Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He seemed different but I assumed at first that was just because he was laying low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I was hearing shinji instead of yuta the whole film and it'll be weird hearing him again as a grizzled veteran sorcerer in later cours.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Patware posted:

i mean kappa took one step and definitely almost died and i think the samurai just let his whole arm come off to get the sword back to maki, not really superficial

I was thinking more in terms of the bleeding on their heads implying that it was affecting their whole bodies.

I get what it's going for ("he moved his arm, so his arm came off!"), but if you're going to be that specific in explaining a power, it should operate as actually described. JJK has basically been attempting almost-HxH level "complex and specific power descriptions" recently, which is generally great, but it makes it more noticeable when things don't exactly work as (extensively and painstakingly) described.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I was thinking more in terms of the bleeding on their heads implying that it was affecting their whole bodies.

I get what it's going for ("he moved his arm, so his arm came off!"), but if you're going to be that specific in explaining a power, it should operate as actually described. JJK has basically been attempting almost-HxH level "complex and specific power descriptions" recently, which is generally great, but it makes it more noticeable when things don't exactly work as (extensively and painstakingly) described.

I believe this issue came up before with Hakari's colleague's power based around the southern cross. Not so much the ability not working as intended but Gege admitting that they wanted to have a complex ability and fudged either the execution or the explanation. Ironically I think he cited Jojo as an inspiration for such a power and stands not operating exactly as explained is something Araki is known for.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brought To You By posted:

I believe this issue came up before with Hakari's colleague's power based around the southern cross. Not so much the ability not working as intended but Gege admitting that they wanted to have a complex ability and fudged either the execution or the explanation. Ironically I think he cited Jojo as an inspiration for such a power and stands not operating exactly as explained is something Araki is known for.

How did he fudge the explanation for it? From what I remember it was needlessly complicated but it make sense

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

How did he fudge the explanation for it? From what I remember it was needlessly complicated but it make sense
I found the Translation and I was mistaken a bit on what he said.

quote:

>Q (editor): There are many unique cursed techniques in Jujutsu Kaisen. The interesting aspect of the ability itself and the tactics between the fighters during the battle are very attractive. Even among so many abilities appeared in battle type manga published in Jump, I can feel the differentiation. Please tell us what you take good care to make the battle interesting and what inspires you regarding the abilities.

>A (Gege): Usually, the style and the complexity of abilities of a battle manga are fixed. On the contrary, these changes from time to time in JJK. The most recent one is Kirara's Cursed Technique (CT). I tried to make something similar to the complexity of the ability of Stands appear in JoJo Bizarre Adventure part 6 (Stone Ocean) or later, but I relatively failed. The cause of my failure is I forced myself to conduct a differentiation and to make something unique. I feel that in my case, it's better to use a worn-out cliche for the ability, make it simple, and on top of that, try to think of my way to approach. Then do many trials and errors. I believe Todo, Choso and Mahito's CT are easy to understand.
So yes, it would seem that Kirara's power having a somewhat over complicated concept for a simple ability that is more in line with Gojo's infinity but with more strings attached is something he views as a shortcoming. While he provides ways that simpler abilities were expanded in practice through trial and error like Todo having a fakeout by clapping but not choosing to teleport.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Todo's CT is probably the best application of an ability I've seen in a manga. Taking advantage of not just how his CT works, but taking advantage of how CTs work in general to lie about his without it coming off forced writing wise.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Him clapping and not teleporting is such a clutch more and just makes him such a nightmare to deal with. What while fight does a great job of showing how absurdly powerful a simple ability can be. Though of course it massively increases in power with a co-op partner who’s in sync with you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you cannot defeat him, his iq is too high

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The only reason he hasn’t shown back up is he’s having a new mental CPU installed

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Well. That certainly does explain why Toji was so dangerous.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

you cannot defeat him, his iq is too high

People talk about Chainsaw Man vs. Jujutsu Kaisen fights, but the real main attraction would be a shogi match between Power and Todo showing off their ultra-genius IQs.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Megumi and Aki sharing a brief glance of sympathy that conveys a universe of understanding

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

People talk about Chainsaw Man vs. Jujutsu Kaisen fights, but the real main attraction would be a shogi match between Power and Todo showing off their ultra-genius IQs.

I mean Todo is actually smart, unlike Power.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I just want to see Todo ask various people in CSM what their favorite kind of women are.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

I just want to see Todo ask various people in CSM what their favorite kind of women are.

Worrisome trivia there:

Makima is tall (173 cm), with a fantastic rear end.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I mean Todo is actually smart, unlike Power.

Actually she has an IQ of 10000 so I bet you feel really dumb right now for being wrong

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Actually she has an IQ of 10000 so I bet you feel really dumb right now for being wrong

Yes, I was told Power can murder people with her intellect. :colbert:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This arc was a mixed bag for me but thankfully it was pretty short. I loved all the Maki specific stuff and of course I loved Sumo and Sword. I appreciated that Maki still had a ways to go before she was actually on Toji's level. It wasn't just that Toji had a perfect heavenly restriction, the man was permanently on demon time too. His incredible presence that Naoya felt as a kid came from that rather than him just being physically strong.

Maki's parts worked really well here with her learning where she was lacking and I really liked her scene with Mai. All the Naoya stuff was just lame. I didn't feel any payoff or catharsis from that because it had already been done better the first time around. Naoya seeing Maki as even closer Toji didn't really feel important compared to his first loss.

I'd have liked the arc more if it had featured an unknown special grade curse. The Naoya stuff just diluted and distracted from the interesting stuff. The part where there's a clear explanation of how Maki's restriction works with DE felt really utilitarian. That would have been fine with a generic special grade but with Naoya it felt like "you really brought him back so you can explain some world mechanics to me?". Which is uncharitable I suppose but his return had been annoying me regardless.

Excited to find out where we go next

Patware posted:

not sad to see projection sorcery probably gone forever at least until kenjaku does it one time as a fun kill prank

maybe seeing it animated will make it seem cool

This was one of my first thoughts too lol. It's not explained well or shown clearly enough for me to enjoy any fights with it as a focus. I feel like I have a handle on it every time I read a chapter with it. I carefully read and reread the explanation and what happens in each fight. Then the next time it comes up the explanation seems just a little different or the effect happens little inconsistently with what I expected. Thank you Maki for wiping out the Zen'in and this dumb rear end power.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Megumi and Aki sharing a brief glance of sympathy that conveys a universe of understanding

JJK protagonist is actually a pretty normal and reasonable guy IMO and not really Denji-tier of "wacky"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ytlaya posted:

JJK protagonist is actually a pretty normal and reasonable guy IMO and not really Denji-tier of "wacky"

they would definitely still be bffs though

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It being mandatory to be insane to some degree to be a sorcerer in JJK basically would allow Denji and Power to fit in perfectly.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4300/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-199

Speed scans!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yay my favorite characters are all back AND the plot feels like it’s back

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Lol Itadori swirling around a wineglass and staring out of the window like a Yakuza boss rocks. I really enjoyed the fights and everything but yeah it's great for things to kickstart up again. Fantastic chapter.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

God drat it Megumi you jinxed it :mad:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No, im not greedy, i just want you to kill the most powerful* sorceror ever.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
$5 says Sukuna’s pulling a fast one on Itadori for shits and giggles

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rigged Death Trap posted:

No, im not greedy, i just want you to kill the most powerful* sorceror ever.

Also while I don't know it yet, the one I want you to kill is the one who was wearing the bathrobe in this room.

CharlestonJew posted:

$5 says Sukuna’s pulling a fast one on Itadori for shits and giggles

Doubt it, the Angel is quite dangerous to him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel that unless Angel is just completely irrational there's a perfectly salient talking point you could use to make her still help while revealing Yuji is Sukuna's vessel- in that if you really, really want Sukuna dead it requires Yuji ingesting all of his fingers which he has not done yet. You kill Yuji now and Sukuna still isn't gone. Yuji was down with dying after getting all of them anyway so just propose an alliance for now on the condition that Yuji do the thing he always said he was going to do from the start of the series which is consume all of Sukuna and then die to get rid of him for good.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Fabricated posted:

I feel that unless Angel is just completely irrational there's a perfectly salient talking point you could use to make her still help while revealing Yuji is Sukuna's vessel- in that if you really, really want Sukuna dead it requires Yuji ingesting all of his fingers which he has not done yet. You kill Yuji now and Sukuna still isn't gone. Yuji was down with dying after getting all of them anyway so just propose an alliance for now on the condition that Yuji do the thing he always said he was going to do from the start of the series which is consume all of Sukuna and then die to get rid of him for good.

This seems like a pretty likely path or something close to it. Unfortunately I also see that the moment Yuji is comfortable with Angel taking his life is when Sukuna is going to cash in on his pact with Yuji and they are going to lose Angel before they can undo the prison seal.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
They'd have an easier time killing Sukuna if they had the strongest sorcerer of this era on their side

Interesting chapter, so all of the incarnated players are in a similar situation as Yuji except their hosts have been suppressed either purposefully or unconsciously. What the hell did Kenjaku do to make Yuji a host capable of suppressing the King of Curses? It's gotta have something to do with the body since out of the 3 (body, soul, mind/brain wherever cursed techniques come from), Gege really emphasized how durable Yuji is. I mean the guy was tanking blows without cursed energy reinforcement from a rank-1 equivalent sorcerer.

Speaking of rank 1s, I'm wondering what Gege is planning to do with the lawyer dude. He ran off to do his own thing - I feel Megumi would get along with him or at least be less stressed compared to the three idiots he's with now lol

Yuji's specialty being the body also make sense - Yuji = body, Megumi = cursed technique, Nobora = the soul (shes comin back)

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Megumi: "Oh no, the idiots have multiplied"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I lol'd at the mouth appearing on the Angel girl and Itadori just being like "ah, it's just like what happens to me!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
drat killing all incarnations means katana man too

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4305/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-200

lmao

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

amazing

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Of loving course big energy wants to turn humans into batteries and now, you know. Cursed spirits themselves. That would be far too humane.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lmao i love it