Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

but asking someone to watch an entire season to give a show a chance is a bit too much.

Tell me you're not a Trekkie without telling me you're not a Trekkie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Fragrances have no place in soap. All they do is make me worry that I didn't do a good enough job washing my hands. If the lavender is still on my skin, then what else got left behind?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

SGU was the most recent spinoff show after SG-1 and Atlantis where they tried to modernize it and it sucked really bad.

This opinion is entirely invalidated by the presence of Robert Carlyle, who single-handedly carried the show on his tiny frail back

He's also largely responsible for Once Upon a Time being on the air for eight years

That man is a treasure and I will not hear his work besmirtched

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Powered Descent posted:

Tell me you're not a Trekkie without telling me you're not a Trekkie.

I'll tell you that outright. The only star trek I enjoyed was the remake movies (except the khan one) and some of DS9.

e: ok i kind of liked the nemesis movie with picard too

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Sep 18, 2022

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Shibawanko posted:

rugby is a banal, uncivilized sport

Rugby is awesome, but only at the international level.

Also compared to what, polo? Every sport is complete bullshit except for the one you like.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

anyone who uses the word "uncivilized" has also said "not to be racist, but" in the last month

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
gardening is a fantastic and rewarding hobby

Analytic Engine has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Sep 19, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It should be illegal to put a battery in a disposable consumer item

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Like, only sell them without power and you gotta do it yourself?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Aramek posted:

Like, only sell them without power and you gotta do it yourself?

Either they have removable and reusable batteries, or you just don't make a disposable version of that item.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I get what you're saying but there is a lot of micro circuit tiny power devices these days. Like penlights and pregnancy tests and thermometers.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The only place batteries should be going is the crick

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Either they have removable and reusable batteries, or you just don't make a disposable version of that item.

There are non disposable consumer goods?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Aramek posted:

I get what you're saying but there is a lot of micro circuit tiny power devices these days. Like penlights and pregnancy tests and thermometers.

There’s no reason for penlights or thermometers to be disposable

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gripweed posted:

There’s no reason for penlights or thermometers to be disposable

maybe you could provide one or two concrete examples of what you're talking about since nobody else seems to have any idea

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Muscle Tracer posted:

maybe you could provide one or two concrete examples of what you're talking about since nobody else seems to have any idea

Vapes

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Aren't there disposable pregnancy tests with entire embedded systems in them?

Disposable cameras, which are still around and some of them are digital

Greeting cards

A million different business promo items

Pens

edit: also cheap plastic children's toys which, while not explicitly disposable, are definitely only intended to be played with once

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

Aren't there disposable pregnancy tests with entire embedded systems in them?

Disposable cameras, which are still around and some of them are digital

Greeting cards

A million different business promo items

Pens

edit: also cheap plastic children's toys which, while not explicitly disposable, are definitely only intended to be played with once

Maybe an exception could be made for pregnancy tests and other items where using it requires you to pee on it, but other than that yeah. All that stuff, banned.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I still don't understand fancy pregnancy tests

There's not even really a reason for the handle to be plastic - the only working part of it is a chemically treated paper strip like a millimeter thick

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

There's not even really a reason for the handle to be plastic - the only working part of it is a chemically treated paper strip like a millimeter thick

Oh yeah, I forgot that the electric parts of pregnancy tests just read the color off the strip. Nope, those are gone too.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

I assume its so you have something to hold while you pee on it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I mean diabetic test strips, uti test strips, and I assume all others don't have any handle and people manage to have the basic human function to use them without pissing all over their hands

I think maybe it's because the actual pregnancy test strips cost like a tenth of a penny to manufacture so bulking them up with a bunch of forever plastics makes people feel better about dropping twenty bucks on one

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

I mean diabetic test strips, uti test strips, and I assume all others don't have any handle and people manage to have the basic human function to use them without pissing all over their hands

I think maybe it's because the actual pregnancy test strips cost like a tenth of a penny to manufacture so bulking them up with a bunch of forever plastics makes people feel better about dropping twenty bucks on one

do you think people piss on diabetic blood test strips?

edit: Like you're not wrong its to charge more, but it does make some amount of sense

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The other test strips used to monitor for ketoacidosis, not the blood ones

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Cashless stores are anti-poor people and anti-homeless and I think they should be taxed more to discourage them

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

thetoughestbean posted:

Cashless stores are anti-poor people and anti-homeless and I think they should be taxed more to discourage them

In a sense they do, just to the credit card companies instead of the taxpayer.

Which is a pretty big difference tbf

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

I'd go a step further and say there should always be a federal bank with a free no fee account available to anyone at all so long as they can show either residency or ID. Privately owned banks can still exist and offer lower rates/more options/better incentives/etc, but every country should be made to have at least one bank that everyone in that country can use for free.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No banks all money lending should be private

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

If you're in the US it already mostly is. Only lending I can think of directly through the government which isn't immediately sold or held through a bank are maybe SBA loans? I'm not too sure how the whole mortgage stuff works despite having one of my own so maybe I'm very much wrong.

Any finance goons know since now I'm curious?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

I like just being charged fees for missing payments instead of having my knees broken.

but in all seriousness I wish more things were cash based. It helps me restrain my spending because I know how much money is in my wallet but with cards it's just like "I probably have that much money, let's see".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No personal no company no regulation

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I wish fewer things were cash based because I hate the poor and I love street tacos and I love the little beep when I tap my card to things

Really bring on the number of the beast back of the hand barcodes already

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I like just being charged fees for missing payments instead of having my knees broken.

but in all seriousness I wish more things were cash based. It helps me restrain my spending because I know how much money is in my wallet but with cards it's just like "I probably have that much money, let's see".

Consider that most of societal ills in this century are caused by the breakdown of the familial and community unit. The free exchange of wealth has a lot to do with this, now if we make it so instead of getting a loan through the bank you instead need to go to a patron who can loan you the cash you need, in exchange for helping him do labor, repaying him monetarily, lending him muscle if he needs to break heads, or becoming a patient for experimental procedures. You've then replaced a pure monetary transaction with a social one that deepens the community of people. Now that you've borrowed money from that patron you can consider yourself a sort of kin with the other borrowers and put yourself in contrast with the borrowers and patrons from other places. In effect banning private money lending would quickly revert the increasing social decay of capitalism with healthy and vibrant feudalism, and if we can turn the clock back a little bit past that we can get Rome back, the true goal of any society.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

Consider that most of societal ills in this century are caused by the breakdown of the familial and community unit. The free exchange of wealth has a lot to do with this, now if we make it so instead of getting a loan through the bank you instead need to go to a patron who can loan you the cash you need, in exchange for helping him do labor, repaying him monetarily, lending him muscle if he needs to break heads, or becoming a patient for experimental procedures. You've then replaced a pure monetary transaction with a social one that deepens the community of people. Now that you've borrowed money from that patron you can consider yourself a sort of kin with the other borrowers and put yourself in contrast with the borrowers and patrons from other places. In effect banning private money lending would quickly revert the increasing social decay of capitalism with healthy and vibrant feudalism, and if we can turn the clock back a little bit past that we can get Rome back, the true goal of any society.

…I don’t know if this is a joke or not. I’m leaning towards joke, but your username is Gaius Marius

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

…I don’t know if this is a joke or not. I’m leaning towards joke, but your username is Gaius Marius

I didn't know how to process his reply to my comment beyond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6K7VBb8ENw&t=18s

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

We should be actively working toward global eradication of the mosquito. gently caress the food web; there are plenty of little gnat-like things for the birds or fish or whatever to eat. And as human-caused ecological disruptions go, this one would barely even register. Keep a few breeding populations in (highly secure) labs if you must, but drive them to extinction in the wild. Let's rid ourselves of both malaria and those drat itchy red bumps.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'm full in favor of going to any extreme for the mosquito final solution. I'll never forget the time I toured a mangrove swamp in the summer. It didn't matter how mcuh spray you put on, those bastards would get you through your shirt, up into your pants...worst bug.

You could say maybe don't go into a mangrove swamp, but they look cool and they don't belong to the worst bug.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Look, we're coming up on the dark cyberpunk future. You wanna live in the lame one where it's just Facebook stealing all your data and spying on you to sell you poo poo you don't need, or the cool one where you get a katana and call yourself a street samurai and die in the service of CEOemperor Marcus Flavuis Musk Jr. Personally I'll do whatever gets me a katana

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’ll take the one where I’m not cut down in the street by a weeb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think you can kill mosquitoes fast enough with insecticide without also murdering billions of life items that we need to not be dead.