 'Sex Pal' and offering 'U Lap' and 'Aulp' for 'Paul', which makes me believe she's not just a recreation or simulation. And she clearly still is very concerned with Harrow:

[/spoiler]
That said, I'm not sure she's entirely autonomous and I'm very suspicious of the friendship bracelets, which seem incredibly un-Gideon and smell of Ianthe awfulness to me...

Yeah, I can very much see all of this.

Quinton posted:

I'm very glad Nona grew from Act I to a whole book -- it was great spending a bunch of time outside the Nine Houses, hanging out with Nona and her family and friends and dogs, and watching BOE's hyper-compartmentalized-to-the-point-of-nearly-being-self-defeating resistance cells, if only for the mayhem that created the worst day of school ever. Now settling in for the long wait until I get to see what utter madness is in store for us in AtN.

I kind of wish they'd taken the kids or at least Hot Sauce with them.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Everyone posted:

I kind of wish they'd taken the kids or at least Hot Sauce with them.

I'm glad that Nona and Hot Sauce were able to part on good terms (so very Nona to both forgive Hot Sauce for shooting Nona in the head *and* feel bad about it), but I think the anti-Zombie indoctrination combined with the crew traveling back into a (different sort of) war zone, makes trying to pull the kids out out impractical.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Quinton posted:

The constant comments from characters on the state of their knees seems like it’s hinting that this isn’t the original Gideon’s body. Sex Pal fucks up Babs’ knee trying to kneel like he’s in Cam’s body, Kiriona has good knees… but then why does she still have the wound from getting Longinused by a fencepost?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

platero posted:

Something someone pointed out on reddit that I didn't pick up on, but seems obvious in retrospect, about a teacher at the school in Nona

Mostly a side note, but did you notice that Nona misheard the name of Aim's predecessor, it's not Emma Sen, its MSN, they're named for messenger clients.

god dammit tamsyn

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Entropic posted:

god dammit tamsyn

The BoE Messengers: Icy Queue, Ire Sea, Emma Sen, Aim, Slacker, and Discord.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Oh my god.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

loving HELL

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Entropic posted:

god dammit tamsyn

I caught the Disco Elysium joke but not that one. Pyrrha, Cam, and Nona get described as Bad Cop, Worse Cop, and Sorry Cop.

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

Cam and Sex Pal also held off merging until it was an act of desperation. I forget, did Pal figure out the final puzzle piece when possessing Babs/mentally dueling Ianthe? It didn't seem that way to me.

He knew the Eightfold Path was bullshit at the end of GtN and he's been hanging out in the River ever since with nothing to do but think and write lovely erotic fanfic. He knew Ianthe hosed it up at the end of GtN ("whatever you think you did, you didn't" to Ianthe) and knew he wasn't going to gently caress it up at the end of NtN ("whatever you think I'm doing, I'm not" to Pyrrha).

vvv Yeah. I’d say maybe you could regrow his body from the wizard bones with a Lyctor’s magic (given Gideon Prime got nuked and John regrew him from a detached arm, right?) but there’s no way to un-merge two souls that we know of.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 17, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

My guess is if it weren't for the fact that Pal's body had been obliterated they more or less achieved perfect Lyctorhood, or a version of it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Quinton posted:

One thing that occurs to me is that most of Gideon Nav's prior relationship were based in or started from a place of need - a need of her by them. If not need then usefulness. John doesn't need Gideon/Kiriona. He wants her. She was created as a weapon by his bitterest enemy in an attempt to destroy him. The "smart" move on his part would be to annihilate her for the threat she poses. But he doesn't. Instead he accepts her as his daughter and brings her fully into his life. Because he loves her. That's going to be some incredibly powerful stuff for Gideon given her background. Is it really any wonder that Gideon/Kiriona wants to be part of that?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

M_Gargantua posted:

Where do we hear the other ones?

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Kesper North posted:

Where do we hear the other ones?

we don’t, that poster was making a joke :shobon:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

shelley posted:

oh i see my mistake beep boop I AM HUMAN! IGNORE ME!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

shelley posted:

oh poo poo I didn't realize that was a joke either. what does it say about these books that that's entirely plausible, though?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm visiting the Wairarapa today and it's taking all my effort to not be an insufferable dork and make "Cows watch the sunset" jokes that nobody I'm with will get.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

cptn_dr posted:

I'm visiting the Wairarapa today and it's taking all my effort to not be an insufferable dork and make "Cows watch the sunset" jokes that nobody I'm with will get.

This is very insensitive; did you know that cows exhibit mourning behavior for other cows?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'd really love to visit New Zealand one day. Maybe by the time I go there will be a Locked Tomb tour to go along with the Lord of the Rings tour :v:

Someone on Tumblr compared Honesty to Cuno and I can't stop thinking about it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/emwrobin/status/1569677932263604231?s=46&t=18vPcJtmuE8WD5nN1BvvEQ

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Landfill posted:

Someone on Tumblr compared Honesty to Cuno and I can't stop thinking about it.

canon

also did i completely forget that pyrrha is in her necro's male body? the books are so fluid about gender and body that I think I forgot phyrra wasn't physically female anymore lol

i really need to read harrow again. i binged it in two days and a lot of the weirder stuff went over my head

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 18, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yes you did. Harrow benefits from a reread, a lot, there's so so much in there.

Audible gave me free credits so now I have Nona to listen to too. I'm rereading it first though, then probably give the whole series a relisten. Love Moira's narration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Robo Reagan posted:

canon

also did i completely forget that pyrrha is in her necro's male body? the books are so fluid about gender and body that I think I forgot phyrra wasn't physically female anymore lol

i really need to read harrow again. i binged it in two days and a lot of the weirder stuff went over my head

At a certain point in this series gender seems to be so irrelevant that I just assume that everybody's downloaded into whatever meat robot they prefer at the time. Like AIs without the A.