Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Danhenge posted:

Follow up question, y'all think Muir will sink to a "kneel before Jod" or "kneel before God" moment before Alecto is though?

Zod, I loving hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm honestly surprised it took 3 books to get a skeleton army joke in

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Danhenge posted:

It seemed to me that the flashbacks with John implied that you couldn't really "aim" it so you kind of ended up where you ended up, maybe based on where you started from?

I don't think it's ever explicitly explained, but from what Jod says when they're traveling via the River in HtN, it sounds like Steles are tethered to something called Obelisks somehow, which need to be emplaced manually, and there's mention of travel by "jumping from stele to stele".

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Entropic posted:

I don't think it's ever explicitly explained, but from what Jod says when they're traveling via the River in HtN, it sounds like Steles are tethered to something called Obelisks somehow, which need to be emplaced manually, and there's mention of travel by "jumping from stele to stele".

I was talking about the other FTL

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Entropic posted:

There's the steles and there's the FTL humanity seems to have come up with before the apocalypse that John needed 10,000 years to understand 10,000 years ago.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

And I am finally done. Good book overall. I wasn't that into the stuff around daily life and the gang, but also Nona's story really deserved to be its own full thing if only to make her unraveling at the end really hit as hard as it does. Poor sweet kid.

Also I was right, Jod absolutely was supposed to be some kind of super-druid but was so caught up in his meat-and-death paradigm that he hosed up what Earth was trying to help him do.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I really love that the poem at the beginning of the book is Alecto saying I still love you, but gets cut off when John puts her into stasis and then immediately finishes her sentence by saying “you” at the beginning of the epilogue.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished the book last night. Can't say much other than I enjoyed it, even if I was missing the snappy dialogue from the other two a bit, and Happy Birthday Nona.

Now to catch up with the One Flesh, One End reaction episode just so I can maybe get some more sense of things.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

funkymonks posted:

I really love that the poem at the beginning of the book is Alecto saying I still love you, but gets cut off when John puts her into stasis and then immediately finishes her sentence by saying “you” at the beginning of the epilogue.

Someone pointed that out on Tumblr as well. I just...I love these books

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I love the way that Alecto translates the things people are saying into archaic English. :allears:

"I am as one half-dead, but you would be two-halves dead, bitch."

That said, I don't think I would have the endurance for an entire book of that so I hope it doesn't continue over several hundred pages.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Keret posted:

That said, I don't think I would have the endurance for an entire book of that so I hope it doesn't continue over several hundred pages.

idk I wouldn't mind a couple chapters in the vein of get in line, thou big slut.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tiniestacorn posted:

idk I wouldn't mind a couple chapters in the vein of get in line, thou big slut.

I wouldn't either but the key would be "a couple of chapters."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I think it’s just supposed to be following the dream logic of the John interludes. I got “we in Revelation now, bitch” vibes out of it. Bonus points for the traditional author of Revelation to be some dude named John (not the apostle, some other one).

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 22, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think it’s just supposed to be following the dream logic of the John interludes. I got “we in Revelation now, bitch” vibes out of it. Bonus points for the traditional author of Revelation to be some dude named John (not the apostle, some other one).

As a preacher's kid I liked to read Revelation (well, not the letters part) because that was where God blew 75% of His SFX budget.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I made my most Spoilery Nona drink yet, the New Paul, a perfect variant of an Old Pal

https://twitter.com/ElixirLibris/status/1573525985110405120?t=7dfztjW_3cr6XPkDawDjNw&s=19

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

M_Gargantua posted:

Necromancers can only be born in the houses under the thanergetic wash of the system, which also makes birth extremely difficult even when done through science tubes.

I'm almost certain one of those paragraphs very strongly implied necromancers can be born outside of the Dominicus system. It's just an enormously higher percentage in the Houses, and also a born necromancer somewhere random will almost certainly never have the thanergy to start learning how to necromance.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm almost certain one of those paragraphs very strongly implied necromancers can be born outside of the Dominicus system. It's just an enormously higher percentage in the Houses, and also a born necromancer somewhere random will almost certainly never have the thanergy to start learning how to necromance.

There’s a line in GtN during the dinner with Magnus where Ianthe is explaining that they were born by c-section because Corona was killing Ianthe in the womb. Whoever she’s talking to (Pal?) comments “a lost opportunity” which A) lol and B) implies that they already know you can power up a necrobaby via war crimes. And yeah, good luck doing necromancy on a random planet without a source of thanergy like some lovely Teens leading the vanguard.

The cav and necro stuff to me reads like those idealistic late Middle Ages knights who grew up on romances and tried to live out the life of Roland or whatever, ending up as a million Don Quixotes blocking bridges in France and demanding duels from everyone who passed.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 24, 2022

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I appreciate this thread informing me that there is Catholic imagery in this series. I was raised Catholic and took Sunday school classes from pre-k to about age 16, but I didn’t pick up on ANY of this stuff.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I’m not sure about the Catholic “Paul” stuff, they certainly don’t seem to be proponents of God, as St Paul was. And Gideon doing the anagram thing makes me wonder if there’s something else going on. But I’m mostly hoping for a Paul/John Beatles thing.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I saw a reasonably compelling argument on Tumblr that Paul wasn't a reference to Paul the Apostle but instead to Pope Paul VI, the Pope who oversaw Vatican II / led huge reform in the Catholic church.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I hope so, because from all accounts I'm aware of, the Apostle one was a real shithead and not worth emulating.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay question on my Nona reread

What is She told Hot Sauce the Secret., I can't quite figure it out from context even having read the entire fuckin book

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Okay question on my Nona reread

What is She told Hot Sauce the Secret., I can't quite figure it out from context even having read the entire fuckin book

I think it’s that she knows she’s dying/her body is failing and hasn’t told anyone else yet

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

redcheval posted:

I think it’s that she knows she’s dying/her body is failing and hasn’t told anyone else yet

Yeah this was my read as well given that Hot Sauce basically told her to go to the doctor.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Finished it, loved it. The one unanswered question that really stuck out to me by the end was:

How did Gideon's and Harrow's bodies basically swap location between Book 2 and Book 3?

At the end of HtN, Harrow's body is on the Mithraeum. And in "As Yet Unsent", Gideon's body is held by Blood of Eden (at least I'm 90% sure they said that?) But in NtN, it's the exact opposite.

Pyrrha briefly explains to Nona how she absconded with Harrow's body, so that's fine I guess. But as far as I could tell there was no mention of how John got his hands on Gideon?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sailor Viy posted:

Finished it, loved it. The one unanswered question that really stuck out to me by the end was:

How did Gideon's and Harrow's bodies basically swap location between Book 2 and Book 3?

At the end of HtN, Harrow's body is on the Mithraeum. And in "As Yet Unsent", Gideon's body is held by Blood of Eden (at least I'm 90% sure they said that?) But in NtN, it's the exact opposite.

Pyrrha briefly explains to Nona how she absconded with Harrow's body, so that's fine I guess. But as far as I could tell there was no mention of how John got his hands on Gideon?

I always assumed that John basically lied to Harrow about not having Gideon's body. Gideon's body was probably kind of weird (not decaying, etc) and he wanted to keep studying instead of letting Harrow flense it down to a skeleton or something. Figure once Ianthe and John got out of the River, John transferred Gideon/Kiriona's spirit back into her own body, which he'd modified to be something like an undead Terminator, 'cause nothing but the best for his baby girl. While that was happening (and after John removed Gideon's spirit from it), Pyrrha grabbed Harrow's body, which now had Nona in it and scooted.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
As I understand it, at the end of HtN we have:

Gideon's body with Blood of Eden, Gideon's soul with Harrow's body.
Harrow's body in the River; Harrow's soul in the River which then travels to the Tomb and sets up in Alecto's body
Alecto's body in the Tomb, her soul also in the River? Gideon sees Alecto coming for her right at the end.

Harrow's body is with Pyrrha; Alecto's soul forces Gideon's out and takes over, becoming Nona. Gideon's soul goes ????

We know Blood of Eden has Gideon's body for awhile. There's mention of them doing all kinds of weird stuff to make it decay BUT in As Yet Unsent we have Mercymorn wanting to see the body; maybe she snatched it afterwards? So it could possibly be on the Mithraeum by the end of HtN.

There's just some mystery time unaccounted for like after Ianthe helps Jod not get sucked into hell, does he just push the Mithraeum out of the River? Or is that just gone forever now?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Sailor Viy posted:

Camilla or Pyrrha (I can't remember which right at the moment) does mention to Nona that there was some kind of altercation when she was still very young and they lost "something important," which I assume is about Camilla and Corona losing Gideon's body after "As Yet Unsent."

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

disposablewords posted:

Camilla or Pyrrha (I can't remember which right at the moment) does mention to Nona that there was some kind of altercation when she was still very young and they lost "something important," which I assume is about Camilla and Corona losing Gideon's body after "As Yet Unsent."

Yeah the last thing in HtN is Camilla/Paladames picking up Gideon/Harrow/Nona from the Mithraeum. BoE were already in the system as they had met Harrow earlier on that other planet, with the Gideon body on board. It also sounds like there was a battle of some sort, they lost some ships, maybe Gideon's body was on a different shuttle that got left behind when they ran - that's how they got Phyrra as well.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Just finished. I definitely feel like this was a great first half to a book.

It felt like the whole book was mainly building up "refugee atmosphere", which was done well and is something I appreciate, but a ton of it ends up being irrelevant until, hopefully, the next book.

If Nona was Alecto from the start, was there any plan going on there or was she just hanging around with brain damage? She seemed pretty together when she was talking to Varun/The Captain, but I is it just that knowing about the Alecto side of her speeds up her death? We've seen before in these books. I really like the characters and the atmosphere, but a lot of this feels poorly planned, with Alecto just switching bodies so she can be present while the people who want to find her go find her.

One question: Do we know how Anastasia the First died? She was involved in guarding Alecto's tomb, and she almost got perfect Lyctor-hood (which seems odd, now that we know John is a Lyctor off of planet power).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I love that Pyrrha and Calamedes don't know that the reason Nona's hair grows super fast isn't actually anything to do with her latent necromantic superpowers, it's because Ianthe messed with Harrow's hair follicles while helping her lobotomize herself in the previous book.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 26, 2022

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Just finished. I definitely feel like this was a great first half to a book.

It felt like the whole book was mainly building up "refugee atmosphere", which was done well and is something I appreciate, but a ton of it ends up being irrelevant until, hopefully, the next book.

It may prove to be mostly irrelevant in plot terms (I assume Born in the Morning is not going to play a pivotal role in the destiny of the universe) but I think it was pretty important thematically. We've spent two books in the viewpoint of a bloodthirsty empire that's deep in denial about just how awful it is, so it was important to see the other side--not just from the BOE characters but the ordinary people getting ground up in the imperial war machine.

Making space for these "minor" characters is actually kind of reflected in the Angel's attitude within the story. Even though her real duties are much more important, she still makes time for the kids because otherwise, what's the point of all the other stuff?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

So was Nona actually in some kind of communication with the resurrection beast above the planet - and was that beast speaking to her through the captain when they were on the trucks at the end? Or did I misinterpret that.

Anyway just finished over the weekend, and though I can't say I enjoyed it as much as the first two books, it was a great read, and a great puzzle box to figure out wtf is going on.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

AcidCat posted:

So was Nona actually in some kind of communication with the resurrection beast above the planet - and was that beast speaking to her through the captain when they were on the trucks at the end? Or did I misinterpret that.

That's pretty much how I read it too. There was some weird kind of communication going on, not just Nona's usual attempts to befriend everything.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah definitely.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
It specifically stopped dropping Heralds when she told it to stop being weird so I’m going with ‘yes’

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I assumed Nona could talk to it because Alecto is technically a resurrection beast? They'd be sort of like siblings, in my mind.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
New Muir interview. Has spoilers

https://theportalist.com/tasmyn-muir-interview

e: oh whoops my twitter is way out of date. its from the 9th, on the 9th month

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

I assumed Nona could talk to it because Alecto is technically a resurrection beast? They'd be sort of like siblings, in my mind.

Totes.

Also that interview is great.

quote:

Harrow’s brain is a length of rusty barbed wire locked in a box buried in a desert. Gideon’s brain is that YouTube video of the German guy who tries to jump through the ice on a swimming pool but the ice doesn’t break, so he just hurts his arse really badly and he’s lying there going ‘ah, mein Arsch, mein Arsch’ while all his friends kill themselves laughing. Nona’s brain is a GIF I saw of a dog jumping over a really high gate by whirling its tail like a propeller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Robo Reagan posted:

New Muir interview. Has spoilers

https://theportalist.com/tasmyn-muir-interview

e: oh whoops my twitter is way out of date. its from the 9th, on the 9th month

I need to get some kind of mastery over Time because I do not want to wait any longer than I have to for this stuff.