Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

Thanks AliExpress. Thaliexpress

https://i.imgur.com/CZ5vOPP.mp4

art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Killingyouguy! posted:

I shun Bluetooth for reasons of its fuckin stupid

Lol it’s fine. Stop being seventy one

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Does anyone know a good, as in reliable and will not burn the house down, brand of USB rechargable (preferably type C USB) AA batteries? I got a batch of these, but the labels peeled on a couple on first charge due to heating up so much, and one of them also lost the "nub" of the positive terminal (it fell off).

I know, I know, Ali batteries, but I can't find USB rechargable AA batteries anywhere locally. Even at a specialty battery shop the guy wondered if such a thing exists.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I've not seen that style of battery in a very long time and I've never heard of any of them being anywhere close to good.

It's worth it to get a decent charger and some quality rechargeable batteries imo.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Yeah I've found that even Energiser Ni-MH batteries can be poo poo
I have mostly wound up (via survivorship) a collection of IKEA, Amazon Basics, and Eneloops.

Getting a decent charger that can independently charge single cells at the same time is definitely the way to go - I kinda wish I had spent a bit more and got one that was a bit less cryptic in its display tho. (Nitecore i4)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The more expensive Ikea Ladda batteries are, as far as I can tell, the exact same batteries as Eneloops. I'd also suggest just getting those, with Aliexpress not only are you getting mystery cells that are full of sawdust, they're also physically much smaller due to the USB connector and circuitry taking up all the space.

I did get a USB 18650 for a flashlight and it works fine enough at the cost of much smaller capacity.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Does anyone know a good, as in reliable and will not burn the house down, brand of USB rechargable (preferably type C USB) AA batteries? I got a batch of these, but the labels peeled on a couple on first charge due to heating up so much, and one of them also lost the "nub" of the positive terminal (it fell off).

I know, I know, Ali batteries, but I can't find USB rechargable AA batteries anywhere locally. Even at a specialty battery shop the guy wondered if such a thing exists.

Idk if they're on aliexpress, I got mine on Amazon, but EBL brand rechargeables haven't disappointed me yet, you need to also get their little charging station instead of plugging the individual batteries in directly, but the charging station is powered by USB and fits AA and AAA in any combination

And the batteries are rainbow coloured :3

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I got EBL rechargeable packs for my Arlo cameras and they work great long life good stuff

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress a 10' pole, they dont make sticks long enough for me to touch batteries that came from ali with. I got a Duracell set from Costco and also a bunch of amazon basics, which I charge in both the Duracell charger as well as a really old Rayovac thing from 15 years ago that still works but I lost the original batteries for.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

norp posted:

Getting a decent charger that can independently charge single cells at the same time is definitely the way to go - I kinda wish I had spent a bit more and got one that was a bit less cryptic in its display tho. (Nitecore i4)

I've got a Nightcore USM4 that I'm very happy with. At some point I'll open it up and swap it to use a USB C connection instead of Micro USB. It's been great though.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

mobby_6kl posted:

The more expensive Ikea Ladda batteries are, as far as I can tell, the exact same batteries as Eneloops. I'd also suggest just getting those, with Aliexpress not only are you getting mystery cells that are full of sawdust, they're also physically much smaller due to the USB connector and circuitry taking up all the space.

I did get a USB 18650 for a flashlight and it works fine enough at the cost of much smaller capacity.

From memory the ladda range came out shortly after eneloop developed the super low self discharge cells and that was always a dead giveaway as a feature on packaging that you were buying eneloops with different branding.

Not sure if that still holds true

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

That is the weirdest battery I have ever seen, I can't even imagine how it would be hooked up inside to work (also doubting the 2600 capacity).I'm going to make a wild unfounded assumption that the reason you can't find them locally is because they are far too dangerous for your country to permit them to be sold.
I'll also vouch that IKEA batteries are good stuff, they also sell a really slim usb powered battery charger called Vinninge that I take for travel, might be a good option.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Strong Convections posted:

That is the weirdest battery I have ever seen, I can't even imagine how it would be hooked up inside to work (also doubting the 2600 capacity).

I can think of many ways it could be hooked up internally. They're all terrible and involve wires that really aren't fit for purpose. They also leave no room for proper protection. I can see fires happening when someone tries to charge and use them simultaneously.

Unless the manufacturer has discovered some new magical battery chemistry then no, it's not 2600mAH.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Yes, a more literal way to say what I meant was "I'm horrified/terrified to imagine how such a battery is hooked up inside."

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Strong Convections posted:

That is the weirdest battery I have ever seen, I can't even imagine how it would be hooked up inside to work (also doubting the 2600 capacity).I'm going to make a wild unfounded assumption that the reason you can't find them locally is because they are far too dangerous for your country to permit them to be sold.
I'll also vouch that IKEA batteries are good stuff, they also sell a really slim usb powered battery charger called Vinninge that I take for travel, might be a good option.

I can’t find the video for the AA version, but I did find Big Clive having a go at the PP3/9V version of the same thing here:

https://youtu.be/dR_RusM99no

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I started on Trek comm badges that all looked great in the ad but terrible in the reviews, then to star trek hoodies and into gimmick hoodies (those “3D print” ones are crap) and finally found the good stuff.

Very sad frog hoodie

This one is kind of cool too, shark with a beak?

Some cheap cosplay items, I think it’s the attitude that makes it work (I can’t even remember if this was for the phaser or jacket but it’s just great)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I won't know how complete or high quality that knockoff-LEGO Hogwarts set is until after Xmas when we'll put it together, but it sure did get here with almost unbelievable speed! I ordered it on 9/21 and it was delivered -- from Hong Kong! -- on 9/27!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Ordered a $2 thimble to go in my sewing box, because I could have used one while stitching denim the other day. And I got this message from the seller, the link goes to an AU$0.80 “Shipping Fee” item. Told them to cancel it if they want to but there’s already a tracking number on it so who knows.

Ali seller posted:

The message comes from order number 8155629637882787

Dear customers:
I'm really sorry to disturb you. Because the international logistics costs are generally rising recently, this is something we cannot control. I regret to tell you this. At present, we need you to pay $0.5 again. Please reply as soon as you see the message. We, otherwise we cannot process your order.
If you wish, please pay for this link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001906904014.html
If not could you please kindly cancel the order with the reason of " the Another Reason" ?
We will accept it soon and the money will be put into your account by Aliexpress if you do this.We will give you a discount for the next deal, is that ok?
We are looking forward to your early reply.Have a nice day!
Best regards.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
couple ali packages came in this week

$12 Aliexpress kill-a-watt - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255799968709291.htm

here it is with a standing fan plugged in. seems like it works correctly. i don't really have a way to test how accurate it is. the 729 at the top is because i ran it with the fan plugged in it for 7 hrs 29 min yesterday to see the kWh usage.

Bought two of these cute little digital thermometers. plan to have one inside and one outside. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803917081380.html
little happy baby picture is apparently a "comfort" indicator. not sure what the parameters are for determining if it's a comfortable temp and humidity. uses a single cr2032 battery

$16 CO2 detector - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803560488389.html
i was pleasantly surprised when i turned it on. bright clear screen and usb-c for charging. it seemingly works - numbers go up when you blow on it :shrug: again don't really have a good way to test its accuracy. open to suggestions though

would be cool to have a co2 detector that can log its measurements so i could actually collect the data. the air quality meters that I've seen with those capabilities are $$$.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Poopelyse posted:

would be cool to have a co2 detector that can log its measurements so i could actually collect the data. the air quality meters that I've seen with those capabilities are $$$.

point a webcam at it, scrape with OCR, walla

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Poopelyse posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000037083952.html

Though you'd have to DIY the solution with an ESP32 or Rasperry or something.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

raspberry pi based co2 monitors seem to be a fairly popular project and you could definitely do logging that way. could even use a pi zero and run it off battery for portability.

idk how accurate the cheap sensor modules are but it's probably the same sensor thats in that thing anyway

of course if you don't already have a raspberry pi then lol nevermind

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

raspberry pi based co2 monitors seem to be a fairly popular project and you could definitely do logging that way. could even use a pi zero and run it off battery for portability.

idk how accurate the cheap sensor modules are but it's probably the same sensor thats in that thing anyway

of course if you don't already have a raspberry pi then lol nevermind

Do not put your life into the hands of a raspberry pi and some non-certified co2 detector.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

champagne posting posted:

Do not put your life into the hands of a raspberry pi and some non-certified co2 detector.

I don't think anyone is doing that.

A pi-based CO detector, I'd have some reservations, but isn't CO2 basically just a comfort thing

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That co2 detector looks cool for $16, I have a brand name one that saved my life one time, would be nice to have one of these if they were accurate

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.airgradient.com/open-airgradient/instructions/ is honestly pretty good even if you sourced all the components from aliexpress, i made five of them with PCBs from jlcpcb.com

PM2 is the most interesting sensor since you can tell whenever the neighbours are stinking up the air by burning firewood

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

champagne posting posted:

right

im assuming we are talking more just doing this for fun and curiosity. if you need something like this for actual safety then you probably shouldn't be asking the "lets all order mini chainsaws" thread anyway

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

It's pretty amazing how accurate that cheap poo poo from Aliexpress is. I bought a weather sensor (temp, humidity, barometer) from AliExpress for about $4 (including shipping) if I remember. It was just as accurate as the $15 BME280 I bought from Adafruit. I have no idea what I did with it though; probably in a project box in a stack of unifinished projects.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 29, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

right

im assuming we are talking more just doing this for fun and curiosity. if you need something like this for actual safety then you probably shouldn't be asking the "lets all order mini chainsaws" thread anyway

wait poo poo I thought this was the stupid things your work does thread where we literally just had a discussion of a goon whose employer did not have a co2 detector and had leaky co2 canisters in a confined space

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for the cool suggestions. i do have a raspberry pi sitting around and some arduino boards. maybe I'll order some more sensors off ali and put something together. but yeah, this is just a curiosity about air quality in my house.

I'll definitely check out that airgradient thingy and the PM2 sensor sounds cool.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Unperson_47 posted:

It's pretty amazing how accurate that cheap poo poo from Aliexpress is. I bought a weather sensor (temp, humidity, barometer) from AliExpress for about $4 (including shipping) if I remember. It was just as accurate as the $15 BME280 I bought from Adafruit. I have no idea what I did with it though; probably in a project box in a stack of unifinished projects.

Are you sure it wasn't also a BME280 sensor from Ali, just cheaper? I had a bunch DHT-something sensors which are even cheaper at like $1 but were pretty poo poo, and the BME works perfectly.

r u ready to WALK posted:

https://www.airgradient.com/open-airgradient/instructions/ is honestly pretty good even if you sourced all the components from aliexpress, i made five of them with PCBs from jlcpcb.com

PM2 is the most interesting sensor since you can tell whenever the neighbours are stinking up the air by burning firewood

Oh that's cool! Good to have a reference to some tested sensors because sometime you don't really know what you're getting because there are no datasheets or if there are, they're highly questionable.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

mobby_6kl posted:

Are you sure it wasn't also a BME280 sensor from Ali, just cheaper? I had a bunch DHT-something sensors which are even cheaper at like $1 but were pretty poo poo, and the BME works perfectly.

Oh that's cool! Good to have a reference to some tested sensors because sometime you don't really know what you're getting because there are no datasheets or if there are, they're highly questionable.

Wait are we talking CO2 (carbon dioxide) or CO (carbon monoxide)? Cause I have a CO monitor but I have never heard of CO2 monitors being required safety equipment.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Are you sure it wasn't also a BME280 sensor from Ali, just cheaper? I had a bunch DHT-something sensors which are even cheaper at like $1 but were pretty poo poo, and the BME works perfectly.\

You're probably right about them being actual BME boards. They were stamped as BME280s on the PCB and worked with the Python BME280 libraries from Adafruit.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I was tired of putting batteries in thermometers, so I bought an analog thermo-hygrometer off Ali. Either my bedroom has an extremely stable microclimate or the thing doesn't work very well. :(

I'd been eyeing that little digital one; can it display Fahrenheit?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Poopelyse posted:

These don’t measure carbon dioxide. They measure volatile organic compounds which can kind of sort of be a proxy for human exhalations but not a good one.

If you give it a whiff of alcohol, it will go crazy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Poopelyse posted:

Bought two of these cute little digital thermometers. plan to have one inside and one outside. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803917081380.html
little happy baby picture is apparently a "comfort" indicator. not sure what the parameters are for determining if it's a comfortable temp and humidity. uses a single cr2032 battery

I don't trust that smiling baby. What kind of lunatic thinks 27.5 is comfortable?

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Ordered and received this stick-on / suction touch screen game controller real quick. I am mightily impressed after messing around with it for a few hours. Probably going to order another just to have a backup.

There’s a lot of different styles for touchscreen controllers like this and I don’t know how it compares to any others but in judging it for what it does: it stays where it’s put, it self centers, it works really well for games with d-pad style controls. And it comes in a little plastic memory card style case for when you’re not using it.

The suction works surprisingly well, I can’t accidentally move it while using it but can pick it up off the screen really easily.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

wheatpuppy posted:

Wait are we talking CO2 (carbon dioxide) or CO (carbon monoxide)? Cause I have a CO monitor but I have never heard of CO2 monitors being required safety equipment.

Pure CO2 can displace breathable air so they are put in kegrooms etc where you have large tanks of the stuff that could leak and cause problems for life.

You are definitely gonna know that something is wrong pretty fast in a high CO2 environment (unlike CO or N2)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

norp posted:

Pure CO2 can displace breathable air so they are put in kegrooms etc where you have large tanks of the stuff that could leak and cause problems for life.

You are definitely gonna know that something is wrong pretty fast in a high CO2 environment (unlike CO or N2)

You might not notice fast enough to not die in a confined space, hence the detectors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Platystemon posted:

Neodymium glass, cheap and dirty way to block light from low pressure sodium lamps of the sort commonly used for street lamps prior to the LED revolution.

Filing this deep inside the “super interesting information I will never have an opportunity to use”. Thanks.