Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alternatively, the male version we’ve heard/vaguely seen so far is the robot/clone and this is in fact the real Vegapunk

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
we don’t have the official translation to compare to yet, but imo it was sort of telling that Vegapunk introduces herself like “you can call me Vegapunk” which is a normal way to introduce yourself but also works in the context of it not being her real name or things otherwise not being as straightforward as they seem.

Also yeah, with everything that’s happened the past month or so culminating in this:

oddium posted:

didn't hit me until seeing vegapunk that one piece really is ending

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Except that people have seen Vegapunk face to face and we've been shown his lower half and he's been voiced in the anime by a man.
We were shown an imagined image of his lower half and the anime wasn't exactly gonna reveal this. Anything evasive they did would be a give away.

There are probably shenanigans afoot, but it's not airtight.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

Or a robot.

This is my guess. Some sort of robot body, since we know his clones have to grow up at normal speed.

I liked the little interlude with the giant kids, nice to be reminded of the last mad scientist we met, even though he's been showing up in the cover page arc lately.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
If this is Vegapunk straight up I'll be bummed cuz the design is kinda bland and I've been hyping them up in my head for like ten years

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fecha posted:

If this is Vegapunk straight up I'll be bummed cuz the design is kinda bland and I've been hyping them up in my head for like ten years

it wouldn't surprise me at all if this was vegapunk jr

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eiba posted:

We were shown an imagined image of his lower half and the anime wasn't exactly gonna reveal this. Anything evasive they did would be a give away.

There are probably shenanigans afoot, but it's not airtight.

the anime and oda would never outright lie to the viewer like that, i dont think. i cant think of any examples of anything similar happening.

and again, vegapunk's been explicitly referred to as male even in japanese.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Larryb posted:

Alternatively, the male version we’ve heard/vaguely seen so far is the robot/clone and this is in fact the real Vegapunk

:hmmyes:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think this is the real Vegapunk for a couple different reasons, but it'd be funny if, hypothetically, Oda just, like, forgot about saying he's a dude earlier until people point it out, and then had to backtrack quickly. Serialized storytelling can get weird/fun like that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arist posted:

I don't think this is the real Vegapunk for a couple different reasons, but it'd be funny if, hypothetically, Oda just, like, forgot about saying he's a dude earlier until people point it out, and then had to backtrack quickly. Serialized storytelling can get weird/fun like that

I don't think the body is the real Vegapunk, but I think the words might be from the real Vegapunk

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vegapunk is a babe and we're all just going to have to accept that.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Vegapunk might also just be a brain or consciousness and they have a wardrobe of bodies they could put themselves into or something like that

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Following Kiku and Yamato's example, Vegapunk came out sometime in the past two years and is now living her best life.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Hedge your bets!

This is Vegapunk's daughter or wife, who is also technically Dr Vegapunk but not THE Vegapunk
Vegapunk was always a woman and she's been de-aged. The mysterious Vegapunk people had encountered before was an android so other scientists would take her more seriously
Vegapunk is just using an android body/devil fruit which is why there's a model on the coat
vegapunk had been de-aged and gender swapped by devil fruits

Personally I think Vegapunk has been alive for centuries and keeps finding ways to swap themselves into new bodies, either via devil fruits or android bodies and this is just their current appearance, the original Dr Vegapunk has just been lost to time

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 23, 2022

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the father-daughter pair is so ubiquitous in one piece that I didn't even consider other options at first tbh

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

The SWORD Rear Admiral is totally Corazon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's incredibly rude of Oda to put really good chapters before break weeks

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Doctor Syrup posted:

But he’s really dead.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleman_ posted:

Or a robot.

I believe we're splitting hairs between androids, cyborgs, and nano machine clones here.

Actually, has there been a robot in One Piece? I think everything has been cyborgs and shades of Mecha so far.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gyges posted:

I believe we're splitting hairs between androids, cyborgs, and nano machine clones here.

Actually, has there been a robot in One Piece? I think everything has been cyborgs and shades of Mecha so far.

theres the ones enel is hanging out with on the moon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

It's all coming together

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Manatee Cannon posted:

the father-daughter pair is so ubiquitous in one piece that I didn't even consider other options at first tbh

in about 10 chapters she’s gonna be crying to luffy asking him to save her long lost kingdom of punkania

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

skipmyseashells posted:

in about 10 chapters she’s gonna be crying to luffy asking him to save her long lost kingdom of punkania

Talk about a punk hazard

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Panic Restaurant posted:

Holy poo poo

Also Vegapunk is trans, her island’s even shaped like a giant cracked egg

Pardon my ignorance, but are cracked eggs a symbol of transgender identity? :confused:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
only something like vegapunk reveal is powerful enough to pull discussion away from new hot marine babe

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but are cracked eggs a symbol of transgender identity? :confused:
egg is slang for someone who doesn’t know/admit they’re trans yet

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Countblanc posted:

only something like vegapunk reveal is powerful enough to pull discussion away from new hot marine babe

three this chapter by my count, no?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Fecha posted:

egg is slang for someone who doesn’t know/admit they’re trans yet

Thanks for the clarification.

For some reason, I've got it in my head that Vegapunk will turn out to be like that House Telvanni wizard in Morrowind who cloned himself as several female daughters he keeps as concubines.

E:

Scholtz posted:

If anyone wants to pore over these for details, here are all of the pages of Franky in eating crabs in Maryland at Dr. Vegapunk's lab in Baldimore

I only glanced at them while grabbing these but of note is Taroimo, the robot dog, also has a number: 28.

Another fun fact: Taroimo and I share a birthday. :kiddo:

e: Oh there's also this cover story of Franky being chased by a bunch of numbered cyborgs

It's blowing my mind that we are finally getting pay-off to events set up around 500 chapters ago (even longer if you figure in Thriller Bark).

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 23, 2022

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Endorph posted:

True, though those may be automatons instead of robots.

Oda strikes me as the kind of guy who is very particular about definitional differences in self moving mechanical beings/objects.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's gonna be a mona lisa from FGO type deal

Kild fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 23, 2022

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Guy A. Person posted:

three this chapter by my count, no?

This was a pretty thirsty chapter overall, especially in regards to new characters (and even with little Nami/Robin). We got female Persona 5 Joker with the spiked collar, sexy unnamed marine girl with legs, sexy marine girl who is Koby's friend, Bonney fanservice, and sexy marine Vegapunk.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
this is still one of the greatest pages in all of one piece

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I hope the motivation of Vegapunk, like Green Bull, is that they're just an rear end in a top hat. That was the best reveal. No twisted justification or childhood trauma. Nope, just a dick. Also I'll go out on a limb and say that either Vegapunk likes being in the body of attractive women, or Oda will retcon the old man thing because he just wanted to draw yet another attractive woman.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I just realized

Based on what we've seen in Punk Hazard and Levely(Reverie? I can't remember) Egghead is just gonna be human right violation: the island, isn't it?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Aurubin posted:

I hope the motivation of Vegapunk, like Green Bull, is that they're just an rear end in a top hat. That was the best reveal. No twisted justification or childhood trauma. Nope, just a dick. Also I'll go out on a limb and say that either Vegapunk likes being in the body of attractive women, or Oda will retcon the old man thing because he just wanted to draw yet another attractive woman.

my guess is hes honestly just completely amoral. doesnt think about the consequences of what he does. at all.

it would be pretty funny if the mediocrity comment means that hes actually from a time with futuristic technology and hes just some random loving guy but compared to now hes a literal ultragenius.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DeadBonesBrook posted:

This was a pretty thirsty chapter overall, especially in regards to new characters (and even with little Nami/Robin). We got female Persona 5 Joker with the spiked collar, sexy unnamed marine girl with legs, sexy marine girl who is Koby's friend, Bonney fanservice, and sexy marine Vegapunk.

Oh drat i was counting vegapunk as the third marine, gotta reread the chap now!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

anime was right posted:

my guess is hes honestly just completely amoral. doesnt think about the consequences of what he does. at all.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Doctor Syrup posted:

I don't know how but I recognized that guy: He appears in Bege's cover story attacking Bege's crew at some point while they're looking for Chiffon/Lola in Dressrosa

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i would seriously be bummed if it turned out the reason vegapunk is sexy is because he's an old pervert. daughter theory is my favorite atm.