Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Has Sanji's Okama Kenpo cooking ever been brought up again since it was first mentioned? I vaguely recall it coming up on Punk Hazard maybe? Between Franky, Chopper, Nami, Usopp, and Sanji Luffy's crew is actually one of the more 'technologically' advanced crews we've seen and it would be dope if this arc with Vegapunk brings back and maybe even enhances some of those older skillsets since most of this crew likes to tinker more than train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Super Rad posted:

Has Sanji's Okama Kenpo cooking ever been brought up again since it was first mentioned? I vaguely recall it coming up on Punk Hazard maybe? Between Franky, Chopper, Nami, Usopp, and Sanji Luffy's crew is actually one of the more 'technologically' advanced crews we've seen and it would be dope if this arc with Vegapunk brings back and maybe even enhances some of those older skillsets since most of this crew likes to tinker more than train.

Unfortunately no it has not, and you are correct that we haven't heard anything about Kempo cooking since Sanji fed the community post-PH victory cooldown.

I was actually pretty disappointed, that was a cool idea! Would have been amazing to watch some of the crew power up from the superfood they ate, but I guess extra muscle power ain't useful when you fight Big Mom and Kaido, both of which are rampaging meat cubes :shrug:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my guess would be that kenpo cooking was oda's initial idea for helping sanji to keep relative power parity, but he eventually decided to lean more into the germa augmentations angle and leave the "guy with weird toolkit of situational tricks" gimmick more to usopp

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

P-Mack posted:

And that's why it whips that Luffy's big dramatic display of resolve in that arc isn't "I'm going to beat Enel and save the island”, it's "I'm gonna ring that bell!”

Look at this horrible hot take. Symbolism is important

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ubiquitus posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but "whips" is a good thing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

one piece whips

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Do yall think Duval or Cavindish would be affected by the Love Love fruit?

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Meme Emulator posted:

Do yall think Duval or Cavindish would be affected by the Love Love fruit?

Duval yes, Cavendish no

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Canvindish would no sell it at first but the next panel Hakuba pops out and it turns out bloodlust is still lust.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Rereading one piece physical again is magical. I pay so much more attention to the art than when I'm reading online for some reason. I'm most of the way through EMPEROR BUGGY and lmao.
But man I forgot how brutal the shanks pirates are

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ubiquitus posted:

uhhhh

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Vermain posted:

my guess would be that kenpo cooking was oda's initial idea for helping sanji to keep relative power parity, but he eventually decided to lean more into the germa augmentations angle and leave the "guy with weird toolkit of situational tricks" gimmick more to usopp

real answer is toriko was at its peak and he didn’t wanna take away from his irl nakama

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RC Cola posted:

Rereading one piece physical again is magical. I pay so much more attention to the art than when I'm reading online for some reason. I'm most of the way through EMPEROR BUGGY and lmao.
But man I forgot how brutal the shanks pirates are

Lucky Roux, fastest man on the Grand Line.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Nami's boobs are normal sized. I forgot about that

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

White Light posted:

Unfortunately no it has not, and you are correct that we haven't heard anything about Kempo cooking since Sanji fed the community post-PH victory cooldown.

I was actually pretty disappointed, that was a cool idea! Would have been amazing to watch some of the crew power up from the superfood they ate, but I guess extra muscle power ain't useful when you fight Big Mom and Kaido, both of which are rampaging meat cubes :shrug:

The implication is that it's happening in the background. Sort of a passive buff to all the off screen training that is always happening. Sanji's cooking is like Nami's navigating, it's always going on but only very occasionally is actually shown.

Whenever you don't see them on panel, and they aren't explicitly doing something else, it's safe to assume that
  • Luffy is goofing around while eating
  • Zoro is lifting weights or cleaning his swords
  • Nami is navigating or scheming at making money
  • Usopp is tinkering around with his seeds or gadgets
  • Sanji is kenpo cooking and annoying the gently caress out of any woman within 5 miles
  • Vivi is probably currently on the lamb and dodging sky lasers with Sabo
  • Chopper is doing vague medical poo poo and eating cotton candy
  • Robin is reading up on current and historical events
  • Franky is mad sciencing around in between maintaining/repairing the Sunny
  • Brook is probably just goofing off with Luffy, though he might be jamming
  • Jinbe is doing dad hobbies

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gyges posted:

• Jinbe is doing dad hobbies
Jinbe already has a O-scale model train layout in the Sunny's hold.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jon Irenicus posted:

Duval yes, Cavendish no

Oh come to think of it, unless a reindeer ate the Love Love fruit, Chopper would be immune too

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
my favorite part of one piece is when they one piece

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Meme Emulator posted:

Oh come to think of it, unless a reindeer ate the Love Love fruit, Chopper would be immune too

Fujitora would probably be immune too

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

P-Mack posted:

And that's why it whips that Luffy's big dramatic display of resolve in that arc isn't "I'm going to beat Enel and save the island”, it's "I'm gonna ring that bell!”

I think Skypiea also rules because it's one of the very few actual adventure islands in the series.

Like, Luffy hears about Sky Island from Robin, decides he wants to go there, and the gang to go Jaya and meet Montblanc Cricket and his crew and they work together to secure a path before it's too late. Also Bellamy is there and we get one of the most iconic punches in the manga. I'd say it was "The Punch" until we got to Saboady where Luffy punched Charlos.

Generally, the gang don't really go blindly into things, most of their visits to islands are by necessity or because it's part of an overarching quest.

Like the Baratie arc is because the crew realizes they need a cook, and also because Luffy accidentally shoots a canon at the restaurant while fighting the Marines. This leads to Arlong Park because Nami makes off with the Going Merry so Luffy wants to get his ship back + convince Nami to rejoin them.

The Alabasta arc is also a series of adventures that are all focused on the goal of beating Crocodile and saving Vivi's nation, with stops like Drum Island being of necessity (to get a doctor to treat Nami).

Water Seven was yet another necessity as the crew needed to fix their ship, and Enies Lobby is a Robin Rescue arc that's intertwined with Water Seven.

Thriller Bark is the gang getting caught by a trap.

Saboady is a necessary stop before going to Fishman Island, Thriller Punk is a detour caused by a distress call (Luffy originally wanted to visit the most dangerous island offered by the Log Pose, which was the island with constant lightning that Smoker was waiting for him in), and Dressaroa was the result of an alliance with Law. Zou is a meetup point for the alliance, Whole Cake Island is the Sanji Rescue arc, and Wano is also a part of the alliance with Law and also a promise with the samurais.

But in the case of Skypiea, the gang had the option of just waiting for their Log Pose to reset, because nobody believed Sky Island existed. But Luffy decides he wants to go to Sky Island instead of waiting it out. Also, the vast, jungles, the various trials, the new culture of Skypiea, etc. just make it a really neat adventure, up until around Luffy & Sanji & Ussop beat Satori.

So it rocks.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some stuff on reread:

Funny that Bellamy's crew gets this full introduction and it turns out that they're all entitled rich kids who decided to go out and play pirate (which is why Dofflamingo doesn't care for Bellamy).

This is a nice moment between Nami and Ussop, I sorta miss these kinds of moments. I like that the Straw Hats are a bigger crew, but it does sorta come at the expense of the more personal moments between characters, I think.

This page is neat because for once, Ussop's the one not freaking out while Sanji is. (Nami always freaks out so she doesn't count.)

This one's pretty cute cause it's early on in the adventure and Chopper is still new to the whole pirate thing (since he joined mid-Alabasta saga), so he's stoked to be in a beach for the first time ever, and it's not just even a regular beach, it's a cloud beach on Sky Island.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 28, 2022

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Not being attracted to Hancock only prevents you from being made stone by her beams. She can make anything she kicks turn to stone seemingly.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly I really dig the Nami and Ussop friendship cause they bond over being the 2 weak ones in the crew, so they have a sort of understanding with one another.

You see them work together a lot, like in the aftermath of Thriller Punk and during Wano (where they, uh, lose to Page One and Ulti). And they end up meeting each other first after the 2-year timeskip, where Nami's so happy to see Ussop again. It's cute. Real nakama stuff.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I loving love One Piece, I can go on the SJ app and open up any chapter and just start reading from there and I'll have a blast.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Aight mb, I’m old and new age words slip past me I guess :shrug:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ubiquitus posted:

Aight mb, I’m old and new age words slip past me I guess :shrug:

That's cracked, yo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Luffy has a lot of faith in Zoro's abilities so he's surprised to find Zoro defeated.

This scene's pretty dope. Also the scene where Zoro, Gan Fall, Wiper, and Ohm get into a 4-way battle (though mostly it's Zoro fighting Wiper and Ohm fighting Gan Fall cause Gan Fall has no reason to fight Zoro or Wiper).

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Skypiea is really the best arc

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
the actual best arc is the one after skypeia

G-8..............

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

hatty posted:

Skypiea is really the best arc

Wiper honestly rules too.

Like there's a lot of strong helper dudes in each arc with a strong tie to the arc in question. Like King Neptune and his sons in Fishman Island, Kyros in Dressarosa, the Samurai in Wano, etc. etc. I guess you could also count like Pell and Chaka in Alabasta and the Galley-la carpenters in Water Seven/

But Wiper's the only one who actually fights on same level as Luffy/Zoro/Sanji, and the dude actually does manage to kill Enel for a brief moment before Enel uses his god hax powers to come back to life. Also he's a lot more hostile towards the Straw Hats than the other dudes because he only really joins forces with them in the fight against Enel; he actually spends quite a lot of time fighting Zoro or Luffy before that. Heck, he's the very first dude to attack the Straw Hats when they arrive. His story's also pretty compelling too; he just comes off as Angry Warrior Man (with a very valid reason for his anger) but once you learn about his tribe's history with Noland and consider the fact that his people have been fighting to reclaim their homeland for centuries you get a lot of sympathy for the dude.

Which is honestly what makes the survival battle royale in Skypiea pretty fun, because you have 3 parties in Enel and his lackeys, the Shandlia Warriors, and the Straw Hats, with Gan Fall being like a hidden 4th party who's not really hostile towards the Warriors or the Straw Hats. Heck, Wiper takes out one of Enel's elites by himself. You have stuff like Chopper saving one of Gedatsu's minions from being drowned and then the minion immediately decides to team up with Chopper because he's loving sick and tired of having to serve an idiot (and then he's immediately jet punched into oblivion by Gedatsu because Gedatsu may be one of the dumbest dudes to exist in One Piece but he's still strong).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Luffy has a lot of faith in Zoro's abilities so he's surprised to find Zoro defeated.

I think my favorite instance of this is back on Little Garden when Mr 5 (i think that’s the nose bomb dude) starts gloating that they captured Zoro and Luffy just starts laughing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The moment where Zoro rushes over to grab Wiper's seastone after Enel revives and takes out Wiper is interesting because we never really see seastone used by the Straw Hats, except when Ussop captures Caesar Clown in Thriller Punk.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Last Celebration posted:

I think my favorite instance of this is back on Little Garden when Mr 5 (i think that’s the nose bomb dude) starts gloating that they captured Zoro and Luffy just starts laughing.

That part has one of my (and a lot of people's, I assume) favorite Zoro bits where the gang's being turned into wax statues and Zoro initially tries to cut off his feet to free himself and fight, and then later gives up and decides to strike a cool pose before he dies. Or maybe it was the other way around.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

jinbe has a lot in common with bobby bacala

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Funky Valentine posted:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

That part has one of my (and a lot of people's, I assume) favorite Zoro bits where the gang's being turned into wax statues and Zoro initially tries to cut off his feet to free himself and fight, and then later gives up and decides to strike a cool pose before he dies. Or maybe it was the other way around.

I think it’s that way, Zoro stopped giving a duck once Luffy and co got there because the situation was handled or they were FUBAR anyway.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Zoro rules.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

:hai:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Funky Valentine posted:

And hes tended a bunch of bonsai as landscape for it. and hes making cheese and alcohol.

He makes tiny kegs and cheese wheels for the trains to deliver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth