Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sorry, you would actually have to feed a real dog. Why would you do that when you can pay a VFX studio pennies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Because dogs are awesome??

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The GoT dogs are (were?) tourist attractions.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

GoT also directly led to a ton of huskies winding up at rescues because people weren't prepared for just how full on they are :/

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

tsob posted:

I went back and re-read the prologue a few hours ago to see if there's any indication of time, because I thought there might be sentences noting whether blood was fresh or congealed etc, but I can't spot anything that implies how long ago Lews Therin had killed his family beyond noting that "the palace still shook occasionally as the earth rumbled in memory" as the opening line. Which, apropos of nothing, is a really good opening line. It's only really a vague implication at best, but the usage of the word "memory" there implies it's been at least a little while to me. It could absolutely just be poetic license to make for a nicer sounding line though, so I'm happy to admit it means nothing.

quote:

The palace still shook occasionally as the earth rumbled in memory, groaned as if it would deny what had happened. Bars of sunlight cast through rents in the walls made motes of dust glitter where they yet hung in the air. Scorch-marks marred the walls, the floors, the ceilings. Broad black smears crossed the blistered paints and gilt of once-bright murals, soot overlaying crumbling friezes of men and animals which seemed to have attempted to walk before the madness grew quiet. The dead lay everywhere, men and women and children, struck down in attempted flight by the lightnings that had flashed down every corridor, or seized by the fires that had stalked them, or sunken into stone of the palace, the stones that had flowed and sought, almost alive, before stillness came again. In odd counterpoint, colorful tapestries and paintings, masterworks all, hung undisturbed except where bulging walls had pushed them awry. Finely carved furnishings, inlaid with ivory and gold, stood untouched except where rippling floors had toppled them. The mind-twisting had struck at the core, ignoring peripheral things.

I tend to think that it was fairly recent, mostly because of the bolded part, but also because the verbs used for all of the destruction are very...active? I don't have a strict literary definition here except that things did <stuff> until stillness came, and all of the evidence of the destruction in still there. Plus Ishamael saying "oh you're mad already?" implies it hasn't been that long since the counterstroke either.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
There's also the fact that the corpses (particularly Ilyena's, which I believe Lews actually picks up at one point) didn't have rigor mortis yet which implies it hasn't been that long, less than 6-8 hours anyway.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The extremely dorky and not canon answer from the rpg book's version of balefire says that Rand using one of his higher spell slots, plus overchanneling, plus his angrael gets 2 hours to 1 day of backburn on Rahvin. LTT overchanneling himself to death (plus an angrael of some sort, I'd assume) would have backburned himself days with enough balefire to spawn a mountain.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You’d think if LTT balefired himself at a super high level it would have undone his actions

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Data Graham posted:

You’d think if LTT balefired himself at a super high level it would have undone his actions

Wouldn't that include balefiring himself :captainpop:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I assume the pattern having to brute force handwave the paradoxes away is what makes balefire so destabilizing to it.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Wouldn't that include balefiring himself :captainpop:

“Ilyena!!”

Fmmmpphhh (balefiring himself)

Reappears

“Ilyena!!”

Fmmmpphhh

Reappears

“Ilyena!!”

Ishamael watches from a distance in Picard pose

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

I still think Lews Therin's death reads as balefire too:

quote:

The air turned to fire, the fire to light liquefied. The bolt that struck from the heavens would have seared and blinded any eye that glimpsed it, even for an instant. From the heavens it came, blazed through Lews Therin Telamon, bored into the bowels of the earth. Stone turned to vapor at its touch. The earth thrashed and quivered like a living thing in agony. Only a heartbeat did the shining bar exist, connecting ground and sky, but even after it vanished the earth yet heaved like the sea in a storm.
Imagine if the beginning of the show had been this awesomeness realised on screen, instead of the crap voiceover prologue + Liandrin killing a male channeler which we got. Bleh.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

El Grillo posted:

Imagine if the beginning of the show had been this awesomeness realised on screen, instead of the crap voiceover prologue + Liandrin killing a male channeler which we got. Bleh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZOCCEuROPk

I kid.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I feel like Rafe said we were going to get that scene in a later season though

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Still a masterpiece.

ILYENAAAAAA

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I feel like Rafe said we were going to get that scene in a later season though
It would be crazy if they didn't have it somewhere but then again, a lot of their decision seem crazy to me lel

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

For reals this ishamael owns

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

El Grillo posted:

Still a masterpiece.

ILYENAAAAAA

It would be crazy if they didn't have it somewhere but then again, a lot of their decision seem crazy to me lel

Its pretty clear they're going to extend the LTT back story and show us more of his life so the inevitable madness and destruction of everything and everyone has more emotional heft. I'm sure we will see the attack on Shayol Ghul at some point too. Making LTT more of a character before he's just a voice in Rand's head seems like a good idea for a different medium, imo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

OK but I want more of ishowmael, I loved his take on the character

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

th3t00t posted:

They could have included a bunch of character and world building stuff, while keeping in some of the action/horror that they cut out like the prologue, the fade stalking all the boys of a similar age to our heroes, Rand and Tam's desperate escape and journey to town. They didn't just cut snooze worthy stuff, they cut a bunch of action, horror and drama.

Yeah honestly don't think the creators are good at their job. Why did they give to a team responsible for Agents of Shield?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I keep wondering if I watched the same show. I've seen it I think three times now and really liked it, even the weaker episodes :shrug:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Its pretty clear they're going to extend the LTT back story and show us more of his life so the inevitable madness and destruction of everything and everyone has more emotional heft. I'm sure we will see the attack on Shayol Ghul at some point too. Making LTT more of a character before he's just a voice in Rand's head seems like a good idea for a different medium, imo.

It's gonna suck. One of the very well done things in the book is mystify every day AoL items.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

El Grillo posted:

The reason they didn't do that is most likely the same reason they didn't show Myrddraal stalking Rand and cut out a lot of his trek through the woods with Tam as someone else complained about earlier. Which is that Rand isn't the main character of the first season; Moiraine is. So the first season is mostly told from and seen through her perspective; certainly a lot more so than the book it's based on. Which is understandable, seeing as how Rosamund Pike is both the biggest name in the cast by a wide margin, and a producer on the show. They're using her name to draw in audiences, and because they have such a big star who is the only really famous person on the cast list and has a lot more experience than most of the central cast, they're trying to push her to the forefront of the story.

It's understandable, and I don't even hate a lot of the changes they made or anything, but I do think the books version of events and what it chooses to focus on is more interesting and entertaining by and large. The show chose to focus on Edmond's Field during the Trolloc attack for instance, showing how terrified everyone was, how they survived it, and used it to give Moiraine and Lan a chance to show off some action relatively early in the show, during the first episode; where they wouldn't really get to do anything fancy until...is it just before Shadar Logoth in the books before they do anything of note in terms of fighting?

Regardless, it's not something I ever really thought was missing from the book's account of that night. I loved journeying with Rand through that attack, sticking with one character through an entire horrifying event as he tries just to survive it, dragging his dying father through the countryside all night, and then barely able to function the next morning when he finally makes it to the village. Only to be told, "Nope, sorry; he's too far gone. I can't waste time with him". It really emphasizes his desperation to save Tam, because we follow him trying to do so through the night.

It's an understandable move on Amazon's part; they want to try and leverage star power to draw an audience to this relatively unknown property they're trying to make one of their big shows. I don't know that it's a good idea though, because Game of Thrones, the bandwagon they're chasing with Wheel of Time mostly used unknown actors too, and what big names it did have, it didn't try and push them to the forefront; instead adapting the books pretty faithfully, and being willing to kill or sideline stars if and when the story calls for it. And it became the center of culture for a lot of people for several years despite that, because big names aren't really why people care about these shows.

I don't mind it so much in this instance, since I enjoyed the first season regardless for the most part (final episode being a boring slog perhaps for lockdown reasons aside) but I will admit it does make me nervous about maybe season 3 or 4, when Moiraine is due to "die". If the producers feel the show isn't drawing a big enough audience, or the cast isn't reliable enough to keep that audience without Pike, then I can see a version of events where they try to keep Moiraine around after she's supposed to "die" in Cairhein. Which I think is a far bigger issue, because I don't think the show can keep her around in any significant capacity without major alterations to basically everything past that point.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 20, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

tsob posted:

The reason they didn't do that is most likely the same reason they didn't show Myrddraal stalking Rand and cut out a lot of his trek through the woods with Tam as someone else complained about earlier. Which is that Rand isn't the main character of the first season; Moiraine is. So the first season is mostly told from and seen through her perspective; certainly a lot more so than the book it's based on. Which is understandable, seeing as how Rosamund Pike is both the biggest name in the cast by a wide margin, and a producer on the show. They're using her name to draw in audiences, and because they have such a big star who is the only really famous person on the cast list and has a lot more experience than most of the central cast, they're trying to push her to the forefront of the story.

It's understandable, and I don't even hate a lot of the changes they made or anything, but I do think the books version of events and what it chooses to focus on is more interesting and entertaining by and large. The show chose to focus on Edmond's Field during the Trolloc attack for instance, showing how terrified everyone was, how they survived it, and used it to give Moiraine and Lan a chance to show off some action relatively early in the show, during the first episode; where they wouldn't really get to do anything fancy until...is it just before Shadar Logoth in the books before they do anything of note in terms of fighting?

Regardless, it's not something I ever really thought was missing from the book's account of that night. I loved journeying with Rand through that attack, sticking with one character through an entire horrifying event as he tries just to survive it, dragging his dying father through the countryside all night, and then barely able to function the next morning when he finally makes it to the village. Only to be told, "Nope, sorry; he's too far gone. I can't waste time with him". It really emphasizes his desperation to save Tam, because we follow him trying to do so through the night.

It's an understandable move on Amazon's part; they want to try and leverage star power to draw an audience to this relatively unknown property they're trying to make one of their big shows. I don't know that it's a good idea though, because Game of Thrones, the bandwagon they're chasing with Wheel of Time mostly used unknown actors too, and what big names it did have, it didn't try and push them to the forefront; instead adapting the books pretty faithfully, and being willing to kill or sideline stars if and when the story calls for it. And it became the center of culture for a lot of people for several years despite that, because big names aren't really why people care about these shows.

I don't mind it so much in this instance, since I enjoyed the first season regardless for the most part (final episode being a boring slog perhaps for lockdown reasons aside) but I will admit it does make me nervous about maybe season 3 or 4, when Moiraine is due to "die". If the producers feel the show isn't drawing a big enough audience, or the cast isn't reliable enough to keep that audience without Pike, then I can see a version of events where they try to keep Moiraine around after she's supposed to "die" in Cairhein. Which I think is a far bigger issue, because I don't think the show can keep her around in any significant capacity without major alterations to basically everything past that point.

I agree with this. I like the book version better, but completely understand why they changed where the focus was, and didn't dislike those changes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's gonna suck. One of the very well done things in the book is mystify every day AoL items.

:ok:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I've never actually seen this before, so I'm just taking a few minutes to watch through it now but I had to stop after the prologue because it reminded me of a complaint I have with the series. Which is that, as much as some Aes Sedai names are very similar and kind of confusing due to it, they're usually not that central to the cast so it doesn't really matter, but Jordan having multiple similar names for the normal channeling and Dark One derived channeling is something that really annoyed me in the later books. The One Power, the True Power and the True Source. I have to look them up basically every time I want to talk about them, because they don't even make sense. The One Power is derived from the True Power, but the One Power has two distinct elements; while the True Source is the Dark One, and only has one element either sex can use.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Has there been a petition to bring in Billy Zane? Because he is a treasure.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

We want DeZanedred

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Real Ultimate Power

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

tsob posted:

I've never actually seen this before, so I'm just taking a few minutes to watch through it now but I had to stop after the prologue because it reminded me of a complaint I have with the series. Which is that, as much as some Aes Sedai names are very similar and kind of confusing due to it, they're usually not that central to the cast so it doesn't really matter, but Jordan having multiple similar names for the normal channeling and Dark One derived channeling is something that really annoyed me in the later books. The One Power, the True Power and the True Source. I have to look them up basically every time I want to talk about them, because they don't even make sense. The One Power is derived from the True Power, but the One Power has two distinct elements; while the True Source is the Dark One, and only has one element either sex can use.

Are you saying that naming standards done by people making decisions are typically very good?

Because, hoo wow.

Feels very realistic to me. :v:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

silvergoose posted:

Are you saying that naming standards done by people making decisions are typically very good?

No? I'm saying that this one in particular felt egregious, regardless of what anyone else who makes up names does.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

tsob posted:

I may be remembering incorrectly but I think it's that the One Power comes from the True Source, while the True Power comes from the Dark One, who could be described as the One Source. It's simple.

While I'm at it, it doesn't matter if you use Saidin or Saidar, too much True Power and you'll end up with Saa.

Gambor fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 20, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

tsob posted:

No? I'm saying that this one in particular felt egregious, regardless of what anyone else who makes up names does.

I just think that Lanfear naming some new power the True Power, which is totally better than the One Power, is completely in character.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

silvergoose posted:

I just think that Lanfear naming some new power the True Power, which is totally better than the One Power, is completely in character.

Oh yeah, I can definitely see Lanfear doing that. Along with most of the Forsaken, honestly; it's just the inclusion of the "True Source" as well as the "True Power" and the "One Power" that makes things confusing. Especially when the One Power is defined by it's two strands. It'd at least be more distinctive if it was just the One Power and the True Power, with no True Source. Which isn't really functionally a different thing anyway.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

silvergoose posted:

I hope they keep in Lanfear removing her disguise to reveal she is slightly older and hotter than Selene.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gambor posted:

I may be remembering incorrectly but I think it's that the One Power comes from the True Source, while the True Power comes from the Dark One, who could be described as the One Source. It's simple.

While I'm at it, it doesn't matter if you use Saidin or Saidar, too much True Power and you'll end up with Saa.

Reading this post in the same voice as the "dicks, pussies, and assholes" speech from Team America

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

For a low budget infomercial level production, this is actually good, imo. The worst part is when they try to use special effects, and it could use some editing to tighten it up a bit.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

jetz0r posted:

For a low budget infomercial level production, this is actually good, imo. The worst part is when they try to use special effects, and it could use some editing to tighten it up a bit.

I got you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lyWn9soBU8

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

We want DeZanedred

Him doing the whole sword duels at the Last Battle would be incredible. That, and I think he'd do great as Asmodean.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

poo poo, I'd take this any day if I got to choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

His Divine Shadow posted:

poo poo, I'd take this any day if I got to choose.

I don't think I would, because I don't like how they portrayed Lews Therin. Not because he wanders around his palace for an unreasonably long amount of time shouting for "Iliyana" or anything, but because the end doesn't really seem to get the character. Once Ishamael makes Lews Therin confront the fact he killed Ilyena in the book, Lews Therin basically loses his mind in grief that he was the one that did that heinous thing, regardless of the circumstances and he flees blindly before killing himself while condemning his actions because he can't condone them for one second longer. In that pilot, Lews Therin cries for a few seconds, then calmly rationalizes "no, I would never hurt my family and it was obviously the Dark One's taint that caused it".

The means of Lews Therin's death in the pilot is implied in order to not show suicide presumably, but isn't him burning himself out in some grandiose way in order to save on budget and not have to try and visualize gateways or magic bars of light in SFX; that's fine. What isn't fine is that he basically puts aside his grief in order to hold a calm, rationalized discussion with Ishamael for several minutes over his future, not showing even the tiniest hint of hesitation over Ilyena's fate or the Dark One's offer despite his grief. Which makes Lews Therin come off far differently to me.

Whatever changes the Amazon Prime show made over the course of the first season, none of them feel as badly placed to me as that pilot made in 20 minutes. It's certainly well done given it's budget, and I actually like the performances and some of the directing choices; but I can't get behind it's depiction of Lews Therin. I cannot imagine that version of Lews Therin as a voice in Rand's head (or externalized in some way for visual effect) that is constantly descending in to mad screams about how he killed Ilyena for instance. He seems like he'd be much calmer and more helpful from the start. Which would be nice for Rand, but would also change the story quite a bit since Rand would have someone giving him good advice on various things from almost the start.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 21, 2022