Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Kaioken basically kills you if you overuse it. Goku csn get what he does out of it because he is a Saiyan and almost dying makes him stronger. Goku is just the right mix of crazy punch Man to make it work.

Now instant transmission? Yeah that poo poo should be *abused*

It’s kinda silly that Vegeta iirc had a way way higher aptitude for spirit based moves like Instant Transmission than Goku did but it won’t use it because it’s “Goku’s thing”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Shindragon posted:

Vegeta was goddamn sturdy in Sayian Saga. Took a Kaioken X 4 Kamehameha, a Spirit Bomb and still LIVED.

That's the effect of the Saiyan armor.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I like Super Saiyan 3 but my hot take is that regular Super Saiyan is kinda... meh? Like I remember my original reaction being fairly hype but also 'so his big transformation is that Goku turns into blonde Vegeta?'

Like consider how radical all the prior transformations we'd seen were. While Frieza's second form is kind of a roid rage version of his first, all his other forms are basically completely new, if similar in some elements, character designs. Zarbon goes from bishie to beast. Saiyans turn into King Kong. Like every transformation in the series to that point was pretty drat dramatic in terms of how different it looked, and now this, the culmination of a literal ancient legend, is just a change in hair style and color.

I remember when I first saw Super Saiyan, the hair reminded me of Vegeta as well and it just made sense to me? With the backstory of Saiyan hair never changing (unless it falls out, RIP Nappa's hair) and the royal family being the strongest it just made sense that the super Saiyan hair would look like Vegeta's hair. :shrug:

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I always liked how Kaioken looked in the Dragonball Z Movies. Where Goku would zoom into the frame and land a hit then zoom off one direction only to suddenly come back from a completely different direction for another attack.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ElBrak posted:

I always liked how Kaioken looked in the Dragonball Z Movies. Where Goku would zoom into the frame and land a hit then zoom off one direction only to suddenly come back from a completely different direction for another attack.

That's from the Saiyan Saga : P

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Last Celebration posted:

It’s kinda silly that Vegeta iirc had a way way higher aptitude for spirit based moves like Instant Transmission than Goku did but it won’t use it because it’s “Goku’s thing”.

Oh yeah he did train with those guys

Lmao he only used that stuff once and never again

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think Spirir Fission is just a situational move but it’s still hella goofy cause Goku would have absolutely no problem stealing Instant Transmission it it was Vegeta’s signature thing because he has no pride or shame, just a love of punchmanning.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The hells a spirit fission?

E: Oh its from the Super manga. It sounds dumb

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 19, 2022

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Super manga is full of inventions that have the potential to be neat but accomplish absolutely nothing or are immediately obsoleted by some other horseshit.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Super manga is full of inventions that have the potential to be neat but accomplish absolutely nothing or are immediately obsoleted by some other horseshit.

The idea works specifically for Moro, but then the general concept of punching somebody making them weaker is also kind of the whole regular fighting thing. Did we even see spirit fission in the latest arc? If the idea is that it works even if there's a big power level difference then yeah, it kicks rear end, but it's Dragon Ball. Just like the hypothetical solar flare and destructo disk combo, if it's too good it will probably just be ignored.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

Kaioken basically kills you if you overuse it. Goku csn get what he does out of it because he is a Saiyan and almost dying makes him stronger. Goku is just the right mix of crazy punch Man to make it work.

Now instant transmission? Yeah that poo poo should be *abused*

Kaio-ken is safe when properly mastered, as Goku showed in Namek, though the difficulty of mastering and the danger of failure increases alongside its multiplier, with Goku being able to use X10 with no issues but x20 meant he couldn't go in and out of it. There's no real reason why the rest of the cast wouldn't learn the Kaio-ken, it wouldn't be risky to them even if it's at a lower multiplier, and several of them trained under Kaio and could've learned it there.

Instant Transmission meanwhile requires extremely specific training as it depends on spirit control, which only the people who made the move, the Yardrats, seem to have mastered. I can see Goku being unable to teach that properly, so only himself (and Vegeta as of the Moro arc, and not well at that) could use it.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i think the only good payoff for spirit fission is if they did something like the yamcha isekai manga & used spirit fission to instantly beat cell and buu and probably goku black. early spirit fission sequence break in the dragon ball tool assisted speedrun

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Skeleton Mom posted:

the yamcha isekai manga

There's a Yamcha isekai manga? Does someone become Yamcha or does Yamcha become someone?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Skeleton Mom posted:

i think the only good payoff for spirit fission is if they did something like the yamcha isekai manga & used spirit fission to instantly beat cell and buu and probably goku black. early spirit fission sequence break in the dragon ball tool assisted speedrun

instant timeline-break recipe: character X wishes to have Frieza's potential, then actually trains hard

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

projecthalaxy posted:

There's a Yamcha isekai manga? Does someone become Yamcha or does Yamcha become someone?

Someone becomes Yamcha

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/dragon-ball-that-time--got-reincarnated-as-yamcha?locale=en

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Thanks. I was, I'll admit, not expecting that to be official lol.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kaio-ken is safe when properly mastered, as Goku showed in Namek, though the difficulty of mastering and the danger of failure increases alongside its multiplier, with Goku being able to use X10 with no issues but x20 meant he couldn't go in and out of it. There's no real reason why the rest of the cast wouldn't learn the Kaio-ken, it wouldn't be risky to them even if it's at a lower multiplier, and several of them trained under Kaio and could've learned it there.

Instant Transmission meanwhile requires extremely specific training as it depends on spirit control, which only the people who made the move, the Yardrats, seem to have mastered. I can see Goku being unable to teach that properly, so only himself (and Vegeta as of the Moro arc, and not well at that) could use it.

Kaioken is safe only if you have constant perfect control over your ki, which is why he couldn't use it in Super Saiyan. Goku is absurdly good at ki control which is why he can pick up techniques so quickly and easily.

Even then Goku almost gave himself boneitus.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Kaioken is safe only if you have constant perfect control over your ki, which is why he couldn't use it in Super Saiyan. Goku is absurdly good at ki control which is why he can pick up techniques so quickly and easily.

Even then Goku almost gave himself boneitus.

He did have an entire arc perfecting Super Saiyan until they forgot about it later. But either way it is pretty stupid the rest of the cast doesn't learn Kaioken or IT considering how much most of them train and worry about protecting the planet. Even low powered warriors can do a lot with teleportation as seen with drat near any super hero for whom it's their only power. Heck, this spirit fission thing should also become compulsory at this point.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you dont understand then toriyama would have to write fights for more characters.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I always thought Kaioken would be a cool power up for piccolo to get considering he's got Namekian regeneration which might offset the drawbacks. He was also the most talented of the B team that visited king kai and had the best chance of learning it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There's an easier solution to the problem of the other Z warriors never learning the Kaioken--forget any of them were even characters like Toryina did with launch. They're all fuckin useless anyway, just make them all go their separate ways and keep Krillin, Piccolo (nu-Krillin), and Vegeta (nu-Piccolo).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah it's kind of funny that Abridged is the only Dragon Ball related work that bothered putting any explanation about why no one else learned any of King Kai's techniques by having him be a petty prick about it

Stairmaster posted:

you dont understand then toriyama would have to write fights for more characters.

Well yeah that's the Doylist reason, but we lack a good Watsonian reason which is what makes it annoying when you realize it

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Star Man posted:

There's an easier solution to the problem of the other Z warriors never learning the Kaioken--forget any of them were even characters like Toryina did with launch. They're all fuckin useless anyway, just make them all go their separate ways and keep Krillin, Piccolo (nu-Krillin), and Vegeta (nu-Piccolo).

You’re gonna have egg on your face after the next movie when Yamchillin (fusion of Yamcha + Krillin) uses Kaioken x 10e6 to take down Black Frieza

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

istewart posted:

You’re gonna have egg on your face after the next movie when Yamchillin (fusion of Yamcha + Krillin) uses Kaioken x 10e6 to take down Black Frieza

I will wipe that egg off my face and cook it for breakfast, eat it, and enjoy it if and when that happens.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

istewart posted:

Why would Krillin nerf his own power by fusing with Yamcha though?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

istewart posted:

Tien tries it too with his Shin Kikoho which truly lives up to its name as he explodes himself into meaty chunks after attempting it once with kaoiken.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've been watching Dragon Ball and I'm in the third tournament and it's obvious that Toriyama had decided Yamcha's place in the pecking order here

Krillin, who was immediately merc'd after the second tournament by a King Piccolo goon, has a terrific showing against Junior where he repeatedly surprises him and shows how much he has grown since his resurrection. he surrenders and leaves the rings to an ovation from the crowd and with the begrudging respect of his opponent, the primary antagonist of the arc

everyone laughs at Yamcha as he gets his nuts headbutted "on accident" as he completely underestimates his opponent

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yamcha was the Worf of Dragonball before he became an even bigger joke.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Star Man posted:

This is literally what Toriyama did. Except by Buu he had also kinda dropped Krillin.

As the cast gets bigger more characters move to the ensemble and that's pretty sensible honestly. This is even the case in OG Dragonball. Yamcha's last bit of major focus is really the second World Tournament and Yajirobe is a big deal in the King Piccolo arc but immediately stops being a major figure after its done.

People react really angrily about this for some reason, and like yeah its a shame my boy Tien doesn't really get another fight following the Saiyan saga, but this is a move Dragonball has been making from the beginning. Every arc or so new major characters are introduced and often stick around and eventually that leads to older characters phasing out. Tien redemption leads to Yamcha not mattering, Piccolo redemption causes the same to happen to Tien and Krillin's revival causes Yajirobe to leave the cast. And like I dunno, I don't think that's bad writing or anything. At the very least I do really enjoy how Dragonball would always have new characters join the cast every new arc or so. Its cool and most of them are rad dudes that I enjoy.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yamcha should really enter the tournament in one of those years where all the Z squad forgets about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think the bigger issue is most of the cast don’t really accomplish much before the new wave takes their place.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The only ones that don't really get much are like Goten and Trunks imo. And that's probably because their most important scenes are as another guy.

Yamcha and Tien definitely get a lot of focus before they're phased out. Even Yajirobe gets to do poo poo for the single arc he is a main character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yam gave doesn’t do anything, neither does Krillen. Piccolos stuff is mostly character based but this is a battle manga so that only goes so far.

Hell I would say out of the cast that isn’t Vegeta Tien actually does the best

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I've been watching Dragon Ball and I'm in the third tournament and it's obvious that Toriyama had decided Yamcha's place in the pecking order here

Krillin, who was immediately merc'd after the second tournament by a King Piccolo goon, has a terrific showing against Junior where he repeatedly surprises him and shows how much he has grown since his resurrection. he surrenders and leaves the rings to an ovation from the crowd and with the begrudging respect of his opponent, the primary antagonist of the arc

everyone laughs at Yamcha as he gets his nuts headbutted "on accident" as he completely underestimates his opponent

I always felt it went back further than that, to when Yamcha gets smacked by Goku so hard it broke the manga panel after Goku got some food to eat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yam gave doesn’t do anything, neither does Krillen. Piccolos stuff is mostly character based but this is a battle manga so that only goes so far.

Hell I would say out of the cast that isn’t Vegeta Tien actually does the best

What are you talking about?

Those guys all get several world tournaments, Baba's tournament and assorted Red Ribbon stuff. And Krillin especially even gets a lot of stuff to do in Z when everyone else is getting phased out for Gohan, Piccolo and Vegeta.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

iamsosmrt posted:

Yamcha should really enter the tournament in one of those years where all the Z squad forgets about it.

Isn't he making bank as pro baseball player? Being a superhuman and all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What are you talking about?

Those guys all get several world tournaments, Baba's tournament and assorted Red Ribbon stuff. And Krillin especially even gets a lot of stuff to do in Z when everyone else is getting phased out for Gohan, Piccolo and Vegeta.

Lol Krillin crowning achievement is he didn’t get his rear end kicked as hard as people expected.

Some people find that impressive, I find that worthless

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol Krillin crowning achievement is he didn’t get his rear end kicked as hard as people expected.

Watch out we got a badass here

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Did you consider Gohan worthless until Cell then? Is Goku worthless during the Android arc because he only gets a single fight and loses it?

I dunno, its a real dumb way of looking at the series.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Krillin's crowning achievement is not an act of war, but of sweet, sweet love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Krillin's crowning achievement is not an act of war, but of sweet, sweet love