Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

holy loving poo poo

When I saw UNK on the side of the shark I FLIPPED OUT

Edit interesting how much Vegapunk’s mech looks like Franky, down to having a number printed on it

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ill be mad if vegapunk is just one more nami in a skin tight bodysuit

give me the fun design oda! you owe everyone this!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Thank god Oda didn't leave us hanging, and finally solved the most important mystery of One Piece. Chopper's hat is safe.

Waffleman_ posted:

Vegapunk is a hivemind and is his own laboratory staff.

Ah, so when Oda told us that One Piece wasn't going to turn out to be the friends we made along the way, what he meant was Vegapunk was the friends we made along the way.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rigged Death Trap posted:

ill be mad if vegapunk is just one more nami in a skin tight bodysuit

give me the fun design oda! you owe everyone this!

I have to say I agree honestly. At the same time I have a feeling we will definitely see more than one Vegapunk. Also I love that the big robot is basically a wild Testujin 28. Frankie's reaction was great.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Cat Machine posted:

He's called "an old man" in Chapter 658.

also, Punk 02 calls herself unworthy, which would be understandable if you’re comparing yourself to the worlds smartest person

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
I was reading this on a call and forgot i was not muted and said, no, screamed HOLY gently caress out loud

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

r00tn00b posted:

I was reading this on a call and forgot i was not muted and said, no, screamed HOLY gently caress out loud

Lmao

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

One Piece rules.

No Wave posted:

This man loves drawing breasts!

Titties rule.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Meme Emulator posted:

also, Punk 02 calls herself unworthy, which would be understandable if you’re comparing yourself to the worlds smartest person

Maybe Vegapunk just has an inferiority complex.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe Vegapunk just has an inferiority complex.

Well yeah makes sense for the only one of the one piece super science people to *not* think theyre hot poo poo to be vegapunk.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
This was a pretty thirsty chapter and I'm all for it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
one piece good

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

didn't hit me until seeing vegapunk that one piece really is ending

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oddium posted:

didn't hit me until seeing vegapunk that one piece really is ending

we're probably finally gonna know what devil fruits are by the end of the year, which is loving crazy to think about

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

It's just me or the art was quite rough here and there?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Vermain posted:

we're probably finally gonna know what devil fruits are by the end of the year, which is loving crazy to think about

Nah there's only like 9 or 10 chapters left this year

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Scholtz posted:

Nah there's only like 9 or 10 chapters left this year

He'll just say it nonchalantly next chapter, "Devil Fruit powers are stored in the balls."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

tbp posted:

honestly makes sense that we get thrust right into vegapunk. there are startlingly few characters left on the planet that wouldn't react with absurd deference to luffy given his status at this point, but one piece is best told when our cast are outsiders and not constantly in the ascendency. this also would make elbaf and the giants work i think

First of all, holy poo poo it's Vegapunk (or a clone)!

Second, although I was expecting Elbaf after Wano, seeing Vegapunk now makes sense since we are heading into the endgame now with Shanks and Blackbeard I.e. Haki vs Devil Fruits. Luffy also just recently tapped into the fullest potential of his Devil Fruit, so now would be a good time to unpack the mysteries of what makes Devil Fruits work the way they do.

More predictions:

Vegapunk will give a lecture on how Devil Fruits/Lineage Factor etc work and Luffy will fall asleep. Luffy will then wake up to ask Vegapunk if he/she poops and Vegapunk gladly gives a full survey of how pooping works, enthralling Luffy's attention.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 22, 2022

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

maybe franky will get focus on his end of things.
They're on Giant Robot Island, I'm fully expecting Franky to be one of the main characters of this arc.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ahh... so they're mystery fruits.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Vegapunk is definitely going to have a reaction of some kind to seeing his work replicated; whether he's happy or annoyed remains to be seen.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Reminder that Franky is labelled BF-36

e: Well Bf-37 now after the timeskip

Kild fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 22, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i also saw it noted that vegapunk speaks in the style of an old man in japanese here

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

looks like we’re gonna get Luffy/sword team up to rescue Colby? I’m not sure if BB gets shoehorned in or if it’s just a raid with him gone. If BB is actually there seems like poo poo is gonna hit the fan fast, with a roger/garp parallel to Luffy/ prince maybe?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
does Luffy care that much about Coby to drop everything to go save him?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Probably wrong, but this feels like table setting for the next main isle, the way Sanji's father's base and Zunesha were. Setting up characters for an adventure to Elbaf to do something with that big ol' tree.

Speaking of being wrong, which I am, nice to see those kids are ok.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Carpator Diei posted:

They're on Giant Robot Island, I'm fully expecting Franky to be one of the main characters of this arc.
I want to hope, but I thought the same thing about Zoro in Act 1 of Wano. After they told me all those years ago that he was "like a samurai"... :negative:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If anyone wants to pore over these for details, here are all of the pages of Franky in eating crabs in Maryland at Dr. Vegapunk's lab in Baldimore

I only glanced at them while grabbing these but of note is Taroimo, the robot dog, also has a number: 28.

Another fun fact: Taroimo and I share a birthday. :kiddo:

e: Oh there's also this cover story of Franky being chased by a bunch of numbered cyborgs

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 22, 2022

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I miss Franky's old design.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Eggplant Squire posted:

I miss Franky's old design.
:emptyquote:

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
i miss centaur mode

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I appreciate Oda's moxie, he went all in on the biggest shoulders in shonen. There wasn't a person alive who didn't :eyepop: when they first laid eyes on them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That chapter :supaburn::hf::derp:

Gyges posted:

Thank god Oda didn't leave us hanging, and finally solved the most important mystery of One Piece. Chopper's hat is safe.

That was the best :3:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Kild posted:

Reminder that Franky is labelled BF-36

e: Well Bf-37 now after the timeskip

Bf-38 incoming. Calling it now. :toot:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

general franky is BF-38. sorry

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Where's my cool friend Smoker?

Tashigi's here and all these Sword guys. My man's gotta be around.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wow. Honestly, of all the possibilities I was not prepared for that one.

Though I wish the chapter title wasn't so suggestive! I was like, "wait, what, island of the future? Vegapunk?" as soon as I saw the title and the reveal in the chapter was just a confirmation.

Still crazy though! Why does there have to be a break week now!

Panic Restaurant posted:

Holy poo poo

Also Vegapunk is trans, her island’s even shaped like a giant cracked egg
Honestly, that was my first thought.

There could be a lot of mad science poo poo going on, but that seems like the most straightforward explanation.

Alternately she's just a woman and "old man" is a term of endearment/ironic nickname based on her speech patterns or something.

I'm not going to be surprised if it's robot clones or something, but it could also just be what it looks like.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Except that people have seen Vegapunk face to face and we've been shown his lower half and he's been voiced in the anime by a man.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah either a daughter, a female clone, or Vega is trans. I’m good with any of those but look forward to the explanation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Or a robot.