Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Everyone posted:

The people who could have invented them would have been gay and any gay people in Card's world get exterminated.

Oh heavens no. The gay person in that world is so bereft at being unable to reproduce and have a family that he starts an unethical genetic experiment using his own DNA and is eventually blackmailed into repeating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thranguy posted:

I'd say the central premise of a small evenly distributed geographicly population of genetically superintelligent humans who peak in their early teens is more important to the series as far as sf bs goes.

in my mind that's just card's lame excuse for why his story involves children. oh we were smart enough to win the first war and to unify our entire society in the name of total interstellar war, but we weren't smart enough to fight it. so we did rampant genetic experiments for reasons? and at the end of the day ender isn't actually much of a tactical genius.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Everyone posted:

The people who could have invented them would have been gay and any gay people in Card's world get exterminated.
the sequels prove this is false, the people who invent FTL travel are a single AI

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the sequels prove this is false, the people who invent FTL travel are a single AI

Who stays in a closet?

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Everyone posted:

Who stays in a closet?
I think she lived in a tree after they kicked her off space internet.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I dropped out of the Laundry Files around the superhero arc. Does Bob ever return as a protagonist or at least main character, or does he stay an Angleton/Auditor peripheral type?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Titus Groan (Gormenghast #1) by Mervyn Peake - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MW9PQ88/

A Man of His Word: The Complete Series by Dave Duncan - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0732J6PN5/

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

navyjack posted:

I dropped out of the Laundry Files around the superhero arc. Does Bob ever return as a protagonist or at least main character, or does he stay an Angleton/Auditor peripheral type?

The Delirium Brief has Bob as the main pov character.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Accidental delayed phone double post.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

General Battuta posted:

Jackie is my least favorite character in that nobody, including the narration, seems to have any empathy or respect for her.

Jackie gets a short POV chapter in The Martians, about raising Zo as a baby and toddler. It fleshes her out a little bit, but that just deepens the sense of sadness around her character.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

navyjack posted:

I also dropped that book because I thought it was kind of boring and dumb, and similarly thought the next book with the vampire protagonist fighting elves was pretty bad, but I'm reading Delirium Brief now so I'll let you know if it grabs me again!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Laundry was much better when it was occult spy flicks playing up the parallels between cosmic horror and the civil service.

I feel like it sort of became formula of taking an insufferable nerd thing (elves, vampires , loving superheroes ) and putting a lovecraftian apocalypse spin on it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have been reading 1635: A Parcel of Rogues. Since I did not grow up as a Christian I didn't know anything about the whole presbyterian vs. episcopal thing. Wacky stuff.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Almost through FreedomTM and this 2 part novel (Daemon/Freedom) is extremely good and I agree with the previous description of it as a manifesto. Things are super hosed up and it's all because of Capitalism and it makes you really mad at capitalism. Written in 2006 is kinda wild for the original book

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FPyat posted:

I'm starting Speaker for the Dead ten years after I finished Ender's Game. Young me spurned reading it because of the lack of epic space war. I'm still totally thrown for a loop by the subplot of Ender's siblings taking over the world and its political discourse by posting online.

Ender's Game is a story about being a very smart and special boy. A subplot about getting elected president of the world because you are the very smartest boy on the forums is a predictable next step

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

I have been reading 1635: A Parcel of Rogues. Since I did not grow up as a Christian I didn't know anything about the whole presbyterian vs. episcopal thing. Wacky stuff.

me reading the "monk politics" stuff in The Name of the Rose:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Almost through FreedomTM and this 2 part novel (Daemon/Freedom) is extremely good and I agree with the previous description of it as a manifesto. Things are super hosed up and it's all because of Capitalism and it makes you really mad at capitalism. Written in 2006 is kinda wild for the original book

It's been a while since I read it, but it's that the one where the guy gets robot eyes and whatnot cause he gets hosed up by some bad guy? I think he wore a black motorcycle helmet to hide em. I'm not sure I'm thinking of the plot points from this book or another end of the world book, or mishmashing them together.

gently caress I think I might need to reread em.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's been a while since I read it, but it's that the one where the guy gets robot eyes and whatnot cause he gets hosed up by some bad guy? I think he wore a black motorcycle helmet to hide em. I'm not sure I'm thinking of the plot points from this book or another end of the world book, or mishmashing them together.

gently caress I think I might need to reread em.

that might be absolutely true, i have about 20% left and the 'necessary but extremely evil' character got all his fingertips cut off and his eyes plucked out one by one in graphic detail, so having his eyes replaced seems like a likely outcome, but hasn't happened

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Reading The Land that Time Forgot by edgar rice burroughs, I get that it came out in 1918 but " Their features were distinctly negroid, though their skins were white. A considerable portion of both torso and limbs were covered with short hair, and their physical proportions were in many aspects apelike, though not so much so as were Ahm's. They carried themselves in a more erect position, although their arms were considerably longer than those of the Neanderthal man. As I watched them, I saw that they possessed a language, that they had knowledge of fire and that they carried besides the wooden club of Ahm, a thing which resembled a crude stone hatchet. Evidently they were very low in the scale of humanity,"

:whitewater:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

that might be absolutely true, i have about 20% left and the 'necessary but extremely evil' character got all his fingertips cut off and his eyes plucked out one by one in graphic detail, so having his eyes replaced seems like a likely outcome, but hasn't happened

Ah, poo poo dude, sorry if I spoiled something. I was 99% sure it was in daemon and I thought you were done with that one. Let me know though cause now that I'm wondering about it I kinda wanna read it again.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

Ender's Game is a story about being a very smart and special boy. A subplot about getting elected president of the world because you are the very smartest boy on the forums is a predictable next step

All the other kids, all the other kids just aren't as smart. Sad. But it's tremendous. We're gonna win so much.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

VostokProgram posted:

The 1632verse is pretty good overall. Really thoughtful and detailed. I eventually lost track of it and it got huge but at some point I'm going to rebuild it and read it via Kindle.

Flint also did Trail of Glory two book series that I was disappointed he didn't continue before he died. 1812: The Rivers of War and 1824: The Arkansas War are variously an attempt to fix/prevent the Trail of Tears, an alternate history of the American frontier and an alternate biography of Sam Houston. It's a "pure" alternate history (no science fiction/magic stuff) with a single oddly minor break-point that goes in some really interesting directions. It also makes you kind of go "God-dammit I wish this had been actual America history!"

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

Card is lucky he made his mark before modern social media, because he 110% would have posted himself to death.

I still think a lot about the forward he wrote whinging about a teacher that had the gall to tell him that, no, his superbabies weren't developmental possible, you can't teach a baby calculus and formal murder, they do not learn that fast. He got super incensed about how DARE she doubt the potential of Great Babies, how could an educator lack such basic faith in the ability of children to learn how to murder and oppress each other faster.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but have we considered that one of the current sc2 top dogs was like 12 or some poo poo when he started going to tournaments. maybe he's right and we're all fools for doubting his genius

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larry Parrish posted:

but have we considered that one of the current sc2 top dogs was like 12 or some poo poo when he started going to tournaments. maybe he's right and we're all fools for doubting his genius

Apparently the average age of Khmer Rogue was 17. So, yeah, kids are totally capable of learning torture/murder/etc. young. Hell, there's a reason that child soldiers are a thing.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Blade Itself (First Law #1) by Joe Abercrombie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TOT9LDK/

Foundation (#1) by Isaac Asimov - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC1PWA/

The Divine Invasion (VALIS #2) by Philip K Dick - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LVQZS4/

The Last Wish (Witcher) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010SIPT4/

The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge #1) by Ken Follett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TO5GXU/

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Haystack posted:

Card is lucky he made his mark before modern social media, because he 110% would have posted himself to death.

I still think a lot about the forward he wrote whinging about a teacher that had the gall to tell him that, no, his superbabies weren't developmental possible, you can't teach a baby calculus and formal murder, they do not learn that fast. He got super incensed about how DARE she doubt the potential of Great Babies, how could an educator lack such basic faith in the ability of children to learn how to murder and oppress each other faster.

Whatever you do, do not look into Dan Simmons' online presence for the past 20 years, especially if you love his work.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

FPyat posted:

Whatever you do, do not look into Dan Simmons' online presence for the past 20 years, especially if you love his work.
I haven't read any of his social media but it seems unlikely it's worse then ilium / olympos

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

RDM posted:

I haven't read any of his social media but it seems unlikely it's worse then ilium / olympos

Narrator: "It was so much worse."

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Easier to make a list of authors who are good posters and ignore the rest. Here is the list:

* Ursula k le guin
* general battuttutta

Enjoy appearing in the same list with the greatest sci fi author, it won’t happen again

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

- Neil Gaiman

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Pratchett was a good poster.

Watts is a good blogger, at least.

Graydon Saunders is posters.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Is there a website that is good for recommendations or a list of recommendations somewhere? I want to start reading some SFF that is preferably good and not schlock. Most lists you get from googling seem to be filled with some very boring stuff.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

leekster posted:

Is there a website that is good for recommendations or a list of recommendations somewhere? I want to start reading some SFF that is preferably good and not schlock. Most lists you get from googling seem to be filled with some very boring stuff.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3900237&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

leekster posted:

You can ask us too! What kind of sci-fi do you want to get into? Have you read anything by:

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Easier to make a list of authors who are good posters and ignore the rest. Here is the list:

* Ursula k le guin
* general battuttutta

Enjoy appearing in the same list with the greatest sci fi author, it won’t happen again

Or CJ Cherryh?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

* Ursula k le guin
* general battuttutta

Robert Jackson Bennett was pretty funny on Twitter when I had a Twitter.

Kelly Link also a surprisingly great poster

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

NK Jemisin and Nnedi Okorafor seem to handle Twitter pretty well, particularly given how much harassment they must get.

Also lol if you could read Ilium and not realize that Dan Simmons had gone completely off the deep end.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
However the majority of SFF posts so badly that I would describe them as morally incompetent (morally inept if you must). Not evil, not malicious, just consistently unable to make the right decisions even when presented with moral choices as clear as “should we make angry demands of a guy fresh out of heart surgery, knowing that stress plays a significant role in post surgery mortality”. It’s not like they all say “lol we should kill this guy” but that their brain worms are so powerful that they cannot clearly think about the choices they’re making and prioritize the right thing.

The “behavior of goons” classic post with the Parisian catacombs but for SFF Twitter

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

An author mentioned upthread does not so much punch down as drop a two-footed stomp and bounce off their heads, like Mario

e: obviously I mean Grayson Saunders

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

General Battuta posted:

However the majority of SFF posts so badly that I would describe them as morally incompetent (morally inept if you must). Not evil, not malicious, just consistently unable to make the right decisions even when presented with moral choices as clear as “should we make angry demands of a guy fresh out of heart surgery, knowing that stress plays a significant role in post surgery mortality”. It’s not like they all say “lol we should kill this guy” but that their brain worms are so powerful that they cannot clearly think about the choices they’re making and prioritize the right thing.

The “behavior of goons” classic post with the Parisian catacombs but for SFF Twitter

STEM is a helluva drug