Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

At this point I'm not even sure that G&G is going to be a fightmanga - it seems possible it's more about Gluna seeing the world and experiencing new things and places, with some fighting thrown in. Not sure how well it's exactly doing at that - we haven't really gotten any detailed descriptions about the places or societies she's visiting like would be done in something like One Piece or Kino's Journey.

It's definitely clumsy so far, but I'm enjoying it for the charming style and characters.

Fight manga is, as Bakuman teaches us, the ground state for Shonen Jump. If a manga doesn't put conscious effort into being something else, it winds up a fight manga.

GnG has a big fight in chapter 1, a big fight in chapter 2, and a montage of fights in chapter 3. It hasn't been very good at being a fight manga, but it's definitely been going in a fight manga direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Super Smartphone continues to do poorly in the rankings, unfortunately. Do people really think PPPPPP is better than this?

tbh I thought the name sounded so dumb and lame that I just never even tried it

pppppp tho, I read the first chapter and figured might as well stick with it until it gets cancelled and then it just never was. it's dumb but it's at least engaging enough that I haven't forgotten to check in with it each week, which is normally how I end up dropping things

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbh I thought the name sounded so dumb and lame that I just never even tried it

pppppp tho, I read the first chapter and figured might as well stick with it until it gets cancelled and then it just never was. it's dumb but it's at least engaging enough that I haven't forgotten to check in with it each week, which is normally how I end up dropping things

By "people" I meant the people who fill out the surveys that affect the rankings (i.e., Japanese teenagers, mostly). I don't think the "dumb and lame" name is the problem because their idea of what's a "dumb and lame" name probably doesn't correlate well with yours (as a fluent English-speaker who, judging by your regdate, is probably not a teenager). Besides, according to my idea of what's a bad name, PPPPPP isn't a great choice. I'm not a fan of the recent fashion for repetitive names.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Sorta funny we get introduced to all these heads of rakugo and then BAM! Timeskip to graduation and zenza training. It's interesting because most timeskips are like, years. Naruto was like 3 years, One Piece was 2 years, and Fairy Tail was like, what, a decade or some poo poo? Though Fairy Tail's timeskip is different in that the main cast didn't age or power up at all and had to do an impromptu training session in between. I guess Bleach had a short timeskip after Aizen. When I read the chapter I was a bit surprised, because I sort of expected a breather where we learn about Akane's school life, but the author really pulled the rug from under me by showing that the news article was less about it's impact on Akane's personal life but rather the political machinations and whatnot in the rakugo world*.

It's a neat chapter because until now, we've only seen Issho Arakawa as the unparalleled rakugoka who's feared by all, but by introducing a bunch of people who are similar in status to him, we get to see that he's actually not very popular and that his rising fame and tendency to force things through are causing waves in the rakugo world and its practitioners.

*In essence, the timeskip sort of made me think about Shinta's performance in Chapter 1, where he discarded what most considered the integral aspect of his act to go all-in on the characters - in a similar vein, it feels like Akane-banashi is choosing to discard the small, side stuff in favor of going all-in on Akane and her path to becoming a rakugoka to prove Issho wrong. So while I do think it's a bit of a shame to lose those aspects, I'm still incredibly invested in seeing where the story goes, because clearly the mangaka has a vision.

Also nice to see Karashi back, guess he started actually getting proper training.

Elusive Samurai: Man's fuckin' using corpses and literal human shields. Dude rules.

G&G: Cute new addition to the cast, wonder if she'll stick around.

Mashle: Man after they hyped up the second son so much as being even more dangerous than the first son, he's a fuckin' wet fart who gets shitstomped by one dude as opposed to a duo, and the fucker goes down in just 2 chapters to Crocodile Harry Potter. His power doesn't really feel as impressive as his siblings', either. Just a meh fight all around and I don't loving care about a flashback dude who appears for all of like 5 pages.

Roboco and Me: It's a decent chapter but the romantic chapters just feel too derivative, especially since the last one was also about stargazing or looking at the night sky or some poo poo, if I recall.

Sakamoto Days: Holy poo poo it's the psychotic filmmaker versus the aunty from hell, real showdown of history stuff happening. Also drat, these instructors are just getting handed Ls after Ls.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Tokyo Demon Bride Story: Dropping this. Others here already mentioned all the things I found bad about it.

Aliens Area: I can respect it trying to do a longstanding arc right now, but Aliens Area always felt like something that's due for the chopping block soon. The MC is also rather tertiary to the thing because his mentor's the one who keeps driving the plot forward.

Ginka & Glüna: After three chapters, I think the series is fun but it's got a flaw where it sets up an issue to resolve, but it just can't quite stick the landing; It breezes through the resolution so fast that the character and story beats it has set up doesn't have as much of an emotional impact. Glüna wanting to be back-up to Beretta (who wants to finish a quest herself so she can gain confidence) was fine. Ginka and Glüna then taking on a bunch of quests and doing all the work while making Beretta feel even more useless was bad. It takes away her agency, and telling her that she can improve bit by bit and just keep doing the best she can feels sort of condescending, especially coming from two super wizards.

Witch Watch: Morihito mentioning that Nico needs surveillance but not why she needs watching feels like even more proof that the author forgot what Witch Watch's plot was supposed to be.

MHA: Deku swinging around using the jets of Star's troops reminded me of that scene in Andrew Garfiel'd Spider-Man film where a bunch of construction workers heroically moved their cranes on the rooftops around so he can have something to swing around in. It's just hilariously goofy lmao.

PPPPP: While I wasn't a fan of the 'Lucky was actually a genius as a baby but that talent got killed' twist, this chapter does an okay job as a character study on having that heavy subject be dropped on someone all of a sudden. Sometimes, people with gifts are in circumstances where those gifts never get a chance to flourish is depressingly realistic.

High School Family: The brother vs sister student council election arc ended in the most heartwarming and hilarious way. Bringing in a famous vtuber to give you support is one hell of a power move. :allears:

Sakamoto Days: Kanaguri's dedication to making a movie, to the point of trying to be the teacher to terrified students, makes him so much fun. The next chapter's gonna be amazing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

By "people" I meant the people who fill out the surveys that affect the rankings (i.e., Japanese teenagers, mostly). I don't think the "dumb and lame" name is the problem because their idea of what's a "dumb and lame" name probably doesn't correlate well with yours (as a fluent English-speaker who, judging by your regdate, is probably not a teenager). Besides, according to my idea of what's a bad name, PPPPPP isn't a great choice. I'm not a fan of the recent fashion for repetitive names.

I kind of wish Jump would transition to a digital survey for its series (and hopefully make it world wide.) I also think it would be easier than checking 1000 of the surveys they get and tossing the rest. Cause once the results are finished it could be easily checked.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

I would say that Super Smartphone is a lot more humane than what you seem to be imagining. It shows that you can do a "battle manga of the minds" without going overboard with cynicism.

Platinum End also showed you can have a battle manga of the minds where the protagonist team's hopes overcame the cynicism brought about by the conflict. Too bad the ending loving sucked. :argh:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

amigolupus posted:

Platinum End also showed you can have a battle manga of the minds where the protagonist team's hopes overcame the cynicism brought about by the conflict. Too bad the ending loving sucked. :argh:

Ehh was not much of a fan of Platinum End even before the ending.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I kind of wish Jump would transition to a digital survey for its series (and hopefully make it world wide.) I also think it would be easier than checking 1000 of the surveys they get and tossing the rest. Cause once the results are finished it could be easily checked.

Problem is, they don't get any money from most of the people filling out digital surveys, and they're even easier to rig.

Someone filling out a Jump survey had to spend at least 2 bucks for the privilege. That's cash involved in voting, and a disincentive to voting for titles you don't like, even for humor value. Meanwhile, digital voting gave us Boaty McBoatface.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They could easily account for that by emailing the survey to digital subscribers or putting it in the app behind the paywall. They could also build analytics into the app and skip the survey entirely, but that would cost a lot more money up front.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The new Roboco anime is in a midnight time slot? Is that right? I know it's a new 5 minute series and streaming online is an option these days, but is that a typical time slot for a Shonen Jump title?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mashle: What the hell is the author doing? To be fair, I did laugh at the background montage of Gaara Potter. If only because it seems like the dude still doesn't give a poo poo. I don't know what the take away was supposed to be, but that was what I got from that flashback.
Anyway these fights do nothing but:
1: Make the sons seem like chumps by making them be defeated by the divine visionaries this easily.
2: Makes the previous divine visionaries seem like even bigger chumps for having been defeated that easily in the first attack.
At least it all looks pretty awesome.

But maybe there's a twist that will make it seem like it was all for nothing as all the sons except the one that was drained from his demon heart revives again only for Mash to chump them properly....who is Mash again?

Sakamoto: :ohdear: I love that the movie guy figures this would work for a Japanese horror movie.

Undead Unluck: I love this foregone conclusion battle. Everyone (except Andy) is going to die! :black101:

Elusive: Trees and swords don't work, but corpses do work! :woop:

Super phone: Zenichiro needed this exposition. The story is progressing just fine. :)

Witch Watch:

amigolupus posted:

Witch Watch: Morihito mentioning that Nico needs surveillance but not why she needs watching feels like even more proof that the author forgot what Witch Watch's plot was supposed to be.
I've kinda fallen off of Witch Watch for this reason. It's fun, but it feels like aimless fun while not being a great gag manga? And sometimes it's just too wordy for me. Like the author is doing a victory lap for something he won in his mind.

chiasaur11 posted:

Meanwhile, digital voting gave us Boaty McBoatface.
Don't threaten me with a good time! :argh:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

My initial thought is that people always try to game digital surveys, though. Making people fill out and send in a physical survey card keeps the bots from taking over Jump.

My second thought is that there wouldn’t be a problem if the digital survey was tied to the Jump app and/or its Japanese counterpart, so you couldn’t vote twice unless you were actually paying for two subscriptions. It might even get some readers who currently just read scanslations (or outright pirated official translations) to subscribe.

So yes, that actually seems like a good idea.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mashle is at its best when it’s essentially doing that bit from DBS where Vegeta gets clowned on by Arale from dr. slump, it hasn’t put in the work to actually function as a serious battle manga because all of these stock archetypal characters are too thin to carry a narrative, and only really function when Mash is there to gently caress up their scripting.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I just watched the third live action FMA movie that hit Netflix recently, it was alright but it was also about as rushed as you’d expect something that tries to cram everything from Gluttony’s belly to the end of the series into a 2 hour film would be

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Mashle is at its best when it’s essentially doing that bit from DBS where Vegeta gets clowned on by Arale from dr. slump, it hasn’t put in the work to actually function as a serious battle manga because all of these stock archetypal characters are too thin to carry a narrative, and only really function when Mash is there to gently caress up their scripting.

Pretty much. I get that this is gonna be the last hurrah for a lot of these characters before Goku gets from Snake Way to the battlefield and, presumably, puts an end to all this but its only by the grace of physics that the comic proper is not gonna die before he gets there.

Also. I'm not quite sure if most of these people, many of whom were prefectly happy to uphold the muggle edicts that made Mash's and his father's lives forfit to the state by din of biology, deserve last hurrahs.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 27, 2022

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I know Mashle's supposed to be a parody of Harry Potter, but it didn't need to copy the pointless nothingness of the 7th book's mid-part.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

amigolupus posted:

When was the last time there was anything plot-related in the manga? Last I can remember was back when they met Miharu the vampire kid and fought that water witch, but that was like 30 chapters ago

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mostly i'm still reading it because every once in a while there's a really great comedy chapter. the rest of the time it is sort of okay.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Marriagetoxin #21

Oh my God Julia Junior :kimchi:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Love the motivation of the wedding crasher. :allears:

Also Bug users continues being a literal saint.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Can’t stop laughing at how the bug user gets around.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
You could write this story so that all assassins are just hyper focused wizards and I wouldn't bat an eye.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
They are pretty much wizards, for all intents and purposes. Although, I guess that's not very notable, because it looks like that in the world of Marriagetoxin, everyone can just randomly have some bizarre power or skill.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Venuz Patrol posted:

i'll have to take your word for it that super smartphone is good, because there's no way i'm ever reading a manga with a "smart loner foils terrorist plot targeting school students" plot

where are you getting this description from because it's a pretty strong misrepresentation

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it happens in the third chapter

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
did you stop reading when he hits the one dude with the bat? because it really doesn't get as ridiculous as your description implies. beyond those few high school kids, he just calls the cops on them, he hides from the rest, it's not like we're going John Wick here

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah it's a brain fights manga not a punch fights manga.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New Ranger Reject

Chidori's definitely the coolest ranger so far.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

New Ranger Reject

Chidori's definitely the coolest ranger so far.

Gluttony Way is the most chuuni name for a grappling hook I think I've seen.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakamoto Days: noooooo

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Super Smartphone feels like it’s rushing to an ending

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I love when Elusive Samurai suddenly shifts its art like it did this chapter with the corpses.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Tokyo Demon Bride Story actually had a chapter that wasn't terrible? A fairly generic Shonen chapter, but I quite enjoyed how the fight ended.

Super Smartphone definitely feels like it's ramping up toward a conclusion suddenly, which is sad.

Still enjoying Ginka & Gluna, finally a chapter that didn't rush through. A bit generic, but the characters are fun!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Sakamoto Days: noooooo
It was all in the script, the mentor figure has to bite the dust so the student can fully come into their own.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RatHat posted:

Super Smartphone feels like it’s rushing to an ending

Yeah, introducing that the villain has a connection to Q's missing brother is definitely an endgame reveal. Same with revealing the phone's existence to the world.

Something I like about Elusive Samurai is how it tries not to shy away from the fact that they're all trying to kill each other so people are going to die. Although at this point it kind of needs to kill one of our heroes to kind of even things out.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Brought To You By posted:

It was all in the script, the mentor figure has to bite the dust so the student can fully come into their own.

God drat it I hate how cool this movie director is.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Super Smartphone is definitely speedrunning through its key plot points (and even skipping some of the connective tissue) but at least it seems it'll manage to tell the key points before the axe hits.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Kyte posted:

Super Smartphone is definitely speedrunning through its key plot points (and even skipping some of the connective tissue) but at least it seems it'll manage to tell the key points before the axe hits.

It's a bit disappointing, because I feel like it doesn't deserve to be so low in the rankings compared to some of the other stuff present at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I agree, but I also feel it's not a good fit for a weekly magazine that's primarily aimed to high school boys buying it from the shop after school.