Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Even if Paige could still go I'm not sure what she adds to the division. A name I suppose

She can talk which the division definitely needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Pylons posted:

She’s also still over as hell.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Even if Paige could still go I'm not sure what she adds to the division. A name I suppose

She's instantly the most over woman in the division

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Rarity posted:

That doesn't seem to matter to a lot of posters. Because they don't know who she is or don't care. Therefore she's bad for business. Posters really should never be given the book....except for Tony

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Look I’ve been watching wrestling for two months. I know how to book better than Tony Conman.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rarity posted:

I also think that she's a harder person to ignore and relegate to Dark or the pissbreak spot on Dynamite, which is really the main thing the division needs. Then again I thought that about Ruby too.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think the ideal use of her is the MJF schedule where she mostly talks and does segments to advance feuds, with her wrestling being a rarer occasion.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I mean, is she physically able to wrestle?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Presumably because otherwise what’s the point of her coming out and the top of the division all acting afraid of her

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I also think that she's a harder person to ignore and relegate to Dark or the pissbreak spot on Dynamite, which is really the main thing the division needs. Then again I thought that about Ruby too.

If Saraya gets as good as Ruby did when she worked on stuff on Dark I look forward to Excalibur and Taz commenting on some Saraya matches.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

If Saraya gets as good as Ruby did when she worked on stuff on Dark I look forward to Excalibur and Taz commenting on some Saraya matches.

She was at least that good when I last saw her wrestle so she's a great signing.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

We haven't even scratched the surface of the deranged Saraya takes on the horizon. This thread is gonna EAT

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

saraya will be on rampage a lot and she is going to say "rampage here." The entire forum stood up and laughed

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

We haven't even scratched the surface of the deranged Saraya takes on the horizon. This thread is gonna EAT

https://twitter.com/ThaMagicTV/status/1572812816481980416?s=20&t=jNk7Ub_xQK-DzcukBJW0og

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The champ in waiting and the new tag champs are booked bad what

I'll give them Jamie

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...ossmf&context=3

quote:

These girls are going to kill Paige

Ruby broke her nose so once again we get some “AEW is extremely dangerous” takes. Never mind the fact that multiple women in WWE, including Becky Lynch, are currently injured and that AEW hasn’t had any injury as bad as Big E breaking his neck.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Or Nyla injuring her hole.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...ossmf&context=3

Ruby broke her nose so once again we get some “AEW is extremely dangerous” takes. Never mind the fact that multiple women in WWE, including Becky Lynch, are currently injured and that AEW hasn’t had any injury as bad as Big E breaking his neck.

Wonder if they're equally worried about Edge wrestling in the same division as Ridge Holland

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

Eh, I think there's a good argument that they should just get the existing women over. Saraya was a really ok wrestler and I'm not sure what a bunch of years not wrestling have given her that Tony doesn't already have if he just worked on the division.

Edit: to be clear I'm excited for the deranged takes. I just don't get why people are hyped for her.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Pylons posted:

All you have to do is look at the response to Marina's promo on Elevation. It's going to take time and effort to get a lot of the women more comfortable at talking in front of a crowd. Saraya is already used to that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Eh, I think there's a good argument that they should just get the existing women over. Saraya was a really ok wrestler and I'm not sure what a bunch of years not wrestling have given her that Tony doesn't already have if he just worked on the division.

Edit: to be clear I'm excited for the deranged takes. I just don't get why people are hyped for her.

Probably because she was insanely over during her time in WWE, would be my guess

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Rey Mysterio literally killed a man in the middle of a match but nobody's clutching their pearls about him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

Rey Mysterio literally killed a man in the middle of a match but nobody's clutching their pearls about him.

https://twitter.com/veryimportant/status/1568041600093245440

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

The women's division has a circular problem in that the audience(both live and at-home) are measurably not as interested in it as they are in men's stuff, but a lot of that is because they don't get much time, and they don't get much time because the audience is not as interested in the women as they are in the men

It's easy to say "well just commit to eating poo poo on some extra quarters for a while until you retrain the viewers to care about the division"(and I agree that's what they should have done) but AEW's thus far not been willing to make that sacrifice. Saraya's debut is hopefully regarded as a shortcut toward getting the whole division over because she's a star on the level the division's never had and wasn't likely to produce on its own anytime soon. Will it work out that way? I dunno, I hope so

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

So was Athena. So was Ruby. At some point, it doesn't matter if they're super over on debut if Tony's just gonna run one program, have them lose and then lose them in the shuffle.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
on the scale of WWE Debuts, Athena never got out of NXT and Ruby spent years on the losing end of 2-minute tag team squashes

Saraya had a movie made about her life produced by The Rock.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

So was Athena. So was Ruby. At some point, it doesn't matter if they're super over on debut if Tony's just gonna run one program, have them lose and then lose them in the shuffle.

I love Athena and Ruby and agree they have both been misused but it is absurd to pretend they're on Saraya's level

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Like if you really want to make that argument, Toni is extremely over and the current interim champ and would've won the actual belt if not for Rosa's injury.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

on the scale of WWE Debuts, Athena never got out of NXT and Ruby spent years on the losing end of 2-minute tag team squashes

Athena got drafted to Raw back in 2018! And then did remarkably little for a year before blowing out her knee chasing someone for the 24/7 title.

Then when she came back, they stuck her back on NXT. But she did get out!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Athena did get out of NXT but she was part of the chase the 24/7 champion geek parade.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
NXT is a mindset

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gaz-L posted:

Ruby and Athena were fine additions to the roster but they were nowhere near the star as Saraya is.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

Ruby and Athena were fine additions to the roster but they were nowhere near the star as Saraya is.

What's the classic Paige match I should watch to understand why people are this excited?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

NXT is a mindset

"the minor leagues", we call em

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gumball Gumption posted:

What's the classic Paige match I should watch to understand why people are this excited?

There's not really much. A couple of fun matches with Emma in NXT a decade ago. A couple of matches in Shimmer against Cheerleader Melissa & her mam in 2011.

And that was all before the injuries turned her neck into something incredibly fragile.

She was an important part in the transition away from the divas to the much-vaunted Women's Revolution™ along with AJ Lee, even if that role has somehow been granted to the Bellas in WWE history. That said, she was a main roster wrestler for about 26 months before the injury, and I know she was on WWE TV in a non-wrestling role for a while but it does feel people are exaggerating somewhat how big a star she was, because of the film. Which got made because of a prior documentary and because it's an interesting and weird story rather than because she was a huge star.

But I could be underrating her stardom in fairness. I'd already checked out on WWE before her run there ended.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Just using social media as a shorthand for fame/popularity...

Saraya
2.7m Twitter followers / 6.1m Instagram followers

Athena
458.2k Twitter / 739k Instagram

Toni Storm
No Twitter / 725k Instagram

Ruby Soho
391.1k Twitter / 683k Instagram

Britt Baker
343.8k Twitter / 443k Instagram

Jade Cargill
168.4k Twitter / 798k Instagram (lol at that ratio)

Jamie Hayter
116.2k Twitter / 152k Instagram

Even an unquestionable WWE star with some crossover exposure like Sasha Banks is behind Saraya (2.4 million Twitter followers, 5.6 million Instagram followers). Saraya is 100% in a different league fame-wise than any other woman in AEW. Sure hope she can wrestle!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

I don't think Athena was ever the most over woman in the division. Ruby was definitely very over on her debut and she's regained some of it but Athena felt like someone who the crowd likes but wasn't close to the level of Britt Baker.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

not her matches really, which honestly were fine, but more when she was called up. it was the end cap of the divas era of wwe pretty much, so there's a lot of diva stans that love her, plus part of the early mainstream womens wrestling evolution with AJ Lee and Emma in NXT when it first started. She was pushed hard as THE face of the womens division in WWE before her first injury and other life issues took her off TV that girls that probably watched her gowning up 10 years ago might be into AEW now. To a lot of people she is also a very attractive young woman who made a lot of money off of twitch mostly by being attractive.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gumball Gumption posted:

To add to everyone else, especially those pointing to that her and AJ Lee were the bridge between the divas era and women being taken seriously, is that she was presented as the anti-diva. In a time of nearly all blonde models there was this pseudo-goth leather second generation (third?) woman from SHIMMER that used holds from joshi and while very attractive was not the WWE type of attractive in being as pale as milk and jet black hair.

Here she is with a very young Becky Lynch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93nBkPSV1-k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Tony should have gotten Numb as Saraya's entrance music to further cement AEW as the official promotion of the music scene circa 2001-04