Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
other than Jose Lothario, have any "ex-boxer" gimmicks worked? Not talking about boxers-turned-pro-wrestlers, specifically people who used that as their gimmick or as part of their work style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

other than Jose Lothario, have any "ex-boxer" gimmicks worked? Not talking about boxers-turned-pro-wrestlers, specifically people who used that as their gimmick or as part of their work style

Depends on what you mean by worked? because Marc Mero existed and was in a mid card program.

edit: Also Anthony Ogogoo worked well I thought, the booking just sucked, and then he had to get surgeried. Like I think theres an alternate universe where Anthony went over cody by punching him in the liver super hard and he goes on to have a decent mid card heel run of just one shotting nerds until Orange Cassidy or someone puts him down.

edit2: Oh you meant like main event level.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 25, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Paige was so good that Stephanie used her to jumpstart the Women's Revolution that only she could have ever done.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
well Lothario was a big star, I'm pretty sure "Marvelous" Marc Mero wasn't and that wasn't even his most famous gimmick

that said it's obviously subjective

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaz-L posted:

She isn't cleared to wrestle.

https://twitter.com/Saraya/status/1573417991408357377?s=20&t=K5UMy-2X9TeEnZSPhwXk-A

She says the dirt sheets are wrong about her not being cleared so...

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gaz-L posted:

She isn't cleared to wrestle. That's why she didn't even clothesline Britt and Hayter to get them out of the ring.

Which honestly rings alarm bells for me, because if I was Tony Khan, I'm not hiring someone on the HOPE they get cleared, I'm waiting until they have the green light before I sign them. Yeah, maybe I pay for the doctors to assess her, but I sure as gently caress don't go full steam ahead without knowing she can do a match.

I'm with you on this. I know she tweeted above not believing the dirtsheets (brother), but she already tried one comeback and it failed fast after she took a kick to the back. She's a big name and I loved her way back when (was even at the post-Mania Raw where she beat AJ which was loving wild), but especially after dealing with Danielson and Punk coming in and having injuries relatively quickly I'd be wary of bringing back another name who has already had to step away due to injury once already.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vandar posted:

https://twitter.com/Saraya/status/1573417991408357377?s=20&t=K5UMy-2X9TeEnZSPhwXk-A

She's also tweeted that Ronnie Radke isn't a piece of poo poo, not sure I trust her

Sure something when the following appears on his bio: "Radke was kicked out of Escape the Fate in 2008 after he was sentenced to two and a half years in prison for violating a probation sentence given to him for his involvement in the killing of an 18-year old."

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s a 50/50 shot between her neck giving out first or her terrible boyfriend doing something and the shitstorm brought about by her inevitable defending of him on twitter.

Tony Khan loves a gamble.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

bartok posted:

Is it true that the only reason WCW hired Mikey Whipwreck is because he had a win over Steve Austin in ECW?

He didn't have a tv-ready look but he was over with ecw fans due to being booked well and having enough talent to come off as more than just a gimmick.

Wcw had deep pockets and talent shuffles always left companies with spots to fill. I don't think there's any secret motive, wcw loved signing ecw guys without any real understanding of what made them successful there and why it wouldn't work on a bigger stage (sandman, public enemy).

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Vandar posted:

Unless I missed a SCOOP, all of the "Paige isn't cleared" stuff comes from Dave Meltzer saying that he doesn't know if she is cleared or not, but that she was not cleared by WWE doctors (and neither was Sting).

This has somehow turned into "she is definitely not medically cleared to wrestle, also Sting is not medically cleared to wrestle".

Though admittedly the "no touching in Grand Slam debut segment" does raise eyebrows circumstantially.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

telling people to ignore something doesn't mean denying it. be careful

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

Unless I missed a SCOOP, all of the "Paige isn't cleared" stuff comes from Dave Meltzer saying that he doesn't know if she is cleared or not, but that she was not cleared by WWE doctors (and neither was Sting).

This has somehow turned into "she is definitely not medically cleared to wrestle, also Sting is not medically cleared to wrestle".

Though admittedly the "no touching in Grand Slam debut segment" does raise eyebrows circumstantially.

He said she was not cleared as of very recently. So either he's wrong (would not be surprising) or he's right but he reported it as if she is not cleared and said she would like to be cleared.

A no touching segment in someone's debut doesn't raise any eyebrows.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I actually thought it was cool as hell that Saraya's mere presence was enough to clear the heels without even having to get physical. But yes who knows what comes next

Even though I am a fan it certainly is funny how much she stood out on looks alone in WWE at the time and how much she fits in perfectly instead in AEW. Thank you, Vince and Johnny and hopefully Bucky Beaver soon, for leaving the industry and helping take your vile beliefs about women with you

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I actually thought it was cool as hell that Saraya's mere presence was enough to clear the heels without even having to get physical. But yes who knows what comes next

Even though I am a fan it certainly is funny how much she stood out on looks alone in WWE at the time and how much she fits in perfectly instead in AEW. Thank you, Vince and Johnny and hopefully Bucky Beaver soon, for leaving the industry and helping take your vile beliefs about women with you

Good news, Dunn is stronger than ever!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Has Agogo been wrestling on Dark? Because I swore I saw his name in some Dark results but otherwise I haven't seen hide nor hair of him.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ChrisBTY posted:

Has Agogo been wrestling on Dark? Because I swore I saw his name in some Dark results but otherwise I haven't seen hide nor hair of him.

He's had a handful of AEW Youtube matches over the summer.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=23823&page=4

A couple of matches elsewhere too.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ChrisBTY posted:

Hes been about the UK indies a fair bit recently

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Feels like he was a Cody project, and now Cody's on the other side, Ogogo's a relatively green dude with no-one going to bat for him to get TV time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Wonder how strong of a contract he has, or if whoever is actually in charge now (Stephanie?) even dislikes him.

I don't think I've ever heard a good word about him and certainly didn't like his camera style when I watched WWE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wonder how strong of a contract he has, or if whoever is actually in charge now (Stephanie?) even dislikes him.

I don't think I've ever heard a good word about him and certainly didn't like his camera style when I watched WWE.

He's basically #3 in the company.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Does anyone have or can obtain the who did HHH bury thread from a few years back?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

This isn't the first or even the hundredth time WWE has disappointed me. But it is a time.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Defenestrategy posted:

Like is she a good wrestler? Is she consisered great on the mic by the standards of tyool 2022? or is this more along the lines of someone bringing honky tonk man back and people going "I MEMBER THAT!"
She pretty much paved the way for the Charlotte/Becky/Bayley/Sasha NXT era, and was far and away better than the majority of the Divas - which isn't saying much in that era, but she had some good ones with the more talented portion of the roster, so yeah she's good. I have no idea how she wrestles now post-injury though. She'll likely have to change up her style to avoid certain kinds of bumps.

Though it's worth noting that WWE declaring you have a career-ending injury isn't necessarily actually career-ending. See also: Bryan Danielson, Edge, etc. But I can't imagine she has that many years left in her even if she's good to go.

Where's Mercedes Martinez, BTW? She's still ROH Women's champion but she hasn't wrestled anywhere since July. Injury?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

A lot of folks told themselves that it was only Vince who kept Dunn around.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

IIRC, there was a story that came out a while back that basically said the only reason Dunn is still there is because he's basically the only person who can do his job right now (because he drove out anyone else who tried to get their foot in his particular door), and it was decided not to rock the boat further, what with all the other changes that have been going on.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Did Akira Taue have any students? Misawa had Marufuji, Kotaro Suzuki, while Kobashi had KENTA and Shiozaki. Even Kawada had Taichi, for what it was worth. I'm just not sure about Taue?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

Did Akira Taue have any students? Misawa had Marufuji, Kotaro Suzuki, while Kobashi had KENTA and Shiozaki. Even Kawada had Taichi, for what it was worth. I'm just not sure about Taue?

He had a hand in training Sugiura

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

didn't morishima pretty much become a taue guy immediately before he knew anything?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Suplex Liberace posted:

Does anyone have or can obtain the who did HHH bury thread from a few years back?

Here it is:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607447&perpage=40&noseen=1

Archives are needed.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Primo Carnera, apparently. Gimmick might be too strong but when you have a guy who was a boxing World Heavyweight Champion, you bill him that way.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dawgstar posted:

The internet told me Dunn's dad saved weeks' worth of tapes from a burning car, and for that, Kevin was given a lush job for life he was awful at

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Thank you!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Red posted:

The internet told me Dunn's dad saved weeks' worth of tapes from a burning car, and for that, Kevin was given a lush job for life he was awful at

Yeah, I've heard that as well. He was one of the weird examples of Vince Loyalty like his limo driver who's in the Hall of Fame and other folks who were set up for life. That said I also buy the explanation Dunn's bullied his way to the point where only he can do his job, either by getting rid of people who could do his job better (so basically anybody) or nobody wants to put up with him.

Why IS Mr. James Dudley who apparently only drove Vince Sr.'s limo in the hall of fame?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Why IS Mr. James Dudley who apparently only drove Vince Sr.'s limo in the hall of fame?

You may have heard of his kids, Bubba, Devon, and Spike?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i feel bad about what i said yesterday, which is a few posts up. everyone ignored it due to being embarrassed for me. thank you for the sympathy.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

how protected was the People's Elbow?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As I recall, it was treated like Rock was styling on his opponent. Not really a finisher.

I don't think Rock ever really had a protected finisher. There was thus video game logic where the Rock Bottom was easy to hit but didn't do Tombstone Piledriver damage.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Halloween Jack posted:

As I recall, it was treated like Rock was styling on his opponent. Not really a finisher.

I don't think Rock ever really had a protected finisher. There was thus video game logic where the Rock Bottom was easy to hit but didn't do Tombstone Piledriver damage.

At the beginning of the people’s elbow it started that way, but once it got as over as it did it became his primary finisher. It always got kicked out of during the big matches though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Halloween Jack posted:

yeah, I always saw the People's Elbow as the equivalent of like, drawing dicks on your opponent's face after you've knocked him out

he could just go for the pin, but that wouldn't be... electrifying