Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

HopperUK posted:

decals are satan :mad:

Truth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

HopperUK posted:

You just haven't met the right sheet yet. Here's a few examples to get you in the mood.

(I like big sheets and I cannot lie)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Listen I've been known to paint lines on little tiny boats because the decals hate me

I do like that leopardskin plane though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

You just haven't met the right sheet yet. Here's a few examples to get you in the mood.

(I like big sheets and I cannot lie)
Is that whole camo pattern just a decal? :psyduck:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Is that whole camo pattern just a decal? :psyduck:

That's a decal set for an F-16

Revel had some of the best F-16 paint jobs in 1:72 for awhile.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04363-f-16a--104207

edit:
see also

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03980-f-16-mlu-solo-display--237838

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 14, 2022

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

That's that F-16 kit with all the decals applied. Fun fact: the exhaust alone has 45 decals on it. Also not pictured: the morning star on the bottom I had to slice up to fit on the three landing gear doors as well as the bottom of the plane. That one was clearly designed for a gear-up build.

Another fun fact: that design was made by Daco Products, both for this kit as well as the actual real-life plane.

I'm currently actually working on another Revell F-16 with a cool giant decal sheet:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04844-lockheed-martin-f-16c-solo-tuerk--169029

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

HopperUK posted:

These are the words of anyone who's just reached the decal stage of an F4 Phantom build and realised they now have to apply 400 microscopic stencil decals.

HopperUK posted:

Listen I've been known to paint lines on little tiny boats because the decals hate me

I do like that leopardskin plane though.

I made the foolish decision to use the masking set for the deck markings that came with Trumpeter's detail-up set for the chinese carrier I recently built, instead of the kit decals, and ended up spending about 6 weeks carefully lining them all up, airbrushing, and then tidying up all the underspray and wonky markings. I think it was worth it though!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HopperUK posted:

but satan is good??

vvv decals can be a huge pain in the rear end, especially if they're too thin/thick/small/big/anything, but stickers look like poo poo. I have absolutely just said gently caress it on decal-heavy kits, but IMO skipping it is preferable to stickers.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 14, 2022

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Decals are perfectly fine, and I am continuously shocked by the gunpla thread's preference for stickers. Some setter and softener and you got yourself a stew, baby.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Decals are legit one of my favourite bits of building a model but then I almost exclusively build race cars and decals are par for the the course. They aren't all created equal though and it's a tie for tamiyas own and hasegawas ones for the worst. All of the nunu decals are done by SK Decals and are lovely to work with in my experience.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
One more for the road:

Some of those have to be placed with the wings spread and around the movable pylons on the bottom of the wings, followed by moving the wings to verify correct positioning.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
gently caress all of that.

grassy gnoll posted:

Decals are perfectly fine, and I am continuously shocked by the gunpla thread's preference for stickers. Some setter and softener and you got yourself a stew, baby.
Stickers are a little more robust and gunpla people tend to like their models to be poseable.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Arquinsiel posted:

Stickers are a little more robust and gunpla people tend to like their models to be poseable.

I've found decals to be quite durable, really.

Waterslides really do need ~time~. And much of gunpla is not about ~time~. I can sit down with a sticker sheet of 200 stickers, and just.. keep moving. And I can't do that when doing decals.

... I still prefer waterslides.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Daco does some really nice Belgian decals. Especially for those Tiger Meet specials. I got an F16 way back in the 90s that was a Revell kit, but the model quality was iffy, so I put them on a Hasegawa kit. I did have to touch up a couple of spots with some black paint, but I liked the way it turned out.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Decals can be plenty durable if you put a coat of clear over the top, which most scale modellers do in order to blend them in and protect them from weathering. I've no idea if this is common amongst gundam-builders, though.

The worst decals I've ever encountered are Academy's, which look nice and thin on the sheet but are stiff as a board, don't react to any softening solutions I've tried and have really poor adhesive. I think Academy must have recognised how bad they were as they started announcing on the front of their later kits that they now feature Cartograf decals (aka the best decal printer around). Just avoid any Academy decals where the sheet says 'printed in Korea'.

One thing I've discovered recently is that the thick decals from Tamiya, Hasegawa and Fujimi need to be used with Tamiya Markfit or Mr Hobby Mr Setter/Softer, as those are the decals those products were specifically designed for and so have different chemistry. European-style decals work fine with microset/sol though, but those will never get as good a result with Japanese decals.

tidal wave emulator fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 14, 2022

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, I was gonna bring up topcoating. I'd say it's common but not compulsory; robot kits encompass such a huge range of modeling familiarity that I guarantee you the majority of Gundam builders have never heard of topcoating, while also attracting the kind of hardcore nerds who would look at you aghast if you suggested they leave the thing in bare, unlined plastic.

Anybody who buys a kit and willingly puts decals instead of stickers on it is probably deep enough down the rabbit hole to varnish it afterward.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Speaking of decals, this was posted in the train thread:

Vaporware posted:

I was buying some intermodal decals the other day and laughed at the homer/Foamer graffiti decal they sell.

https://circusdecals.ecwid.com/products/Railroad-Graffiti-S-1-64-Scale-Decal-Set-p456255021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

grassy gnoll posted:

Yeah, I was gonna bring up topcoating. I'd say it's common but not compulsory; robot kits encompass such a huge range of modeling familiarity that I guarantee you the majority of Gundam builders have never heard of topcoating, while also attracting the kind of hardcore nerds who would look at you aghast if you suggested they leave the thing in bare, unlined plastic.

Anybody who buys a kit and willingly puts decals instead of stickers on it is probably deep enough down the rabbit hole to varnish it afterward.
This does seem to be the case. Plenty of Gundam nerds will just stick a robot together out of the box and be happy with it, and others will go the whole hog and end up with cell-shaded paintjobs matching specific frames. All of my robot building has been turning Macross kits into BattleTech stuff.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I saw a survey on some facebook modeling group asking about the temp of the water used to soften the decals and the replies were all over the place. The "room temperature" in my basement is about 65F and it takes forever to soften decals. I use the hottest water out of the tap and that has always worked great for me. Then again, I stick with Hasegawa and Tamiya kits that aren't older than me. I remember as a kid in the 80s using room temperature water and that worked fine, but it seems like I need hotter water now.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I use a small bowl of microwaved (read: hot) water that's then placed on a mug warmer. Hot water is the only way to go.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I've always used room temperature water without any problems, but I also hit thicker decals with a couple of coats of Mark Fit Strong and that'll melt the poo poo out of anything. Sometimes varnish, if you're unlucky.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Y’all complaining about decals like PE ain’t no thing.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hello modeling thread, I've got a bit of an odd request: can some body in the US do me a favor and take this Knight Rider kit off my hands?

I got it in a fit of fangirlism years ago and now have no desire to do a car model. I sorta think all the parts are there? It was sold to me as an open box with the seller swearing all the bits were there, and does include a bonus aftermarket LED mod for under the hood. Pm me if you want it. edit: claimed!

In the meantime I'm finally cracking into this Cowboy Bebop kit that sits neatly at the intersection of all our major modern modeling general threads since it's a Bandai anime kit, that includes mini figures, and is a space ship. It'll be exciting to see if I screw it up before I even get to the stage where I try to weather it.

Arquinsiel posted:

This does seem to be the case. Plenty of Gundam nerds will just stick a robot together out of the box and be happy with it, and others will go the whole hog and end up with cell-shaded paintjobs matching specific frames. All of my robot building has been turning Macross kits into BattleTech stuff.

Turning Macross into Battle Tech, eh? I've no idea if this is a good deal or not on ebay.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 15, 2022

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Turbinosamente posted:

Hello modeling thread, I've got a bit of an odd request: can some body in the US do me a favor and take this Knight Rider kit off my hands?

I got it in a fit of fangirlism years ago and now have no desire to do a car model. I sorta think all the parts are there? It was sold to me as an open box with the seller swearing all the bits were there, and does include a bonus aftermarket LED mod for under the hood. Pm me if you want it.

pm'ing!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

I got it in a fit of fangirlism years ago and now have no desire to do a car model. I sorta think all the parts are there? It was sold to me as an open box with the seller swearing all the bits were there, and does include a bonus aftermarket LED mod for under the hood. Pm me if you want it.

In the meantime I'm finally cracking into this Cowboy Bebop kit that sits neatly at the intersection of all our major modern modeling general threads since it's a Bandai anime kit, that includes mini figures, and is a space ship. It'll be exciting to see if I screw it up before I even get to the stage where I try to weather it.

Turning Macross into Battle Tech, eh? I've no idea if this is a good deal or not on ebay.

Oh, snap. I've been looking for a Swordfish for years - iirc they've been out of print for ages. Where'd you come across yours?

Regardless, please post a trip report. Faye's little zipcraft thing is alright, but not the most complex kit in the world.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

grassy gnoll posted:

Oh, snap. I've been looking for a Swordfish for years - iirc they've been out of print for ages. Where'd you come across yours?

Regardless, please post a trip report. Faye's little zipcraft thing is alright, but not the most complex kit in the world.

Ebay, back when it was closer to 45 dollars to import it from Japan. Looking at them now they range from about 60 to 100 on there and there's apparently another version of the kit that bothers to give you a stand to sit the ship on, but other wise looks identical.

I'll try my best to post a trip report. I'm expecting it to take me a while as I intend to paint it all, the base red isn't all that great. It works I suppose, but it just seems really off. Thus far all I've done is clean the plastic and hopefully the humidity will go down so I can test the spray can of tamiya primer I bought on some sprue chunks first. The internet said that was best to use on Bandai plastic, and an initial test with Vallejo primer scratched off a little too easy for my taste.

I am not looking forward to painting the scale size Spike figures, especially the sitting one for the cockpit as his arms are separate and have to be glued in.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Only the Phalanx from that lot made it directly into BattleTech. I am tempted to get back on that horse though...

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

If you like Macross those are some sorely out of print kits, but for the age of them I expect they're fairly basic. Bandai didn't really start nailing their plamo construction until the early 2000s.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

RillAkBea posted:

If you like Macross those are some sorely out of print kits, but for the age of them I expect they're fairly basic. Bandai didn't really start nailing their plamo construction until the early 2000s.

I just have an overall weakness for mechs/giant robutts and was foolishly browsing Ebay and Mandarake to see what else was around. Even the Nadescio kit being sold in SA mart is super tempting, even though I only saw like four episodes of that show. But I am sticking to my guns and completing old projects first before buying anything more.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Turbinosamente posted:

Years ago, I bought the Swordfish at Anime Central, when it was still in arlington heights. I had it for.. five? six? long enough that I wasn't dating the girl I was with at the time I bought it. And made money selling it on ebay. I never opened the plastic, so I didn't know what I was missing. At this very moment, I am surrounded by Bandai kits. hah.

For the Macross kits, I have built the VF-19 kit. And it's... mostly ok. I should paint mine because the color of the plastic doesn't work so well with nub marks. And using tamiya thin to un-craze the plastic only goes so far.

The Macross models are... Hmm.... OK. I've built a few of them. With a lot of work, the Phalanx will come out well. I built the thunderbolt, and I'm darned proud of it. It looks like they already started working on the Zentradi power armor, so i'm not sure how they'd expect you to sort out the seam lines. That said, $42? that's a good deal. "I" won't steal it from under you. :-) The Phalanx alone can go for that much.

In general the ARCII kits are pretty rough. I built the VF-1's so I'd have some 1:144th scale stuff to display with my Gunpla. The VF-1 is freaking tiny. Like A4 sized. "shockingly tiny"

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Nerobro posted:

That said, $42? that's a good deal. "I" won't steal it from under you. :-)

Go right ahead, I already deleted it off my watchlist. Maybe after the Swordfish I'll nab a Sakura Wars kit off Mandarake? There's a cheap older one made by Kaiyodo and some newer Bandai ones for some revival that are also pretty cheap, since that series' time in the sun is pretty well over. So cheap it'll cost me more to ship em.

For anybody curious, the spue on the Swordfish says 2000 for a date.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Man, I ordered that Swordfish kit from one of my local hobby shops, they got it it, I forgot to get it then they closed shop. After being open like 50+ years.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I finished my space submarine earlier in the month, but didn't get around to posting it because of brain funk and also my phone camera throwing everything into soap opera mode. Please enjoy these weirdly yellow tablet pics instead.

Overall positive experience. Suyata's molds are excellent, although the directions could use a couple of clarifying details on rare occasions. I'm led to believe this is actually pretty big for a 1/700 "submarine;" it's about half the size of their space battleship kit I've also got. Any pointers are welcome, 'cause I still have no idea what I'm doing with this thing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No tips needed, that's dope as hell!

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
Due to the original location of my nerdcave being needed as a bedroom, I've moved up a floor:

Still gotta put a plug on the light's wire and move the completed kits though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

Due to the original location of my nerdcave being needed as a bedroom, I've moved up a floor:

Looks like a nice and bright space to work.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I like the music stand too. I am definitely going to crib that when I relocate from the basement over the winter.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

The SNES stuff combined with the bright, inviting feel lend the whole workspace a wonderful ambiance. That photo is zen embodied.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
This reminds me that I saved a whole bunch of posters that came with kits with the goal of putting them up eventually but I never did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
My modeling bench is just a goony mess